Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
SoopaSte123 said:
I heard he ate breakfast every morning, so I propose we ban that! Those evil Choco Krispies shall plague our world no more
Actually, this is a good idea. Damn Cocoa Krispies... how the hell is that still going while Berry Krispies got discontinued. What the HELL?!?

DaHero said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
I love the Internet. It's where I can find out that everything I hold dear (Christianity, Video Games, Politics, My Country) has a sizable force raised against it by either teenage pricks who think church is boring, and are therefore loud and obnoxious anti-theists (despite the fact that Christianity and Islam are the only two religions I've ever seen bitching about); or misguided extremist political figures giving the whole political system a bad name.
Agreed, it's hard enough being a gamer AND a christian without having the people who are supposed to be supporting your point of view trying to stone you for being one or the other.

Feels like Romeo and Juliet...I swear...I feel like Romeo and Juliet had a kid, that was me, and ended up walking into the feud...so since technically I'm both they should allow me to be neutral, but NO they both want to kill me!
On the bright side, it's also reassuring that to know that not everyone is a generalist idiot. That's how I felt when I read you guys' posts.
Pain = felt, let me tell ya T_T

I'm not sure which side I'd rather punch first when this kinda crap rears its ugly head.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I'm going to say it very simply: Fuck off, ACL.

Millions of people play Modern Warfare 2: the fact that one of them is a homicidal maniac is no justification for banning it. This is nothing more than a cheap attempt to use the sympathy this attack has generated to mount a kind of last-ditch attempt to torpedo the R18+ rating now that they know they're fighting a losing battle. I swear, what with this and Glen Beck suggesting that those kids were like the Hitler Youth, I'm this close to becoming officially misanthropic.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I hunt and play games

I guess under their crazy assessment I am a danger.

But wait I am also a peace loving Christian, now what am I?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Gilhelmi said:
I hunt and play games

You don't exist. You're not even here right now....

...who the hell was I just talking to?

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
I´m going to try this agin:
Please change the picture that links to this thread on the front page.
It does not represent what this thread is about and seeing that man posing with a gun is horrible to see when they are still fishing victims out of the water at Utøya.

I´m not angry or anything but that picture is one that he took of himself to promote himself in his manifest and the less we see of that is better.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
BX3 said:
Gilhelmi said:
I hunt and play games

You don't exist. You're not even here right now....

...who the hell was I just talking to?
But I think, I think rational.

I hunt for food, for clothing, for shelter. I play games to relax and think. I read to open my mind to new ideas and continue to think.

You are talking to the last person who is right in the head.

Wait, does that mean I am Crazy. If everyone is crazy then the few who are sane are outcast of society, therefore I might be crazy for being sane. (Insert maniacal laughter) I am quite crazy with a bad case of sanity.

puffy786

Jun 6, 2011
Even if this Nazi cited MW2 as "his training regime" he still had real life weapon practice and he committed the crimes because HE WAS A NEO-NAZI. However, i don't expect Faux News to catch on to this.

penguindogexd

Jun 20, 2011
dfphetteplace said:
Nevermind the fact that he was a christian, which I am sure is more of a cause of the killings then the video games. Maybe we should ban religion and this type of stuff would go away? In the words of George Carlin, if you look at history, God is the #1 cause of death.

And nevermind the fact that MW2 has sold millions of copies, and one person goes off the deep end? So let's ban it all!
you make quite an intelligent point about this. but seriously does everyone think that this is actually going to happen? bill s 987 or whatever its called is going to be changed or discarded. no one wants it. we live in societies run for the people. banning video games, will not happen

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
CM156 said:
You know, I've read the bible all the way though once

Let me tell you: No game can beat the levels of violence I found in the Old Testiment. Such as one guy getting a tent spike driven through his head. Or the task David had to do to to get married (To quote wikipedia "Saul makes David a commander over his armies and offers him his daughter Michal in marriage for bringing more than 200 foreskins of the Philistines to him" Worst. Collection. Quest. Ever.). Yeeesh.
Actually, he was only supposed to bring 100. He brought 200 for shits and giggles.
Source: http://www.cracked.com/article_15699_the-9-most-badass-bible-verses_p3.html

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
The Virgo said:
This is what is commonly known as: "Over-reaction".

Besides, if games are banned in Austrailia, how will Yahtzee Crowshaw review them?! D:
I'm pretty sure he imports. They're not really banned, so are refused classification, and can't be sold.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
New idea: Ban religion. Anything that can cause even a few nutcases "over the edge" should be banned. Right Wallace?

Let's run a test and replace the mention of games in Wallace's statement to the SMH with religion.

"The studied indifference of this killer to the suffering he was inflicting, his obvious dehumanizing of his victims and the evil methodical nature of the killings have all the marks of [religious] scenarios. How can we allow the profits of [religious organisations] and selfishness of [religious lobbyists] to place our increasingly dysfunctional society at further risk? Even if this prohibition were to save only one tragedy like this each twenty years it would be worth it."

Huh, would you look at that. Makes even more sense now.

Thankfully Brendan O'Connor seems pretty keen on getting sensible gaming legislation passed. The Labor Government needs all the support it can get and this will win points for them.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
leave it to Australia to yet again...miss the point...and people thought fox news was going to go crazy, they barely mentioned him playing games at all. Australia is makeing Fox news look better on this subject!

this was a nutjob who was politically motivated. nothing more, nothing less.
Yes, you are correct about the politically motivated nutjob. So was the killer, too.

See, Jim Wallace is kinda like our version of Jack Thompson, except instead of being a lawyer, Jim is a trained killer.[footnote]See how dangerous all Australian invertebrates are! Even our anti-fun activists can kill you![/footnote] He's also a religious nutter, of course. And most of us pay the same amount of attention to him as you guys do to Jack Thompson.
Hmm... Killer, right-wing religious nutter... I wonder how much else he has in common with the shooter?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
The Great JT said:
The Australian government saying that the Oslo madman's killing spree shouldn't lead to a violent video game ban in taht country?! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!

Also, I give the aussie gov't two weeks before they blow through the "cool points" they got from this action.
You've hit the nail on the head. Seriously, for everyone who thinks it is bizarre that the Australian government is displaying what appears to be 'common sense' in regards to this issue for a change, I hate to chime in with a cynical interpretation and point out that the Gillard government is in damage control mode after their wishy-washy carbon tax has pushed their ratings into the low 30%. As a result, they've been doing whatever they can to try and win back 'cool points', as JT puts it, to distract people from this current debate. Case in point: the Prime Minister herself commented on the retirement of a Sydney footballer, desperate to try and appear up to speed on sporting matters. Next Australia Day, mark my words, they'll make Cadel Evans Australian of the year, so on and so forth. This sudden interest in doing what's right by gamers is simply an attempt by Gillard to appear hip with the younger generation, and this burst of goodwill won't last any longer than she needs it to.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Wait, so a man is driven to murder by insanity and political extremism (or at least that was the verdict last I saw) and this is somehow the fault of video games? I'm sorry, but even for a schizophrenic, that's a hell of a non-sequiter.
As a schizophrenic, I can tell you, the only thing that would push a schizophrenic to mass murder would be if they immersed themselves to much in the hateful conservative media and began to truly believe that their country, race, religion or whatever was under attack by group A, and then it's a giant leap from believing group A is destroying the world to deciding to go out and slaughter them.

Notice how I said conservative media there, and notice how I said immerse, like a 24/7 hate media channel, liberal or central media tends not to exploit peoples' fears to bolster support, only the right wingers will lie like that, or to sell that hatred 24/7.

Also, as a person who has had to receive treatment for what is basically insanity, a lot of what I see in right wing media, seems like pure fucking insanity to begin with. All the conspiracy theories I read about pretty much scare the shit out of me at this point; when I think about the fact that there are people out there, who really believe in that shit.

So insane theories into insane hearts and insane tragedies result. When you die, you can no longer do good in this world, but every hate filled and ignorant word you spoke can still do evil. I wish mass media people would recognize that fact; because fear mongering and politicizing is what led to Wahabism, A.K.A: Islamic terrorism, and Wahabi died two centuries ago.

EDIT: Appendix, I guess I should explain things. In the 19th century the people who were under colonial rule had this notion that the colonial rulers who lived in mansions were utterly morally foul, disgusting and unredeemable. The usual thing would be to say that parties every night in the mansions led to wild orgies. In that time frame, Wahhabi an anti-colonialist, decided to write a book about how the western world was the horn of satan, and hundreds of years later his theory is a dominant theory of Islam is some places of the Middle East. Muslims who only study Wahhabi's teachings declare jihad, the current state of shit ensues.

The worst thing about Breivik is if he knows and understands this, his every action is to set the ideological stage for another ensuing shit storm in the centuries to come. This is really making me sick. And I need to go chill out for 10 before I start believing the insane theory that our media is destroying our world. When I should know that news watching old fucks gonna die of age, and young people don't trust mass media anymore anyway.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I have no idea why but the Australian Christian lobby has taken offence to videogames since forever. Being Australian I've carefully followed the mediums arduous journey towards getting and "adults only" rating here. The Christian lobby is also opposed to this movement (Running the argument that it will allow minors access to horrible material). This is just another one of their ploys to try and discredit our medium by attaching negative connotations to it. I am highly unsurprised that they'd pipe up insensitively now. However I am Disappointed.

God I'm tired of this group acting all pious and pretending that videogames can have a far more corrupting influence than...say...religion? Because violence has never occurred due to theistic differences...*Cough*

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
The Virgo said:
This is what is commonly known as: "Over-reaction".

Besides, if games are banned in Austrailia, how will Yahtzee Crowshaw review them?! D:
Same way Yahtzee ALWAYS does. IMPORT THAT SHIT!

OT: HOW does one connect this horrible event to video games? One single comment from this nut, probably brought up to seal another nail in the coffin, and possibly hurt gamers because...Christian people hate video games? Which would make him more of a hypocrite for using the games as training...I don't get it.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
BX3 said:
SoopaSte123 said:
I heard he ate breakfast every morning, so I propose we ban that! Those evil Choco Krispies shall plague our world no more
Actually, this is a good idea. Damn Cocoa Krispies... how the hell is that still going while Berry Krispies got discontinued. What the HELL?!?

DaHero said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
I love the Internet. It's where I can find out that everything I hold dear (Christianity, Video Games, Politics, My Country) has a sizable force raised against it by either teenage pricks who think church is boring, and are therefore loud and obnoxious anti-theists (despite the fact that Christianity and Islam are the only two religions I've ever seen bitching about); or misguided extremist political figures giving the whole political system a bad name.
Agreed, it's hard enough being a gamer AND a christian without having the people who are supposed to be supporting your point of view trying to stone you for being one or the other.

Feels like Romeo and Juliet...I swear...I feel like Romeo and Juliet had a kid, that was me, and ended up walking into the feud...so since technically I'm both they should allow me to be neutral, but NO they both want to kill me!
On the bright side, it's also reassuring that to know that not everyone is a generalist idiot. That's how I felt when I read you guys' posts.
Pain = felt, let me tell ya T_T

I'm not sure which side I'd rather punch first when this kinda crap rears its ugly head.
Well both are idiotic, but games don't send people to hell...I'd personally punch the ACL on this one, get them straightened out spiritually. (that's just me)