Overated Movies

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
This thread makes me sad - it's unfortunate to see that so many members of the Escapist community have terrible taste in movies. Oh well, as they say, opinions are like assholes....

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
titaniumChampion said:
The Dark Knight.

My problem with this film is that it doesn't focus on Batman at all. It focuses more on the Joker. I don't mind the different take on the Joker, and my personal favorite Joker is Mark Hamill, but Ledger's role fit the franchise well.
Everyone knows (or should know) that Batman is the one of the least interesting characters in Gotham.

I think the plot was not as interesting or solid as the first one. It seemed to drag on too long. Nolan shouldn't have been forced to bring Two-face into the fray.
I can agree that it was probably too long and while I felt Two-face's inclusion worked, I would have preferred him to be left out if it would have made the movie shorter.

Perhaps I'm used to the formulaic plot of the hero showcased in the beginning. Conflict arising, and the hero fails initially. Add in plot narrative and bolstering of the hero's potential, and an epic final battle where the hero is victorious. While boring and typical, it has a point and wouldn't last 3 hours with unnecessary plot. I know the Joker is not a physical adversary, but the ending was weak. In the theater I nearly fell asleep with the boat detonator subplot.
Just because something is formulaic doesn't mean it is bad. Using a formulaic plot can leave the writers room to focus on some other aspect, and since The Dark Knight was arguably not (primarily) about the plot, I don't have a problem with it being formulaic.

Even though its not perfect, the Spider-man trilogy has the best examples of coherent superhero movie plots (3 definitely has its moments of pointlessness though).
3 was pretty uniformly bad. 1 and 2 were quite good. I'd also put Iron Man on the around the same level.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Julianking93 said:

Or really anything by James Cameron.
Indeed, they are. Avatar was an ok film, nothing were spectacular to me except some of the CGI.
[SUB]Some of the CGI's were just stunningly good, that's all.[/SUB]
James Cameron's movies = overrated.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
run_forrest_run said:
I watched the cray 88 scene and It reminded me of Tom and Jerry.
Then he succeeded. He was going for a cartoon style, rather than gritty realism.

As for me, I absolutely despise Avatar. Pretty pictures and all, but trite and pretentious. And not a single original line. "You're not in Kansas in anymore." "This, this is our land!" sigh...

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
SlowShootinPete said:
Xojins said:
SlowShootinPete said:
My guess is that you either missed the point of the movie or weren't paying attention very well when you watched it, or both. A lot of the things that don't make sense to you are explained in the movie, and the "flaws" you point out show a cursory understanding of the themes in the movie. I would suggest watching it again.
I've watched it several times. I have a four-year old sister and she loves Wall-E. I never noticed anything that explains why Otto is such an uninteresting character, why the plant is a logical plot device, why Eve has a gun, etc. I understand that it's a children's movie, but that doesn't excuse that the story is so flawed. The beginning was excellent, and the movie had so much promise. Perhaps I am missing something, but I can't see it for myself. If you can give any explanations, I'd be glad to hear them.
The movie is supposed to be a social commentary on the direction that humanity is headed. In this setting, people could no longer figure out how to get rid of their trash, causing the whole planet to become one giant junkyard. Eve's purpose as a robot is to seek out signs of life on Earth; due to the overwhelming amount of trash, plant life could not be sustained. Eve monitors the trash robots' (like Wall-E) progress; if she finds evidence of life, it is a sign that Earth is once again able to sustain life, which therefore would allow humans to start inhabiting Earth again. Why she has a gun is completely irrelevant to the rest of the movie, but I assume it would be why most robots with guns have them: to neutralize threats.
Also, AUTO is a robot. Not even actually, it's the ship's AI. It has a directive programmed into it, so it carries it out. Robots are never interesting when it comes to motivation (unless they develop consciousness, which couldn't actually happen).

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Hmmm, that's a toughie. I find it fairly hard to hate on a movie and films aren't that hyped here in Aus anyway.

If I had to pick one on the grounds of overrated in the sense that while everybody thought it was exceptional I thought it wasn't very good it would be The Dark Knight, admit it, Heath Ledgers death (Rest his soul) did blow the hype and praise for this film (Especially for the Joker's performance, but it's impossible to not act that character well, look at Jack Nicholson's joker, the guy's a great actor and he worked well with the role, Heath Ledger was nothing special but he worked well with the role) a bit out of proportion and there were some incredibly dry moments. But to be fair I thought it was better than the original.

If I had to pick one on the grounds of overrated in the sense that while I thought it was great (And in this case I'm talking like, top ten movies i've ever viewed) there are some people out there who analyse the hell out of it and act like it's the second coming it would be The Shining. I thought this movie was great but I've heard how people go on and on about it, analyzing every small detail and I see numerous spoofs in TV, movies and videogames. Hell, I even saw things like the original dresses the twins wore in the film and the typewriter and pages filled with "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" at an exhibition called colour me Kubrick in Melbourne a few years ago.

Melias

Jun 9, 2010
Hurt Locker wasn't great in my opinion. Total respect to the guys who do it but i dont like it as a film.
Also 2001: A Space Odyssey was the most boring film i have ever seen IMO and i had to sit through Sex and the City 2 with my gf!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
bismarck55 said:
kyosai7 said:
Hmmm movies I find overrated

Watchmen: Seriously. A boring movie about guys in spandex and masks that tried to be dark and serious. Seriously, even in the awesome animated MArvel and DC flicks, you get the occasional joke. This movie just sucked. You couldn't pay me to own Watchmen.

The Dark Knight: Batman Begins was okay, but this just sucks. The Joker was boring, the action sucked, and Batman's voice was laughably bad. I cracked a smile hearing him talk. I also fell asleep from boredom...

Scarface: Yeah, this is just boring....

I hated the first Terminator. T2 was okay...

Also wanna throw in:

Monty Python: Anything by them. they just suck. I'm not a fan of British humor to begin with but seriously, how can ANYONE find this crap funny?! Seriously, I'll take the Mighty Boosh or Look Around You over ANYTHING with the horrible name of "Monty Python"

I also found Spaceballs funny, but not worth the hype.
We see you trollin'... Really though, Dark Knight, Watchmen and Monty Python among others? The Joker was boring? My expections were in the stratosphere, but I was blown away by Ledger's performance. You can't expect people to actually take you seriously after that. It's almost as if you picked all the geeky stuff that you figured people on a site like this would love... huh.

I mean I thought that the ending of Dark knight was kinda lame, but the movie was excellelent. Also, how can you comment on Monty Python if you don't like british humour in the first place?

You have to admit, it looks a little suspicious.
Perhaps it may look suspicious, but I admit I just didn't like Watchmen. I downloaded it, watched it, and the entire time I was watching I just didn't like it. It's like I said, they looked like they were afraid to let a joke slip out of fear of not being dark enough. I never have finished Dark Knight, as I fell asleep in the middle. My mom had bought the dvd and me and a friend decided to pop it in. I honestly consider viewing that movie a waste of my time.

The Monty Python bit was rather pointless, I suppose, since I said that I don't care for british humor, but I just don't see why people find it funny. Monty Python comes off as a British Tyler Perry in my eyes. Putting out crap that isn't funny, but people will buy and laugh anyway, just because the name is attached to it. I admit I've never sat through Holy Grail, as it never interested me, I did check otu a "Best of Monty Python" dvd box set from my local library a couple years back and didn't laugh once. I got the jokes, they just weren't funny. About the only British comedy show I've ever really liked was "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

I'll list off some movies I have liked though:

- Star Wars Episode VI (all 6 of them are okay to me, but I don't care for Episode 2 or 5. I really only like Episode 1 for Qui Gon and Darth Maul. RotJ is just my fave)
- V for Vendetta
- Hulk Vs Double Feature
- Mortal Kombat
- Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny
- Clerks 2
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
- Casshern
- Almost anything by Hayao Miyazaki
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete (the extended Blu-Ray release. REALLY makes it an overall better film, and explains things much better!)
- The Killing Machine (easily my favorite Sonny Chiba film)
- Spawn

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
If it came out in the last 10 years & it didn't get negative reviews, it's over rated, especially if it's a comedy. Also anything by Pixar or Disney.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
likalaruku said:
If it came out in the last 10 years & it didn't get negative reviews, it's over rated, especially if it's a comedy. Also anything by Pixar or Disney.
thanks for reminding my about Pixar. I've just never lied any of their movies. Toy Story, WALL-E, A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., I've just never liked any of them. Except The Incredibles, that was a good movie.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
The Godfather. I read the book and loved it but found that the films were too wrapped up in its own hype. Also, needing to put subtitles on whenever Marlon Brando spoke took the piss.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
kyosai7 said:
likalaruku said:
thanks for reminding my about Pixar. I've just never lied any of their movies. Toy Story, WALL-E, A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., I've just never liked any of them. Except The Incredibles, that was a good movie.
Ditto. & Wall-E...I have to put earplugs in whenever my uncle pops in that DVD.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
kyosai7 said:
bismarck55 said:
kyosai7 said:

Watchmen: Seriously. A boring movie about guys in spandex and masks that tried to be dark and serious. Seriously, even in the awesome animated MArvel and DC flicks, you get the occasional joke. This movie just sucked. You couldn't pay me to own Watchmen.

The Dark Knight: Batman Begins was okay, but this just sucks. The Joker was boring, the action sucked, and Batman's voice was laughably bad. I cracked a smile hearing him talk. I also fell asleep from boredom...

Also wanna throw in:

Monty Python: Anything by them. they just suck. I'm not a fan of British humor to begin with but seriously, how can ANYONE find this crap funny?! Seriously, I'll take the Mighty Boosh or Look Around You over ANYTHING with the horrible name of "Monty Python"

We see you trollin'... Really though, Dark Knight, Watchmen and Monty Python among others? The Joker was boring? My expections were in the stratosphere, but I was blown away by Ledger's performance. You can't expect people to actually take you seriously after that. It's almost as if you picked all the geeky stuff that you figured people on a site like this would love... huh.

I mean I thought that the ending of Dark knight was kinda lame, but the movie was excellelent. Also, how can you comment on Monty Python if you don't like british humour in the first place?

Perhaps it may look suspicious, but I admit I just didn't like Watchmen. I downloaded it, watched it, and the entire time I was watching I just didn't like it. It's like I said, they looked like they were afraid to let a joke slip out of fear of not being dark enough. I never have finished Dark Knight, as I fell asleep in the middle. My mom had bought the dvd and me and a friend decided to pop it in. I honestly consider viewing that movie a waste of my time.

The Monty Python bit was rather pointless, I suppose, since I said that I don't care for british humor, but I just don't see why people find it funny. Monty Python comes off as a British Tyler Perry in my eyes. Putting out crap that isn't funny, but people will buy and laugh anyway, just because the name is attached to it. I admit I've never sat through Holy Grail, as it never interested me, I did check otu a "Best of Monty Python" dvd box set from my local library a couple years back and didn't laugh once. I got the jokes, they just weren't funny. About the only British comedy show I've ever really liked was "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

- Star Wars Episode VI (all 6 of them are okay to me, but I don't care for Episode 2 or 5. I really only like Episode 1 for Qui Gon and Darth Maul. RotJ is just my fave)
- V for Vendetta
- Hulk Vs Double Feature
- Mortal Kombat
- Clerks 2
- Casshern
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete (the extended Blu-Ray release. REALLY makes it an overall better film, and explains things much better!)
- Spawn
Casshern was pretty cool. Not many people know about that one I think.

But anyway you've convinced me that you just have really different taste, and are not just trolling. Not that my opinion is important or anything. It's just hard to tell if someone is sincere sometimes.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
bismarck55 said:
kyosai7 said:
bismarck55 said:
kyosai7 said:

Also wanna throw in:

- V for Vendetta
- Hulk Vs Double Feature
- Mortal Kombat
- Clerks 2
- Casshern
- Spawn
Casshern was pretty cool. Not many people know about that one I think.

But anyway you've convinced me that you just have really different taste, and are not just trolling. Not that my opinion is important or anything. It's just hard to tell if someone is sincere sometimes.
Yeah, it's just another side effect of the Internet. I can also see why people would find Avatar overrated, but I gotta say I just really loved it.