Oh look, another Dark Souls is lame thread.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Andrew Andrew said:
ClockWyze said:
The enemies and bosses get HARDER on each playthrough all the way through NG7.

The platinum/achievements trophies are incredibly rewarding with a large number of secrets and hidden areas.
You can't get the final trophy/achievement without spending a ton of time.

The PvP system is phenomenal with many different covenants and dozens of different builds including players that hunt down sinners (Darkmoons), play as dragons, co-op together (Sunbros), invade as evil dudes (darkwraiths) and so on.
There are dozens of well known live streamers on Twitch etc that play Dark Souls PvP all day every day with hundreds of followers.

And difficulty? You haven't even been invaded yet by someone.
That is a key part of the game.

Most players get raped during their first invasion by a real person when they're human because they're not geared yet.
And they don't know the ropes well yet. It can be very challenging.
How do the bosses get harder? Is it because their tactics change or is it because they have slightly faster animations?

I haven't done pvp yet as I don't know how to make it work, but what it seems to me is that the person with the better equipment wins. Unless its the person that just backstabs you so I'm not sure the pvp sounds all the interesting either.
A combination of the two and some other things. Come back and talk about the bosses when after you fight these two
http://pinoytekkie.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/smough-and-ornstein.jpg
I guarantee you that you won't be thinking the same way.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Consider the source. You are being insulted by an Escapist version of Billy Mitchell. Just take a deep breath and let it roll off your back.

DOTA 2 is an absolutely ridiculous analogue for Dark Souls. You might as well compare Chess to Super Mario. They're not remotely similar and they require completely different skill sets.
Aww you're too sweet. I'm not that good at video games. But Dark souls and dota have more in common than you think. Just because they are presented differently doesn't mean the skills involved are dissimilar.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Andrew Andrew said:
Aww you're too sweet. I'm not that good at video games. But Dark souls and dota have more in common than you think. Just because they are presented differently doesn't mean the skills involved are dissimilar.
They're completely dissimilar.

They both require iterative knowledge and they both require spatial awareness, but those are general gaming skills. You could just as easily attempt to compare a flight simulator to a puzzle game if you want to be that general about it.

The skill cap in Dark Souls is almost entirely about twitch and pattern recognition. Old school arcade players would feel very at home.

The skill cap in DOTA is primarily concerned with team cohesion and coordination.

One is a team multiplayer game, the other is a single player RPG with a garnish of occasional deathmatches.

Other than the fact they both have a "D" in the title there's virtually nothing to link them. It's like shit talking someone who is good at basketball because he's a poor hand at model ship building.

And really, unless you're a professional gamer, Billy, you should probably lay off the shit talking entirely. It's not flattering, and it's going to end up with you neck deep in multiple flame wars.

erttheking said:
A combination of the two and some other things. Come back and talk about the bosses when after you fight these two. I guarantee you that you won't be thinking the same way.
You know, I feel like those two got oversold. I beat them on my first try. A very long, very stressful try that ate all my potions and firepots, but my first try nonetheless.

I found Stray Demon much worse for some reason.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Yet another one
Andrew Andrew said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Consider the source. You are being insulted by an Escapist version of Billy Mitchell. Just take a deep breath and let it roll off your back.

DOTA 2 is an absolutely ridiculous analogue for Dark Souls. You might as well compare Chess to Super Mario. They're not remotely similar and they require completely different skill sets.
What? Basic hand eye coordination? Having a hand and an eye? That's the only similarities I can think of.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Remaiki said:
krazykidd said:
The game rewards experimentation , i do sometimes wonder ,why don't people experiment more ? Why don't they try to figure things out on their own? Why must we tell them EVERYTHING ? But that's just me . I just find it weird that no one TRIES anymore . Everything seemingly have to be given to them in advance , or not we get frustrated .
Well, my take on it is that people don't want to be finding mechanics that could very well not exist. If the game goes "here this is what you have to learn," then people spend less time chasing things may not exist and more actually learning and getting good at the damn mechanics.

Of course, I'm talking about mechanics here, not like the Alchemy in Skyrim(if I remember correctly), which is a clear defined mechanic that actually includes experimentation.
Sure , if you NEED those things to survive . But on dark souls you don't . Not mentioning the fact that most, if not all ,those things are written in the asylum . Hell i'm sure you could beat the game without blocking, let alone running . To run you just need to hold down one button , and the OP didn't figure that out , i mean seriously, the mentality of gamers need to change . I remember reading about testers who played Dishonored , and didn't go up some staires because a guard in game told them not to . They didn't even try . Had they tried they would have been able to go . That's an extreme example , and it seems to be more and more typically of gamers now a days .

Yes i know not everyone is as experienced in gaming , i get that , but for crying out loud , try , try different button combinations , try something, who knows maybe you'll find somethinf usefull.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:

They both require iterative knowledge and they both require spatial awareness, but those are general gaming skills. You could just as easily attempt to compare a flight simulator to a puzzle game if you want to be that general about it.

The skill cap in Dark Souls is almost entirely about twitch and pattern recognition. Old school arcade players would feel very at home.

The skill cap in DOTA is primarily concerned with team cohesion and coordination.
Knowledge of enemy capabilities, positioning, and equipment. Yes Dota 2 has more with its team components but from a single person perspective they are similar.

BloatedGuppy said:
And really, unless you're a professional gamer, Billy, you should probably lay off the shit talking entirely. It's not flattering, and it's going to end up with you neck deep in multiple flame wars.
My name isn't Billy. No I'm not a professional gamer but I had dreams at one point.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Andrew Andrew said:
Knowledge of enemy capabilities, positioning, and equipment. Yes Dota 2 has more with its team components but from a single person perspective they are similar.
Again, that's iterative knowledge. You need that for every fucking game you'll ever play. It does not imply that they are remotely similar, and the way you apply that knowledge is completely different.

BloatedGuppy said:
My name isn't Billy. No I'm not a professional gamer but I had dreams at one point.
Oh for god's sake I know that and YOU KNOW WHY I AM CALLING YOU BILLY.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
krazykidd said:
To run you just need to hold down one button , and the OP didn't figure that out , i mean seriously, the mentality of gamers need to change . I remember reading about testers who played Dishonored , and didn't go up some staires because a guard in game told them not to . They didn't even try . Had they tried they would have been able to go . That's an extreme example , and it seems to be more and more typically of gamers now a days
You are referring to how to keep a flea from jumping out of a jar. Put it in a jar with a lid and and the flea will hit its back against the lid. After a month, take off the lid and the flea will stay in the jar. Gamers have been trained to do what they are told. Our entire society teaches us to do what we are told. Games are reflective of our culture and if you want games to change, change our culture.

ClockWyze

Feb 5, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
Andrew Andrew said:

One is a team multiplayer game, the other is a single player RPG with a garnish of occasional deathmatches.

Other than the fact they both have a "D" in the title there's virtually nothing to link them. It's like shit talking someone who is good at basketball because he's a poor hand at model ship building.

erttheking said:
A combination of the two and some other things. Come back and talk about the bosses when after you fight these two. I guarantee you that you won't be thinking the same way.
You know, I feel like those two got oversold. I beat them on my first try. A very long, very stressful try that ate all my potions and firepots, but my first try nonetheless.

I found Stray Demon much worse for some reason.
"...Billy, you should probably lay off the shit talking entirely. It's not flattering, and it's going to end up with you neck deep in multiple flame wars....."

So I guess Billy has successfully skirted the posting guidelines with an inflammatory and trolling thread. Yay! :) Billy, pat yourself on the back and maybe try for a more mature title next time, other than "XXXX Game is lame".

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
kman123 said:
I love Ninja Gaiden Black. It's one of my favorite games. Well either that or the vanilla version on Xbox. I also love Dark Souls. WOAHHHHHHHH MIND BLOWN.
NO WAI. I think dark souls is ok, but it isn't the amazingness everyone proclaims and it isn't even close to ninja gaiden. I do wish it had an easy mode so I could see the amamzing sights without the dick stomping/snoozefest combat.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
ClockWyze said:
So I guess Billy has successfully skirted the posting guidelines with an inflammatory and trolling thread. Yay! ;) Billy, pat yourself on the back and maybe try for a more mature title next time, other than "XXXX Game is lame".
Bob, This wasn't a troll post (see what I did there ;D). I honestly think Dark Souls could use some reworking and I made a comparison to a much better game. As a teacher myself I found how this game taught its lessons to be inadequate.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Andrew Andrew said:
krazykidd said:
To run you just need to hold down one button , and the OP didn't figure that out , i mean seriously, the mentality of gamers need to change . I remember reading about testers who played Dishonored , and didn't go up some staires because a guard in game told them not to . They didn't even try . Had they tried they would have been able to go . That's an extreme example , and it seems to be more and more typically of gamers now a days
You are referring to how to keep a flea from jumping out of a jar. Put it in a jar with a lid and and the flea will hit its back against the lid. After a month, take off the lid and the flea will stay in the jar. Gamers have been trained to do what they are told. Our entire society teaches us to do what we are told. Games are reflective of our culture and if you want games to change, change our culture.
You're right . You couldn't be more right even . It saddens me just as much as it baffles me . But it wasn't always this way . I think that's why it frustrates me so much . Just to make it clear i'm not looking down on anyone , it just makes me wonder why it has come to this point.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I really shouldn't be posting in one of these silly threads, but well... I dunno.
The OP's problems can be summed as followed:
1. The protagonist doesn't play like a ninja, but like a fragile human, and the gameplay style compensates for such.
2. The game actually punishes you for death.
3. The game doesn't spoon feed you every last detail because apparently the satisfactory tutorial isn't enough.
All three points aren't very good and this is further complicated with the OP barely into the game.

Essentially, OP, your opinion is too uninformed for a thread like this to be taken seriously. Play the game some more before you start bashing it like "Angry Birds isn't a casual game because Farmville is casual."

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
The OP's problems can be summed as followed:
1. The protagonist doesn't play like a ninja, but like a fragile human, and the gameplay style compensates for such.
2. The game actually punishes you for death.
3. The game doesn't spoon feed you every last detail because apparently the satisfactory tutorial isn't enough.
All three points aren't very good and this is further complicated with the OP barely into the game.
1. Fragile human? How many grannies have you seen fast rolling without breaking a hip? And you are given invulnerability during those rolls. That is not fragile human-like but rather ninja-like so your first point is pointless.
2. It doesn't really punish you for death but rather taunts you and wastes your time. Wait what was your point?
3. I don't want spoon fed details and I don't think my post suggests such. Many other people miss very subtle, crucial details in this game so it should indicate the information isn't being conveyed in a generally compatible way.

I don't think your points were very good either, but nine hours is a sufficiently long time for a game to wow me. That is the length of the average game released today and it is very fair to judge a game after 9 hours even if that is 1/5 of the game.

Also, I don't like angry birds very much either. Not casual enough.

Apr 25, 2009
Oh dear, you are a terribly rude poppit aren't you? No icecream for you.

I love Dark Souls, I really do, and I honestly understand where you're coming from here. But Dark Souls is not a game about leaping around dodging bullets and swirling around fighting dozens of enemies at a time with hair-trigger reflex and positioning tests. It's about knowledge and experience. It's about slow methodical progress through a dying, hollowed world, fighting the remnants of desolated civilisations.

It's an experiment in archaic design, much like the first Zelda game, where you learn the patterns of the enemies and what is effective to progress. And there is ALWAYS room to make mistakes even with perfect knowledge, and if you lose the pattern or the flow of the adversaries they will chop off a third of your healthbar in a single swing as punishment. It's just a different KIND of game design. It isn't worse or better, it's just different.

I do agree on your Roguelike statement there, only because that would be fucking incredible to play.

Aug 1, 2010
I really don't know what's worse.

People with little to no understanding of the game making dozens of these threads, or the condescending dicks responding with that stale "Billy" shit.

You're all making the game and its fans look bad. Just stop.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Andrew Andrew said:
1. Fragile human? How many grannies have you seen fast rolling without breaking a hip? And you are given invulnerability during those rolls. That is not fragile human-like but rather ninja-like so your first point is pointless.
Yay for invulnerability frames! Nothing more fun that evading every fucking thing with that wood ring and be a fucking ninja slashing everything.

OT: Yeah, it's a very fun game atmospheric game worth buying and playing, yeah, people that think its OMG soo hard are crazy IMO, and yeah, it has total shit here and there (PvP for example).