Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Happyninja42 said:
erttheking said:
Happyninja42 said:
I'm not crazy about Widowmaker, but according to her backstory she was kidnapped and brainwashed.

This makes her sexualization kind of freaking creepy to be frank.
It doesn't make it any less sexualized.
Well I'm not claiming that she isn't, just that she isn't the old "Killing makes me feel alive" thing.

Fucking freaky when you think about it though...

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
erttheking said:
Well I'm not claiming that she isn't, just that she isn't the old "Killing makes me feel alive" thing.

Fucking freaky when you think about it though...
I dunno... Soldiers report that they get that elated feeling wen fighting combatants and killing the enemy to keep them and their squad buddies alive.

sort of the old "I'm alive and you're not" thrill that Romans used to go for when watching death battles in the Colosseum.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
erttheking said:
I was very, very disappointed by the backstory of Widowmaker on the homepage.
Because it was first of all a somewhat rehash of Kerrigan, which at that time wasn't that long ago, and secondly a female victim trope.
It was like the writers at Blizzard think women can't be evil or something.
Back then I proposed a rather small change which would avoid the victim trope with the same outcome and just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass here is the post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.864725-The-female-characters-in-Overwatch-look-pretty-darn-cool?page=4#21611435
So yea I like that the Alive short kind of goes more into that direction.
I'm also pleased that Tracer does not win despite being made the face of Overwatch.
Also if you want to build a villain than he or she has to pose a threat, having them defeat a hero once in a while is what keeps the tension.

As for the game itself... I won't play it.
MP shooters are simply not my thing anymore. If it had a campaign then maybe, but MP only? Pass.

As for the aesthetics. I like it. I like Disney 3D animations as well and this is pretty close.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
KaraFang said:
(but my god, could Blizzard ship them any harder? Widows sniper rifle looks more than powerful to shoot through tracers head and kill her actual target, but no she shoots through the time anchor letting tracer live. Are they going for the "erotic hate" thing? - all I know is prepare for Deviant art to get swamped again.)
Huh, I assumed she targeted the anchor on purpose to fool Tracer into dodging the shot, thus hitting her actual target and getting the kill.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
TravelerSF said:
KaraFang said:
(but my god, could Blizzard ship them any harder? Widows sniper rifle looks more than powerful to shoot through tracers head and kill her actual target, but no she shoots through the time anchor letting tracer live. Are they going for the "erotic hate" thing? - all I know is prepare for Deviant art to get swamped again.)
Huh, I assumed she targeted the anchor on purpose to fool Tracer into dodging the shot, thus hitting her actual target and getting the kill.
I just re-watched it to double check and ran that scene in slow mo.... Tracer looks shocked that she's fired at her, yes, but doesn't from my viewing trigger blink like she normally does. She actually looks helpless in that scene.

When she "blinks" back to the rooftop, she's frantically patting herself down and looks very confused at the time anchors primary energy front port. I think she expected to have been shot... and was very confused as to why she wasn't.

I don't think she blinked herself, I think the time anchor did that itself, maybe due to how it works when the shell hit the centre of the anchor?

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but the body language seems wrong...

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
KaraFang said:
Corey Schaff said:
Zhukov said:
As an aside, Zhukov, what was cheese in the dialogue? She's explaining her original fears of spiders and now comparing herself to one? Was that what you meant? I thought that was rather good myself, explains why she goes to such lengths for the kill...
Personally it's more everything they said. Explaining her fear of spiders, fine, but it wasn't needed to go as far into detail and draw as much time out of it as they could. Tracer in the orignal trailer with her "watcha lookin' at?" thing was well-done I thought, same with Winston as he was blocking the shots with "enjoying the exhibit?".

But this...Tracer going over the comms like that just felt out of place and she and Widowmaker's accents have always seemed like they were trying too hard so the more you hear of them that isn't some manner of grunt just sticks the point home more and more. And as I said in another post, the overdramatic "NOOOO" at the end. Just alot of it was unnecessary and felt like it took away from the sequence more than added to it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
KaraFang said:
As an aside, Zhukov, what was cheese in the dialogue? She's explaining her original fears of spiders and now comparing herself to one? Was that what you meant? I thought that was rather good myself, explains why she goes to such lengths for the kill...
If you don't consider the "spideehr" bookends to be cheesy then I don't think we're going to agree on this.
But aside from that there was the, "Trying to crash another party, love?" and "Looks like the party is over."

The exaggerated accents take it well and truly over the line. Over my line at least.

It's not really a criticism, just a matter of taste. Besides, a bit of cheesiness won't kill me.

(PS- did anyone see the blue hatted sniper in the picture Winston was looking at? Is that Marie before she was captured and brainwashed to killer her husband. If it is, man she looks awesome, I want that as a Widow-maker skin and voice change pack)
99% sure that's actually Pharah's mother.

There's in-game dialogue between Winston and Pharah that indicates that Pharah's mum was a founding member of Overwatch. Winston refers to her as "an inspiration to us all" or something like that. However, he does so in the past tense, implying that she's dead. The woman in the picture looks a bit like Pharah, same build, skin tone and hair colour.

Fairly certain Widowmaker wasn't a combatant before she was brainwashed.

Jan 19, 2016
Zhukov said:
According to her bio on the Overwatch website, Widowmaker was the (civilian) wife of an Overwatch member. She was kidnapped and brainwashed into assassinating her husband (after several previous assassins failed), and then defected to the bad guys, where she underwent her transformation into her current form.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bilious Green said:
Zhukov said:
According to her bio on the Overwatch website, Widowmaker was the (civilian) wife of an Overwatch member. She was kidnapped and brainwashed into assassinating her husband (after several previous assassins failed), and then defected to the bad guys, where she underwent her transformation into her current form.
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't actually refer to her as a civilian. It doesn't say what she was or did before being brainwashed.

However, since they only refer to her as someone's wife I'm assuming she was a civilian.

Jan 19, 2016
Zhukov said:
Bilious Green said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't actually refer to her as a civilian. It doesn't say what she was or did before being brainwashed.

However, since they only refer to her as someone's wife I'm assuming she was a civilian.
I got the impression that it was implying that she was chosen because she was close to the target and was not someone who would ever be suspected of being a double agent. While it doesn't explicitly say so, it feels fairly strongly implied (IMO).

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Zhukov said:
KaraFang said:
If you don't consider the "spideehr" bookends to be cheesy then I don't think we're going to agree on this.
But aside from that there was the, "Trying to crash another party, love?" and "Looks like the party is over."

The exaggerated accents take it well and truly over the line. Over my line at least.

It's not really a criticism, just a matter of taste. Besides, a bit of cheesiness won't kill me.
I thought that was due to the comic book feel they are going for? IE, the exaggerated- stereotyped -accents and dialogue fitted. I suppose they were "cheese" but personally I found they fit well.

Maybe it is personal taste. :) S'all good.

PS - I can confirm they do not say Marie is a civilian, just easier to obtain than her husband. So, if she was just an ordinary Overwatch soldier then she "could" be the sniper. Who knows. (I just think the sniper in Winston's photo looks awesome)

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
KaraFang said:
TravelerSF said:
KaraFang said:
I just re-watched it to double check and ran that scene in slow mo.... Tracer looks shocked that she's fired at her, yes, but doesn't from my viewing trigger blink like she normally does. She actually looks helpless in that scene.

When she "blinks" back to the rooftop, she's frantically patting herself down and looks very confused at the time anchors primary energy front port. I think she expected to have been shot... and was very confused as to why she wasn't.

I don't think she blinked herself, I think the time anchor did that itself, maybe due to how it works when the shell hit the centre of the anchor?

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but the body language seems wrong...
Just rewatched it myself, you seem to be right. Though it still doesn't seem to me that Widowmaker purposefully let Tracer live. Either she

A) Aimed at the anchor, somehow knowing it'd teleport Tracer out of the way, thus allowing her to hit the... robot monk guy. This is assuming that her weapon couldn't accurately hit both of them.
B) Aimed at the anchor purely because of her position in air and the trajectory of the bullet, trying to shoot both Tracer and her target with the same shot. This is assuming, of course, that she could accurately hit both of them with a single bullet. I'm not a weapons expert, I don't know which is more feasible.

Overall I don't see them having that kind of relationship. Widowmaker seems more indifferent, and sometimes slightly amused by Tracer, nothing more.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
TravelerSF said:
Just rewatched it myself, you seem to be right. Though it still doesn't seem to me that Widowmaker purposefully let Tracer live. Either she

A) Aimed at the anchor, somehow knowing it'd teleport Tracer out of the way, thus allowing her to hit the... robot monk guy. This is assuming that her weapon couldn't accurately hit both of them.
B) Aimed at the anchor purely because of her position in air and the trajectory of the bullet, trying to shoot both Tracer and her target with the same shot. This is assuming, of course, that she could accurately hit both of them with a single bullet. I'm not a weapons expert, I don't know which is more feasible.

Overall I don't see them having that kind of relationship. Widowmaker seems more indifferent, and sometimes slightly amused by Tracer, nothing more.
Oh, believe me, I don't see the Tracer/Widowmaker "romantic" pairing myself either. (Although I am in the minority compared to Dev Art and the internet in general :p )

I do think that this movie may suggest Widow let Tracer live because she finds her a challenge during the chase and it makes her feel alive - She almost seemed amused/fond of her foe. Maybe they're Frenemies? Is that the word? LOL.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
KaraFang said:
Oh, believe me, I don't see the Tracer/Widowmaker "romantic" pairing myself either. (Although I am in the minority compared to Dev Art and the internet in general :p )

I do think that this movie may suggest Widow let Tracer live because she finds her a challenge during the chase and it makes her feel alive - She almost seemed amused/fond of her foe. Maybe they're Frenemies? Is that the word? LOL.
Foe-bros? Well, the story is still thin, I suppose we'll get a better understanding of Widowmaker and her relationship with other characters in the future. Biggest question being if she even has any, does she form any sort if opinions about them, or if she's just always focused on the next kill.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
B-Cell said:
So overwatch in general is animu girly FPS. great!!
@B-Cell how is Overwatch animu or girly? also when does using melee only in Shadow warrior get fun?

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
TravelerSF said:
KaraFang said:

Foe-bros? Well, the story is still thin, I suppose we'll get a better understanding of Widowmaker and her relationship with other characters in the future. Biggest question being if she even has any, does she form any sort if opinions about them, or if she's just always focused on the next kill.
She DOES joke (even if it is cruel) with Tracer that "ze party appears to be over.." when she could have simply shot her. Instead she just slings her gun into a relaxed pose...

Oh, and lets not forget the "Au Revior Cherie" and then she slammed her into the wall -she could have killed tracer easily as the british lass was out of it. Instead, she simply leaves smiling.

They have "something" going on. I just dunno what it is.

Immature aside! - I'm going to be VERRA immature and say that if they "were" a couple, the angry sex would be incredible :p .

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Bombiz said:
B-Cell said:
So overwatch in general is animu girly FPS. great!!
@B-Cell how is Overwatch animu or girly? also when does using melee only in Shadow warrior get fun?
melee is not only fun in shadow warrior despite it has best meelee in FPS game. its fast paced old school badass game. and sequel looks even bigger.