Osama Bin Laden Celebrations labelled "Disguisting"

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
They shouldn't be celebrating like they are but this is a big step in the war against terrorism. Celebrate that step rather than his actual death and also they should realise the war is far from over. The way they're carring on you'd think world peace was just declared.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
The reason I'm OK with it is because the vast majority of 9/11 deaths were civilians. People who were of no threat. Now if we bombed a house of 100 civilians to get to him that would be wrong. But killing Osama the militant, that's the difference to me.

Civilian deaths: nothing to celebrate. No matter what side you are on.
Military leader: acceptable to celebrate the removal of a threat.
Speaking of which there were 0 civilian and 0 US casualties in this attack that's reason enough to celebrate.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Kortney said:
RelexCryo said:
Celebrating the death of a mass murderer does not equal celebrating the mass murder of innocent people.
And thank you for proving my point! :)

The Taliban and Al Qaeda see the USA as the murderers. The USA see Al Qaeda as the murderers. Both celebrate the death of perceived murderers.
Status as murderer is objective, not subjective. Arguing the two are equal on the grounds that who is and who is not a murderer is entirely subjective is flawed logic.
Err explain how it is objective? If you are talking about killing innocent people, the US army has killed more innocent people than Bin Laden has. So does that make them murderers? Tell me englightened one, what exactly is the qualification of a murderer? Is it the deliberate killing of civilians - well all armies are guilty of that too. When the Allies firebombed residential Japan was that not deliberate killing of civilians? Or is murder the "unjustified" killing of innocents? Well justification is entirely subjective. Some people think accidently knocking their alcohol out of their hand is justification to bash you to death. Bin Laden had decades of political "justification" for 9/11.

So, what is it? What makes someone a "murderer"? I think a "murderer" is someone who kills innocent people on the same side to you, or people you like. Plain and simple.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Welcome to America, there are people who will admit that they will use anything as an excuse to drink.
Off topic, but the english really will take any excuse to drink, this last weekend was a hangover fest because of the wedding (no one really gives a shit about the royals, it was just a free holiday)

OT: Out of my randomly induced tiredness (damn sun) I'm going to use my captcha as my response to this thread

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
To quote Rhett Butler "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" . It's not like this will change anything in the long run, and if it will, there is always a chance that things will change for worse.

Bloating an assassination of single person to such degree will only lure unwanted attention and increase the chance of retaliation. Some things are just better kept quiet and with terrorism it's rather uncommon for it to stop just due to single leader death.

The media will find new big news soon anyway and not many will remember what happened in few weeks.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
thehype097 said:
jackpipsam said:
America's ego is getting to them again
The only thing bigger than America's ego is the Holier than thou attitude of people from other countries regarding it.
^ ^ ^ Oh God, this a million times. ^ ^ ^

Seriously, some of you guys need to pull your heads out of your asses. One of the most evil men to ever walk the planet it dead. The country that was the victim of his evil is now the country that killed him, and that country's (which just so happens to be mine in this case) residents have every right to celebrate. If you can't see that you need to come down off your high horse and get in touch with reality - people celebrate their victories.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
Beryl77 said:
I agree only partly. It's true that when I saw the people celebrate like that, I thought that they act like the terrorists when they celebrated the death of U.S. citizens. If the USA claims to be the bigger person then they shouldn't act like the terrorists.
On the other hand I can understand that they're happy. He was the symbol for terrorism, thanks to him many people lived in fear and are now afraid to use an airplane. It's irrelevant how much he has done in the terroristic attacks, he was always the one people associated with terrorism and now since he's dead, it's like finally a victory against terrorism and the people are happy after such a long time and want to let that happiness out.
I think part of the problem is the term "Terrorism".

It's become a catch-all phrase for anything done to civilians.

"Terrorists" don't follow any one particular ideology, they come from all countries and religions.

If you consider "Terrorism" in the broad sense, the Westboro Baptist Church are a kind of terrorist.

What I'm really trying to say is that it's almost impossibly to have a "victory" over "terrorism".
I agree, I don't feel victorious or something like that. There are way too many terrorist organisations out there, to really win against terrorism (whatever the definition for terrorism is) but for many people he was the symbol for terrorism and now they think they've achieved something big by killing him. I don't think that they really celebrate the death of a man, rather a victory against terrorism but like you said, it's pretty much impossible to actually be victorious against global terrorism.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Kortney said:
RelexCryo said:
Kortney said:
RelexCryo said:
Celebrating the death of a mass murderer does not equal celebrating the mass murder of innocent people.
And thank you for proving my point! :)

The Taliban and Al Qaeda see the USA as the murderers. The USA see Al Qaeda as the murderers. Both celebrate the death of perceived murderers.
Status as murderer is objective, not subjective. Arguing the two are equal on the grounds that who is and who is not a murderer is entirely subjective is flawed logic.
Err explain how it is objective? If you are talking about killing innocent people, the US army has killed more innocent people than Bin Laden has. So does that make them murderers? Tell me englightened one, what exactly is the qualification of a murderer? Is it the deliberate killing of civilians - well all armies are guilty of that too. When the Allies firebombed residential Japan was that not deliberate killing of civilians? Or is murder the "unjustified" killing of innocents? Well justification is entirely subjective. Some people think accidently knocking their alcohol out of their hand is justification to bash you to death. Bin Laden had decades of political "justification" for 9/11.

So, what is it? What makes someone a "murderer"?
Murder is the killing of innocent people. Yes, the American army, at several points in history, have murdered innocent people, and committed fundamentally evil acts. This is a well known fact. Justification is not entirely subjective. Murder is a word with a set definition, as is self defense. The definitions that are collectively given to these words give them a meaning beyond what random psychopaths choose to give them.

The evil actions of oligarchists and militaries-their murders- does not justify the murder of innocent people.

thehype097

Mar 10, 2010
Just for all this criticism I'm throwing a party when Paul Hogan passes. But only to remember the good times. I refuse to hold him accountable for murdering my funny bone in the late eighties. Seriously, That WAS a knife he had.

thehype097

Mar 10, 2010
Dense_Electric said:
thehype097 said:
jackpipsam said:
America's ego is getting to them again
The only thing bigger than America's ego is the Holier than thou attitude of people from other countries regarding it.
^ ^ ^ Oh God, this a million times. ^ ^ ^

Seriously, some of you guys need to pull your heads out of your asses. One of the most evil men to ever walk the planet it dead. The country that was the victim of his evil is now the country that killed him, and that country's (which just so happens to be mine in this case) residents have every right to celebrate. If you can't see that you need to come down off your high horse and get in touch with reality - people celebrate their victories.
That was the reason I said what I said, I get it it's cool to mock American's for having ego's as big as their asses. I was mocking that attitude. I get it people don't like us we won't sit at your lunch table okay just stop picking on us because it really hurts our feelings when you say mean things like that.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
PixelKing said:
Thats FAIR. Hm.

I think thats true that we shouldn't celebrate a man dying.
On the contrary. There are only two responses that are generally valid in the case of death: celebration and mourning. Since I see little reason to mourn his death that means I'm left with celebrating the event.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to do anything crazy. In fact, my response was nothing more than a slight smile at the news as I passed a TV blaring it.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
William Catching said:
OH NO! THE RADICAL TERRORIST WHO ORCHASTRATED 9/11 AND THE LONGEST WAR IN AMERICAN HISTORY IS DEAD! HOW WILL WE GO ON?!

For those of you who mourn him or do anything les than laugh and dance, you can go and die in a hole.
That part was Bush. To me, as a non American, for ordering the invasion of Afghanistan that ultimately ended in the deaths of far more Afghani civilians than the number who died on 11/9, despite having near non existent approval in America shortly after the attacks on the WTC (http://www.hist.umn.edu/~ruggles/Approval.htm) Bush is as 'evil' as Osama (as i justified on page 3). That's looking at it purely in black and white terms of course.

'You can go die in a hole' gives you no creditability whatsoever, by the way. You'll only end up needlessly antagonizing by posting something like that.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
i suppose he thinks celebrating the death of a loved one (like some people in new orleans do) is disgusting. what does he think we are? robots?

osama bin laden was an evil man responisble for the deaths of thousands and a man who had no remorse for the crimes he committed and represented nothing positive. there is nothing disgusting about celebrating the death of an evil man.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
There's a difference between combatants and innocent bystanders, and almost everyone in the world knows this and I would like to think that in most circumstances they accept and abide by the implications of that difference. One of the reasons soldiers wear uniforms is to say "shoot at me, not at those civilians over there."

It's one thing to strike out at the military units of your foes, maybe even uncork a bottle of champagne once your foes have lost another tooth.

It's a whole 'nother thing entirely to hijack a plane full of civilians, fly it into a building full of innocent bystanders, and then whoop it up like it's the best birthday present EVAR.

Tonight, I'm not out there celebrating myself (though my friends joked about going to Red Robin for the occasion), but I find nothing disgusting or improper in celebrating the death of someone with that much innocent blood on his hands.

For a clearer idea of my opinion, try this song by Sabaton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU91h959WsM and pay close attention to the "bridge" chant near the end. Payoff comes today, and the world's a little safer.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Too bad I'm "Dancin' in the Streets". I'm not glad or thankful he is dead, I am glad and thankful I'm not on the same earth any longer with Osama Bin Laden.

-goes back to listening to Dancin' in the Streets-

The Stabilo Boss

Oct 11, 2008
Denariax said:
Just as I am allowed to ridicule those who do celebrate it.

And thats all I'm doing. Good day, gentlemen.
To be fair, ridiculing =/= punching someone.

Kortney said:

So, what is it? What makes someone a "murderer"? I think a "murderer" is someone who kills innocent people on the same side to you, or people you like. Plain and simple.
I'm a little confused here, are you saying that the people who were in the WTC on 9/11 killed innocent people?

Osama Bin Laden = Murderer
The people who were killed in 9/11 = Not murderers
That's pretty objective.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
We should know better than to celebrate the death of a human being. Osama did terrible things, no one questions that, and I would be relieved if Al-Qaeda were to surrender, but yet we must never drop so low as to celebrate another man's death. We can't call it celebrating the end of the war against Al-Qaeda, as they've yet to actually surrender and the war could continue for a long time yet. It may be easy to hate someone, especially if they've committed horrible crimes, but it's never right to.