Ooooh dear, a black actress is playing Live Action Ariel in the Little Mermaid movie.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh....this is not Halle Barry.

This is Halle Bailey.
Yes, we know that. But unfortunately, reading is hard for many people. [https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/entertainment/halle-berry-halle-bailey-the-little-mermaid/index.html]

Also, they cast a black woman as the Little Mermaid. So fucking what?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
At this point. I am almost convinced that Hollywood is doing this on purpose because apparently Attention = Money these days.
BTW, they very well could be doing this because Halle is perfect in every way for the role. How dark someone's tan is isn't a qualifier. She has the ability, the voice, the charisma and energy for this role and she deserves it. I don't think they could have picked a better person for the role.

Everything about her screams " Disney princess".
She brightens a room with her energy and smile.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
warmachine said:
I wanna know how a species that lives in the sea evolved to have melanin tinted skin.
Pretty sure there weren't any red haired mermaids before 1989 either, but then we got one, and here we are.

Personally I would have loved to see Emma Stone utterly nail the role, but I don't know the first thing about Bailey so who am I to judge her?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I mean, I haven't gone to a single live action adaptation of a Disney film and I was not going to see this one either - black, Asian, Hispanic, white, Polynesian... whatever colour they decide the manatee mirage to be.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Lil devils x said:
Halle Bailey will be a beautiful Mermaid! She has the eyes, smile, voice and energy to make a great Ariel. Ariel was one of my favorite characters when I was little and I had an Ariel doll I used to play in the bathtub with. Halle looks like she was born to be a mermaid.

She was one of my childhood favorites and I think she will be amazing in the role.
I never heard of her so she is new to me.

I take it she was in one of those live action sitcoms in the Disney Channel?
I don't watch much television, but yes she is apparently and actress as well as a singer. She plays on a sitcom called" Grownish". I have never heard of it, but I don't really watch sitcoms either. She play's Skylar aka "the girl in the bathtub":

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782991/

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-little-mermaid-remake-controversy

This right here....this is the equivalent of making Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne black. I mean heck they already turned Jimmy Olsen from a nerdy ginger to a black Adonis in the CW Supergirl show.

This is gonna be Ghostbusters 2016/The Last Jedi level of controversy all over again. I can already see the reaction, ranting, and "political analysis" youtube videos in my head already.

At this point. I am almost convinced that Hollywood is doing this on purpose because apparently Attention = Money these days.
Here's a simple explanation as to why this girl got the job. She walked into the audition and sung the MOTHER FUCKING SHIT out of "Part of Your World". There. Cut, print, done

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-little-mermaid-remake-controversy

This right here....this is the equivalent of making Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne black. I mean heck they already turned Jimmy Olsen from a nerdy ginger to a black Adonis in the CW Supergirl show.

This is gonna be Ghostbusters 2016/The Last Jedi level of controversy all over again. I can already see the reaction, ranting, and "political analysis" youtube videos in my head already.

Here's a simple explanation as to why this girl got the job. She walked into the audition and sung the MOTHER FUCKING SHIT out of "Part of Your World". There. Cut, print, done
Yep, they are gonna make millions from the remixes of classic Disney Songs.

Ugh...I can only imagine a Pop remix of Out There and Hellfire from Hunchback.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
If she can pull it off, why does it even matter? Other than people being a bunch of over-sensitive pansies, I guess.

Admittedly I'm sick of the live-action reboots already...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hate it when they do this to characters with red hair. Its the most striking part of their character design and more often than not when a black actor is cast they lose that (looking at you, New 52 Wally West).

That said, they're doing the red hair and I think it looks great on her, so no problem. Same goes for Anna Diop as Starfire in Titans.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

(Vergil voice): This may be fun.

I never liked Little Mermaid, and I continue not see any of the live-action remakes of Disney films any way, so you can do whatever you want Disney. Start coming up with some original material and instead constantly rehashing good or in Little Mermaid's case, mediocre ideas.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh....this is not Halle Barry.

This is Halle Bailey.
Yes, we know that. But unfortunately, reading is hard for many people. [https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/entertainment/halle-berry-halle-bailey-the-little-mermaid/index.html]

Also, they cast a black woman as the Little Mermaid. So fucking what?
But how will racist pedophiles jack-off to her if shes black? Because I think shes supposed to be like 14-16 or something.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
If she can pull it off, why does it even matter? Other than people being a bunch of over-sensitive pansies, I guess.

Admittedly I'm sick of the live-action reboots already...
I'm looking forward to Mulan, because they're doing it as more of a fantasy epic and if its half as colourful as "The Great Wall" it will be amazing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JoJo said:
It may have been partly to preempt potential criticism over the rasta crab.

Samtemdo8 said:
Is pretty much iconic to culture at this point. Having a Black Actress be this Ariel is the equivalent of making Jesus an African man.
Black Jesus is a thing:

Makes about as much sense as blonde, blue-eyed Jesus.

My mom has the painting in her living room.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Worgen said:
But how will racist pedophiles jack-off to her if shes black? Because I think shes supposed to be like 14-16 or something.
You think that'll prevent them from jacking off? Naive! I'm willing to be a lot of hatespunk has already been spilled.

Iirc, pretty much all the Disney princesses are underage, with Snow White the youngest at 14. I think Pocahontas is an exception. Probably got aged up because the real life one was 12.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'm looking forward to this movie mainly because I want to see how they do the whole under water look.

As for the girl's skin colour, I couldn't care less. We all still have the original cartoon around, no reason why there can't be a re-imagining of it with a different colored person as Ariel.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
warmachine said:
I wanna know how a species that lives in the sea evolved to have melanin tinted skin.
Hans Christiam Anderson got it right. She'd have green skin

All these white Ariels is just Cultural Appropriation

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Dreiko said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that they seemingly gave the role to a 19 year old with no prior films in her resume. Who knows, maybe she'll be the next big star and is really talented. I'm apprehensive but keeping an open mind.
Not really sure they could have gotten away from that. The Little Mermaid is kinda like Romeo and Juliet in that the story is driven by the idealistic stupidity of youth. They're stories where the characters get so swept up in their infatuation that they throw everything away for a love they haven't even been on a proper date with. That becomes increasingly unlikely as the age of the characters increases, necessitating that the actors can pass for youths. It doesn't really surprise me that such an actor would be just starting to make a name for herself.

Sep 24, 2008
warmachine said:
The Magical Kind.

As in these creatures are based on magic and to try to define them with actual science is pointless.

I hate Disney live action adaptions. It feels like a lazy cash in on our childhood. "Hey, you were a kid when this came out, now spend more money for yourself and your kids so we can possibly have at least 2 people in your family aboard this cash cow".

I see nothing wrong with casting Miss Bailey in the role. Atlantica is a made up place. You had no problem with Jamaican Crabs before?