One word I never want to hear from anyone in the gaming community again.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I hate it when people say pro-tip, it's pretentious and often followed by incorrect advice.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You guys ninjad' all of my words. I despise ALL of these!

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I expected "Epic".

People don't even use it in the right context anymore. It has virtually lost all impact and has been degraded into a general buzz word.

But no, I support the term rehash. I have yet to play a genuinely inspired and original game that wasn't released by an indie developer for a ridiculously long period of time. You'd think with all the leaps in technology, physics and the like, we'd be playing more than just a prettier version of the same game we've played 10 years ago.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.

itsmeyouidiot said:
"Rehash."

99% of the time it's used, it's by a person who is deliberately looking for flaws in a game.

I tend to instantly lose any and all respect for people who use this word, because they're always using it in a way that makes it clear that they're trying to find flaws in a game where none exist.

Who here feels the same way?
But rehashing is a bad thing. For instance, from what I've heard the later CoD: MW games are just rehashes of the first MW.

re·hash (r-hsh)
tr.v. re·hashed, re·hash·ing, re·hash·es
1. To bring forth again in another form without significant alteration: rehashing old ideas.

I think you're the one that just can't cope with the fact that sometimes use rehash because that's all they need in order to criticize a game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Daggedawg said:
lacktheknack said:
OT: "Snuggie". Everything about the word makes me seethe, and I don't want anyone in the gaming community using it.
"Snuggie?" Never heard that before. What does it mean?
It's a sleeved blanket.

It's completely irrelevant to gaming. :p

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I don't much mind the usage of the word "hardcore". It did bug me before, but on the day that I convinced my dad to play a game of Left4Dead split-screen co-op with me, I definitely realized the difference between hardcore and casual gamers.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
"Noob" and "Fag" Because that's all i get called on xbox live. Because i beat someone, "I am a noob, and a fag."
Seriously people. Cut it out. Normally being insulted becuase i'm beating someone amuses me, but I've got bored of people using it. Think of somthing new. not that hard.

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
4RM3D said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
immersion
Matthew94 said:
Zantos said:
BathorysGraveland said:
Vault101 said:
krazykidd said:
Unoriginal
Halo Fanboy said:
Weentastic said:
ResonanceSD said:
synulia said:
nbamaniac said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BrionJames said:
I hate to break it to all you gamers, but I am entitled to say Skyrim is not a hardcore game. Also, it is an unoriginal game with a lot of rehash. I might even prefer a linear indie game if it means the game has some immersion and is not as brown as Skyrim, like for example Bastion. What takes the cake though is the arrow in the knee joke. Only noobs still joke about that.

Bazinga!
Good sir, you win ALL the internets.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Unoriginal.

Just shut up. Shut the fuck up. If a game is good, it's good. Doesn't matter if it's not 100% original.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Innovation, immersion, hardcore, casual. These terms have nebulous, at best, definitions and people use them whilly nilly without even trying to define what they mean leading to misunderstandings and bad things.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Daggedawg said:
lacktheknack said:
OT: "Snuggie". Everything about the word makes me seethe, and I don't want anyone in the gaming community using it.
"Snuggie?" Never heard that before. What does it mean?
It's a sleeved blanket.

It's completely irrelevant to gaming. :p
Well, not completely irrelevant. In fact, one of its best uses is gaming when it's cold inside; the sleeves let you hold a controller or use a mouse and keyboard while otherwise being wrapped from head to toe. You'd think a robe would work just as well for that, but snuggies are a good six or seven feet long, while robes tend to stop somewhere between your ankles and your shins.

kiri2tsubasa said:
If I had to go with something (sorry it is a series of words) then it would be 'I want multipayer/co-op in (game that is known for being single player) or I can't enjoy it'. That just grinds my gears. People have been whining about wanting multiplayer/co-op in Mass Effect since before the first game was released back in 2007, now they get it in ME3 and complain. Seriously, the developers are responding to WHAT THE CONSUMERS ARE ASKING FOR.

So I guess the words I can't stand (context dependent) are multiplayer/co-op.
The reverse is also true; people complaining about the bonus single player content in a traditionally multiplayer series. If you're still buying CoD exclusively for the single player this late in the game, it's your fault, not the developers'. It's even worse when games that usually don't have single player at all, and are made by devs with little experience making campaigns, are pressured into including one because of that vocal minority. It's like complaining that Star Trek doesn't have lightsabers; no duh, go watch Star Wars if you want that.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Fleetfiend said:
BathorysGraveland said:
"Noob/Nub".

Seriously, the lamest fucking 'insult' ever imaginable. Hypocritical as well, seeing as we were all new to each game at one point.
Thank you. I hate when people call other players "noobs" like it was an insult. Honestly, why would you want to discourage someone new from starting the game? That's just stupid. Particularly in MMOs.
I only ever use noob when it's a player that thinks they're better than everyone else and yet they lag somewhere in the mid-section or bottom of the scoreboards at the end. Kinda thought that was the whole point of "noob," when someone was being a total moron because they thought their way was the best way and refused to use teamwork or take advice.

Or, y'know, the people who openly use mods and hacks.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yeah, I'm definitely agreeing with rehash and all it's synonyms.

Were we complaining when the first 6 Mega Man games came out? Hell no, because they were (mostly) good games. We've had three MW games and people are going "ZOMG TEH FORMULA IS SO STALE NO ONE CAN EVER MAKE A SEQUEL OR MAKE ANY GAME THAT USES ANY IDEA FROM ANOTHER GAME".

Listen, people. Look at it from the publisher/developer point of view.

Let's say you write "I grow watermelons in Yugoslavia", give it to a group of random people, and they enjoy enough to give you $500. Then you write "I grow carrots in Djibouti", do the same, and they give you $100. What the hell do you think you'll keep writing?

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
BrionJames said:
You know what word I'm sick of, gamer. That word didn't use to exist to describe anything. Period. It's a stupid label that the media has created so that they can try to appeal to the folks who play video games. I like video games, I like going to the arcade, I like table top games, but I am not a gamer.
I agree. Although I do think the origin of the word gamer lies with gaming enthusiasts themselves rather than the media.

It probably stems from the time games where most adults, aside from the aforementioned enthusiasts, wouldn't dare to admit playing video games. By now however, most people play video games in some form or another, so the term gamer has become pretty meaningless.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Aardvark Soup said:
BrionJames said:
You know what word I'm sick of, gamer. That word didn't use to exist to describe anything. Period. It's a stupid label that the media has created so that they can try to appeal to the folks who play video games. I like video games, I like going to the arcade, I like table top games, but I am not a gamer.
I agree. Although I do think the origin of the word gamer lies with gaming enthusiasts themselves rather than the media.

It probably stems from the time games where most adults, aside from the aforementioned enthusiasts, wouldn't dare to admit playing video games. By now however, most people play video games in some form or another, so the term gamer has become pretty meaningless.
Actually, it stems from the time when videogames were in their infancy, and tabletop wargamers ruled the circle of nerds. People just dropped the "war" from "wargamers," and called themselves "gamers" for short. It really annoyed me when the term shifted from referring to people who played tabletop games, who may or may not play videogames, to including people who exclusively play videogames, removing the need to partake in tabletop gaming completely. This happened somewhere around 2001.

Edit: But yes, it was originally a self-identified term of pride. Same thing with "hardcore," for that matter; it used to mean gaming was one of your primary hobbies. The marketers picked up on both terms later.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Aardvark Soup said:
BrionJames said:

Actually, it stems from the time when videogames were in their infancy, and tabletop wargamers ruled the circle of nerds. People just dropped the "war" from "wargamers," and called themselves "gamers" for short. It really annoyed me when the term shifted from referring to people who played tabletop games, who may or may not play videogames, to including people who exclusively play videogames, removing the need to partake in tabletop gaming completely. This happened somewhere around 2001.

Edit: But yes, it was original a self-identified term of pride. Same thing with "hardcore," for that matter; it used to mean gaming was one of your primary hobbies. The marketers picked up on both terms later.
Yeah it is quite sad. Now I have to describe myself as "one who likes to partake in his fair share of fantasy adventures." Or more simply, "I like to roll dies and get big numbers!"