Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
Are you trolling? If you even bothered to pay attention to the environments featured in the video, you'd see there's real-time lighting, and a lot of detail added into the surroundings...

The visuals are on par, if not better than WoW Cataclysm.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Dejawesp said:

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. I mean the graphics are so indistinguishable, I actually thought that Zabrak there was holding a plazma gun and was one of them eye walking things. And I totally agree with your "And it's not even been released yet!"! I mean, ever since this game's development started the graphics have only gone downhill.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
A Mad Monk 2 said:
Griffstar said:
I'm still buying it. Yeah know why? Because I don't care if the graphics look like a dumb downed version of Oblivion, It looks like a badass game and I've been waiting a freaking long time for this.
two worlds looked like a dumb down version of oblivion too...
Two Worlds looked like a watered down piece of trash that barely made it out of beta. There were so many more problems than just the graphics.

OT: I honestly don't get all the hate. It looks like a pretty good game. I adored both KotORs and used to play them daily but the majority of the hate I see is pointless and poorly reasoned.

Y'know, trolls.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Vrach said:
Dejawesp said:

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. I mean the graphics are so indistinguishable, I actually thought that Zabrak there was holding a plazma gun and was one of them eye walking things. And I totally agree with your "And it's not even been released yet!"! I mean, ever since this game's development started the graphics have only gone downhill.
Uuuugh! What uglyness are you showing us in that 2nd pic?! Damn! My eyes!

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Nova Helix said:
When I saw the first cinematic trailer I was ready to preorder, then they released game play and it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

It drives me crazy when videos look amazing but the gameplay looks like shit. Either your person will never be in a cinematic or they will be but will look nothing like they do when you play them. I am sad I will never see a true KOTOR 3 :(
Yeah, this is definitely one of those games that had me hooked from the start, but the more information they release the less excited I get. I'm currently at the point where I'd give it a shot but I wouldn't pay money for it (unless the trial proved me otherwise).

Though yeah, if graphics mattered in an MMORPG then Final Fantasy XIV wouldn't have stumbled out of the gate and broke its neck at release. And part of the reason World of Warcrap is so popular is because you don't need a $3000 computer to run it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
Stammer said:
Yeah, this is definitely one of those games that had me hooked from the start, but the more information they release the less excited I get. I'm currently at the point where I'd give it a shot but I wouldn't pay money for it (unless the trial proved me otherwise).
Really?

The more I hear, the more I like.

Like how the game is being designed with no auto attack in mind, crew skills, how companions can make up for no healer in lesser dungeons, etc.

What's turning you away?
Yeah, do tell. What is turning you away. I mean for me, bad animations are what get me the most. At first I thought the animations in TOR were pretty lame. As more trailers came out, I came to see they're actually quite good, and rather dynamic too.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I can't really pinpoint specific things, but it's just a few issues I have in terms of roleplaying. A lot of what I don't like about games like WoW I see present in this game.

For example: I heard that in the game your class is based on which of the two factions you want to be a part of. While it makes sense from a PvP standpoint, I don't like the idea that if I wanted to play, say, a Bounty Hunter, I can't play with (or even communicate with) my friends if they're playing for the Good Guys.

And why is my Smuggler forced to work for the Good Guys? Who says I can't just go for the highest bidder, even back-stab people to get what I want? Just because Han Solo just so happened to help Luke doesn't mean that all Smugglers are Good Guys.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Dejawesp said:

Wait it's bad because it has bad graphics? What's wrong with you? WoW has bad graphics, and that's part of the reason it's so successful, you can't just decide that because it doesnt have amazing graphics the gameplay is shit. Remember that? Gameplay. Because it is a GAME. Where the gameplay is the important part.

proghead said:
Ghostkai said:
and why the frick does a MMO have to look like Crysis?!
Why shouldn't it? Why should I cut MMOs some slack? If I got the hardware, I'd like to see it being used. So if my box doesn't break a sweat on highest details, I'm disappointed.
Right. All that information has to be loaded to the server as well, from every single person that's around. In a world that is persistent and doesn't stop being there, it has to contain all of it at once, not just a set level. MMOs don't have bad graphics because the devs are lazy, they're like that because we don't have magic internet that can handle everything you throw at it. Also, not everyone has a high spec PC, which means if you make it high requirements, you instantly cut of a massive part of the player base, which in case you didn't realise, is not what you want to be doing when you make an mmo.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Yup, the graphics are already horribly dated and the gameplay looks generic as hell for an mmo. Unless this game does something amazing which I can not see, it will flop after a few months.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
Really, all the faction classes parallel what the other faction has. And they function the same.

Powertech = Vanguard
Mercenary = Commando
Operative = Scoundrel
Sniper = Gunslinger
Sith Juggernaut = Jedi Guardian
Sith Marauder = Jedi Sentinel
Sith Sorcerer = Jedi Sage
Sith Assassin = Jedi Shadow

That should help a little.
That's a very good point. But like I said, it's hard for me to kind of pinpoint the specifics. I just don't like how the game's biggest seller is its player-oriented story, and yet I'm going to feel completely restricted in my choices.

And I'll have to get a feel for the gameplay with my own hands, but part of the thing that draws me towards MMORPG's is auto-attack. So unless this is a really well put-together game, I'm just going to miss it. I remember having people argue with me that auto-attack makes games boring when I argued about it in Final Fantasy XIV-- and all it did for them in that game was convert what would have been auto-attack into having to mash the attack button themselves repeatedly.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Dejawesp said:
Rift!? Rift makes the same mistake as everquest 2 did and make everything look like its straight out of poser 4. Every little object looks like it was designed by a separate department and then all glued together.
Did you even watch the video? It compares the graphics to multiple popular and upcoming games.

Stop trolling, the graphics in SWTOR aren't nothing to fawn over but they definitely aren't "sh*t".

And this is coming from someone who seriously dislikes SWTOR.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
elvor0 said:
Wait it's bad because it has bad graphics? What's wrong with you? WoW has bad graphics, and that's part of the reason it's so successful.
WoW's graphics are colorful and have charm. I actually prefer its graphics over...say..RIFT.
Indeed, WoW has its style and I think its unfair to suddenly decide that due to SW having bad graphics, that means it's all shit and should be ignored.