Older Iceman Confirmed to Be Gay in Uncanny X-Men 600

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
CaptainMarvelous said:
Wonka video aside though, Bi-erasure is kindof a legit social problem. I can name a solid 10-11 gay comic characters off the top of my head but I'm struggling to think of many bisexual ones who haven't been retconned into being straight or, like Iceman here, just out and out gay.
Your right nobody likes change but there's kindof a bit more behind the jimmies rustled by this story.
I see your point, i have been fortunate enough to not have come across that before. Though do you honestly believe that this is their intention? To wipe any evidence of bisexuality from our media? It feels like a matter of perspective in this case. I would hope a comic writer would not hold such malevolent ambitions.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Wonka video aside though, Bi-erasure is kindof a legit social problem. I can name a solid 10-11 gay comic characters off the top of my head but I'm struggling to think of many bisexual ones who haven't been retconned into being straight or, like Iceman here, just out and out gay.
Your right nobody likes change but there's kindof a bit more behind the jimmies rustled by this story.
I see your point, i have been fortunate enough to not have come across that before. Though do you honestly believe that this is their intention? To wipe any evidence of bisexuality from our media? It feels like a matter of perspective in this case. I would hope a comic writer would not hold such malevolent ambitions.
I don't believe it's their intention but it is something they did, it's like you say, not being aware it's a problem kinda stops you being aware when you exacerbate it. Bendis (the guy who wrote that X-men arc) is generally a pretty upstanding dude and I think it was probably meant as an effort to be more inclusive for gay people, but the end result is a lot of bisexuals feel marginalised since it seems to be saying you can either be straight or gay. In-between is swept under the rug.

That and the actual story wasn't handled very well since Jean Grey flat out tells the teenage Iceman that he's gay and so he is.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Except this isn't how time travel in the Marvel Universe works. Changing the past doesn't change your future but creates a new timeline.

So just because young Iceman is gay doesn't mean that future Iceman had to be. It's things like that which let us have the power couple of Hercules and Wolverine in Exiles.

Personally speaking I think it would have made for a more interesting story if young Bobby was gay but older Bobby was straight. Would have made for some great tension between him and team mates, as well as an interesting dynamic with his younger self.

Edit: When was it revealed Bobby was Bi? I've been reading since the 80s and I honestly don't recall that.

VVThoughtBox

Mar 3, 2014
Wait, shouldn't Older Iceman be bisexual? I don't read the comics and don't know anything about the character, but if Iceman was attracted to men in his youth and seemingly grew out of it as an adult, then shouldn't he technically bisexual?