On Geek Privilege

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Techno Squidgy said:
Why are people so bad at being decent human beings? I don't get it. Is it really so hard to smile, be pleasant, not fuck people over for your own gain?

We have the technology, the creativity, the ingenuity, the methods and the means to ensure everyone on this planet has the things they need to live comfortably and well. However, the resource distribution is just a teeny-weeny, itsy-bitsy, tiny bit absolutely-and-completely-fucking-fucked. I've got to say, I really like the ideas of pure communism and Anarchism, but at the same time, until everyone stops being a dick, that's just not going to work, so we're stuck in this stupid system.
We evolved to be tribalistic, giving us some very conflicting urges when it comes to helping/hurting others. ON the one hand we are genetically predisposed to work together in groups for the good of all in the group. On the other hand we are genetically predisposed to fear/hate other tribes because they might try to take our stuff, and because we really like the stuff they have. This conflict between two natures means that the best way to attack the problem is through education, showing how every man and woman is part of one big tribe. This will only work until we discover alien life though. /shakes fist at the stars

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Geek culture and geek community. The whole idea amuses me because the "culture" is basically founded on milking kids' money in exchange for trinkets.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Moth_Monk said:
Geek culture and geek community. The whole idea amuses me because the "culture" is basically founded on milking kids' money in exchange for trinkets.
You could make a similar argument about "hip hop" culture, but I'm not sure what's really wrong with that. You wrote that it amuses you, but without a greater context I'm not sure if that's meant to be derisive or not. If people find common ground and grow friendships and whole communities out of a shared love for trinkets, so what? If you didn't intend that to be derisive and you are just amused by the idea, please excuse me contesting you on this.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
ultreos2 said:
Floppertje said:
I didn't miss your point but you have seemingly missed mine. To exclude someone from being there means to exclude someone from being there. Yes it is about how you treat people, let me ask again, has any video game you played, actually displayed anything that remotely looks like it is treating a specific group, or gender, or non geek in a way deemed wrong and or exclusionary.

But more to what you are missing, is that the "geek culture" does not consist of only straight white men, contrary to some of what was written in that article and encompasses a huge number of diversified individuals. Meaning the "Geek club" is not an "No Girls allowed Club" Nor are geeks chastising anyone who goes to a place considered "geek" in nature who does not look geek enough. These people are not being treated differently, and that's the faulty premise of this entire article.

Because it's happened, we as a "geek culture" are permitting it, or even defending it. Except we don't.

Just because a female character with strong portrayal is not a game does not mean that the game is not trying to treat people equally. You can't and often shouldn't make a character for everyone. That does not mean that the female player, or Russian Player, or hell let's say German Player since Nazi's are a common enemy, are being treated badly once they get there, they in fact are not.

Here let me give you a classic example. Nintendo makes kids games. Nintendo is for kids! Pokemon is kiddie! Heard any of these before? This is hot geek on geek debate right there. Happens all the time.

But is Nintendo treating it's older audience poorly just because they primarily aim their games at kids? Does the Nintendo game playing community keep older players out of "Their culture" because they are older, and it's meant for kids primarily?

No.

If the argument is about how people are treated in the geek culture when they are an "outsider" then there is no argument. There might have been one back in the day, but these days, you walk through the doors of Sakuracon, and you are a geek. You walk into a video game store, and you are a geek. You are greeted, you are helped if you need it, and they will help you find the things you want regardless of what you may or may not look like.

Because Geeks can be, and are anyone, Geeks don't try and outcast people.

The example of the Gay bar was the premise of the start of Bob's topic. Please, enlighten me, where have you ever gone, where any specific person was actually treated they was described in the Gay bar example in the "geek scene".

If truly we Geeks are treating people like outcasts, you could site some recent example where that happened on a scale that felt exclusionary.

Geeks may have at one time tried to exclude people from their culture, but I bet you people would be hard pressed to find that we are actually that exclusionary these days if at all.
So you didn't miss my point but you're being intentionally obtuse?
YES! Military shooters use muslims as bullet spunges, women are mostly used for titilation (mass effect, a game praised for it's characterization can't stop zooming in on miranda's ass), Call of Juarez: the Cartel has a mission where you shoot black gang members and you get an achievement for doing so. I call that wrong.

Yes, geek culture DOES consist mainly of straight white men. Do you think the whole 'fake geek girl' thing exists because girls really are faking their geekyness so they can get in your pants or maybe guys are just a little insecure about losing their popularity throne in the geek kingdom?

You claim that we aren't permitting or defending it, but in the same post you deny the problem exists! that's the definition of permitting it.

No, you shouldn't make a character for everyone, but yes, women, russians and germans ARE treated badly. you must not spend a lot of time on the internet. Are you honestly telling me you never heard anyone call a german player a nazi just because they're german? never heard a racial slur on xbox live?

As for your question on where people are treated badly, how about conventions? How about the internet? women are supposed to be either pretty and therefor eyecandy for the guys, or they're supposed to not be there, and god forbid someone cosplays as someone more attractive than them...
And how about those female writers who get insulted and threatened because they're women who wrote something for a videogame?

You are trying to deny a problem that very definitely DOES exist, which brings me back to my original point: you are certainly part of the problem.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I am so sick of hearing about privilege this and privilege that. What is the point of this? Why can't people just enjoy what they do and have a good time without someone trying to label and categorize them? I play video games and I work with computers but that does not make me a part of any culture. I am just an individual enjoying hobbies and I can't remember the last time somebody gave me shit for it. I just don't see the purpose of this article. I understand what the writer wanted the purpose to be I just don't see why the writer cares about something as stupid as this.

edit: I also feel like this needs to be said. Freedom is biased towards true equality. When I say true equality I mean in the sense that the privilege and oppression obsessed mean it. Everyone is treated the same, has the same (or no) privileges, and everyone has equal outcomes which stifles the freedom of others to achieve more and enjoy life more when they do. Pseudo-marxist freedom seems to be what these people want. Real freedom does mean that some people end up getting treated differently, end up making different salaries and yes even have certain privileges that other people don't get. Some of them you will get just because of your skin color or gender but its important to remember just about everyone has some form of privilege AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Jasper van Heycop said:
Floppertje said:
Resident evil is made for the same people other games are made for: middle class white guys. You spent the fifth game shooting up Africans as a muscular all-american stereotype, do you really think they sat around and said 'okay, let's think about how we can make this game more attractive to African Americans'?
Yeaaahh no... Resident Evil is made in Japan, by Japanese company Capcom to be enjoyed mostly by the Japanese (though they know it as the generic "Biohazard"). If it were made for the Western market it wouldn't still have the retarded tanky controls or such a wildly racist depiction of black people (you are totally right there).
I know capcom is japanese, but I think they're too international to conclude that they automatically make games for japanese audiences. Or are the Japanese more interested in American stereotypes than in Japanese characters? That's not rethorical, I'm genuinely wondering.
Perhaps it's a perception thing; most games are about white people, that's what sells so that's what they keep making.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Robert Marrs said:
I am so sick of hearing about privilege this and privilege that. What is the point of this? Why can't people just enjoy what they do and have a good time without someone trying to label and categorize them? I play video games and I work with computers but that does not make me a part of any culture. I am just an individual enjoying hobbies and I can't remember the last time somebody gave me shit for it. I just don't see the purpose of this article. I understand what the writer wanted the purpose to be I just don't see why the writer cares about something as stupid as this.

edit: I also feel like this needs to be said. Freedom is biased towards true equality. When I say true equality I mean in the sense that the privilege and oppression obsessed mean it. Everyone is treated the same, has the same (or no) privileges, and everyone has equal outcomes which stifles the freedom of others to achieve more and enjoy life more when they do. Pseudo-marxist freedom seems to be what these people want. Real freedom does mean that some people end up getting treated differently, end up making different salaries and yes even have certain privileges that other people don't get. Some of them you will get just because of your skin color or gender but its important to remember just about everyone has some form of privilege AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!
Privilege is an important concept that has been misused, misappropriated and beaten into the ground. We should still talk about it and analyze it even if some people are totally ignorant of its proper application (like the Bechtel Test) or who misappropriate the idea to excuse their own hatred and bigotry.

On your edit, equality and freedom are on opposite sides. The more free we are to oppress, the more likely oppression will occur. On the other hand equality through government mandate has its own issues, most often with a minority of people becoming a hell of a lot more equal than others. The best idea, I think, is to try to maximize freedom and equality by protecting everyone equally under the law while allowing people to make their own choices. Equality under the law buoyed by education and human sympathy. Freedom under the law for everyone.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
ultreos2 said:
Floppertje said:
ultreos2 said:
Floppertje said:
I didn't miss your point but you have seemingly missed mine. To exclude someone from being there means to exclude someone from being there. Yes it is about how you treat people, let me ask again, has any video game you played, actually displayed anything that remotely looks like it is treating a specific group, or gender, or non geek in a way deemed wrong and or exclusionary.

But more to what you are missing, is that the "geek culture" does not consist of only straight white men, contrary to some of what was written in that article and encompasses a huge number of diversified individuals. Meaning the "Geek club" is not an "No Girls allowed Club" Nor are geeks chastising anyone who goes to a place considered "geek" in nature who does not look geek enough. These people are not being treated differently, and that's the faulty premise of this entire article.

Because it's happened, we as a "geek culture" are permitting it, or even defending it. Except we don't.

Just because a female character with strong portrayal is not a game does not mean that the game is not trying to treat people equally. You can't and often shouldn't make a character for everyone. That does not mean that the female player, or Russian Player, or hell let's say German Player since Nazi's are a common enemy, are being treated badly once they get there, they in fact are not.

Here let me give you a classic example. Nintendo makes kids games. Nintendo is for kids! Pokemon is kiddie! Heard any of these before? This is hot geek on geek debate right there. Happens all the time.

But is Nintendo treating it's older audience poorly just because they primarily aim their games at kids? Does the Nintendo game playing community keep older players out of "Their culture" because they are older, and it's meant for kids primarily?

No.

If the argument is about how people are treated in the geek culture when they are an "outsider" then there is no argument. There might have been one back in the day, but these days, you walk through the doors of Sakuracon, and you are a geek. You walk into a video game store, and you are a geek. You are greeted, you are helped if you need it, and they will help you find the things you want regardless of what you may or may not look like.

Because Geeks can be, and are anyone, Geeks don't try and outcast people.

The example of the Gay bar was the premise of the start of Bob's topic. Please, enlighten me, where have you ever gone, where any specific person was actually treated they was described in the Gay bar example in the "geek scene".

If truly we Geeks are treating people like outcasts, you could site some recent example where that happened on a scale that felt exclusionary.

Geeks may have at one time tried to exclude people from their culture, but I bet you people would be hard pressed to find that we are actually that exclusionary these days if at all.
So you didn't miss my point but you're being intentionally obtuse?
YES! Military shooters use muslims as bullet spunges, women are mostly used for titilation (mass effect, a game praised for it's characterization can't stop zooming in on miranda's ass), Call of Juarez: the Cartel has a mission where you shoot black gang members and you get an achievement for doing so. I call that wrong.

Yes, geek culture DOES consist mainly of straight white men. Do you think the whole 'fake geek girl' thing exists because girls really are faking their geekyness so they can get in your pants or maybe guys are just a little insecure about losing their popularity throne in the geek kingdom?

You claim that we aren't permitting or defending it, but in the same post you deny the problem exists! that's the definition of permitting it.

No, you shouldn't make a character for everyone, but yes, women, russians and germans ARE treated badly. you must not spend a lot of time on the internet. Are you honestly telling me you never heard anyone call a german player a nazi just because they're german? never heard a racial slur on xbox live?

As for your question on where people are treated badly, how about conventions? How about the internet? women are supposed to be either pretty and therefor eyecandy for the guys, or they're supposed to not be there, and god forbid someone cosplays as someone more attractive than them...
And how about those female writers who get insulted and threatened because they're women who wrote something for a videogame?

You are trying to deny a problem that very definitely DOES exist, which brings me back to my original point: you are certainly part of the problem.
Been to Sakuracon for 13 years straight. How about you take a large class of shutup because you thinking that is your own damn problem.

How about the fact that I have to deal with your shit right now because I dared to write something you disagree with? I might not be getting racial slurs, or sexist remarks, but I still have to deal with you thinking I'm wrong. But let's ignore that for a second, let's talk about the fact that in an online game where I dare to speak into the microphone and do even remotely poorly how I am called "gay" Man you a dude you must be gay.

I suppose I should just pass it off because of my privilege right? Getting told what sexual orientation they think I have with the intent of it being offensive.

Now let me ask you. Those games you speak about? Do you honestly expect me to believe their intent is to be offensive? I mean really consider that for a second.

And for all those things you just said, every single god damned one of them. You're telling me you have never heard people tell them that they were out of line? You are telling me they never got reported, temporary banned, or fully banned? Is that your idea of permitting it?!

You know those fake geek girl bullshit things was started by barely a god damned handful, and spread like a damned wildfire because it hit the internet like it was a freaking plague outbreak, when really it was barely a handful of assholes. How bout that?

I am not denying the problem exists, I am saying we are not to blame! We are doing everything we freaking can, because we can't change the whole damned world, and blaming a group of millions for the actions of a few is the very ideal of how stupid you are being.

I should not blame all germans for the actions of the Nazis and Hitler. They may have had huge numbers, but the germans were not the ones who committed wrong. Nor were they wrong because they couldn't stand up for it at the time but they did try. The did everything they could. They failed, but they tried!

I should not blame all Jews for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, because the many were not able to stop the few. They did what they could, that doesn't mean they are complacent and tolerant of it.

So you people need to quit telling the entire geek community, that because of the actions of a few we are all treating specific groups of other people badly. We are freaking doing what we can, when we can, we are not allowing it to happen just because it is there. And a women dressed sexy, is not women being treated badly, that a damned misnomer!

This is how bad your argument is. This is why you are so damned wrong
Getting a little worked up are we? yes, you do need to deal with people disagreeing with you, just like everyone else does. you don't seem to be doing it very well though.
First you say 'it doesn't happen', while it certainly does.
You being called gay is part of the same problem, that shouldn't happen either and you shouldn't pass it up. you have as much right to a welcoming environment as anybody else.

The point you're making is a completely different one, but no, I do not think these games are trying to be offensive. I think it's more a problem of lazy design and not knowing any better. In a way, this is even worse than being intentionally offensive. apparently these ideas are so ingrained in these developers that they don't even think about it. Seems to me like that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

I am not saying at all that there is nothing being done. I have seen people calling others out on being an ass (and usually being called a white knight for it like it's an insult) and I absolutely do appreciate that. keep up the good work. But you WERE saying that these things didn't happen and that's why I said you're permitting it.

As for your final points: you're right. we shouldn't equate individuals with groups. When people talk to 'the geek community' they're talking to all of it, not just you. When they say there is a problem that needs to be handled (and there is), there's a little footnote that reads 'we know not everyone in the community is part of this problem and those who are not are free to keep doing what they're doing.'
I'm not saying that these things always happen everywhere because they don't. I'm saying that every time it happens is one time too many and the problem won't be solved until it doesn't happen anymore (which probably means it'll never be solved) but that doesn't mean we should stop addressing it. If you really do call out people on their bad behavior, you are helping and I thank you for it, but in your earlier posts you denied that there was a problem and that's why I called you out on it.

Mar 3, 2009
I know that this is going to get me some flak if it's even seen, but if people want to talk about 'privilege' then people really need to stop trying to play victims every time they're told no. Privileges are not necessarily a bad thing; scary, I know.

There are very long and interesting discussions to be had about the dangers of safe spaces, starting with (to save time) Apartheid and ending with Echochambers/intellectual inbreeding - all good things to have out there and discussed, really - but let's look at the examples given.

A gay bar. A place (presumably) set up by gay men for the enjoyment of gay men in the company of other like-minded individuals. Some, who enjoys the place, knowingly decides to bring in people who do not fall into that demographic. Not for reasons of exposure or introduction...

One place I might call out something called Gay Male Privilege, though I wind up calling it 'I've met a lot of self-righteous pricks who think I can't not be attracted to them, but this is not a male-only thing.

...accepting and warning that there may be a stigma on them or warning that your presence in a place may reasonably be taken as a declaration of your preferences; but rather because he enjoyed the experience when he was there alone. He, and they, ignored the rules of the community and place (which he does not own or have say in its management, btw) and they were horribly treated by...

Getting watered down drinks and having to wait extra-long for those drinks. In short, having it made clear that they weren't welcome in a place not made for them. Oh, and overtly denying entry so they didn't waste their time at all was said to be worse.

In short: You are not welcome here, please leave.

Somehow, of course, 'We do not want people who are not gay men to be here' became 'Women exist to serve men.'

Um... no.

But let's roll with it. This is now a form of Male Privilege, fine.

Now, three guys knowingly walk into a lesbian bar and are told to leave or made to feel unwelcome.

Of course, now, this is proof that those women believe that men exist solely to serve women, yes?

Or is it Male Privilege for them to feel they had the right to walk in in the first place? Especially if the bar's intentions were made clear with a sign like 'Testosterone-free zone,' which I've seen.

In my experience, anyone who uses the word 'privilege' in that sense will give you the same answer. Usually based on 'well, they only went in there to...' and so on.

A call to remove this kind of 'privilege' is a call for an end to every demographic-based community. This includes all religion, all race/ethnicity-based group and all sex-based entry criteria. The oft-cited Curves coming to mind first.

Now, I like Curves. I think it's a great thing. It's a place catering to people/women who are uncomfortable or disheartened in gyms due to the extremely fit regulars (something I feel as well when I'm there) or feeling judged or compared to them by others, notably men. It's a place for women to feel comfortable in the company of like-minded individuals. Let them have that space, it's a good thing.

I know of very few people who say anything but good things about Curves and I've never heard any real public issues concerning it.

But a gay bar...

Not because of any moral issues with homosexuality, but because they didn't fully cater to someone outside their demographic; but defending similar the right of similar places to solely serve their preferred demographic is progressive and good.

Now, on the subject of 'women exist to serve men,' there are real things to point to. I may not always agree, but they're there as a discussion. Any place that exclusively hires women as servers and entertainers, but only allows male clientele is a fair place to point. There was a time when a lot of casinos would hire black entertainers and staff, but not allow black patrons. Before that, there was slavery and everything between the two. On sexism, there's places like strip clubs, topless steakhouses (still surprised that's a thing), hey, even why most of the cash-people at MacDonalds are young girls. On the last, people respond better to non-threatening, frankly cute, people; especially during a soft-sell (would you like fries with that?).

Yes, that's sexism, but it's also sexism that the guys are stuck in back on the grill. Not that I cared, I'm not a fan of the public. I like people, mind you, just not the public.

But let's move on. Urkel.

Let's see

whose central character arc over nine television seasons was aggressively pursuing the romantic attentions of an uninterested target in a manner that would red-flag him as stalker
Um... no? It's worth mentioning that this is a TV show and that joke was played for laughs in a time before the current geekdom had any real sway over the mainstream. Moreover, Steve put down that particular torch about halfway through the series, even if it was picked up again years later.

Even better, it was done after they wrote in a story where he got a taste of what he'd been doing to her and he backed off, turning it into a Aesop about precisely what was said to be bad thing and the character changed as a result. these are good things.

All that said, in the show, Steve's actions were the same for everyone. He was always just as forward, claimed the same moral highground and had the same personal space issues with everyone he spent time with. Most of that time, especially later, was spent with Carl. Why they put up with it was a question always answered by them going to him first whenever the family had issues, and he'd come through for them.

Laura cast as a villain for 'withholding sex' is also flatout wrong. When this was done, it was done because she would often take advantage of his affections to get him to do things for her. If she was a villain or a bully, it was because she was using sex to get him to do what she wanted, then pull back the carrot when she was done with him. Granted, this too came to a head and was changed after she browbeat him into driving her across the country due to something that was her mistake and, after his car broke down and he paid for a motel room, she ordered him to sleep in the bathtub.

The other, of course, was the forced moment whenever Steve would put himself out there or on the line to serve (and often enough protect) her and he hoped for a kiss or somesuch for what he'd done, the other Winslow-wide catchphrase came in: "Go home, Steve." And he would, though only in these moments would the counter not get used. "I don't have to take this, I'm going home."

Going past the whole issue of internet anonymity, which is related but separate, my experiences in Geekdom and conventions have always been inclusive, unless the community sees itself as under attack. Yes, there are always jerks, always elitists, but of both genders. Cosplayers of both genders will have their costumes judged harshly.

The argument of 'men aren't expected to be sexy like women are' is something I'll laugh in someone's face if they say. To any man who holds to that, I offer the following: If you have a less-than-ideal physique, dress up like the current big Bishie. Honestly, just mention in conversation with any female cosplayers that you plan to and watch what happens. Characters that are marketed on being sexy will have their costumes judged on whether they are or not, this is genderless. There are more famous female characters judged that way, no question. If that's the concern, I'd suggest that the Players look more to Shoujo animes than Shonen ones for their characters.

The Fake Gamer Girl thing still makes my eyes roll in the same way. Fake gamer guys exist, btw. We call them 'Uh huh... well, you're an idiot. Go away, I'm playing here." Similarly, with what little I know of Alan Moore, wearing an anything-Watchmen related costume near him is just asking for scorn.

At its worst, Geek Culture, if you want to use that term, is like any other. What was given here is mostly - not all but mostly - about a group of people who have put in a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears to build an identity and community, and just not being all that keen on changing or bestowing the good parts of being part of that community (or their gatherings) on people who are not otherwise a part of it, have not been through the bad parts, or are simply walking in and expecting those changes to be made for them and place be made for them within it.

In this case, in all my experience, places will be made for those who want to be a part of it and are willing to do the 'work' required to be part of the group. Often, as simple as actually being able to read a character sheet for things like D&D, or even asking to try and agreeing to follow the lead of someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm reminded of Firefly and the scene with Kaylee at the Shindig. I swear that was written by someone who's been a part of it. Call it sexism, but girls you can actually have a meaningful conversation with about something you love are rare and often precious as pearls.

Call it benevolent sexism if you want.

What's being presented, though, is the story of the Little Red Hen, except that the hen is being cast as the villain in this case and everyone else who was told to leave because they were only showing up for the free bread are victims. It's baker's privilege, don't you see that?

What 'privileges' the individual geek gets are based on them being harmless (if annoying) most of the time, but extremely useful, easily manipulated or coerced when you need them, and largely disposable when you're done.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
1066 said:
There's a lot there to respond to, but Bob tried to nip your whole first paragraph in the bud with his argument about how 'geeks didn't suffer enough for their grievances to count' bit. We can't draw comparisons between what geeks do and what other abused minority groups do because it would just be awful to seriously compare your negative experiences as a geek to the negative experiences of someone who suffered for being a certain race or sex or have a certain sexuality. Or so people would have me believe anyway.

As for your discussion of Urkle, there's no need for a more nuanced approach to this look at the work. Urkle's sexual advances were obviously wrong, falling between objectification and misogyny. On the other hand, him being used by her in turn, as if he were merely an object to perform whatever tasks she wished, isn't a big issue because there is no historical context of oppression for men and objectification that isn't sexual, doesn't count.

All devil's advocacy and sarcasm aside. Thanks for taking the time to write all that up.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Eamar said:
mecegirl said:
It's times like this when I wish there was an upvote system on the Escapist. Couldn't have put it better myself. I don't have experience of the race element, but you described my experience of being a teenage girl trying to get into geek culture perfectly.
I wish it had been different for you...But no, it's not an uncommon experience.

Darmani said:
Hmm Ya know I never here this part. I guess I was wrong about the demands of women "just" showing up.
There have always been female geeks...I don't even know why anyone would assume otherwise. I'm only 28 and back during the time that I was speaking of there were women and girls that I interacted with that were older than me. Or take some of the female contributors to the articles and videos of this site. What exactly do you think they have been doing this whole time? Waiting for the 2000's to pop up so that they could join the club? It's just becoming more socially accepted for women to be geeks. So more women feel comfortable being overt about it. I find it odd to hear men who are around my age talk about the women just showing up. I'd expect that sort of talk from some random 50 year old dude. But dudes in their teens, twenties, and thirties are spouting such nonsense. And it's like, they are all technically new to the scene too, and yet they are treating their year mates like the outsiders.

Darmani said:
If any I still feel put out that it seems all social justice begins and ends with a cry of offense and then expected obedience to the offended princess.
There is no offended princess, there is another person who deserves respect. What exactally do you think would happen if the "social justice" people won? You act like it would be a bad thing if people stopped being unnecessarily shitty to each other.

Darmani said:
If it means anything I don't resent most gamer girls or girl geeks I meet. I have been known to mistreat them but mainly because I seem unable to tune "I am asking a request" as being something they are actually asking or truly demanding.
Also the social scene in geek spaces increases with female participation but that just means there is more social dynamics, add in the apprehension/fear you get ... well secrets and drama. Surely you noted *that* on fanfiction,net and livejournal
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. We all come to sites like these for the same reason, to talk to people who share the hobbies we enjoy and to keep up with news relating to our hobbies. But If anyone feels the need to change the dynamic because of the genders involved they need to change their thinking. There doesn't need to be secrets and drama just because of the genders involved. Debating the merits of a game, show, or book creates more than enough. So while there was an occasion hick up race wise for me in those spaces, there wasn't much secrets and drama going on.