Our Little Pony

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Yal said:
I am beginning to suspect this entire comic may be fiction.
Wow, brilliant work there Sherlock. :p

Basically, the comic is making a point about male geeks who respond to females at Cons, particularly attractive ones that defy the usually "geek" stereotype, with unwarranted hostility.

The point they're making is this: How would you feel if you liked something stereotypically girly like My Little Pony and everyone harassed you or thought you were an attention whore because of it? That's how girls often feel when they show up at cons, despite being genuinely interested in nerdy stuff.

Yeah, the comic's drenched in sarcasm and satire, so it's a bit hard to understand.
This isn't helped by the fact that there is a majority male component to the 'Brony' community. There is also the fact that they are actively looking to welcome more female fans to make the community look a little more well adjusted and so don't function like a 'typical' convention crowd.

I'm not saying the point isn't valid or even cleverly made but it would have worked better with a gaming convention setup rather than a pony one. It just seems a little... off in its current form.

There is also the fact that any male 'Brony' who was sexually 'harassed' by three women dressed as part of the mane six probably wouldn't mind. Like at all.
Yeah, it probably would've been better with something that isn't notable for it's surprisingly huge male fanbase, like Barbie or something. He was probably trying to make it more relatable and/or attract more hits by alluding to Bronyism.

And I doubt you could ever really convince men that being sexually harassed by a woman is a very bad thing because our culture dictates that sex is something a woman generously gives and a man is happy to get, no matter the circumstances. That's an issue for another day. though.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
My god. That comic actually reached critical mass levels of lampoon and sarcasm. I actually genuinely believed it had actually happened for a good few minutes there >< Tangently, should I feel ashamed for finding the cigar chomping one kind of cute?

On the actual topic at hand, having just read the article linked under the comic does raise some fair points, and the OP has missed that point. It's not about some elitist jerk juding you based on "geek cred" it's about /those/ sort of women that go to conventions, just so they can seek attention, because they imagine the stereotypical geek being there (which do exist), and feel empowered, because they KNOW that a lot of the men there will be infatuated with her being there. It's cruel and out of order as far as I'm concerned, you don't see me going to places where I envision underconfident, desperate women being just so I can feel superior.

Not only that, there is a large section of the article stating that calling women out to be judged on their geekiness in some asinine system is awful as well, so I'm not sure what the point is regarding the article.

Enlighten me anyone?

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
There are two things in this world I hate most.

1. People who are intolerant of other peoples preferences and beliefs to point of alienation
2. Bronies.
i saw what you did there...

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
uhohimdead said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
If "bronies" actually got treated that way, every guy in the world would pretend to be into My Little Pony.
pretend to be into something just to get subjected to sexual harassment? i doubt that highly

it's not fun for either gender
Actually the idea of getting sexually harassed by a group of women engorges my sexual organ.

Even if it was someone grossly unattractive, the ego boost still happens.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
elvor0 said:
My god. That comic actually reached critical mass levels of lampoon and sarcasm. I actually genuinely believed it had actually happened for a good few minutes there >< Tangently, should I feel ashamed for finding the cigar chomping one kind of cute?

On the actual topic at hand, having just read the article linked under the comic does raise some fair points, and the OP has missed that point. It's not about some elitist jerk juding you based on "geek cred" it's about /those/ sort of women that go to conventions, just so they can seek attention, because they imagine the stereotypical geek being there (which do exist), and feel empowered, because they KNOW that a lot of the men there will be infatuated with her being there. It's cruel and out of order as far as I'm concerned, you don't see me going to places where I envision underconfident, desperate women being just so I can feel superior.
I don't see that reason for going to be worth less than mine (basically socialize and nerdgasm over previews and such). Why is it worth less?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
elvor0 said:

I don't see that reason for going to be worth less than mine (basically socialize and nerdgasm over previews and such). Why is it worth less?
What going to a convention to sucker people into buying you drinks and stuff isn't cruel?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
elvor0 said:

That guy can say he's only talking about those women, but every geek girl I know, including myself, has to put up with dudes assuming you are one of those women and treating you like shit/giving you a quiz.
It's hard enough for lady gamers to be accepted, and pointing out a minority that may take advantage of the `attention` (which I put in quotations because honestly the type of attention I get for being female is not the `good` kind) only furthers this bloody useless stereotype.

Even if some people are there for attention and it bothers you, don't give it to them.
If other people do, that's entirely up to them.

TL;DR - Those women aren't hurting you. This stereotype hurts real nerd-girls.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
THIS made me laugh hysterically for a good bit.
Well done, well done Rydell and Carter

Regardless, I'm gonna avoid any controversy on the subject of bronies, male or female an continue on enjoying the show and fandom.

Secondly, SEXUAL HARASSMENT FLUTTERSHY, all my want. <3

May 5, 2010
Phasmal said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
OK, fair enough. He's a sexist asshole. But not in the way the comic is suggesting. So I think my criticism of the comic still stands. He's sexist because he chose to make a big deal about their appearance, and implied it had something to do with their worth as a person. What he ISN'T is a "Geek Gatekeeper" who accuses women of being posers based solely on their gender.
Isn't that the whole point?
When has a dude been accused of being in the gaming community or going to a con for attention?
Ever?

That guy has no right telling anyone what to do or assuming what other people's motivation is based on things like looks and gender.
He didn't ASSUME anything. He said he had no problem with people who actually liked nerd culture, no matter what gender they are or what they look like. His problem was solely with the ones who DO pretend to like nerd culture just for the attention. If a person doesn't already fit that description, then he's not talking about them. It's that simple. No assumptions were made.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
elvor0 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
elvor0 said:

What going to a convention to sucker people into buying you drinks and stuff isn't cruel?
Maybe some people are going for attention and maybe some people are happy enough to give it to them. No one loses there except people getting worked up about them not being "real nerds/geeks".

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
Toilet said:
uhohimdead said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
If "bronies" actually got treated that way, every guy in the world would pretend to be into My Little Pony.
pretend to be into something just to get subjected to sexual harassment? i doubt that highly

it's not fun for either gender
Actually the idea of getting sexually harassed by a group of women engorges my sexual organ.

Even if it was someone grossly unattractive, the ego boost still happens.
that's still doubtful you would welcome harassment... if you don't expect it and you are caught off guard you will feel bullied and put down. no one likes that, not even you.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Okay...so there is an attention whore problem and a certain part of the community reacted with generalisation and discrimination. This of course is unlikely to solve the problem and may even damage the community a bit more.

You know this is all very interesting... if it weren't for the MLP fandom...

Hazy992 said:
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.
Did you actually read the text? - Because from my point of view you seem to miss the mark as well...
Just a little reminder: The culprits in this case are women...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Phasmal said:
elvor0 said:

That guy can say he's only talking about those women, but every geek girl I know, including myself, has to put up with dudes assuming you are one of those women and treating you like shit/giving you a quiz.
It's hard enough for lady gamers to be accepted, and pointing out a minority that may take advantage of the `attention` (which I put in quotations because honestly the type of attention I get for being female is not the `good` kind) only furthers this bloody useless stereotype.

Even if some people are there for attention and it bothers you, don't give it to them.
If other people do, that's entirely up to them.

TL;DR - Those women aren't hurting you. This stereotype hurts real nerd-girls.
I suppose it depends on your experiences in life, I like to take a "get to know you" to everyone I meet, and like to think I'm tolerant and open minded to people I meet. But then, going from what you describe in your experiences, that would make someone like me the exception, rather than the rule. And you're right, those women drag some peoples expectations of genuinely nice people who are there for the same reasons everyone else is; to have a laugh and enjoy the celebration of what ever convention it is. We as "Geeks" should know better, I'm sure for a lot of us, we were outcast purely by what we liked, we have no business being nasty to people for no good reason, the elitist undercurrent that has developed in the culture I love, I completely abhore. But they are different sides of the same coin;

Let's say, we have an under confident boy who's at a convention and he keeps getting those girls come in, just to sucker up attention and milk some drinks from boys. Boy gets jaded about women and starts being precautious about women at convention. Extremely unfair to the women he meets, and he's been jaded by that, however, those women are also not very nice human beings who are taking advantage of people.

On the flip side, you're at a convention, you know you're a nice person, as your post shows (and I have no pretense to make any other assumptions, given I dont know you), and it leads to boys interrogating you about your supposed "geekiness", which makes you jaded about boys at conventions, and makes those boys horrible people.

I'm not actually sure what my final point is supposed to be now... erm, yeah... some people are cunts and ruin peoples views of certain groups due to their cuntish nature. That works.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
elvor0 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
elvor0 said:

Maybe some people are going for attention and maybe some people are happy enough to give it to them. No one loses there except people getting worked up about them not being "real nerds/geeks".
This might get a little messy having conversations with two people so bear with me:

No, my point is people who go purely to take advantage of other people, like say for example: the hot girl who actually has no interest in being there, other than to milk drinks out of under confident men. That makes those specific people, not very nice human beings, if it were men doing it to women, I'd have the same opinion. I make no generalizations on all of women kind with my point, only against specific people who not only milk attention from people and take advantage of them, but people who are just as bad by quizzing /every/ girl they meet so that they may judge them, purely based on their gender.

Both people are bad, but I don't feel the "Booth babes need not apply" guy is being fairly looked on.

Sep 13, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I'm sure there are women who exploit male geek attention to promote their modelling career. There are obvious cases like some women who were at the con to promote their salon by only wearing superhero body paint and tiny patches covering their naughty bits (They had no interest in comics by their own admission) and they complained about being ejected from the con.

BUT

there is NO WAY to separate regular cosplayers from ''geeky people'' without it turning into some sort of fascist regime and futher promoting the idea that women aren't playing video games when we are. Female cosplayers should be left alone.

It annoys the crap out of me when someone sexily roleplays a character like an underwear model that I personally see to be a tough badass but I would never think of questioning that persons 'geek cred.' If they have put the time and effort into the cosplay then they must at least care about the game on some level.

Booth Babes are totally a different matter the industry needs to get rid of them to stop promoting this boys club mentality. I know you guys like them but they personally seriously make me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome (like I'm sure some oiled hunky guy in a speedo handing out flyers would make some of you guys feel). There's nothing like being reminded you aren't the main demographic in the most skeevy way possible.
I assume that you aren't trying to generalize that all guys like booth babes, but just in case, I have absolutely no interest in them. I'd much rather talk to someone at a stand who actually is interested in what they're selling than someone who's just there for eye candy and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

What bothered me most in that article was how he kept associating real geeks who cosplayed with attractive girls and made it sound like everyone of an average attractiveness who cosplayed was just trying to seek attention they normally got denied. As a general rule though, you shouldn't just assume that someone's in it for the attention, if they really are it should be easy enough to find out just by talking to them about it.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
erttheking said:
...I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what this is trying to say.
It was reversing the situation that was linked below the comic. Women were getting called out for going to cons for "attention" and the comic just reversed the genders to prove a point. Ponies were used to increase hits.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Ishigami said:
Okay...so there is an attention whore problem and a certain part of the community reacted with generalisation and discrimination. This of course is unlikely to solve the problem and may even damage the community a bit more.

You know this is all very interesting... if it weren't for the MLP fandom...

Hazy992 said:
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.
Did you actually read the text? - Because from my point of view you seem to miss the mark as well...
Just a little reminder: The culprits in this case are women...
It's called satire. It's lampooning what a lot of women have to go through when part of the geek sub culture by flipping it on it's head and making women culprits instead of victims. I don't know how you can't see that.