Our Little Pony

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Jesus. People are having this hard of a time with this comic? I mean, it's pretty obvi...

Ishigami said:
Okay...so there is an attention whore problem and a certain part of the community reacted with generalisation and discrimination. This of course is unlikely to solve the problem and may even damage the community a bit more.

You know this is all very interesting... if it weren't for the MLP fandom...

Hazy992 said:
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.
Did you actually read the text? - Because from my point of view you seem to miss the mark as well...
Just a little reminder: The culprits in this case are women...

That's it. I'm done. I tap out.

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Ohlookit said:
What are you guys smoking? I really hope that this sort of thing doesn't go on at pony cons

-M
What are you talking about? MLP conventions are basically one big pit of horny, available females. Why do you think MLP is so popular? The show? Pfffttt.

I have the sneaking suspicion that many convention places are being rapidly booked due to misconceptions about forceful MLP themed foursomes.
this guy is wrong on so many levels...

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
elvor0 said:
I suppose it depends on your experiences in life, I like to take a "get to know you" to everyone I meet, and like to think I'm tolerant and open minded to people I meet. And you're right, those women drag some peoples expectations of genuinely nice people who are there for the same reasons everyone else is; to have a laugh and enjoy the celebration of what ever convention it is. But they are different sides of the same coin;

Let's say, we have an under confident boy who's at a convention and he keeps getting those girls come in, just to sucker up attention and milk some drinks from boys. Boy gets jaded about women and starts being precautious about women at convention. Extremely unfair to the women he meets, and he's been jaded by that, however, those women are also not very nice human beings who are taking advantage of people.

On the flip side, you're at a convention, you know you're a nice person, as your post shows (and I have no pretense to make any other assumptions, given I dont know you), and it leads to boys interrogating you about your supposed "geekiness", which makes you jaded about boys at conventions, and makes those boys horrible people.

I'm not actually sure what my final point is supposed to be now... erm, yeah... some people are cunts and ruin peoples views of certain groups due to their cuntish nature. That works.
If a guy meets a bunch of girls who are only there for attention, that's a sad thing, but it doesn't give them the right to stereotype all other girls.

I've met loads of guys who can't accept that I actually enjoy my own damn hobby, but I don't treat every gamer guy I meet like he's going to act like that. Because that would be wrong. If he does act like that, I just sigh and move on.
These dudes have no excuse. They only serve to push women out and then they complain that women aren't interested.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Phasmal said:
elvor0 said:
I suppose it depends on your experiences in life, I like to take a "get to know you" to everyone I meet, and like to think I'm tolerant and open minded to people I meet. And you're right, those women drag some peoples expectations of genuinely nice people who are there for the same reasons everyone else is; to have a laugh and enjoy the celebration of what ever convention it is. But they are different sides of the same coin;

Let's say, we have an under confident boy who's at a convention and he keeps getting those girls come in, just to sucker up attention and milk some drinks from boys. Boy gets jaded about women and starts being precautious about women at convention. Extremely unfair to the women he meets, and he's been jaded by that, however, those women are also not very nice human beings who are taking advantage of people.

On the flip side, you're at a convention, you know you're a nice person, as your post shows (and I have no pretense to make any other assumptions, given I dont know you), and it leads to boys interrogating you about your supposed "geekiness", which makes you jaded about boys at conventions, and makes those boys horrible people.

I'm not actually sure what my final point is supposed to be now... erm, yeah... some people are cunts and ruin peoples views of certain groups due to their cuntish nature. That works.
If a guy meets a bunch of girls who are only there for attention, that's a sad thing, but it doesn't give them the right to stereotype all other girls.

I've met loads of guys who can't accept that I actually enjoy my own damn hobby, but I don't treat every gamer guy I meet like he's going to act like that. Because that would be wrong. If he does act like that, I just sigh and move on.
These dudes have no excuse. They only serve to push women out and then they complain that women aren't interested.
Just to clarify, I do utterly agree with what you just posted, what you just said, was what I was trying to say, I may have tripped over my own words there, I think I may have over articulated my thoughts a bit.

However, I do feel that the bloke who wrote "Booth babes need not apply" was trying to get a similar point across, and is attracting unfair hate for it.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Ishigami said:
Hazy992 said:
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.
Did you actually read the text? - Because from my point of view you seem to miss the mark as well...
Just a little reminder: The culprits in this case are women...
You might've read the text, but he read the subtext. There is no issue of Bronies being met with hostility by females at pony cons. The author is just making it up as a satirical gender reversal of the actual problem: females being met with hostility by men at gaming cons.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Hazy992 said:
It's called satire. It's lampooning what a lot of women have to go through when part of the geek sub culture by flipping it on it's head and making women culprits instead of victims. I don't know how you can't see that.
That would be simple to explain: I'm not even remotely interested in the MLP fandom.
Since I don't know shit about them, and don't care to learn, I could only take it at face value.

So this strip criticizes not something that happened in the MLP fandom but the article it linked to in its appendix. Well this was obviously lost on someone who does not give a fuck about certain fandoms nor has English as his mouther tongue because I did not see the irony in the text.

Daeggreth

Oct 22, 2009
I have the sneaking suspicion that many convention places are being rapidly booked due to misconceptions about forceful MLP themed foursomes.
Someone wasn't invited to the Braeburned after-party orgy.

Edit: I really hope no one has any clue what I'm talking about.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Ishigami said:
Hazy992 said:
It's called satire. It's lampooning what a lot of women have to go through when part of the geek sub culture by flipping it on it's head and making women culprits instead of victims. I don't know how you can't see that.
That would be simple to explain: I'm not even remotely interested in the MLP fandom.
Since I don't know shit about them, and don't care to learn, I could only take it at face value.

So this strip criticizes not something that happened in the MLP fandom but the article it linked to in its appendix. Well this was obviously lost on someone who does not give a fuck about certain fandoms nor has English as his mouther tongue.
Fair enough. Yeah it's just using MLP because it's popular. The comic could have used any fandom and the point would still stand.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Daeggreth said:
Someone wasn't invited to the Braeburned after-party orgy.

Edit: I really hope no one has any clue what I'm talking about.
Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm on to you! And since I just indicated that I also know what you're talking about, I guess you're on to me as well. Oh dear...

Daeggreth

Oct 22, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm on to you! And since I just indicated that I also know what you're talking about, I guess you're on to me as well. Oh dear...
Okay don't panic. No one else has to know about this. As long as we don't say anything else this can hopefully just be swept under the rug somewhere. After all, what happens in room 403 stays in room 403.

Shit.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LG Jargon said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I want girls to hit on me like that ;_;
Me too, Zip. Me too. *snf*

Also, it's great to see you someplace other than GamePolitics. I'm a long-time lurker and haven't signed on in a long while, but I still visit to keep up with current events and people's reactions to some things. :)

OT: I'm not sure whether this is sarcasm (most likely) or reality (it'd be surprising if it was), and whether to be offended or excited... I mean, I know there's a statement about the treatment of women/"girl gamers" in here somewhere; the parody and sarcasm just feel so heavy, it just feels as if this conversation was just played straight...And if that's the case, then it truly is weird...

I has confusion. 8S
Ima ranting/posting daily on facebook, rarely on google plus, on Deviant art , soemtiems lurking/posting in the gamecritics forums.

I am pretty much zippy everywhere just so I can remember who I am even if I forget which subject I am posting on. LOL

As for this comic its come from a few different directions, its just so fun when you let your imagination run with it.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
What frustrates me is that if a guy receives unwanted sexual advances people say that they have no right to complain and should be thankful a woman acts like that to them. I'm at least glad that some people on this forum realize that sexual harassment is just that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Making a comic about sexism in gaming/geek culture and combining it with MLP is the most genius thing about all this.
Question:
How do you get more views and comments than normal?

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Oh haha, I get it, its so funny because men never get sexually harassed or assaulted. You see because women are incapable of behaving that way. It's SOOOOO funny to reverse the genders because its not like when a man is harassed or assaulted he is ridiculed for not enjoying it, Its not like even serious sexual assaults against men are more often than not almost completely ignored, yet the mere insinuation that anyone might find women who go to a convention in skimpy attire for the sole purpose of an ego boost annoying is simply some petty little tit at best and some sort of rape apologizing misogynist at worst.