On Dongles

Apr 28, 2008
For those who don't know, this is about that conference party recently (think it was an IGDA conference) that brought out a bunch of dancer in what looked like a semi-professional environment for no apparent reason other than to have dancers.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
I approve of this fan service!

But this does'n't really happen does it?
At the Yetizen party last year:

"I am not a believer in black and white issues about body image and sexism. I think it's all a continuum, you'll always find people more extreme than you in any direction, and context is very important. That said, I think the women wearing only body paint from the waist up at a games industry party, literally on the arm of one of the founders of the company, sends a very destructive image. "
- Noah Falstein

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/NoahFalstein/20120313/165635/The_Yetizen_Party.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Falstein

It seems like it really does happen :(

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
So is this about that woman who got those guys fired over a dongle joke?
Its a reference to that but also to the various after parties at recent conferences (including by Mojang) where there were rather underdressed dancers, who quite obviously weren't conference attendees. Mojang's excuse was that they were hired by the venue, not them.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Irridium said:
For those who don't know, this is about that conference recently (think it was an IGDA conference) that brought out strippers in what should have been a professional environment for no apparent reason other than to have strippers.
I am not suggesting it makes it okay (because it was a really stupid idea), but they were dancers, not strippers, and it was at a party, not the conference itself.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Irridium said:
For those who don't know, this is about that conference recently (think it was an IGDA conference) that brought out strippers in what should have been a professional environment for no apparent reason other than to have strippers.

Is this another prude USA thing? as in the UK our shopping centre's (malls to you I believe) have strippers during the day all the time and people of all ages just accept it I've never seen women when with there children show any offence anyway.
We have strippers in our malls? Since when?

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm sure they have a lot of collage tuition fees to pay
'but I'm really good at video games', ill be the judge of that

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Is this another prude USA thing? as in the UK our shopping centre's (malls to you I believe) have strippers during the day all the time and people of all ages just accept it I've never seen women when with there children show any offence anyway.
Err have you been smoking some "special" tobacco? I have never even heard of strippers in shopping centres, could you provide some sort of proof? I know its hard to tell the difference between Essex girls and strippers but Essex girls don't take of their clothes in public until they have had at least 3 hours of drinking time.

Apr 28, 2008
Legion said:
Irridium said:
I am not suggesting it makes it okay (because it was a really stupid idea), but they were dancers, not strippers, and it was at a party, not the conference itself.

Really? My mistake then.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Correct, they weren't strippers, and they were dressed in "yeti" costumes that were fairly demure (unlike the Wargaming party, where they were barely dressed). In the case of the IGDA party, it's still considered a professional event as many designers uses such GDC events to network, pursue job leads, etc.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Reading this thread, I'm not sure if everyone else missed the point, or if I missed the point...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
rhizhim said:
lacktheknack said:
Reading this thread, I'm not sure if everyone else missed the point, or if I missed the point...
its you.
your username is lacktheknack.

plus it was during a party and not a conference...
Regardless of context, I thought the comic was lampooning how "the industry" and various gamers seem to think "strippers are OK if they're into games", meaning this is a guilt comic.

Except there's no guilt in this thread.

Maybe I do lack the knack at this...

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Irridium said:

I don't think they do, old chap. Not around these parts anyway. The raciest thing you're likely to see on a normal day in a shopping centre is a lingerie mannequin, which isn't quite the same thing.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
wackelpudding said:
"Testosterzone" -- my new favourite word!
Nothing will ever beat the quantum vagina.

"It's like schrodingers pussy!"

Yeah, strippers at conferences...kinda awkward and let's face it, not a great sign of confidence.

"CRAP our demo isn't anywhere near good enough...BRING OUT THE DANCING GIRLS!"

And the dongle thing? Not sure what the comic has to do with it, except sexism, but my two cents on it is that, well, it's a massive overreaction to idle jokes between workmates that weren't even directed at anyone.

And who on earth DOESN'T think "dongle" sounds like an innuendo?