"Oh, okay...wait, WHAT!?" moments in gaming

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
The ending of Killzone 3.

"Okay. Oh. Wait. Wait, what? What the... oh, credits, too? This is how you end it? THIS?! WHAT THE FU-?! Onyx. ONYX! I've been robbed, Onyx. Your game has robbed me. "

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
Ehh, not amazing or scary, but it honestly made me pause the game and think about what had just happened.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I was walking alongside Machiavelli, holding the button down to keep myself incognito, when I accidentally brushed a woman who would not get out of the way-- stupid me, forgot that if you brush past someone while incognito, you rob them --and Ezio's arm shot out and hit her right in the fun zone. The gained-money sound hadn't happened, so she must not have had any Florins. Continued walking, listening to Machia--

.... wait, what?

I stared at the screen for a few seconds, paused the game, and asked myself what the fuck had just happened between bursts of horrified laughter. My sister asked what was wrong when she entered the room, and what else could I say?

"I... think Ezio just punched that lady in the crotch."

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Mass Effect 2. Not something that is said but what happens in the beginning. You know....

I was like ok Shepperd will make it into the pod then BAM freeze dried re-entry time. I litterly thought, "Ok, they just killed the F*****g main charicter, what the F**k can go wrong now? Wonder who I will be playing as? LOL WUT? Bringing him back to life? NO F*****G WAY!" Tru story bra.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
HassEsser said:
"Oh, your Pokemon has Pokerus" and I'm like "uhhuh. . . wait wtf?!?" *insert double-take number three*

Anyway, I've learned what it is since, and I am VERY glad I got it, but it seriously rocked my world the first time I encountered it.
Yeah, I got it first time when playing Gold, and was kinda worried and confused. And back then I couldn't just go to the Internet to see what it is...

Incidentally, I seem to be a pokerus-magnet, having found it without trading three times. But never once a shiny pokemon I could catch (apart from the red Gyarados in Gold, obviously).

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Bulletstorm - Running through a river of radioactive waste and the phrase 'radiation poisoning' never once enters any character's mind.
Despite all the mutated monsters you fight throughout the game.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Greyah said:
DA:O, mage origin story. The moment that blood mage chap escapes after breaking his ph... er... vial of blood thingy.

That actually makes sense. He COULD escape with his phalactery (vial of blood thingy) but because of it, they'd be able to find him. So despite him being ABLE to escape without destroying it, they'd just find him again. Hence the need to destroy it.

Tynermeister

Feb 10, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
bleachigo10 said:
As for me it was at the end of InFamous where
Kessler is revealed to be Cole from an alternate future
Best. Plot-Twist. EVER.
oh me too! i actually finished the fight and said ti the guy beside me
"hah. i bet its like a Time machine type thing where its actually you from the future."

and then it was.

"you're sh#tting me, right?"

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Alone in the dark remake right at the end. After some really awesome parts and annoying parts with the roots I got to the final bit where you have to make the decision. Yeah, the ending made me go 'wait what?' I thought there would be more...

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
The Madman said:
Planescape: Torment was just a giant string of mindf--ck throughout. Spoilers ahead, so be warned. Although let's be honest here, if you haven't played the game by now you probably never will, so whatever you might as well keep reading.
Anyway, yeah. Finding out about your previous incarnations is absolutely mind bending. Especially the one fairly recent 'you' that created an elaborate series of traps to try and lure you, aka himself, into it and then kill you, aka himself, in a grandiose attempt at multi-generational suicide. Not to mention the whole thing with the army of shadows being sent out to kill you, not in an attempt to actually 'kill kill' you, but actually in an attempt to keep the main character from ever progressing to the point where he's capable of questioning and struggling against his own unnatural nature. And that's not even the kicker, the kicker is that those shadows are being sent by the main characters own 'mortality' which after having been taken from the protagonist who knows how long ago eventually became its own independent being, struggling itself to stay alive by keeping it's originator; the player, immortal.

So your mortality is trying to kill the player in order to keep the player immortal so the mortality can remain immortal...

*Ka-bloom*

That's the sound of my head exploding. And I haven't even gotten into Ravel, the Blood Wars, Trias the Betrayer, the nature of those shadows, the Nameless Ones various exploits during his various 'lives', or the games ending among other things.
Nope. Not true. I just want to find it on disc. But that's ok, I'm in the minority.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
For me it was when I was playing Minecraft, and suddenly for no reason I suffocated to death. When I went back to collect my things, I noticed it was all underneath the leaves of a tree. I ran round for a couple of seconds before I realised the damn thing had grown on top of me.

Kjakings

Nov 18, 2009
Shepard saying 'Harbinger and the OTHER Reapers' I'd been watching glowy-eyed collector on the control panel all game and it hadn't twigged that Harbinger was a Reaper until Shepard mentioned it. I thought he was just the top Collector, which begs the question how the hell did Shepard know if I didn't figure it out?

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
everytime i flooded my damned fortress in DF or underestimated the danger of magma... My reaction is mostly like this (after putting hours of work into it)

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Ever try for the "If They Came To Hear Me Beg" achievement on Halo: Reach? What about Rocket Launcher Baseball or Rocket Sniping? Halo has a WTF factor that can never be topped.

CheesyGrin1992

Mar 14, 2011
Kjakings said:
Shepard saying 'Harbinger and the OTHER Reapers' I'd been watching glowy-eyed collector on the control panel all game and it hadn't twigged that Harbinger was a Reaper until Shepard mentioned it. I thought he was just the top Collector, which begs the question how the hell did Shepard know if I didn't figure it out?
Yeah, same here really. Harbinger never seemed impressive enough to be a Reaper. He's not quite on the same scale as Sovereign or of the monstrosity at the end of the game, not in size or power. He seems quite pitiful in comparison really.

OT, hearing "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" for the first time was one of those moments. I was like, "huh, okay then" when I heard it, then when I saw a glowing Collector approaching, I hit the "wait, WHAT" phase of things. Then he just became annoying as he ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL of every damn Collector on the battlefield one by one.

EDIT: After looking at the Mass Effect Wiki page for Harbinger, he seems to be a Reaper (like Sovereign), possessing the Collector leader, possessing individual Collectors. This is an "Oh, okay... wait, WHAT!?" in itself.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I was playing Sly 2 a few years back, and there was this cutscene with Inspector fox and Sly, something romantic. I never noticed it before, but I just thought, "wow, everyone in this game is a furry".

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Anah said:
Everything that was said here. Dragon Age 2 provided tonnes of these moments. I was repeatedly shocked at many turns.
However, (just as bad spoilers, if you haven't finished DA2, don't read...)

Anders and I had developed from casual boy toy booty calls up to a god damn intimate relationship and he could have blown up kirkwall and I wouldn't have cared. Not that I got too invested in the game or anything. But yeah, I had no reservations against what he did.

Furthermore, the death of Hawke's mother... This was my reaction:
Wait a minute, white flowers? Isn't that... Oh shit... Where is she... Blood stains? More blood stains? Even more? Lowtown Docks now? Hey, that's the building I killed those guys in three years ago... Holy crap there's a dead woman... It's not her... Hey look, a necromancer. And there's my mother. Guess I'll kill him and OH SWEET JESUS NO HOW WHAT?