Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
mintfresh said:
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Don't see the problem, parents should be able to limit what their kids see.
Well, then kids shouldn't be let outside, because whenever I walk down the street, I see promotions for violent movies/games/tv-shows/music or promotions for fashion/tv-shows/movies/music that appeal to sex, not to mention the commersials/shows that are on TV.
Or the news. Damn, the NEWS! Children shouldn't be allowed to watch the news.
Or read the news.
Or actually, go to school. Then you have to interact with other people, and they might you know, share information.

Edit: And more OT..What do these moms mean when they say "children shouldn't be bothered with what is hard to understand."? How hard IS it?
How about "Hey, some men love men, and some women love women, and they can get married too. It's about love."? Seems pretty simple to me.
I didn't say sheltered, just that parents should be able to control what subjects toy stores expose children to.
Then parents can vote with their wallets and go somewhere else?
If Toys R Us released a new GI-Joe action-figure, why should we allow that? Should parents have a say too? How about an easy-bake oven? Should parents have a say there?

No? Because these things aren't "offensive"? Well, neither is homosexuality.
wrong, some people find homosexual marriage "offensive" when comparing it to heterosexual marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else.
Yes, they have the right to voice their opinion just as much as everyone else. As much as EVERYONE else. Meaning that if you want to censor these guys by pulling their comic from the shelves, then everyone can censor their homophobic bigotry spouting hides. As for your 'right' to express your opinions on homosexual marriage and to find it "offensive"? Well here's a newsflash, the pro-homosexual side of the argument aren't doing anything to you, and they're not saying YOUR lifestyle is wrong. You're the ones butting your noses into something that doesn't affect you. Homosexual marriage has a direct effect only on the people involved, and THAT is why THEIR opinion is more important and valid on the subject than YOURS.
Please go and read comment #162

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rainboq said:
Volf said:
wrong, some people find homosexual marriage "offensive" when comparing it to heterosexual marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else.
Okay, I'll bite, why do they find it offensive, and why should we even listen to them?
Go bite on comment #162

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Kamehapa said:
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Well, then kids shouldn't be let outside, because whenever I walk down the street, I see promotions for violent movies/games/tv-shows/music or promotions for fashion/tv-shows/movies/music that appeal to sex, not to mention the commersials/shows that are on TV.
Or read the news.
Or actually, go to school. Then you have to interact with other people, and they might you know, share information.

Edit: And more OT..What do these moms mean when they say "children shouldn't be bothered with what is hard to understand."? How hard IS it?
How about "Hey, some men love men, and some women love women, and they can get married too. It's about love."? Seems pretty simple to me.
I didn't say sheltered, just that parents should be able to control what subjects toy stores expose children to.
Then parents can vote with their wallets and go somewhere else?
If Toys R Us released a new GI-Joe action-figure, why should we allow that? Should parents have a say too? How about an easy-bake oven? Should parents have a say there?

No? Because these things aren't "offensive"? Well, neither is homosexuality.
Lets take this back a couple decades with your last statement.

"wrong, some people find biracial marriage "offensive" when comparing it to normal marriage, they have a right to voice their opinion just as much as anybody else."

Freedom of speech =/= freedom to be a bigot.
Please look at comment #162

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
Lazy activism protip. Hope over to the Million Moms "current issues" page. They have to the option to complain to Toys 'R Us. Delete the boilerplate shit they fill it in with and tell Toys 'R Us to keep the same sex issue.

"Hey guys just wanted to I've heard you guys are taking a bit of flak for the the whole Same Sex Marriage Archie thing. I just wanted to say stick with your guns and don't let the crazy Million Mom people sway either your business model or your ethics. You earn at least one high five and my continued business if you don't let these people seem like they are anything more than the bigoted minority they really are." is what I put.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Somehow, I doubt that they actually have a million moms. But I guess it sound more impressive than "Six or Seven People with Too Much Time on their Hands".

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
To be fair...

Why is it being sold at selected toys 'r' us?

Like, really? It's not a toy, it's target consumer isn't kids (Or anybody, really, I don't think anyone reads archie anymore), which is the target consumer for toys r us.

It makes no sense.

And they had to have seen this coming...

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I still think One Million Moms is great name for some garage post-punk/grindcore band. It could even be with songs for the kids out there!

As much as I'd like to add some substance to the post relevant to the topic. I really can't. Bigotry is not worth commenting and we should just let it die in a similar fashion dinosaurs died (well..maybe without huge meteor colliding with earth...)

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
Alternate title for the article: "One Million Moms Have Child Protective Services Called On Them For Raising Their Children In A Household Built on Intolerance And Bigotry - All Children Go To Married Gay Couples." ^_^

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
One petition makes you bigger
and the other makes you small
and the one your mother sent you
don't do anything at all
jurnag12 said:
This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand.
*ahem*
They love each other. So they married.
This isn't rocket science, lady. What did you tell your kids when they saw your wedding pictures? Same story.
The only reason this would be a complicated topic would be if you specifically raised your kid to see same-sex marriage as something entirely different from a straight marriage, at which point the fault lies with you for being a narrow-minded bigot.
Also props to Goldwater for standing by his product.
I'm not sure she was talking about the children.
If the news is to be believed, "Acceptance" is a topic that seems too complicated for a lot of parents to understand.
That reminds me of the time some girl from a Westboro Baptist Church family questioned her family's belief and got kicked out for doing so.
Realitycrash said:
Volf said:
Or read the news.

Why don't they just send their kids to North Korea? I hear the government does a pretty good job hiding information about the rest of the world from the people there.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
nikki191 said:
personally i think the should be protesting about the poor education of american students. when 65% or so cant pass a basic reading and writing test they sure arent going to be reading a comic
Who said nuthin' 'bout reading? I buy 'em for the purdy pi'tures.
OT: Get back to me when the name of the group is an understatement. Even if a million people had a problem with it, they'd still be far and away in the minority.
Kitsuna10060 said:
OT: i see, 'group of back wards moron ***** about the passage of time, and how civilization on the whole is leaving they're archaic belief structure behind, and no one cares' pretty much sums it up i think
I find it funny that if they truly were using an archaic belief structure, homosexuality would be encouraged.
Kids in my elementary school made me see lemonparty.org. An Archie comic with a gay guy doesn't even register on the radar of what's wrong with this world.
Volf said:
yes it does mean that their not wrong, because their opinion is just as valid as anybody else.
I am of the opinion that the world is flat. You must accept my opinion as valid, because I have that opinion. Never mind overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary, and historical precedence.

PS: You know what else was funny in recent Archie history? The Archie gets married cover. People thought it was supporting polygamy. Turns out it was just to leave the choice ambiguous. From there is split into two comics featuring a monogamous relationship with each of them.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
One petition makes you bigger
and the other makes you small
and the one your mother sent you
don't do anything at all
jurnag12 said:
This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand.
*ahem*
They love each other. So they married.
This isn't rocket science, lady. What did you tell your kids when they saw your wedding pictures? Same story.
The only reason this would be a complicated topic would be if you specifically raised your kid to see same-sex marriage as something entirely different from a straight marriage, at which point the fault lies with you for being a narrow-minded bigot.
Also props to Goldwater for standing by his product.
I'm not sure she was talking about the children.
If the news is to be believed, "Acceptance" is a topic that seems too complicated for a lot of parents to understand.
depends on how close minded you are for example some people are cool with the idea of people being gay and others hide behind their religion or call it "unnatural" if you raise your kid into being open minded stuff like this is easy to explain.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Wait, shouldn't little children learn about this earlier on? So they can begin to understand and not discriminate against gays, lesbians, etc? I don't see any problem whatsoever with this comic, there are much worse in toy stores.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Otaku World Order said:
Seriously, just because you want to live in your own little June Cleaver fantasy bubble of a 1950's that never existed where there were no gays or minorities, fine, but stop acting like you have the right to force your narrow-minded bitchiness on the rest of us.
A better question is what the hell is wrong with you? Your post is more judgemental and intolerant than anything quoted from this organization.

This board is rife with individuals who are the first to jump on the parents when some video game child goes awry and acts like a crazy person. The first and most prevalent comment is "where were the parents? Why don't they do a better job?"

And here you have a group of mothers, whose apparent concern is fundamentally not about homosexual relationships, but rather the time and manner in which their kids are educated about such relationships. Ie their concern is not about gays, it's about raising thier kids in the manner they see fit. And there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

Why is a parent who doesn't want to expose their kids to sex and violence treated any differently than a parent who doesn't want to expose their kids to the concept of homosexuality?
Actually, it was a pretty accurate comment. One Million Moms has a history with this stuff.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
For once I actually kind of get their logic.
For once it's not "Gays are Evil" but a more understandable "Think of the children!"

Still, it's never too early to introduce the concepts to your children and give them some goddamn free will and think of it what they like. There's really no exact age this can be done and what parents don't get, it probably won't turn your kids into sexual deviants.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
It is plain unfortunate that this organisation so underestimates the ability of children to understand. Perhaps the reason that they do not understand gay marriage is because the parents are too lazy or too scared of the topic to explain it with them before they are exposed to it.

Marriage is a normal part of human life, it's not hard to explain that in certain areas, couples of the same gender can as well. The problem is not children being exposed to smut - this is not smut - it's that they're not exposed to unbiased information about marriage and what the institution now is in many places.

I think that these "one million moms" could be doing something more productive, like saving the earth from pollution, or if they're too conservative for that (sounds like it) maybe work on saving the children who don't have homes, food, and/or proper medical treatment.

Get your priorities straight. People are dying in front of you and far away and you waste time on issues this non-essential. Is it really more important because it's in your face, or is that your selfishness talking?

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
One thing. What else is interesting about Kevin Keller? has he done anything funny in his stories? Kind of like Chuck Clayton being a cartoonist as well as an athlete other than being well, black. I'm just checking that he's not a token or anything that's all.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Kwil said:
Aw man.. disappointing.
I can't be the only one who read "same-sex Archie comic" and thought we were getting treated to some Betty and Veronica action...
Ronnie? Nah, she collects men, and Betty is totally Archie's perfect match. Now Cricket and Midge, that's a whole nother story.

Archie was the only comics I read as a kid because they were so accessible that I didn't need to find a comic book store and ask my parents for comics, my mom just brought one everytime she went to the supermarket.

JediMB said:
Andy Chalk said:
"This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions they are too dumb or prejudiced to answer properly."
Fixed.

And if the kids are too young to be exposed to same-sex marriage, then they're certainly too young for all other forms as well. Time to remove all the Barbies in wedding dresses and such.

Also, I'd like to plug a related short EGS Comics story [http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2012-02-13] that is about to reach its conclusion:

[http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2012-02-17]

(Don't worry. Non-magnet explanation follows.)
Oh my god, you just won all the Internets from me. I have never met anyone else who read the fantastic gender-bending webcomic that is El goonish shive. Seriously, I have to say that that webcomic is the reason I became comfortable with transgender individuals and started really getting what it means for someone. But then he kinda stopped updating for a long time. I see this is recent, so I'm assuming its back on a regular schedule?