One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.
The crash of 1983, the mini-crash of 1995 (3DO, Jaguar, CD-i, TurboGrafx), Gizmondo, The N-Gage... the list goes on, and this thing with Sony really is a drop in the bucket. Also, I'm told XBox Live went down for 2 weeks a few years ago.

As for the future, Sony's almost invincible. The last successful console they made was the PS2. The PS3 has the smallest market share of all the consoles out today, the PSP was trumped by Nintendogs, and don't get me started on the PSPGo. Sony is now where Microsoft was with the original XBox: failing, but with enough success in other areas to keep themselves afloat.

Nothing is invincible.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I'm not switching. I like the PS3 and I think that once the dust settles, things will get back to normal. Besides, I'm looking forward to the make nice gift that Sony should be shelling out by the millions. XD

VicunaBlue

Feb 8, 2009
Jonci said:
One of us! One of us!
Gooble-Gobble, Gooble-gobble

Can't believe no one else did that.

Anyways, yeah the ps3 network glitch is really, annoying. I miss online play.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The absolute only reason I still own a PS3 is for Ratchet and Clank. If it wasn't for that then I'd have bought a 360 a long time ago.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
I know im prolly going to get a suspension from this but.
To o0o0WestSide0o0o 2-3 pages before me.
umadbro? yeah umad. usomad u turned into madjelly

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
Virtua Boy?

I never wanted a Virtua Boy but I'm looking forward to 3DS midway through the rest of this year.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Riku said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.
Although I do agree with most of your points, this quote is wrong.
Once in 11 years? Try more like Once in 5 years.

The PS1 was hacked, the PS2 was hacked (albeit both were via 'chipping') and now the PS3 has been hacked to the most severe method, the internet aspect which is hurting the gamers, their userbase.

Honestly you don't see the Wii and the 360 being hacked to this method, why? Because their infrastructure is probably a lot more secure than the PS3's (although I'm not saying the PS3's was bad, as per your point we don't really know how good it actually was, but clearly Xbox and Wii's are more secure, otherwise this would have happened to them before now)
I don't think an offcal statement of HOW it was acked has come through yet there's been specuation about rebug, but that's firmware, and I don't think t woud have run through a PS3, nor do you need a PS3 to hack into the PSN. I know the consoles have been hacked, but their network never has. I know people are getting freaked out over it, but there's a first time for everything and leaving your credit card information ANYWHERE online entails risks. We don't know how many layers SONY had, or how much security. We know that soeone chose the PSN as a target and hit it.

Until SONY releases info to I.C.O about exactly what happened, it's all speculation

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
I'd say this poll is as reliable as any poll concerning the popularity of Republican candidates for the next elections.

See as: not reliable at all.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Jonci said:
One of us! One of us!
sorry needed to link that its kind of like OCD for me.

Anyway I am just going to buy a new 360. I have been meaning to but not really needed to since my brother got a PS3 for christmas but now I have a better reason to so um yeah.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Meanwhile, in Microsoft headquarters:

Peon: "Sir, it's working... looks like we've managed to kill off a fifth the the PS3 owners."
Bill Gates: "Excellent, minion-slave! Glory to the victor... MUHAHAHAHAHA"

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
matsugawa said:
grimner said:
...What happened sucks, it really does. But at the end of the day, it could easily happen to microsoft as well...
THANK YOU!
It did happen to Microsoft a few years ago, only it wasn't so bad, but it wasn't caused by an outside intrusion either. It did last a few weeks, however. With the attention span of the internet today, everyone forgot about it.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
HankMan said:
Master Chief
http://s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-80/post-77480-1218891739_thumb.jpg
WANTS YOU
To buy an Xbox 360
NEVER!!!!!.... Oh wait, I already have one.... Hmmm. Touche.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I worry about the negative impact this might have on gaming and the gaming industry as a whole. Things that grow the industry = good, things that damage the industry = bad for all of us.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
and what good will it do to change now?
it's more likely that xbl is next than the psn again^^

i still like my ps3 and couldn't care less about this situation
but somehow i doubt that there will be as much financial damage
i mean can you really sue sony for this?
it's like lending your best friend your DS and his house gets robbed so you are suing him for your lost DS... sounds crazy

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
lomylithruldor said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.
Yeah, because the engineers that work on fixing the PSN are also the lawyers that will defend sony in court.
A company wth two massive projects in adtion to its regular tasks still runs slower than a comapny oriented on one project. The people on top stll make the decisions, they still need to read the report, focus on how the engineers are gettng this fixed. Now that mght be an addition task on them that they normally don't do, sucking up time. Then they have to take this informatin to the investigators to try and fnd ths guy, plus cooperate wth them. Takes more time. Then they need to address all these governments attacking them and talk to them about fndings and future preventatve measures. More time taken for planning the future measures and discussing them. THEN they have these idiots suing them.

If that doesn't sound like much to you, then I don't know what you thnk a full day's work is. With a break this big, the heads of SONY arent going to tell their lawyers and engnieers "Go nuts" they'd be stupid to, they are going to monitor thsi and make sure they don't fuck up again. Now you only have so many hours a day to do all this and people want results NOW. So yeah, it's gonna slow things down a bit when you look at the big picture.

Look beyond the two dfferent departments of the coapny, and look at it as a whole.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I had a 360 once, sold it for a PS3 because I don't like FPS's, and that's pretty much all 360 has for exclusives. This incident is a bummer, but it's no reason to jump ship.
The thing is that Sony has had most of these exclusives since the PS1 its like Nintendo and their exclusives of Mario, Link, Metroid and the others. It sucks that Microsoft got into the game when Shooters were the thing and thats why they got those as exclusives I would really like to see something that wasn't an Shooter for the 360 but we aren't going to see one of those for a while.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, that's one way to get the fanboys crawling out of the woodwork.

odd function

Jul 11, 2010
Awexsome said:
thebobmaster said:
Awexsome said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Awexsome said:
Well good job Geohotz.

By giving others the capability to break the law you've succeeded in hurting a major corporation. Go burn in hell.

Perhaps Sony could've done better but that doesn't exempt him of what he did. He let this happen with his innocent little, "Oh I can't control what people do with it." Fuck you. Fuck you Geo and die.
You do realise he only messed with the hardware right? I'm no expert with these things, but I'm pretty sure he didn't anything that could help people hack PSN.
He messed with the hardware and released the code to give people full access on how to mod their PS3s. From an old news report people could mod their consoles into giving them priveledges they shouldn't have that would only be reserved for developers and Sony themselves.

His fault.
So, information on how to mod a console=ability to hack into PSN and steal identities? Shit...better stop playing KOTOR over Steam. After all, that game has been modded, so a hacker could use the game to access my account information on Steam!
Yes, the ability to mod the console into faking a high level of authority equals that. Simple. The thing that's up for debate is how secure that data was after the code was made available. But after running the PSN with little to no issues for years it seems Sony wasn't fast enough to adapt to it.

All stemming from Geo releasing the code in the first place.

PSNers should be sueing him not Sony.
So all you guys blaming GeoHot agree that Sony PSN was put together by a bunch of incompetents? Because that is clearly what you believe.

Think about what you are saying:

1) PSN security depended almost entirely on the security of the consoles.

2) Sony sold these to millions of people without any restrictions, not even a driver's license let alone a background check to make sure nobody buying the console is interested in hacking.

If these are true than Sony failed security 101 in a big way. Honestly, I think that your corporate loyalty has blinded you to reality. It is my duty to remind you that those Sony brand dildos don't actually love you back.