Okay "Star Wars: The Old Republic" looks like shit. Now what?

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
I humbly think OP should be put on probation for being obtuse enough to put so much stock in visuals alone, in this day and age. That sort of opinion does so much to hold back the medium...

icame

Aug 4, 2010
In terms of graphics an MMO aims to look decent (Generally by utilizing a certain art style) while still being able to run on low end machines. This game will probably accomplish that, making it a success in terms of graphics.

On a side note: Why the hell do you care about graphics?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
obvious troll is obvious

few things get fanboys riled up like star wars. they said from the start that the graphics would be a hybrid of cartoon and realism because they wanted a style that looked different from other games. also, stating that i game would look bad because early footage doesnt look good, makes no sense at all. please do not feed the troll

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
elvor0 said:
SomethingAmazing said:
elvor0 said:
Wait it's bad because it has bad graphics? What's wrong with you? WoW has bad graphics, and that's part of the reason it's so successful.
WoW's graphics are colorful and have charm. I actually prefer its graphics over...say..RIFT.
Indeed, WoW has its style and I think its unfair to suddenly decide that due to SW having bad graphics, that means it's all shit and should be ignored.
I think the term you are looking for is "Low tech" graphics. Which describes this perfectly.

And like WoW, I find the graphics in SW:TOR to be really charming.
Yeah that's a better term, bad would imply well...bad. This is done for a specific reason.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Still waiting on FireFall. That game looks amazing and is still an MMO.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009

OMG LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!!!!!!
srsly graphics dont make a game.minecraft is living proof of that. ive never been sold on a game because of the graphics, never will

Nosense

May 24, 2010
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
If I understand your position correctly graphics=gameplay????? And a second point, if you think that the graphics were the only thing they had to sell the game (never mind the KOTOR ascepts,storyline,gameplay, and the Star-Wars franchise) you're sadly mistaken.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
So... you think the game has bad graphics and so it will suck? Cool story bro.

*Goes back to playing X-COM

dowdpride

Jul 30, 2010
Axolotl said:
Okay the trailers in the OP weren't particularly ugly for an MMO. The writing however, Jesus even for Bioware that's bad, combined with the artstyle made them look more like a parody trailer than anything else.

However the space combat looks, good, if it's integrated well then it will actually give this game an edge over WoW. My opinon of SW:TOR has significantly increased. Perhaps EA might delay Bioware's inevitable death little longer.

wait wait wait... did you really just say that? have you ever even heard of a few little games, namely dragon age origins and mass effect?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
You say that Diablo 2 is "visually engaging" while saying that SW:TOR looks like shit...

You know what?, I don't give a damn about graphics, heck, I don't know why I'm even writing here. In my opinion, SW:TOR looks very similar to Mass Effect 2, with isn't a bad thing, at all. I mean, I don't even give a crap about SW:TOR, but I do when someone, at this day and age, suddendly comes up and say that graphics looks like shit. WoW looks like shit and that hasn't stopped it to sell like hot cakes.

Also, an MMO is supposed to run with crappy computers in mind, with high ends computers as a second thought.

If you really, really, REALLY care about graphics (that's just sad), then you can ramp up all of the fancy filters and antialiases your amazing computer is capable of.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Dejawesp said:
Have you seen these trailers? It looks like bloody quake 2.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/bounty-hunter

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/space-combat (even lags a bit)

And its not even been released yet!

These are the best looking things they could come up with. This is what's supposed to sell us on this game

Oh well Maybe dark millennium or Titan will be any good. Seems the people looking for a sci-fi mmo will just have to hold our another half decade.
So the game's going to suck because you don't like the visuals? I pity you if good graphics are your only reason for picking up a game.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play my favorite Star Wars game of all time, Tie Fighter.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
If they had Crysis graphics for MMO's no-one would be able to play the fucking things. Think about it mate.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
ethaninja said:
If they had Crysis graphics for MMO's no-one would be able to play the fucking things. Think about it mate.
To be fair, Crysis does scale down a lot.
True, although I didn't literally mean Crysis :p Just exaggerating

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I'm sensing trolling.
But the graphics look pretty damn good to me. Space combat looks terrible though, it's like a rail shooter which I find pretty sad for a franchise that's all about space and epicness.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
See, for me, its never been just about the looks. As long as they dont inhibit gameplay, i can consider things passable. For me, general game criteria is: Storyline, Gameplay, Immersion, and then Graphics.

In fact, some of the overly "gritty" graphics, that are supposed to be more realistic, can be detrimental to the immersion of the game. For graphics, I tend to look for several things. If there is a connected artstyle within the game, if the graphics make it difficult for the game to be used, or if the graphics are good for immersion.

For MMO's, Graphics, as it has been said before, are not -quite- as important as the gameplay. Gameplay in MMO's are the real draw, as well as the social experiences within it.

TLDR: Graphics aren't the biggest part of games, its the GAMEPLAY that should be important. If you want something enormously realistic to look at, watch a video. Gameplay is what gamers go to games for....or they should be anyways.

andrew2696

Nov 19, 2009
The thing about MMOs is that people care more about art direction than pure graphics power. MMOs always get graphically outdated very quickly. However with a good art direction like World of Warcraft people can stay playing for a longer time until the graphics look really bad.