OKCupid Asks Firefox Users To Support LGBT Rights, Switch Browsers

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
Why should I be concerned with a company's CEO's political views? The browser is not coded by his political views, it's coded be the company's employees. The fact that somebody once supported something that somebody else doesn't like should not be a valid reason for people to abandon a project that has absolutely nothing to do technically with that event. I have absolutely nothing against LGBT, I'm all for human equality all over the world, but I won't switch from a browser I actually like just because somebody did something someone else didn't like.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh noes!

A company built (in part) on recognising equality for gay people doesn't like a company run by a homophobe, and politely asks people if they'll consider using someone else's free products. The gays are taking over! The hypocrisy of wanting equality but not liking people trying to force inequality on others is staggering!

This has gone much too far, the gay panic defence probably won't get you off scot free from a murder, so obviously there is no more homophobia left. Gay people should just sit around and not make a fuss and wait until people feel like no discriminating against them anymore.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
So, I might be taking the wrong lesson from all of this, but...a 1000 USD donation? Certainly, it's a lot of money to just throw away, and I strongly disagree with the political and social views that led him to donate the money, but in the grand scheme of things it seems pretty harmless. That's, like, what Flappy Bird earned every half-hour or so.

In any case, I'm not sure what my feelings on all of this are. On the one hand, he has the right to believe whatever he wants, and considering his new promotion, he'll probably shut up about it, too (Lest he lose his job).

On the other hand, I can't say I wish to support him, either.

I think I'll withhold judgement until he either does something stupid (Which would, again, probably get him fired) or I forget.

(The point is moot; I use Chrome.)

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Oh noes!

A company built (in part) on recognising equality for gay people doesn't like a company run by a homophobe, and politely asks people if they'll consider using someone else's free products. The gays are taking over! The hypocrisy of wanting equality but not liking people trying to force inequality on others is staggering!

This has gone much too far, the gay panic defence probably won't get you off scot free from a murder, so obviously there is no more homophobia left. Gay people should just sit around and not make a fuss and wait until people feel like no discriminating against them anymore.
So will you accept as nicely a proposition to switch a browser because new CEO of a company that releases it is gay?

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
No, dating site I don't care/didn't know about before this, I will not switch browsers because someone else's viewpoint disagrees with yours.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rastrelly said:
So will you accept as nicely a proposition to switch a browser because new CEO of a company that releases it is gay?

No.

Being gay, and hating gay people and wanting them to have less rights aren't equivalent sides of an argument.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well either this is an april fools troll or just a general "OMG look at my agenda" troll, either way the choice of my browser doesn't hinge on those and never will.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
SourMilk said:
...And what about those who seek to not give a shit? Must we embrace the spam of LGBT? I suppose nowadays you're either with them or against them.
Quoted for truth.

I couldn't care less what the CEO of Firefox donates to. I use FF and I didn't even know there was a change.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I can see how switching browsers might hurt Microsoft or Google (less data for them to analyse and make money off), but Mozilla is a non-profit organisation. Whether you use Firefox or not, they're not making any money, so how can a boycott hurt them? I don't think these people have thought things through very well.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
People don't care since they are interested in the product and not the guy's views. Seriously LGBT community is becoming more obnoxious keep this up and many people who support you will simply stop giving a damn.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Umm, sooo? Dudes, it's just a browser. Telling people not to use it because of one guy's views is like telling people not to wear underwear because its initial creator was racist. It's just petty and unnecessary, especially since it's just a browser.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
But why should i care if 1 person out of - how many work at mozilla? - many people has an immoral opinion?
Do i have to boycott EVERY company where at least 1 person has anti-whatever views?

So basically i'm screwed and can't shop ANYwhere because it could be that i'd support someone who holds such views.
Sorry, that line of thinking is just not applicable in real life. And whatever this guy does in his personal life has nothing to do with Mozilla as a company.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
What a load of bull.

OkCupid is the intolerant one here, pushing the false mantra of "equality" and accusing someone of "DENY love and instead enforce MISERY, SHAME and frustration are our ENEMIES..." simply for being reasonable about marriage. Assholes.

Opposing the irrational nonsense of same-sex "marriage" is not against yours, or anyone else's, human rights: get over it.
But that of course doesn't stop ACTUAL intolerant bigots from accusing those that disagree with them of a MENTAL ILLNESS for standing their ground in support of sanity.

Bah!

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Kliever said:
SourMilk said:
...And what about those who seek to not give a shit? Must we embrace the spam of LGBT? I suppose nowadays you're either with them or against them.
You've managed to summarize the entire thing in one perfect sentence. In today's world, our options are ''support us or we label you a bigot and bully you to submission and run you out of business''

-A bakery in America was literally shut down with mafia tactics because they didn't want to support a gay wedding out of religious belief, even though they recommended other shops that would
-Riot police in Paris attacked peaceful protestors and used tear gas on children and the elderly
-Gay activists hurl feces at German parents protesting pro-gay school curriculum.
[citations desperately needed]

And by "citations" I mean "credible news sites".

HEY! I SAID CREDIBLE!

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
joshuaayt said:
Proposition 8 was despicable- as is anyone who supported it.
And this guy didn't just support it internally, it wasn't just a part of him- he took action, and supported it with his wallet.

So, fuck him. You're allowed to believe whatever the fuck you want, but the second you're actively helping efforts to hurt innocent people, you become indefensible.
NO, someone is NOT despicable because he holds views different from yours - and pushing to retain marriage as something which is inherently related to procreation does NOT hurt innocent people.

This specific opinion of yours is indefensible, not otherwise - Mozilla's CEO should be proud of his support for Prop8.