OKCupid Asks Firefox Users To Support LGBT Rights, Switch Browsers

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Well, considering that Firefox is a free browser, what effect will switching actually have? Are they somehow getting money based on how many people are using their browser how much? IS there, like, some sorta thing to the program that logs how much you use it and sends it somewhere where someone can compensate mozilla for how much you've used the program?

I've been using firefox for years. Before that, I was using the AOL browser, I started to see how much better a browser Firefox was, with regard to how it loaded animated GIFs, but what got me to really switch was an alleged aecurity problem with Internet Explorer, which I believed my AOL browser sorta piggybacked on (because it was tied to Windows' Control panel internet options thing). I've grown to trust Firefox as a browser, and I'm not exactly keen on switching over to Chrome.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I didn't do shit when Orson Scott Card was against gay people, you think I'm going to be against a browser because the CEO (read: The person not involved in the slightest with the actual development and implementation of the browser) is a bigot? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The lesson from this thread is that if you have even a chance of becoming a CEO don't do anything political, don't support anything, don't be against anything, just be neutral if you wish to avoid things like this.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
*Sigh*

As much as I support LGBT rights and same sex marriage, these mob tactics bug the shit out of me. "Of course you have the right to vote how you will, but I'd hate to see your income steam meet a little... accident...if you get my drift." Memo to the LGBT community: this will not do anything to improve your standing with the Mozila CEO. He may even be further soured and before he just disapproved to your actions, but now has every reason to see you as the thought police using any power to keep him from having and his own opinion, and supporting his own values.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, you know, except make such statements and actions socially unacceptable, which would make it harder for someone to openly oppose gay rights in the public market.
How would you feel if you got sacked from work tomorrow for making this comment? If you live in certain parts of the world supporting gay rights is seen as socially unacceptable and even illegal, sorry but harassing a guys employer for his political beliefs is crossing a line. No matter how odious those political beliefs are, oh and yes financially supporting the campaign for one side or another in a legislative bill is political expression.

Unless Mozilla themselves are actually supporting bills like this its better to leave their staff out of it, even the CEO. This is just a petty attempt at harassment, sorry but it is and I support equal rights but this is crossing the line. Want the man to know how odious his beliefs are? Tell him, write blogs telling everyone else or any number of other things but involving his employers by attempting to financially strong arm them into firing him is as bad as anti LGBT legislation.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
So apparently the LGBT community is intolerant of views different from their own.
That's pretty damn ironic.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
As long as his LBGT views don't affect his job, not only could I not care less as far as browser use is concerned, but I think it's counter-productive and demeaning to a group that is pro-LGBT, or really any group, to employ such a tactic.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Wow, boycotting a browser that is open and gives equal benefits to same sex partners, one of the most progressive companies in Silicon Valley.
This self righteous bullshit needs to stop.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, slacktivism. The biggest gift of our time. Isn't that right, Kony 2012?

OT: A donation to a bill six years ago is not going to influence me in ANY direction. Imagine if people held grudges about MY six-year-old closet skeletons.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Oh shit, $1000, truly, Mr. Moneybags must be the sole cause of all harm ever to gay people everywhere.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Is it just me, or has this been happening more and more? o_O First there was that whole boycott movement for Ender's Game, based on Orson Scott Card's (admittedly adamantly expressed, although generally in a Mormon publication,) own opposition. Then there was that whole Duck Dynasty incident that only sticks in my memory because my Facebook news feed was filled with people bitching about that one fella from the show being tossed or something. Now there's this.

To make my own viewpoint clear, if my local corner store ends up coming under the ownership of someone who snarls homophobic insults at every gay person he comes across, or even mutters them under his breath regularly in my presence, then yep, I'm probably going to find a new store. But if the owner just HOLDS those beliefs, and expresses them solely through, say, voting practices (because seriously guys, entire democratic process falls on its face if any victory is tainted with blackmail and threats,) then I'll still shop there. Heck, I'll even have a friendly conversation with him, assuming we can keep our opposing beliefs out of the talk. The point of boycotting wouldn't be 'Change Your Views.' It'd be 'Shut The Fuck Up And Give Me Chips.'

I already DO have a similar situation with a co-worker. He's very, very, VERY Christian, and firmly believes that marriage is sacred, etc, etc, and you can bet your ass that he voted against legalizing marriage. But he doesn't treat our gay co-workers any differently, even hangs out with one of them outside work as regularly, or more so, than anyone else, and otherwise doesn't try to make anyone feel unwelcome or under attack due to their sexuality. He's perfectly fine with them BEING gay, and they're perfectly fine with his views as well, even those that run extremely contrary to theirs.

That might be why it's difficult for me to get worked up about this, I'm literally surrounded by the very people who, despite the fact that they have more right than me to be upset, simply aren't. But it seems that burning someone for his opposing views, even when they don't reflect in his business or product, is just liable to make things WORSE. Because anyone who gets fired, or has his business collapse, or gets beat up because of his views isn't going to decide 'Whelp, guess I was wrong.' If anything, he's just going to be all the more convinced that he is right, nurse a grudge, and be louder, more active and more aggressive in pursuing any anti-gay agenda. Someone who just didn't agree with the concept of homosexuality 'Because Bible' is going to end up joining the group of people who actively, violently hate them.

tldr: If Mozilla starts practicing anti-gay policies, be it changing their banner to 'Blame The Gays' or even showing blatant hiring discrimination against homosexuals, then I'll take a boycott far more seriously. If their CEO starts picketing gay bars, or mugging homosexuals, I'll also consider such a boycott. Until then, this is frankly starting to look like a witch hunt.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Yea, sorry I am not gonna go attack someone for holding a different belief than another group of people, not only does that set off a huge red flag in my mind about where our society is going, it just gives me a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yes, let's doom this entire billion dollar company and hope they fail and all their workers and contractors and everyone else making a living from their success suddenly finds themselves out of work and unable to support their families because their CEO is a numb skull.

Logic, you has it OKCupid.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
DoctorM said:
So apparently the LGBT community is intolerant of views different from their own.
That's pretty damn ironic.
To be fair, the view they're being intolerant of holds them as undeserving of the rights any other citizen of their nation is entitled to. I think it's fair for them not to want that view around.

Still, I think this is utterly ridiculous. It's a nigh-effortless change, yes, but still it seems pointless. The CEO was likely put in his position because of some bit of business savvy. I doubt his views factored into it at all. And I think it's a safe assumption that just as many people at Mozilla support the LGBT. The CEO holds some assholish views, yes, but as far as we know, his only action was a political campaign, which he is fully entitled to do, and it really doesn't justify condemning the whole company. At least not in my eyes.

If Firefox itself starts being used as an anti-LGBT tool, hell yeah, I will certainly advocate a boycott of it. But for this, it just seems like a harsh reaction to something entirely insignificant.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Hey you know what, They are allowed to hate on whoever they want and I'll support them. Because you know what's more important to me then someone's stance on LGBT? Not selling my info to the NSA.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
For the record, I think its worth pointing out that Ok Cupid has a clear business motive for opposing anti-gay legislation. The more same-sex relationships are tolerated and accepted, the more gay people will go looking for dates, like through an online website, say, Ok Cupid. Seeing as Ok Cupid is the biggest dating site out there that allows same-sex relationships in it, they by far have a fair bit to lose. I mean, its even cited right there in their statement, 8%. At least 8% of their business is built on non-heterosexual people looking for relationships.
This. 1000 times. OkCupid is the online dating site of choice for the LGBT community. They have been extremely proactive in building a LGBT-friendly experience with plenty of options and care given to the design (many sites are not well-designed around same-sex dating and basically just shoot out the same generic questions, regardless of listed sexuality.)

Consider that the most heavily advertised dating sites (e.g. eHarmony.com)did not offer a LGBT option until recently.

Personally, it may be a small gesture, but a great PR move. As a gay man who signed up for OKCupid several years ago BECAUSE there were no other options at the time, I find it endearing despite the CEO's actions being rather small on the national scale. It's just part of their continued branding as a "LGBT-safe site," which isn't necessarily good or bad.