Pachter: Dragon Age III Pushed Back Due To The Old Republic

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Irridium said:
Good.

Dragon Age 2 felt really, really rushed compared to Origins, no doubt due to the very short development time. A longer development time is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
Technically yes but what this seems to suggest is that the push back won't add development time at all. They're stopping work on DA3 to go work on ToR, then they'll come back to DA3. Dev time will remain the same or worse, shortened.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hey, it's that guy again. That analist. That's what they call people who talk out of their ass for a living, right?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Not much in the way of news, when you consider Bioware has one full studio in Austin people working on TOR, and their main one in Edmonton working on ME and DA. What possible reason could there be to divert people when there's no need for it?

IMO, this analyst doesn't understand game development or basic logistics.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Good, I still need time to heal the wounds DA2 inflicted on me. I'm still indecisive when it comes to deciding whether I want to buy DA3 or not but for some reason, I'm expecting it to be more akin to the DA2 I can't stand than the DA:O that completely won me over.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
You know I weep for Bioware.

They made KOTOR, Baulders Gate, Jade Empire, Origins, and Mass Effect 1.
Now all they are known for is being an EA owned subpar RPG maker.

Its kind of deserved though since their games have just kept getting worse.
ME2 was okay, DA2 was meh, and ME3 was crap.

They cut corners, drop characters and plots at will, and forget what fans came for originally.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
satsugaikaze said:
Uh, Command and Conquer: Generals 2, anyone?

Another 2013 Bioware title. Probably a much more likely candidate given it's not a Bioware mainstay series.
The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
If pushing it back means that they'll focus properly and release a good game, then I don't mind waiting at all.

That's not really the feel I'm getting out of the news here though.
Ilikemilkshake said:
Technically yes but what this seems to suggest is that the push back won't add development time at all. They're stopping work on DA3 to go work on ToR, then they'll come back to DA3. Dev time will remain the same or worse, shortened.
This is what I got out of the article as well and it worries me...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Once again, Capitan obvious Pachter has come to save the day.

The delay means nothing other than it will be some time till I play DA3 which has been rushed. Just because it has been delayed doesn't mean that they'll spend more time developing it but in fact the opposite is more likely to be true.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
animehermit said:
Not entirely accurate, the space combat mini-game in TOR was designed by a different studio, although I'm not sure if it was in Edmonton.
I find that incredibly unlikely, given that Bioware Montreal is ME, and SF and Victory were not formed in time for it then (plus different properties, SF = EA2D, and Victory is like EALA/Pandemic/Westwood folks probably).

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Blind Sight said:
The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.
Eh, Bioware schmioware.

captcha: am I happy?

Not incredibly, but thanks for asking, website.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I'd rather bet on EA being reluctant to continue the franchise after DA2 halved the fanbase.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hopefully they're pushing it back because DA2 was incredibly lazy and/or rushed and poo.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Given the ... interesting path the Dragon Age continuity is going I can only say one thing.

Jade Empire 2 please!

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Well its not that inaccurate, DA2 expansion got canned earlier in the year, so why not delay the sequel if you are binning the expansion.

Might work out for the best, Maybe they'll have a good long hard look at DA3 when they get back to it after they've recovered from ME3 and the Star Wars MMO.

I love DA:O, but DA2 felt like a chore... mind you it didn't upset me to the point that it upset others, but its something i was glad to have bought second hand.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
This seems like a good idea, as much as I liked Dragon Age 2 there is a very noticeable feeling that it was kind of rushed (I always had the feeling that the folks at Bioware had just finished making the big, important bits of the story and were starting to flesh out the rest when someone lost their mind and moved up the release date like 4 months and refused to move it back). So the more time they spend on DA3, the better.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If Dragon Age 2 had been given another year it would have truly been a worthy sequel to DA:O (I still liked it, but it had far too many issues), if this is indeed the game that has been delayed I am not going to complain.