Ooooh dear, a black actress is playing Live Action Ariel in the Little Mermaid movie.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Lil devils x said:
It isn't Ariel's hair, eye or skin color that makes Ariel ( besides they use wigs and contacts anyways), it is the way she carries herself, her voice, her charisma, her energy, her manner and I think Halle fits perfectly into that role. Ariel does not have some racial history or past that would factor in to her tan or culture being a factor in her character more so than her personality.
That's a touchingly optimistic explanation (some would say naive). I'm sure she's a fantastic actress and will do a great job in the role, but the fact remains somebody (well, a whole boardroom of somebodies) made the decision to cast a black girl in the role of Ariel. Not a black person. Not a girl of colour. This was a thought-out, planned decision that, like all Disney releases, has more to do with marketing than artistic vision.

I'm not saying it couldn't possibly work, and please believe me when I say I'm really not that opposed to the idea of black mermaids. They're fictional creatures, as has been pointed out by everyone. But it's a change that sets off a chain of dominoes within the established story. If Ariel is black, then naturally Triton is black too. Will Prince Eric be black, or are Disney finally ready to "go there" in terms of depicting an interracial love story? I actually kind of hope they have the cajones to do that, not simply black-wash the entire movie because it would be easier for audiences to swallow.

Apr 17, 2009
Batou667 said:
I'm not saying it couldn't possibly work, and please believe me when I say I'm really not that opposed to the idea of black mermaids. They're fictional creatures, as has been pointed out by everyone. But it's a change that sets off a chain of dominoes within the established story. If Ariel is black, then naturally Triton is black too. Will Prince Eric be black, or are Disney finally ready to "go there" in terms of depicting an interracial love story? I actually kind of hope they have the cajones to do that, not simply black-wash the entire movie because it would be easier for audiences to swallow.
I mean, mermaids were a folk tale from people sailing around the Caribbean, a setting which certainly fits with the film's musical stylings, so honestly having the film be multicoloured as all hell would be great

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Batou667 said:
Lil devils x said:
It isn't Ariel's hair, eye or skin color that makes Ariel ( besides they use wigs and contacts anyways), it is the way she carries herself, her voice, her charisma, her energy, her manner and I think Halle fits perfectly into that role. Ariel does not have some racial history or past that would factor in to her tan or culture being a factor in her character more so than her personality.
That's a touchingly optimistic explanation (some would say naive). I'm sure she's a fantastic actress and will do a great job in the role, but the fact remains somebody (well, a whole boardroom of somebodies) made the decision to cast a black girl in the role of Ariel. Not a black person. Not a girl of colour. This was a thought-out, planned decision that, like all Disney releases, has more to do with marketing than artistic vision.

Ariel could be of mixed parentage - not much hay is made of Ariel's mother and indeed she was largely unmentioned until either the second or third sequel to The Little Mermaid. Indeed Triton could still be played by a white actor but his late wife could be black. It is mentioned somewhere that Ariel is the image of her mother; so that'd make sense.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I say both A) who gives a shit specifically because only loud, cretinous, Internet outrage peddlers really care and B) who gives a shit more broadly because all these live action remakes are cynical, soulless cash-ins that prey on nostalgia anyway.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Batou667 said:
Lil devils x said:

You honestly do not know how they went about making this specific decision and are just taking a guess about how this came to be at this point. Ariel being black does not mean they have to cast a black Triton, but Gordon already beat me to that. Halle walking in and being the best person for the role during auditions ultimately could have been their reason for casting her as she has proven herself to be an amazing singer and extremely talented. They did not specify ethnicity for their auditions. They actually held open auditions for the role, not just make offers to specific actresses. Sending the approval confirmation "upstairs" for finalization could have been an afterthought and not as preplanned out as you suggest. I don't think they specifically sought out have a black woman as Ariel, it just turned out that A black woman would make the best Ariel after weighing the actual performers they had available for the role.

It is sad though that people assume that her race was the reason she was given the role rather than her overwhelming talent. It is a insulting to her to assume that was the primary reason here rather than a factor she was able to overcome due to her ability.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Lil devils x said:
Batou667 said:
Lil devils x said:

You honestly do not know how they went about making this specific decision and are just taking a guess about how this came to be at this point. Ariel being black does not mean they have to cast a black Triton, but Gordon already beat me to that. Halle walking in and being the best person for the role during auditions ultimately could have been their reason for casting her as she has proven herself to be an amazing singer and extremely talented. They did not specific ethnicity for their auditions. They actually held open auditions for the role, not just make offers to specific actresses. Sending the approval confirmation " upstairs" for finalization could have been an afterthought and not as preplanned out as you suggest. I don't think they specifically sought out have a black woman as Ariel, it just turned out that A black woman would make the best Ariel after weighing the actual performers they had available for the role.

It is sad though that people assume that her race was the reason she was given the role rather than her overwhelming talent. It is a insulting to her to assume that was the primary reason here rather than a factor she was able to overcome due to her ability.
This literally happens with every job like this.

What's even worse is when they dont realise that picking a person because they are white and not talent is just as bad

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chewster said:
I say both A) who gives a shit specifically because only loud, cretinous, Internet outrage peddlers really care and B) who gives a shit more broadly because all these live action remakes are cynical, soulless cash-ins that prey on nostalgia anyway.
This.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
From her photo, she does have fantastic hair and a sort of aquatic mermaidy aesthetic. I'd have picked her for that hair alone really. Not even jealous.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
trunkage said:
Lil devils x said:
Batou667 said:
Lil devils x said:

You honestly do not know how they went about making this specific decision and are just taking a guess about how this came to be at this point. Ariel being black does not mean they have to cast a black Triton, but Gordon already beat me to that. Halle walking in and being the best person for the role during auditions ultimately could have been their reason for casting her as she has proven herself to be an amazing singer and extremely talented. They did not specific ethnicity for their auditions. They actually held open auditions for the role, not just make offers to specific actresses. Sending the approval confirmation " upstairs" for finalization could have been an afterthought and not as preplanned out as you suggest. I don't think they specifically sought out have a black woman as Ariel, it just turned out that A black woman would make the best Ariel after weighing the actual performers they had available for the role.

This literally happens with every job like this.

What's even worse is when they dont realise that picking a person because they are white and not talent is just as bad
I was discussing this on voice chat and I actually had someone tell me that they should have Halle be a " voice actor" for a white girl so they wouldn't need a white girl who could sing. Seriously. Even worse, people are fine with " Color changing Ariel dolls" that changed color in hot/ cold water, but forbid a human a few shades darker than the cartoon play her. This entire debacle is absurd.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I?m just sick of the live action crap. Either Disney should adapt their lesser known works(Black Cauldron or Oliver and Company) or do new stories.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I say if she doesn't immediately get her lower half amputated and a fish tail grafted on, she should be immediately fired. Her casting is an insult to all the real mermaids everywhere.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Dreiko said:
Asita said:
Dreiko said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that they seemingly gave the role to a 19 year old with no prior films in her resume. Who knows, maybe she'll be the next big star and is really talented. I'm apprehensive but keeping an open mind.
Not really sure they could have gotten away from that. The Little Mermaid is kinda like Romeo and Juliet in that the story is driven by the idealistic stupidity of youth. They're stories where the characters get so swept up in their infatuation that they throw everything away for a love they haven't even been on a proper date with. That becomes increasingly unlikely as the age of the characters increases, necessitating that the actors can pass for youths. It doesn't really surprise me that such an actor would be just starting to make a name for herself.
This still is the same Hollywood that casts 30somethings as HS students regularly, right?

Something tells me they could have handled this in some way.
In as much as that's an oft-mocked practice, yes.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Silvanus said:
Fidelity to the source material went out the window with the first Little Mermaid film, which bears little resemblance to the Anderson story. Why d'you think it is people get angry about some changes, but not others?
Well yes, but who do you think makes up the majority of the fanbase/stakeholders here; people who have only ever read the Hans Christian Andersen story, or kids (and adults) who grew up with the Disney depiction of Ariel that has been consistent across three movies, various videogame and cartoon appearances, and extensive merchandising? When I say "source material" I meant the existing Disney version.

Ridiculous comparison. Obviously there are certain characteristics which actually matter to the character. Ethnicity is not one of them.
OK, good, so you concede there are certain characteristics that if changed would alter the character to an unacceptable degree. Why isn't ethnicity one of them? Almost everyone here seems to have decided a priori that The Little Mermaid's race is so irrelevant it's beneath discussion. The other upcoming live action Disney release being discussed on this forum is Mulan. Nobody is suggesting Mulan be portrayed by a black actress. Why?

Sep 24, 2008
Batou667 said:
OK, good, so you concede there are certain characteristics that if changed would alter the character to an unacceptable degree. Why isn't ethnicity one of them? Almost everyone here seems to have decided a priori that The Little Mermaid's race is so irrelevant it's beneath discussion. The other upcoming live action Disney release being discussed on this forum is Mulan. Nobody is suggesting Mulan be portrayed by a black actress. Why?
If I can field that question?

Mulan is a Chinese Human. From China.

Ariel is a fictional magical species that is on a made up continent somewhere underwater. Could be off of the coast of Africa, for all you know.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I don't like when established characters are wildly changed. But it really is an irrelevant issue when the country is run by White Supremacists.

I don't complain about this stuff as much anymore, cause I have better priorities than the racist folk who just hate seeing black people in anything.

Plus the current MJ is growing on me. (Saw Spider-Man yesterday).

Oh and white washing shit happens all the time too. Did we really need an American version of Oldboy?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Batou667 said:
If I can field that question?

Mulan is a Chinese Human. From China.

Ariel is a fictional magical species that is on a made up continent somewhere underwater. Could be off of the coast of Africa, for all you know.

#therealariel

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
One might also mention that even if it is off the coast of Scandinavia somewhere, it's not like Scandinavia (or anywhere) is 100% white above water.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Baffle2 said:
In what way has anything happened at group Y's expense?
Firstly the effective retconning of the last 30 years of Little Mermaid. That is sure to annoy, if not exactly upset, many fans.

Secondly, much is made of the need for characters children will associate with. Great, little back girls now have one extra princess they can dress up as at Halloween. Spare a thought for the little red-headed girls though; all they have is that girl from Brave now, and nobody wants to be her.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Wintermute said:
Pretty unrealistic having a woman in the role anyway. A man should play the lead character and the movie renamed The Little Merman.
There is. It's called "The Shape of Water"