Oh look, another Dark Souls is lame thread.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
You know, I feel like those two got oversold. I beat them on my first try. A very long, very stressful try that ate all my potions and firepots, but my first try nonetheless.

I found Stray Demon much worse for some reason.
Huh, I killed the stray demon in two tries (first one I got hit with his aoe shortly after landed which killed me but the second time I had fall control and managed to stay behind him most of the fight.) Whereas as those two killed me many many times. Though part of that was because I'm dumb and tend not to block when fighting enemies wielding weapons bigger than myself.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I just started playing it last week, and it's a pretty good time. I like the whole free roaming exploring deal, even though the difficulty curve is all over the map. I stomped the Gaping Dragon only to get stomped by Quelaaq, and then after some exploring, I got stomped by the Stray Demon before finally getting to stomp the Moonlight Butterfly. I say stomp in every case because, with the exception of the Capra Demon, every fight I've had has been an exceedingly one-sided affair (I've gotten Quelaag to half health once and the stray demon shuts me down in one hit every time). I also respect how much the game makes me watch my step, but I still died more in Blighttown from crap camera angles than I did from actual enemies. The game is definitely with its imperfections, but I'm looking forward to the bigger and badder weapons.

On a related note, to Dark Souls vets, I'm using a +6 hand axe which feels woefully underwhelming against most enemies, although the stats for everything I own save for the massive axes seem roughly comparable. Am I right in my opinion of my weapon's crappiness, and am I missing something that would fix this? I've been levelling up health and stamina and have been depending on gold pine resin and pyromancy to prevent boss fights from becoming overly long Monster Hunter-style standoffs, and again I'm only in Blighttown. I have the divine ember, but I don't know how to get the titanite that makes divine weapons, if this would help me at all.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
I just started playing it last week, and it's a pretty good time. I like the whole free roaming exploring deal, even though the difficulty curve is all over the map. I stomped the Gaping Dragon only to get stomped by Quelaaq, and then after some exploring, I got stomped by the Stray Demon before finally getting to stomp the Moonlight Butterfly. I say stomp in every case because, with the exception of the Capra Demon, every fight I've had has been an exceedingly one-sided affair (I've gotten Quelaag to half health once and the stray demon shuts me down in one hit every time). I also respect how much the game makes me watch my step, but I still died more in Blighttown from crap camera angles than I did from actual enemies. The game is definitely with its imperfections, but I'm looking forward to the bigger and badder weapons.

On a related note, to Dark Souls vets, I'm using a +6 hand axe which feels woefully underwhelming against most enemies, although the stats for everything I own save for the massive axes seem roughly comparable. Am I right in my opinion of my weapon's crappiness, and am I missing something that would fix this? I've been levelling up health and stamina and have been depending on gold pine resin and pyromancy to prevent boss fights from becoming overly long Monster Hunter-style standoffs, and again I'm only in Blighttown. I have the divine ember, but I don't know how to get the titanite that makes divine weapons, if this would help me at all.
The axe isn't a bad weapon to start with but I don't recomend keeping it. I'd find anouther weapon with a better moveset and reach to upgrade. Dose it scale well with your highest offensive stat? cause that helps. I don't remeber what it scales with. Divine weapons are for faith based characters or fighting the skeletons in the catacombs so if you have high faith you might want to consider getting one. The tinanite for that is a common drop from the leaches in the swamp area of blighttown
If you don't have good stats for scaling on the weapons you want to use make yourself a lighting weapon when you get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
erttheking said:
A combination of the two and some other things. Come back and talk about the bosses when after you fight these two
http://pinoytekkie.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/smough-and-ornstein.jpg
I guarantee you that you won't be thinking the same way.
If he couldn't figure out how to run on his own, I don't think he'll even make it to those two.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I hate to roll up and be 'that guy' to.

but.

Ninja Gaiden Black wasn't that hard, not gonna say I steam rolled it, but it didn't give me much trouble.

anyway, you kinda lost all kinds of credibility for your argument when you started trying to compare an ARPG to a MOBA

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
I really shouldn't be posting in one of these silly threads, but well... I dunno.
The OP's problems can be summed as followed:
1. The protagonist doesn't play like a ninja, but like a fragile human, and the gameplay style compensates for such.
2. The game actually punishes you for death.
3. The game doesn't spoon feed you every last detail because apparently the satisfactory tutorial isn't enough.
All three points aren't very good and this is further complicated with the OP barely into the game.

Essentially, OP, your opinion is too uninformed for a thread like this to be taken seriously. Play the game some more before you start bashing it like "Angry Birds isn't a casual game because Farmville is casual."
I agree completely. But OP's argument falls flat to the point of invalid on one MAJOR stance. All he's doing is comparing Dark Souls, a game in which you are an underpowered speck of dirt who is striving to become average, to Ninja Gaiden, a game in which you are an elite ninja taking on an army of ninjas whom you can dispatch of quite easily. These are two completely different games that should never be compared to each other as if they should be the same game.

EDIT:
Andrew Andrew said:
Madmanonfire said:
1. Fragile human? How many grannies have you seen fast rolling without breaking a hip? And you are given invulnerability during those rolls. That is not fragile human-like but rather ninja-like so your first point is pointless.
2. It doesn't really punish you for death but rather taunts you and wastes your time. Wait what was your point?
3. I don't want spoon fed details and I don't think my post suggests such. Many other people miss very subtle, crucial details in this game so it should indicate the information isn't being conveyed in a generally compatible way.

I don't think your points were very good either, but nine hours is a sufficiently long time for a game to wow me. That is the length of the average game released today and it is very fair to judge a game after 9 hours even if that is 1/5 of the game.

Also, I don't like angry birds very much either. Not casual enough.
1. Relative to video games you play a relatively fragile human. This is in contrast to the countless games in which you are a human that can take numerous bullets, sword slashes, rockets, etc. and have it barely affect you.

2. The game doesn't taunt you with death. At least no more than Diablo II.

3. Yeah, the tutorial sucks. Tooltips are a lazy way to explain mechanics. Personally, I think everything should have been in the manual.

As for the game "wow"ing you... it's not supposed to. I thought the same thing when I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time. I was in 8th grade and I was expecting something more like Resident Evil 4. Out of disappointment, I gave up. I picked it up again four years later after understanding what the game REALLY was about and it has been among my favorite games ever since.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Launcelot111 said:

Short answer: you can further increase your weapon's attack power by leveling strength, dexterity, intelligence, and/or faith (different weapons scale differently). The hand axe is probably STR and DEX but I can't remember off the top of my head. A point in either of those stats could raise your weapon's attack rating by 2 to 5 points.

In any case, the hand axe is kind of weak. Its range is short and its base damage isn't the best. I would highly recommend a Claymore instead; you can get it from the bridge with the dragon in Undead Burg. (There are ways to lure the dragon onto the bridge and then run behind it to get the items.) In my current playthrough, my +6 Claymore had a 200+ damage rating; my +10 Claymore had like 319; a fully upgraded +15 Claymore with about 25 STR and DEX each will do something like 425 damage, PLUS you can enchant it with pine resin or magic; PLUS its damage is purely physical, meaning that against bosses it often does more damage than my 574-damage Lightning Gargoyle's Halberd +5; PLUS it has a much bigger range than your axe; PLUS it is insanely versatile, with an R2 thrust attack resembling a spear's for when you're in tight quarters. You need some Poise to use it properly though, as it is slow to swing.

Also, Divine weapons require Green Titanite to get to +5 and White Titanite after that. You hopefully have some Green Titanite if you've gone through the Depths; the slimes drop it, or at least they used to. Divine weapons are not the strongest; their big advantage is that they keep the skeletons in the Catacombs from respawning.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
Digi7 said:
Oh dear, you are a terribly rude poppit aren't you? No icecream for you.

It's an experiment in archaic design, much like the first Zelda game, where you learn the patterns of the enemies and what is effective to progress. And there is ALWAYS room to make mistakes even with perfect knowledge, and if you lose the pattern or the flow of the adversaries they will chop off a third of your healthbar in a single swing as punishment.
That's not fair; you didn't tell me ice cream was on the line.

I love 1986 Zelda. Absolutely adore it. I played it for the first time since my childhood last month and couldn't believe how well designed it was. I can't get past dungeon 6 though. The like-likes keep eating my shield and then the ghost things eat my face.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Huh. You know, I came into this thread expecting to agree, but while I agree that Dark Souls explaining barely anything was very much to the game's detriment, it does teach you how to run. I don't think it teaches you how to jump, but it also doesn't tell you that jumping is fairly worthless (it's only for crossing small gaps, not for, say...going over inch-high obstructions), so it balances out in a stupid kind of way. But yes, I do agree that the penalty of death is too high, and for pretty much that reason. Losing all your humanity and souls the second time you die doesn't make the game harder in a meaningful sense, it just makes it more frustrating and tedious.

Of course, there was nothing that drew me into the game's "atmosphere," no story, no meaningful characterization, and it somehow reversed a quarter-century of my RPG instincts by making exploration horribly annoying and unfun...particularly bad for a game that doesn't tell you where anything is and apparently expects you to visit every corner in the game a minimum of three times if you want to even think about finding everything, so I think I hate the game more than you did. I did beat it, but only out of pure passive-aggressiveness. Since Dark Souls' NG+ philosophy almost offends me, and I played the shitty PC version ("Dark Souls: Failed to Invade" edition, as youtube put it) so anything involving PvP was out of the question, I had no desire to keep playing longer.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
No, dark souls is indeed not devil may gaiden, good job noticing that.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
Lunar Templar said:

but.

Ninja Gaiden Black wasn't that hard, not gonna say I steam rolled it, but it didn't give me much trouble.

anyway, you kinda lost all kinds of credibility for your argument when you started trying to compare an ARPG to a MOBA
You must not have trekked past Normal difficulty. The modes above normal have several new enemies with completely different attack patterns making the higher difficulties an absolute joy to take on and then the missions were tremendous fun.

My dota comparison wasn't really part of the original post. I brought up dota as an example of a game with tremendous difficulty curve that required a large time commitment.

ClockWyze

Feb 5, 2013
Launcelot111 said:
On a related note, to Dark Souls vets, I'm using a +6 hand axe which feels woefully underwhelming against most enemies, although the stats for everything I own save for the massive axes seem roughly comparable. Am I right in my opinion of my weapon's crappiness, and am I missing something that would fix this?
You've been doing really well with just a handaxe. That's actually pretty impressive.
And since you have a +6 weapon, that tells me you've already scored the large ember in the Depths. So you could upgrade to +10 with large shards (slimes and leeches drop them if you need to farm more). And if you find the handaxe doesn't have enough reach for your liking, you could get the Zweihander or Winged Spear in the cemetery right next to FireLink Shrine. Those both have better reach and pack more of a wallop per hit but are heavier (especially the Zwei). And there are some "bleed" weapons that will proc bleed in Blighttown like the Iaito you could go for as well. Bleed weapons need you to strike many times in a limited time and once you do, something like the Iaito will take off about 30% of the enemies HP I think (different enemies may have more or less bleed resistance). So lots of options and getting to +10 on a weapon before Quelaag would help quite a bit.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Huh. You know, I came into this thread expecting to agree, but while I agree that Dark Souls explaining barely anything was very much to the game's detriment, it does teach you how to run. I don't think it teaches you how to jump, but it also doesn't tell you that jumping is fairly worthless (it's only for crossing small gaps, not for, say...going over inch-high obstructions), so it balances out in a stupid kind of way. But yes, I do agree that the penalty of death is too high, and for pretty much that reason. Losing all your humanity and souls the second time you die doesn't make the game harder in a meaningful sense, it just makes it more frustrating and tedious.

Of course, there was nothing that drew me into the game's "atmosphere," no story, no meaningful characterization, and it somehow reversed a quarter-century of my RPG instincts by making exploration horribly annoying and unfun...particularly bad for a game that doesn't tell you where anything is and apparently expects you to visit every corner in the game a minimum of three times if you want to even think about finding everything, so I think I hate the game more than you did. I did beat it, but only out of pure passive-aggressiveness. Since Dark Souls' NG+ philosophy almost offends me, and I played the shitty PC version ("Dark Souls: Failed to Invade" edition, as youtube put it) so anything involving PvP was out of the question, I had no desire to keep playing longer.
I'm playing the shitty PC port as well. I haven't gone back to see exactly where the run message is but it was probably in a place where my read message button wasn't working since game controller support works so well, not. I eventually found a program to auto map everything. I'm kind of with you in the reason I'm beating it. I'll beat just so that I can honestly call it a shit game. So it has until then to convince me. A good game would prove me wrong.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
NeutralDrow said:

I never understood why people complained that losing souls was too much. After a little while the amount of souls you gain by just progressing through the game are nothing and leveling up needs either boss souls or a bit of farming. Most humanity comes in the form of items that you don't lose when you die and humanity is pretty useless anyway unless you're looking for rare items or you have a special humanity weapon ( or you rely on white phantoms for everything) . I ended up with a massive hoard of humanity that i had no use for by the end. Dying doesn't really waste that much time either as most of the time you can open up a convenient shortcut and just sprint past all the enemies to the boss.

The game has a story. It's pretty minimalistic, and it's scattered around everywhere, but i like it. It has a sort of mystery to it that if you can piece it together becomes very atmospheric. The characters are similar too. A lot of the NPCs you meet have short story arcs. Some are really short, some are decently long and can span a level, and some span the whole game. I like a lot of the characters. They don't say as much as other games, but they do pack a large amount of personality into their words.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Andrew Andrew said:
Lunar Templar said:

but.

You must not have trekked past Normal difficulty. The modes above normal have several new enemies with completely different attack patterns making the higher difficulties an absolute joy to take on and then the missions were tremendous fun.

My dota comparison wasn't really part of the original post. I brought up dota as an example of a game with tremendous difficulty curve that required a large time commitment.
Admittedly, I did not. Mostly because all that was worth is 'bragging rights' and I couldn't give less of a fuck about 'gaining bragging rights', I pursue unlocks for the most part.

Devil May Cry 3 (original), on the other hand, THAT was a game I went after on most the higher difficulty's, Actually, I pretty much always go after DMCs higher difficulty's.

Ether way, bring a MOBA or even a Spectacle Fighter like Ninja Gaiden into it smacks of missing the point of the game.

Andrew Andrew

Dec 17, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
Admittedly, I did not. Mostly because all that was worth is 'bragging rights' and I couldn't give less of a fuck about 'gaining bragging rights', I pursue unlocks for the most part.

Ether way, bring a MOBA or even a Spectacle Fighter like Ninja Gaiden into it smacks of missing the point of the game.
Very hard and master ninja were most definitely about bragging rights and I never beat those modes, but hard was well crafted and it puts a new spin on the game without the normal bullshit difficulty tampering methods like just increasing damage. Enemies became better at countering some of your powerful moves and often performed more coordinated attacks. They revamped several enemy classes to make them more capable and interesting eg the galas became the ogre, black ninjas became bast fiends.

I've never heard the term spectacle fighter but I don't think that applies to ninja gaiden. According to urban dictionary that term (coined by yahtzee) refers to a game that focuses on the visual aspects of game play. That is most certainly not ninja gaiden as ngb focuses on extensive combat knowledge and reaction in a way similar to Dark souls.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Andrew Andrew said:
I'm playing the shitty PC port as well. I haven't gone back to see exactly where the run message is but it was probably in a place where my read message button wasn't working since game controller support works so well, not. I eventually found a program to auto map everything. I'm kind of with you in the reason I'm beating it. I'll beat just so that I can honestly call it a shit game. So it has until then to convince me. A good game would prove me wrong.
The worst part, I can't quite call it shit. I did have fun with some of the combat, I loved the weapon variety, the upgrade variety was okay (though most of it is useless unless you're planning for a specific purpose) and while it was the only game location that struck me, Ash Lake was really quite pretty. I just wish they were in a better game, possibly one without a Vancian magic system.

Oh, you're using the DSfix patch, right? Please say yes. Anyway, I didn't know this while I was playing, but apparently it lets you keep saved game backups. I don't know how, or how convenient it might be, but it might be something to look into.

Burst6 said:
NeutralDrow said:

I never understood why people complained that losing souls was too much. After a little while the amount of souls you gain by just progressing through the game are nothing and leveling up needs either boss souls or a bit of farming. Most humanity comes in the form of items that you don't lose when you die and humanity is pretty useless anyway unless you're looking for rare items or you have a special humanity weapon ( or you rely on white phantoms for everything) . I ended up with a massive hoard of humanity that i had no use for by the end. Dying doesn't really waste that much time either as most of the time you can open up a convenient shortcut and just sprint past all the enemies to the boss.
That's the problem. "A bit of farming" becomes absolutely horrendous when you have to do it all over again because you slipped and forgot just how fast that demon could attack you, or mistimed a parry, or went too far afield before heading back to the bonfire, or didn't use a homeward bone the instant you beat a boss, subsequently fell off a very poorly-drawn cliff, lost 80000 souls and five humanity in an instant, and through further mischance died again on the way to reclaiming them. Souls are important, and it's hardly a "little" while before they stop being so; leveling is one thing, but repairs, item shopping, and the all-important equipment upgrades also require increasing amounts. And the worst part is that there's no goddamn reason for it, unless there's a hardware limitation. Why do the souls disappear after the second death? The only way that makes sense is a hardware limitation or to discourage people from grinding, the latter of which can hardly be the case in a game that is basically grinding and rote memorization in purest form.

Humanity is also hardly useless if you want to kindle new bonfires, have any kind of decent item discovery rate, advance in a number of covenants, or do absolutely anything online or summoning-related...in other words, literally pretty much everything involving the covenants. Since humanity is rarely gained spontaneously, NPCs are a limited resource, and only a couple of enemies in the game drop humanity, and because death is omnipresent, humanity items don't last long.

And the only truly convenient shortcuts require either the Master Key (the tower to Darkroot Basin, the door to the valley below Firelink) or the Lordvessel, with maybe a passing mention to the moss lady's sewer for the thirty times one has to fight the Capra demon. Otherwise, there's still a slog to get anywhere, and even enemies that can be sprinted past can kill you easily if you misstep.

The game has a story. It's pretty minimalistic, and it's scattered around everywhere, but i like it. It has a sort of mystery to it that if you can piece it together becomes very atmospheric. The characters are similar too. A lot of the NPCs you meet have short story arcs. Some are really short, some are decently long and can span a level, and some span the whole game. I like a lot of the characters. They don't say as much as other games, but they do pack a large amount of personality into their words.
That's the problem, it's minimalist to the point where you don't even matter. There's certainly lore aplenty, but none of it has any connection to you ('cept maybe the DLC, I suppose, but the game didn't say how to do that, so I missed it). The bosses you fight have identities and histories, except in the context of the game, when they're just obstacles. The areas have mysteries and stories, except in the context of your actions, when they're just there to hide stuff you might want and give you a chance to go from one place to another. The MC has no personality of their own, and is hinted in the beginning to just be J. Random Schmuck who's more talented than the scores of Chosen Undead who've already failed and by coincidence happens to be the only undead in the world who's genuinely immortal. I always have to contrast Dark Souls to Soulbringer, a game that used a similar approach but gave the MC a speaking role and made most of the discoverable world-building lore explain how things got the way they are, how they relate to what you're doing, and hint at things to come, rather than the DS method of explaining why things are the way they are ten hours after it could possibly matter, if it ever did. I could see random factoids like Ceaseless Discharge being the son of the witch of Izalith, that not all pyromancy comes from the Great Swamp, or literally anything about the Painted World being great to include in a tabletop RPG, but not in a limited video game where you play a blank slate.

The only NPCs I noticed who had story arcs were Solaire, who was eminently ignorable after he gives you the white soapstone, and Siegmyer, who was the only exception to my bitching and I actually liked, possibly because I could interact with him more than once (okay, Solaire was actually twice).

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Launcelot111 said:
I just started playing it last week, and it's a pretty good time. I like the whole free roaming exploring deal, even though the difficulty curve is all over the map. I stomped the Gaping Dragon only to get stomped by Quelaaq, and then after some exploring, I got stomped by the Stray Demon before finally getting to stomp the Moonlight Butterfly.
I don't think its so much the games difficulty curve being all over the map, its more that maybe you are just better at playing against the attack style of the Gaping Dragon than Quelaag, or maybe your build is just more suited to fighting Gaping Dragon. Personally I find the Gaping Dragon to be the more difficult boss. Also it seems to me that you fought the Moonlight Butterfly a little too late into the game and the Stray Demon a little too early in the game, MB is intended to be fought quite early and SD is intended to be fought later on.

OP: Given that you are only up to the Darkroot Garden bonfire and that you claim the Drake Sword to be overpowered, I think its pretty safe to say that you haven't played enough Dark Souls to make a fair judgement on it. Also you can't reasonably compare Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden, they are too different and set out to achieve different things.

Andrew Andrew said:
Erttheking: I don't mean to pick on you but your avatar is Dark Souls.
How is that relevant? Are you implying that they are biased because they love the game? Maybe so but that is completely irrelevant as they make a well reasoned and logical argument, I'm afraid I can't say the same of you.
Andrew Andrew said:
Ninja Gaiden Black is better. Fuck off.