Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

Fir3

Aug 22, 2012
My guess is one of TopWare's Earth Series. My understanding is that the Eurasian Dynasty faction has underground tunnels for some of their logistics. Unfortunately I don't play a lot of RTS, so this is only a guess.

The only other game I remember with a similar system is Petroglyph Games' Grey Goo, but that was released in 2015...
Thanks for trying, sadly, it's not one of the Earth series. I saw the cover art for Earth 2160 with a planet in top left similar to my photo, but the main menu is different.
I checked in the past hundreds of games from multiple lists like MobyGames, UVL, IGN, Wikipedia etc. in the 1997-2007 range.
I guess it must be an obscure game not listed on those lists or further search had incomplete information (screenshots, gameplay videos) to identify it correctly.
Another scenario considered was if it was the unlikely and rare case when a demo is available before the full release, but the game is cancelled later. Unseen64 has this type of list, no match found though.
This has become for me the most mysterious RTS game in the world.

Lost742076

Nov 6, 2022
Country
AU
I played this game around 2017, I don't know when it was made. Thrn my computer died and I met the love of my life. Killing me that I can't remember, I want to finish it. So if anyone can help:

- single player
- party type rpg
- fantasy
- 3d
- combat was squadron type based
- kinda turn based.
- combat was chaotic as it was realistic individual unit positioning. Most attacks were single target but I got my staff weapon mastery high enough to unlock the aoe attack (aoe was depressingly small)
- combat I remember mages could use skills that would trigger a special attack that hit everyone on the battlefield, very endgame might have been s-class. Had an npc one iirc
- combat you had alot of control over only the leader or something
- crafting was a thing, I remember reloading maps repeatedly for rare boss/type mobs to spawn so I could get rare crafting mats.

It was an awesome game. Staff might have been the wrong choice but I wanna play it again if anyone can help.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I played this game around 2017, I don't know when it was made. Thrn my computer died and I met the love of my life. Killing me that I can't remember, I want to finish it. So if anyone can help:

- single player
- party type rpg
- fantasy
- 3d
- combat was squadron type based
- kinda turn based.
- combat was chaotic as it was realistic individual unit positioning. Most attacks were single target but I got my staff weapon mastery high enough to unlock the aoe attack (aoe was depressingly small)
- combat I remember mages could use skills that would trigger a special attack that hit everyone on the battlefield, very endgame might have been s-class. Had an npc one iirc
- combat you had alot of control over only the leader or something
- crafting was a thing, I remember reloading maps repeatedly for rare boss/type mobs to spawn so I could get rare crafting mats.

It was an awesome game. Staff might have been the wrong choice but I wanna play it again if anyone can help.
Baulders Gate or Neverwinter Night or Divinity:Original Sin? Do you remember anything about any of the characters or art style or races that were player characters?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Lost742076

Nov 6, 2022
Country
AU
Baulders Gate or Neverwinter Night or Divinity:Original Sin? Do you remember anything about any of the characters or art style or races that were player characters?
Builders gate. Combat is a different mode on the map all you can do is move when you are not in combat.

Menus are too detailed and interfaced with the ui.

Neverwinter isn't it. The gear is stored in lists not in a visual put it in your backpack setup.

Divinity:Original Sin isn't it either. Look and feel is wrong apart from feeling too over the top in detail can't really put my finger in it. Also similar reasons to the above.

Thinking about the game I remember a dungeon in a cave with water in it. Another cave with lava in it. A desert.
I think most of thr guides were in an Asian language possibly Korean.
The game wasn't on steam or I'd have it. I think I got it on gog.

Anything about the story or characters. I think we were looking for a sister? I just remember a throne room with everyone standing there agreeing a mission. So vague are these memories sorry

I remember everyone as human. Might have just all been humanoid. One of the races had 4 arms I think.

I just remembered on of the bosses being a giant puppet.

Lost742076

Nov 6, 2022
Country
AU
I think I found the original post that lead me to the game. Was
The Last Remnant. Thank you all for trying

Reactions: Worgen

Yukaphile

Feb 7, 2017
I've been taking a trip down memory lane and found an old game, Frogapult. It got me thinking of another game, one called The Boss, IIRC, released around the same time. What happens is it's a parody of that horrible boss we all know. You take him, and tie him to a wall. Then you begin torturing him. Throwing knives at him. They fail to stick to him and hit the wall. Then they hit his wrists and ankles. Then you roll a balling ball into his groinsack and crush his nuts. There's a little brown-noser nearby. And then we get dialogue like this...

"It was you, wasn't it? You're the one."
"You're the one."
"Xeroxed your ass."
"That was you?"
"Sent it around the office -"
"- wow -"
"- with MY name on it."
"You've got a nice ass."
"You're in deep shit."
"You must be working out, yeah."

When he fires you, he says something like "see if you can spell your fookin' name right." Finally you kill him by sticking a paper airplane in his eye, and he screams shrilly, like a girl, before he dies. Then the brown-noser gets mad at you, but says he's been behind you the whole time, and suggests being partners? You can restart the game at ANY time before that point, but once you get to the next stage with the microwave, and the brown-noser inside it, once you explode him, you can't go back. He mocks the idea of how stupid a "gerbil in a microwave" is, and then says, "you suck" before exploding. You can explode him over and over. It goes basically:

"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!

God, WHAT WAS THAT GAME? I KNOW it was called The Boss, but without anything more specific, like release date, year, the company that licensed it, I can't figure out where it is or find YouTube vids online. Help me, please?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've been taking a trip down memory lane and found an old game, Frogapult. It got me thinking of another game, one called The Boss, IIRC, released around the same time. What happens is it's a parody of that horrible boss we all know. You take him, and tie him to a wall. Then you begin torturing him. Throwing knives at him. They fail to stick to him and hit the wall. Then they hit his wrists and ankles. Then you roll a balling ball into his groinsack and crush his nuts. There's a little brown-noser nearby. And then we get dialogue like this...

"It was you, wasn't it? You're the one."
"You're the one."
"Xeroxed your ass."
"That was you?"
"Sent it around the office -"
"- wow -"
"- with MY name on it."
"You've got a nice ass."
"You're in deep shit."
"You must be working out, yeah."

When he fires you, he says something like "see if you can spell your fookin' name right." Finally you kill him by sticking a paper airplane in his eye, and he screams shrilly, like a girl, before he dies. Then the brown-noser gets mad at you, but says he's been behind you the whole time, and suggests being partners? You can restart the game at ANY time before that point, but once you get to the next stage with the microwave, and the brown-noser inside it, once you explode him, you can't go back. He mocks the idea of how stupid a "gerbil in a microwave" is, and then says, "you suck" before exploding. You can explode him over and over. It goes basically:

"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!
"You suck."
BOOM!

God, WHAT WAS THAT GAME? I KNOW it was called The Boss, but without anything more specific, like release date, year, the company that licensed it, I can't figure out where it is or find YouTube vids online. Help me, please?
Well, it sounds like a flash game, is this it?

Yukaphile

Feb 7, 2017
It is! Thank you!

There is another flash game I have a memory of that I don't if I can find? IIRC, there's this balloon machine thing in the air you're trying to fight, with floating debris flying across the screen, and some of them are Balloon Pikachus, others are, I think, Barney the Dinosaur? I dunno, it was from the late 1990s.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Not sure if it's okay to ask this since it may be straying into emulator territory.

When I was younger, probably early 2000s. I found some kind of vector arcade game compilation.... thing. It had Asteroids, it had Space Wars. It had Tempest. Pretty sure it had something like Battle Zone, some whacky dodgy racing games. I don't know if it was an actual emulator or just some freeware reproduction. But it was pretty plug and play, just download it and run the executable and you were good to go. Contained a bunch of games to select.

I can't even remember where I got it. I think this was before torrents, it was the days of kazaa and stuff. I probably was still on dial up. I get the feeling I might have been just trying out random free game related things from download.com before it turned into a malware hub. I don't think I randomly downloaded it off the p2p software cause all I'd know about the file is the file name and nothing else. I remember back in the day you could find random people's silly hobby projects - I remember downloading some piece of crap called "Kill The Pokemon", and it was just a silly basic turret shooter where you shot missiles from a turret in the center of the screen at randomly moving and spawning Pokemon sprites and they would just explode.

I have no idea if anybody has encountered this esoteric piece of software.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Not sure if it's okay to ask this since it may be straying into emulator territory.

When I was younger, probably early 2000s. I found some kind of vector arcade game compilation.... thing. It had Asteroids, it had Space Wars. It had Tempest. Pretty sure it had something like Battle Zone, some whacky dodgy racing games. I don't know if it was an actual emulator or just some freeware reproduction. But it was pretty plug and play, just download it and run the executable and you were good to go. Contained a bunch of games to select.

I can't even remember where I got it. I think this was before torrents, it was the days of kazaa and stuff. I probably was still on dial up. I get the feeling I might have been just trying out random free game related things from download.com before it turned into a malware hub. I don't think I randomly downloaded it off the p2p software cause all I'd know about the file is the file name and nothing else. I remember back in the day you could find random people's silly hobby projects - I remember downloading some piece of crap called "Kill The Pokemon", and it was just a silly basic turret shooter where you shot missiles from a turret in the center of the screen at randomly moving and spawning Pokemon sprites and they would just explode.

If you want to play Asteroids, Space Wars and whatever other arcade games, can't you just download MAME?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Well, there was Microsoft Arcade.

But I think the compilation you want is something else, I remember seeing it in stores but I don't remember the name.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
If you want to play Asteroids, Space Wars and whatever other arcade games, can't you just download MAME?
Not really hankering to play those games specifically but just wondering what I had back in the day.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States

That was likely one of these:
Atari: Anniversary Edition,
Atari's Greatest Hits (which itself was a compilation of two compilation games: Atari Arcade Hits: Volume 1 and Volume 2),
or Atari: 80 Classic Games in One!

None of them will have Space Wars proper, since that wasn't a game by Atari, but I'm sure there was something similar in Atari's library.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Bit of a long shot, but I'm trying to remember the name of a specific light cruiser which I recall controlling in a somewhat old naval tactical simulator (I'll settle for the name of the game since I'll look around for the light cruiser's name by other means).

The game itself is pretty old (late 1990's or thereabouts, the graphics are such that the simulated battles were conducted entirely in open water with no background at all). Included battles in which you could play as either side were the Battle of the River Plate (HMS Ajax, HMS Exeter, & HMNZS Achilles vs KMS Graf Spee) and Operation Rheinubung (a theoretical link-up of the German capital units) (HMS Hood, HMS Norfolk, HMS Prince of Wales, & HMS Suffolk vs KMS Bismarck, KMS Gneisenau, KMS Prinz Eugen, & KMS Scharnhorst). These two I remember clearly. Another scenario was, IIRC, Convoy PQ17, but only the engagement among the lighter vessels (with the convoy itself represented by four transport ships) (KMS Adm Hipper & four or five destroyers, all named only by their Z-number vs. Allied (RN only, I think) cruisers and destroyers (or just destroyers, can't remember), but the allied objective was not to win, just make sure at least one of the transports made it across the map). There were also Pacific War scenarios, primarily late-war since aircraft carriers weren't in the game.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bit of a long shot, but I'm trying to remember the name of a specific light cruiser which I recall controlling in a somewhat old naval tactical simulator (I'll settle for the name of the game since I'll look around for the light cruiser's name by other means).

The game itself is pretty old (late 1990's or thereabouts, the graphics are such that the simulated battles were conducted entirely in open water with no background at all). Included battles in which you could play as either side were the Battle of the River Plate (HMS Ajax, HMS Exeter, & HMNZS Achilles vs KMS Graf Spee) and Operation Rheinubung (a theoretical link-up of the German capital units) (HMS Hood, HMS Norfolk, HMS Prince of Wales, & HMS Suffolk vs KMS Bismarck, KMS Gneisenau, KMS Prinz Eugen, & KMS Scharnhorst). These two I remember clearly. Another scenario was, IIRC, Convoy PQ17, but only the engagement among the lighter vessels (with the convoy itself represented by four transport ships) (KMS Adm Hipper & four or five destroyers, all named only by their Z-number vs. Allied (RN only, I think) cruisers and destroyers (or just destroyers, can't remember), but the allied objective was not to win, just make sure at least one of the transports made it across the map). There were also Pacific War scenarios, primarily late-war since aircraft carriers weren't in the game.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Could the game have been one of these?
Carrier Strike: South Pacific 1942-44
Fighting Steel: World War II Surface Combat 1939-1942
one of the games in the Great Naval Battles series
or Jane's Combat Simulations: Fleet Command

Reactions: SckizoBoy

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
A man with a fancy knife has a moody conversation in a military plane, I forget if there was even anyone with him to speak with. Gameplay begins as he's dropped off in a snowy facility surrounded by metal crates that he climbs over. This was a demo, probably on original Xbox; I don't suppose it was on any other system?