Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Graphics don't matter in an MMO, in fact a cleverer use of graphics can increase an MMOs userbase by lowering the system requirements allowing more people to run the game. Here's an idea why not wait and see how it plays before you judge a game? An MMO with a good story sounds like a great idea to me, it will be great if it makes you character feel important in that world instead of a clone of the next player doing the same meaningless fetch quest as the player next to you.

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
I think the graphics look pretty good tbh.

Not incredible, but pretty nice for MMO standards. Imagine running through a WoW sized world with Crysis graphics.

Chug chug chug

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
tunderball said:
Graphics don't matter in an MMO, in fact a cleverer use of graphics can increase an MMOs userbase by lowering the system requirements allowing more people to run the game. Here's an idea why not wait and see how it plays before you judge a game? An MMO with a good story sounds like a great idea to me, it will be great if it makes you character feel important in that world instead of a clone of the next player doing the same meaningless fetch quest as the player next to you.
I would appreciate killing 50 boars so much more if I could see each nose hair in their snout that wasn't dropping.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Like the others say really graphics..

Good Graphics are nice to have but many times the best of games are not those with the best of graphics. It is about Story, Gameplay, Humor, Interesting Characters, Or simply offering allot of fun.

I don't know if this game will succeed but I think that it has a chance. If it is fun and easy enough to play. I am in!

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I am so tired of the WoW universe that any half decent game in a more interesting setting will be more than enough to pull me away from WoW. The Star Wars universe definitely fits into that category for me, and since I started playing Bioware game with KoTOR, they haven't put out a bad game.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I think Bioware is counting on you wanting to see how they've changed up NPC interactions and questing.

They aren't trying to push the limits of what can be done visually.

I don't find the graphics that bad. I've never been WoW'd by an MMO's graphics.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
Yoda: "Awesome graphics do not an awesome game make."

Living proof: Minecraft, WoW, Limbo, Meat Boy, Peggle, Torchlight, flash games...etc.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i really don't give at shit
and mmos are long term games, if you sell those on graphics the paint starts to peel off rather quickly. But i agree, the bounty hunter trailer looks just bland somehow but that might be my annoyance at the fact that they faced the class of mandalorian bounty hunters(they probably are the most numerous but still)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The less power a game requires, the more people that can play it, the more people you have to play with. Not that I'm an mmo player but as I gathered that MMO with angels didn't do as well as it could have because of it's higher requirements.

Besides the game looked fine from the trailer.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Rayne870 said:
tunderball said:
I would appreciate killing 50 boars so much more if I could see each nose hair in their snout that wasn't dropping.
As would I but that is not the world we live in....not yet anyway. YOUR computer might be able to run such a game but I doubt every other member of the games target audience's could. And an MMO without players isn't really an MMO.
I would prefer a good story and clever game design over beautiful looking repetitiveness any day.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, it looks like an MMO that tries to be a little of everything to everyone. I'll get it just because it's a BioWare Star Wars story (eight of 'em, actually). Not certain I'll stick with it, as I generally loathe MMO players... but who knows? Maybe I'll find a group of people who can roleplay in the Star Wars universe (I used to GM star wars D20 on occasion).

...and I could never appreciate killing 50 boars for an NPC in any game... 10 giant insectoid alien monsters, on the other hand...

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009

The relevancy is just staggering for me. Never had that happen with any pic I've posted.

Just wanted to add another point to supporters of substance over graphics in this thread. This is troll-bait, people. Clear and simple. He has no true backing or credibility to his argument, yet continues to aggressively argue none-the-less. Just move on, and he'll eventually tire himself out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
That. Was. AWESOME!

I'm a bit curious as to why the armours are custom fit to ridiculously big bewbs, but otherwise...Do want.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

And its not even been released yet!
That gives them more time to work on it right?

You're right, they don't look impressive, but using smaller character models may allow them to have a huge range of characters and environments. It may also allow them to have thousands of characters on screen at once. I'd wait until it's released before you criticize it. I played the demo of Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox many years ago and thought it looked terrible. One month later the game came out and it was amazing.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Odgical said:
... You buy games for the graphics? Is that the only problem you can see with it?

And no, the cinematic trailers are supposed to sell you the game.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer
I'm not bothered by the lack of graphics, in fact I prefer it that way. What bothers me is the monthly subscriptions and the lack of being able to own my character.