One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fleetfiend said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
Thank you. I hate when people call other players "noobs" like it was an insult. Honestly, why would you want to discourage someone new from starting the game? That's just stupid. Particularly in MMOs.
Though it would be nice to be rid of it, I have made my peace with "noob". No, there's an insult that's much more irritating.

"Tryhard". If you lose, you're shit at the game, and are, apparently, a noob. If you win, you're trying too hard, or something. Okay... what do you want me to do? Watch my screen through a mirror and hold the controller upside down so you can feel better about yourself?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I just hate words in general, I need the internets to be voice acted like right now!

I'm only adding silliness to this thread because you are all being extremely silly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zantos said:
I hate people using linear as an insult to a game. Saying that a game is bad because it's linear is like saying Pulp Fiction is bad because it's not an animated family comedy.
I think its been confused with "having the living shit scripted out of it".

OT: For me its the phrase: "Company X betrayed me." Shut up.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
You're talking about newb. Refer to the following link for more info'mation.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20060823

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
Got 2 here: the use of "noob" as an insult, and the ALT+F4 "joke".

If you're unsure about something within a game, even if it's something basic, it shouldn't hurt to ask for help, and it damn sure won't hurt to help out someone else.

And this is where ALT+F4 comes in. I mean, is it such an inconvenience to help someone out that you have to essentially tell them to "buzz off and leave the rest of us alone"?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Boycott".

Ok, fine games creators go with what makes money, vote with your wallet etc.

But people don't use it to mean "I don't like the look of this, so I won't buy it", they use it to mean "I'm not buying this until I forgot I'm supposed to be angry in a week or two".

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Fleetfiend said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Thank you. I hate when people call other players "noobs" like it was an insult. Honestly, why would you want to discourage someone new from starting the game? That's just stupid. Particularly in MMOs.
Though that's more "newb" for a new person to a game who hasn't got the hang of how things work yet. "n00bs" are people who never get the hang of how the game plays, and continue to play like "newbs" despite knowing the game. People who don't capture flags (or the equivalent), people who don't play to their class (medics not healing, snipers not sniping), or those who show no aptitude to a game. The insult gets banded about a lot so it isn't always used in context.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
immersion
Matthew94 said:
Zantos said:
BathorysGraveland said:
Vault101 said:
krazykidd said:
Unoriginal
Halo Fanboy said:
Weentastic said:
ResonanceSD said:
synulia said:
nbamaniac said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BrionJames said:
I hate to break it to all you gamers, but I am entitled to say Skyrim is not a hardcore game. Also, it is an unoriginal game with a lot of rehash. I might even prefer a linear indie game if it means the game has some immersion and is not as brown as Skyrim, like for example Bastion. What takes the cake though is the arrow in the knee joke. Only noobs still joke about that.

Bazinga!

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Ep*c. Fuck, just so overused. EVERYWHERE! "This generic jewel encrusted sword looks e***." "This washing machine is e***." "This piece of grass is e***!" "This piece of shit looks like abraham lincoln.. E***!" "This Hello Kitty sex toy is e***!". That word needs to go out of people's minds and into a time-capsule to be re-released in 100 years. By then hopefully we will have enough descriptive power to describe the lesser things in life that are spectacular but not quite at that level well enough that the word can be used for what it is.

Feb 13, 2008
4RM3D said:
I hate to break it to all you gamers, but I am entitled to say Skyrim is not a hardcore game. Also, it is an unoriginal game with a lot of rehash. I might even prefer a linear indie game if it means the game has some immersion and is not as brown as Skyrim, like for example Bastion. What takes the cake though is the arrow in the knee joke. Only noobs still joke about that.

Bazinga!
Bazinga is a pretty awful word as well.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
"Realistic".

Sorry, but that's just a no-go. Or do you want to be locked out of playing MW3 for half a year cause your character is recuperating after getting shot? I mean that's what usually happens when you get shot, rushed to hospital and lots of time for recovery.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Memoriae said:
OhJohnNo said:
krazykidd said:
Unoriginal .

Sick and tired of people complaining that developpers are not doing anything new , but when they do no one buys ot or the look down on ot . Bunch of hypocrites i say.
Agreed. Apparently, everyone on the Escapist thinks that every game in a series should change itself completely from the last and be almost unrecognisable. So, naturally, when a sequel does change from the last instalment even slightly, they complain in droves and proclaim it to be the worst game ever for "betraying its fans".
Quite.

I'll take Dragon Age Origins, and DA2 as a perfect example. DA:O had a significant enough number of people complaining that the tactical side of the game was too heavy. Ordering around an entire party, micromanaging everything? Far too heavy apparently.

It was then changed to a more action-orientated system, and people complained that it was too easy in comparison to DA:O. WELL OF COURSE IT'S FUCKING EASY, YOU WERE WHINGING THAT DA:O WAS TOO HARD!

Anyhoo, more on topic... I'd probably have to go with linear as well.
To be fair to it, just about every game that is created is linear. Even when you look at something like FFXIII vs FFVII. FFVII was actually very linear until about half way through disc 2, it's just you had the illusion of free will. Take going from Midgar to Nibelheim. You had to go to Kalm. You had to go to the Chocobo Farm. You had to go to Juno. Yes, the Falcon was an optional part.
You had to go to Costa Del Sol, and you had to speak to Hojo. You had to complete the Golden Saucer lock-in. You had to go via Cosmo... etc etc etc.

FFXIII was verbose with the linearity, as you physically had corridors, instead of a map.

Story telling cannot be done without linearity. Look at Skyrim. You can spend hundreds of hours fucking about, and not get a single bit of the storyline done. That's bad if you want to get a narrative over.

Basically, you either have non-linearity, or you have deep narrative. You can't have both.
Mass Effect decided to give more of an option and give three different ways of telling the story depending on the player.
Don't know of any other developer who allows that kind of choice.

But wait.

Now they're catering to the CoD crowd. Oh, Bioware, why hast thou forsaken me?
It's irritating. If you spend an hour in menus in a game, something's clearly wrong. So a developer streamlines that part of the game.
Oh look. Now you've dumbed it down for consoles.

Game's too open world? Spending a lot of time trying to work out what you're supposed to be doing, rather than what you're actually doing? Well, dear player, I, as the developer, will fix this in the sequel, and limit the amount of freedom you have to give some sense of direction.

DUMBED IT DOWN FOR CASUAL GAMERS!

A sequel may only add characters, weapons, locations and a new story. If that gameplay changes, even slightly, you'll be dumbing things down for console players.
Hell, look at the Bungie.net forums for Halo: Reach. As a Halo fan, I can't see too much difference between the core gameplay of Halo 3 and Halo: Reach.
Somehow, people decided to complain about BLOOM, of all things. BLOOM! And 343 Industries, the pile of dick that they are, decide to lump all the DLC maps in with the Anniversary playlist, so those of us that bought the DLC, but don't want to spend £30 on Halo frickin' Combat Evolved are shit out of luck.
Does the fanbase complain about that? Nope. Combat Evolved is a classic, and people will happily buy the same game twice if it means they can show off their personal trophy game to everybody else.

fleurdust

Jul 14, 2011
thenumberthirteen said:
Fleetfiend said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Though that's more "newb" for a new person to a game who hasn't got the hang of how things work yet. "n00bs" are people who never get the hang of how the game plays, and continue to play like "newbs" despite knowing the game. People who don't capture flags (or the equivalent), people who don't play to their class (medics not healing, snipers not sniping), or those who show no aptitude to a game. The insult gets banded about a lot so it isn't always used in context.
I think it's the non-contextual use that gets me, and when people have no idea whether the people they're playing with are actually new to the game. I've noticed it most in WoW where everyone takes BGs and stuff so seriously, all they will do is call everyone noobs without bothering to actually say what the aim is. As someone who was new quite recently, this just seems silly. Chances are there ARE some new people there and they don't know what they're doing, just a simple 'go to that base' or whatever would help rather than yelling about what noobs they are.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
thaluikhain said:
"Boycott".

Ok, fine games creators go with what makes money, vote with your wallet etc.

But people don't use it to mean "I don't like the look of this, so I won't buy it", they use it to mean "I'm not buying this until I forgot I'm supposed to be angry in a week or two".
Oh god.

Boycott.

/thread right there.

Especially with those fuckwits who say "I'm boycotting it, but if someone I know buys it, then I might use it."

NO, YOU'RE NOT. YOU'RE BOYCOTTING IT, THEREFORE, YOU'RE NOT PURCHASING, USING, OR ADVOCATING THE FUCKING THING.

I think I need to go lie down before my head explodes...

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
[HEADING=1]Fanboy[/HEADING]
I can't fucking stand the word fanboy in any context. I even made a f***ing thread about it.
Search for it up top and you'll know what I mean. Worst word going, for me.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I don't like it when people use linearity to insult a game. Most of my favorite games have been as linear as a game can be. Linearity is great for telling a story.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Daggedawg said:
On topic, I would like it if people stopped calling everything "epic." (Though that rend seems to be dying out by now.) Yes, some games might be "epic2 in many ways, but usually, this word is used in cases where it simply doesn't fit.
I once heard a guy find a plastic spade. You know, the kind for first graders. "EPIC!" he proclaimed, proudly, not realising his own ignorance.

So yeah. I'd love if people would stop degrading that word. A fucking plastic spade isn't epic.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
4RM3D said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
immersion
Matthew94 said:
Zantos said:
BathorysGraveland said:
Vault101 said:
krazykidd said:
Unoriginal
Halo Fanboy said:
Weentastic said:
ResonanceSD said:
synulia said:
nbamaniac said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BrionJames said:

Bazinga!
Uh I also hate hearing "The_Blue_Rider is the sexiest Escapist member to ever join the website" in that particular order..