Pachter: Dragon Age III Pushed Back Due To The Old Republic

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
And BioWare's Dragon Age series is neglected for TOR, a MMO that already looks like it's gonna fail in doing what people said it was going to do.

... No offense, but I really, really hope TOR falls so BioWare can spend more time on Dragon Age and any new IPs.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Bullshit, it was pushed back because now they know what people's standards are like after ME3 blew up in their faces.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
tmande2nd said:
You know I weep for Bioware.

They made KOTOR, Baulders Gate, Jade Empire, Origins, and Mass Effect 1.
Now all they are known for is being an EA owned subpar RPG maker.

Its kind of deserved though since their games have just kept getting worse.
ME2 was okay, DA2 was meh, and ME3 was crap.

They cut corners, drop characters and plots at will, and forget what fans came for originally.
I dont think Mass effect 3 was crap, ending aside it was a worthy end to the trilogy

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'll wait, Bioware. I'll buy it hot off the shelf if you show restraint and do the job that all but the last 20 minutes of ME3 was, or that DA:O was. DA2 was far too fast, and it desperately suffered. As to whether they're moving to TOR or not, I'll not speculate, but if it means a better quality DA3 game for them taking a step back from it for a minute, I'm okay with it.

Also, how does Michael Pachter still have a job? Dude's a terrible analyst.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Vault101 said:
I dont think Mass effect 3 was crap, ending aside it was a worthy end to the trilogy
Ending aside, it was a worthy end is kinda LUL worthy, don't you think?
i.....hmmm...poor choice of words

it was a worthy 3rd entry in the series

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Sadly, I'm completely over anything Bioware, and it is all because of Mass Effect 3's ending being made by/for lobotomized rocks. I didn't hate DA 2, except for the fact that it took them 2 or so years, and they "forgot" to have more areas... Just the same one over and over, maybe with a closed door. I could have forgiven that, and indeed, I did. ME3 just made me no longer care about any Bioware game.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
oldtaku said:
Reassigning DA3 people to work on Old Republic. Great, so DA3 will be another lazy asset and location reuse-fest. DAO: Explore the world! DA2: Explore a single city! DA3: It's a locked room mystery murder!
Don't make fun of the setting; it's a brilliant setting... Just poorly written and designed. Spending 10+ years in the same city could translate into some choices having some long term consequences your average RPG couldn't encounter due to engine problems...

Along with other mechanics that could have been an off-shoot to the fact your a noble or something to do with using magic in sight of a Templar... Sadly Bioware did none of that but yes; abuse the writers not the setting.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well...my first thought was "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--WHY?!" because I loved DA:O (Haven't played the second one). But after reading the comments, I'm actually glad they did. it's true, if taking longer with a game means it will be awesome, then take as long as you want, guys.

...I still need to finish Origins and II anyway...

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Blind Sight said:
satsugaikaze said:
Uh, Command and Conquer: Generals 2, anyone?

Another 2013 Bioware title. Probably a much more likely candidate given it's not a Bioware mainstay series.
The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare_Victory

Oh God, you're right.
EA are tricky bastards, they know that Bioware's probably their most 'respected' (for lack of a better word) developer and are milking their name with whatever they've got. Plus, announcing that a Bioware studio is developing an RTS game makes the headlines write themselves. It's quite clever in a very dastardy way, you've got brand recognition and marketing generated by the general oddness of it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Blind Sight said:
lacktheknack said:
Blind Sight said:
satsugaikaze said:
Uh, Command and Conquer: Generals 2, anyone?

Another 2013 Bioware title. Probably a much more likely candidate given it's not a Bioware mainstay series.
The main Bioware studio isn't actually developing it, EA just renamed a development studio 'Bioware Victory' and got them working on it. It's just brand recognition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare_Victory

Oh God, you're right.
EA are tricky bastards, they know that Bioware's probably their most 'respected' (for lack of a better word) developer and are milking their name with whatever they've got. Plus, announcing that a Bioware studio is developing an RTS game makes the headlines write themselves. It's quite clever in a very dastardy way, you've got brand recognition and marketing generated by the general oddness of it.
I love how they actually call it "Bioware Victory".

But I'm not going to join the "EA Is Dastardly" conga line on this issue quite yet. If C&C:G2 turns out to be bad, then I'll join, but maybe they'll shove out a good title with non-draconian security.

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
I was under the impression that TOR came out of the Austin studio and that Mass Effect and Dragon Age both come out of the Montreal studio with some pre and post production assistance from Edmonton. I'm sure there's a lot you can do over video conferencing but the extra time it would take would be prohibitive unless it was purely short term (maybe a month or possibly 3 at the most). If anything it would make more sense for some of the DA team being re-assigned to help with the ME3 DLC. I guess they could be sent to the US for the short term for TOR but the relocation costs would again be more than ideal.

If there has been a team re-assignment I think it more likely that it's members of the DA team being pushed into development of Jade Empire 2 (my pick for this year's VGA announcement)but honestly I have no issue with DA3 being in slow development because it'll give the writers some time to perfect what they want to do and allow for more changes to make the game better.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
Quiet Stranger said:
And now I'm going to ask, Star Child?
The Star Child, having never been mentioned in the series, appeared at the very end of Mass Effect 3 depicted as the specter of the child that Shepard watched die on Earth at the beginning of the game, cosmicly transparent hoodie and all. He showed Commander Shepard how to use the Ending-tron v3000.1 after giving a very weak explanation as to why he has been murdering trillions for the past hundreds of thousands of years and why he has decided to let Shepard decide what to do.

I have to be honest, I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about the entire controversy and I think that Mass Effect and Bioware are both horribly overrated, but having watched someone stream the ending, I can tell you that it felt as awkward and rushed as you could possible imagine. Painkiller had a more coherent storyline.
...and yet, in the Dragon Age universe, you potentially have the Old God Baby spawned when Morrigan shagged a Grey Warden on the eve of the final battle. In so doing she may have conceived an infant with the soul of the dragon god Urthemiel. So, if a mysterious all-powerful child does turn up in part 3 it could quite consistent with the canon.

Damn you BioWare! You did the right plot twist, just in the wrong series!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
No, DA2 pushed back DA3
Either that or their busy rewriting the ending to make it "safer" and editing out the dragon child.
i c wat u did thar...

Anyway, I don't care when it comes out, they'll always be games I want to play out there to pass the time. Just make sure that when it does come out, it's actually finished.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*reminisces about the olden days when i WOULD'VE GIVEN A F***!!!* D:

edit: captcha "describe this with any words in your mind"

: "annoying"