Over 1,800 Gaming Professionals Condemn Hate Speech in Open Letter

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
erttheking said:
xPixelatedx said:
erttheking said:
licktheenvelope said:
Ugh... i'm glad the devs are paying attention but seriously they need to get the press to call off the social extremists.
Social extremists? The statement says "Diversity is good, please report harassment when you see it, make online communities a more fun place to be." What is so extreme about that?
Exactly, which is why the gaming press should stop drawing lines in the sand and say "Gamers are the enemy, they are bad". That's what's kept this fire burning a week longer then it needed to be.
This has nothing to do with gaming press! These people who signed the letter were devs and executives at gaming companies!
When someone asks for peace, the people who won't allow it are very much part of the topic. Again, this would have ended a while ago and/or sooner if the places responsible for most info about videogames weren't purposely fanning the flames as much as humanly possible. I don't expect random anonymous people on either side to be level headed, that's fine, but I do expect the people who have made themselves the face of gaming news the last 5 years to not try and instigate things. They're acting like this is a school yard and their clique is collectively judging everyone who isn't a member. Because they're in a position of power, it is detrimental to the entire community. The community cannot heal until the inflammation stops.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
AstaresPanda said:
Nope same games we play together. L4D2 and TF2. Perhaps its less of an issue with the PC gamer community ?
perhaps these hateful people were never more than a minority and everyone exaggerated the issue
Often the minority in these cases that have the louder voice as everyone else is getting on with cappin points and pwning each other. Would say perhaps an age thing ? PC gamers seem to be older due to assumed cost of a gaming pc next to the assumed cheapness of a console.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Rocket Girl said:
The problem is, there are people making it a gender issue and there is a pervasive attitude towards women among far too many gamers that says most female gamers are "casuals". This is the attitude that leads to tiresome imagery and name calling, such as "fake geek girl", "girl gamer" and eventually works its way into "discussion" (I hazard to even use the term) of the so called booth babes and female cosplayers that know nothing about video games.

For an idea of how this attitude pops up, how it deforms into an issue of "most women aren't real gamers" and the like, just head on over to this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.848355-ESA-Survey-Finds-Nearly-Half-of-All-U-S-Gamers-Are-Female#20937854

I just read the first dozen or so posts on the very fist page this is what I found:
Aerosteam said:
And so, the cycle continues...

Seriously, "gamer" is such a vague term nowadays it refers to too many people- these kind of surveys are useless.
Are all these people raging sexists that think all women are fakes? I highly doubt it. But when women are so often expected to be "just casuals" the attitude starts to look rather ugly.
Uh... I think you misinterpreted what I said months ago since I have no idea how to contributes to the topic at hand but I'll say this:

I am not a raging sexist and have zero interest in whatever topic this thread is about.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
matrix3509 said:
Meanwhile, the trolls are furiously masturbating at all the attention they've received, and the games media and game devs alike get to have a guilt-free self-congratulatory wank over how they sure set those nasty gamers on the straight and narrow with the power of their self-righteous indignation.
what's your point? Perhaps an explicit statement might clear up some of the ambiguity left by your (assumptively) sarcastic remark.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Hero in a half shell said:
I agree, the amount of hatred about gaming is awful. Just look at these Twitter responses:

Devin Faraci - (Badass Digest)

KT Hache - (self proclaimed Social Justice Warrior)

K. Thor Jensen - (Videogames Journalist)

Adam Sessler - (Videogames Journalist)

Helena Horten - (Videogames Journalist for Vice)

Joel Golby (Videogames Journalist - Vice)

But gamers are of course the toxic culture.
Those examples are really great. It's kinda buffling. However, if I put 1% of the ones from the haters, one single page in the forum wouldn't be enough.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
perhaps these hateful people were never more than a minority and everyone exaggerated the issue
Does an activity in minority make it any more acceptable? Does ethnic cleansing, for example, become OK if only a minority of the Earth's population takes part in it? What of murder? Only a small proportion of any given population ever actually murders anyone else. Does that mean that people championing the cause of "less violence" should be written off because it's an exaggeration of a relatively small problem?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
erttheking said:
Yeah, that's not happening. I'm not crawling through 400 pages of barely contained rage, uncertain accusations and out of control emotions. It'd be like walking into the middle of a riot and trying to get an unbiased view on what was going on.

Please do take it with a grain of salt, of course, but much of what's asserted in the video is verifiable. Take that as you will.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Can you stop making political/ethical/philosophical statements and start making good games... like in the old times? Please?

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Wow, a lot of people with backwards opinion with way too much time on their hands here in this forum. This community is toxic, and it's not Game Journalism fault that it's that way. It's ours. Their responses are the appropriate amount of disgust to how we behave, or nearly as damning, what we don't say and allow. Sure, I can see it being often tactless (the ISIS comment), and maybe a call for more thought is in order, but their condemnation is right on the mark. We constantly ruin the fun and some cases lives, for thousands if not millions of people with our terrible attitude and behavior, or our acceptance of it.

A woman can't even play online for one hour without being sexually harassed, nor can she show up at convention and be accepted by all as a legitimate fan of the hobby, or criticize the content of a game without being threatened with assault, murder, and rape of her and her family. And that's just our issue with gender and their still race and sexuality to contend with, so yeah, we need condemnation, and furthermore we need to purge any and every person that thinks that any of the above is acceptable.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
AstaresPanda said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
AstaresPanda said:
Nope same games we play together. L4D2 and TF2. Perhaps its less of an issue with the PC gamer community ?
Often the minority in these cases that have the louder voice as everyone else is getting on with cappin points and pwning each other. Would say perhaps an age thing ? PC gamers seem to be older due to assumed cost of a gaming pc next to the assumed cheapness of a console.
maybe, tough i wouldnt dare say anybody playing dota 2 is over 12 years old hehe :)

theres harassment and hate in MOBAs, but its pure undirected hate, it has nothing to do with gender or race, if you are sucking in one of those games (or if everyone else is sucking but they dont want to admit it) you will get insulted

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
We're not an oppressed minority, anita and zoe do not have the powers of a lawyer so bad he got disbarred, and nobody is trying to ban games. Stop making shit up.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
God of Path said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Does an activity in minority make it any more acceptable? Does ethnic cleansing, for example, become OK if only a minority of the Earth's population takes part in it? What of murder? Only a small proportion of any given population ever actually murders anyone else. Does that mean that people championing the cause of "less violence" should be written off because it's an exaggeration of a relatively small problem?
i never said such thing

but maybe if gaming sites didnt generalize so much they wouldnt have created this huge division between them and their readers

also did you just fucking compare saying mean words on the internet to murder and genocide? seriously?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
I agree, the amount of hatred about gaming is awful. Just look at these Twitter responses:

Devin Faraci - (Badass Digest)

KT Hache - (self proclaimed Social Justice Warrior)

K. Thor Jensen - (Videogames Journalist)

Adam Sessler - (Videogames Journalist)

Helena Horten - (Videogames Journalist for Vice)

Joel Golby (Videogames Journalist - Vice)

But gamers are of course the toxic culture.
They are. Give them a taste of their own medicine and all that.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
james.sponge said:
Can you stop making political/ethical/philosophical statements and start making good games... like in the old times? Please?
We are passed the point of sweeping things under the rug. They can make good games sure but ignoring what is going on in the community they are creating is bad. Especially if it is filled with all this vile stuff. In a sense it is also their responsibility to try and make it a better place since they are the ones creating it. So no. Not until the vile behavior is snuffed out or negligible they can't simply just go back to making games and doing absolutely nothing else.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
i never said such thing
I misunderstood the purpose of your post, then.

NuclearKangaroo said:
but maybe if gaming sites didnt generalize so much they wouldnt have created this huge division between them and their readers
Thank you for clarification. However, while there is some anecdotal evidence of some disagreement "between [games journalism and its publishers] and their readers," it seems rash to make so certain a statement. That is, just how large is this "huge division"? Has any significant impact been had, other than to perhaps boost site numbers?

NuclearKangaroo said:
also did you just fucking compare saying mean words on the internet to murder and genocide? seriously?
well, after reading this:
NuclearKangaroo said:
it seemed as though the line of reasoning you proffered was as follows:
The issue is over-exaggerated
The people who were responsible were nothing more than a minority
Therefore the issue need not be addressed in such manner

which when one follows as a line of reasoning, one finds startling and unwanted consequences, like the justification for ignoring any act. This logic would entail a justification for willful ignorance to any heinous crime. All this shows is the extreme fault in this line of reasoning. It seems foolish to elaborate in so formal a fashion, but my previous attempt was misinterpreted to construe the equation of a written scuffle to genocide. My sincerest apologies.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Radical feminists? These forums are beginning to look like they've been taken over by some paranoid fringe far right movement. Corruption in journalism? Are you people even reading what you're writing? The open letter is the most reasonable thing ANYONE's said in this edition of the special olympics, and people are still unhappy?

"Oh noes, someone insulted a group of people dedicating their time to harrassing people, making dangerous threats, and exposing their personal life to the world, how unreasonable"

KazeAizen said:
They are. Give them a taste of their own medicine and all that.
They can dish it out, but they sure can't take it. It's pathetic really.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I bet if you put all the stupid things games journalists have said then compared that to all the death threats and stupid things gamers have said just against Anita it wouldn't even be close.

Look at any female game reviewer's comments and see how many comments are about her boobs or how pretty or ugly she is.

Look at the way gamers treated Carolyn Petit for her GTA 5 review.

Gamers have been treating reviewers and journalists like shit for so long it's not even comparable.

If you didn't engage in all the shitty behavior then I'm not talking about you, so don't bother me with your comments telling me how great you are and that it's only a handful of gamers that act like dicks.