Ohgren Available In Dragon Age: Awakening

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I believe Word of God on the official forums said that Oghren came back precisely for the reasons listed in the article: very few people got to know him as well as he deserved. Personally, I loved the guy. If you get his approval up high enough, he says some very touching things to you. And unlike many other characters, there's more left to explore there. Many of the other NPCs in Origins have a resolution to their tale. Bringing them back would seem like forcing it. But with Oghren, there's more room for growth. So I'm all for it. Awakenings looks to be darker than Origins, so maybe his with will help lighten the mood.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Ghonzor said:
Dammit, not even Shale?
Maybe you'll see Shale again as a dwarf, remember how she looking for a way to turn back? I mean Ohgren is playable but perhaps they'll give the other characters a reappearance at least much like the Mass Effect.

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
Way to dash all my hopes of having Sten and my warden living out their days in a Jeeves and Wooster-esque sitcom existence back in the Seheron, Bioware.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
Ill miss Leiliana... she made me happy.

As a side note, Zevran ended up turning on me later on in the story. Is this a random type thing or was it because I never really used him and built his approval up? Just curious.
If you build Zevrans approval, and it doesn't need to be very high, then he won't turn on you.
He will choose to stay and fight by your side.
If you are romancing him, this will be a big changing point in that plot line.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Archemetis said:
AboveUp said:
Archemetis said:
Oh No, give Ohgren some credit Sten is FAR worse than anything in that game...

Although saying that as soon as I got Ohgren I never once used him...
Sten wasn't so bad after he opens up to you. Plus his sword searching quest wasn't too bad.
Ah now see, I found him so mind-numbingly boring that whilst attempting to get him to open up I just told him to take a hike and never come back...
I believe that's a pretty common issue. It seems everyone who hates Sten dumped him early on and never got him to open up, while many of those who used him for a longer time think he's pretty cool.

ubiquityxx

Jul 11, 2006
To see Oghren back is awesome. Once I could get him from Orzimmar he never left my party. Shale for tank and Sten and Oghren for DPS. I was a mage dps/healer combo. A powerful party.

Alistar was a pussy. I benched his ass the entire game and then sent him off in exile at the end.

Just so you know - Oghren loved the outside ... once you got him out there. I thought he had personality and wit. Definitely a power player in the game IMHO.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I played this game to about the point where I got to Shale back in December (day after Christmas).

Then until this news article I LITERALLY forgot the game existed.

It is in the top drive of my computer and I totally forgot about the game.

I don't know what that says about the game, but damn says something about me.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
but but but... shale! ok tbh i realy wanted morrigan to come back, i used the dwarf for my first run through but that was it.

Captain Ninja

May 9, 2009
Da_Schwartz said:
How about you bring them all back and bump the party size one or two slots. If the choices you made in origins reflect new gameplay then it would be a real dumbass move to not include Morrigan. The most unresolved character story ending of them all...
they will almost definitely use Morrigan for DA:2

OT: the dwarfs not that bad, i remember when i lol'ed so hard when he proclaimed to Wayne "i;d give you a roll"

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Hubilub said:
I found him pretty useless. Alistair made a better tank.

And drunken dwarfs aren't as funny if you have them with you all the time.
Amen.

OT: Though to his credit, Oghren WAS a good beserker.

Then again, i wasn't paying attention that one time i used him.

Da_Schwartz said:
How about you bring them all back and bump the party size one or two slots. If the choices you made in origins reflect new gameplay then it would be a real dumbass move to not include Morrigan. The most unresolved character story ending of them all...
YES MORRIGAN. BRING BACK MORRIGAN. I WANT TO SEE MY CHILD! My supposedly all powerful 'old god' reincarnation.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
I guess it's because among the various characters he's the only one who doesn't have a possible ending that doesn't make him stay around... In Ferelden, I mean.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Apparently I'm in a minority here, but I love Oghren and used him all the time with a couple of my characters. Did nobody take him with them to speak to the Guardian of the Urn of Sacred Ashes? He makes more sense after you hear him there, and I definitely went "aww" during the end fight when all the characters are lining up to say their goodbyes and Oghren talks about honor and how you helped him. But he only gives that line if you build up a friendship with him, and if nobody bothered then I can see why they wouldn't care. I personally am glad to see him back, though I'm looking forward to the cameos from all the characters. I liked all the party members in DA:O, so an appearance from anyone will be a pleasant surprise.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Ohgren...
OHGREN?

Are you shitting me up the ass? He was my least favorite character by far. I had some laughs at him in camp falling over drunk, but I never used him. He was probably the most under-developed character in the game story/background wise and just isn't interesting at all. He lost his wife, then just stumbled around the same dwarf city drunk for years. There are no stories there at all.

Lelienna has interesting stories of her bard days. Zevran has some amusing tales of how lucky he is at assassinating people. Morrigan and Allistair are key plot characters. Sten was interesting as a character whom seems completely foreign to you, Wynne offered a kind heart and compassion no others did, and shale was far better developed and much more amusing than Ohgren was. Not to mention shale has unique skills and is one HELL of a tank.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
They're bringing back Oghren precisely because nobody used him in the first game. I belive I read this in a post by Bioware recently - Most players did Orzamar/Deep Roads last and as a result barely got to use Oghren. Bioware saw that as missed potential and wanted to give him another chance.

Truth be told, Oghren was un underexplored character. A veteran warrior cast aside by the society he fought to protect and reduced to a drunk. However, he had minimal dialogue and you weren't really given a chance to get to know him. He could be a very interesting companion in Awakening if Bioware focuses on him more.

That being said, Oghren is coming back since he's one of the two companions you CAN'T avoid.Sten and Leliana can be skipped. Zevran can be killed off or he might betray you. Shale is optional. Wynne can be killed when you first meet her, or she might turn on you during the Urn quest. Alistair may or may not get replaced by Loghain.

The only other "guaranteed" character is Morrigan, and I don't support bringing her back since it wouldn't make much sense. That leaves us with Oghren.

On a mildly related note, one of my friends is a short, slightly overweight red-bearded fellow who is currently dating a girl named Branka. As you can imagine, me and my mates were laughing quite hard all the way through the Deep Roads... ;)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Alistair bitched out on me and ran away when I spared Loghain's life. Fucker took my Superior Dragonscale Armor with him. And Loghain comes into the game way too late to build him up well.
As far as the latecomer goes, if you're playing the PC version I'd suggest looking up the Respec mod that lets you reset the stats, skills and talents on any character. Really helps with some of the poorly built characters. Zevran's total lack of lockpicking skills is also a problem that I usually fix with that mod.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Depending on the ending you got most of the characters wouldn't make sense if they came back or appeared elsewhere on adventure.
Sten had to go back to his homeland
morrigan was TRYING to disappear
alistair might have a nation to rule.
Wynne is probably dead by now

The Dog, Zevran and Oghren are the only ones who pretty much stuck with 'the warden' or said "i'm going to wander"