Pakistan Bans Facebook Over "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day"

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
And people said the irish were a bunch of whiners because of some news article about RDR. This just tips the scales

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Legion said:
The internet doesn't really have a "home base" so to speak. Blocking a website that would be deemed offensive to a large amount of the population isn't infringing on the rights of anyone outside that country.

If Facebook banned that page in Canada, then you'd have a valid reason to get up in arms about it.
I was referring to the Islamist reaction to depictions of Mohammed in general, not this particular story. I suppose I should have mentioned that.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...cant say imn surprised. After what happened to that newspaper dude and he now has people trying to kill him...

One nation that seriously over-reacts...dont see Israel banning stuff of depictations of Jesus...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
IMO Facebook has lost a lot of respect, it should not be "blocking" anything at govermental/cultural request. What's more I believe people should be forcing information through because that's what the spread of ideas is all about. Just as I am against the idea of "national firewalls" I'm against this.

Scream if you want, but one bit of American rhetoric we should follow through on is to police things like this and prevent the blocking of information.

The entire stunt sort of falls flat if it doesn't reach the people it's directed at.

Ah well, I hope Anonymous is paying attention and decides to take the collection of images, hacks through any barriers, and pastes them all over the Muslim world in response, so you can't even call a local Mosque's website or order a new Turban without seeing 5 or 6 images of Mohammad looking back.... not only would it make an epic point, it would also generate the most epic lulz imaginable.

We can always hope, they did eventually get involved in the situation in Australia, and I like to think despite them (in their own words) not being a positive force, that they had a postive effect in getting rid of Atkinson, along with creating some second thoughts about the national firewall (which was their major purpose). :p

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I agree with billion to an extent. Their beliefs should not have an entire country be blocked from a page.

CountArioch said:
Billion Backs said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Mohammed would be disgraced to see what has happened to Islam now.
The core of Islam is of love, not slaughtering millions.
That's what every religion says while they murder you slowly.

Of course, considering all the rules just about every religion has about what one can and can't do, their version of "love" probably isn't worth it either.
Are you kidding? You get 4 wives, who are allowed to be bisexual. Plus, their religion tells them to attend to your needs first before their own.

Granted, if you're a woman that sucks. As a man, I gotta say the Muslim version of love looks pretty darn good :p.

And all the people who are screaming about "FREEDOM OF SPEECH I'LL DRAW MOHAMMED ALL I WANT RARGRARG" would be saying the same thing if they weren't anonymous. I am not trying to argue that people who think it's okay to kill other people over religious arguments isn't a problem, but I AM saying that the internet makes people 150% more gutsy then they would have been in real life.
I would do it in real life, and I have. Don't assume everyone is only a prick over the internet, because I enjoy being one in real life too XD

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Anything that can repel terror I gladly side with any day, any circumstance.

No one deserves to be threatened to death. Not even the most horrible of persons.

I'd be glad if this side would inspire more people to show that these ways of terror won't fucking do.

Seems it didn't inspire the most important of people though... A shame.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
If I recall correctly, not only is Mohammed a sacred figure for the muslims, in a way like Moses for the Christians, but their religion also forbids them to attempt to recreate his image. Thus the aforementioned South Park episode and the consequent facebook nonsense directly insults the muslim believers. Feel free to correct me if you know the facts better.

That was the one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is that banning facebook for this sounds like a power play on the side of the Pakistan authorities, but also something inevitable if they want to keep face value. As for the different treatment of Pakistan and India, I'm going to be an optimist and say that India simply approached the problem differently, hence they get what they want without much fuss and social network limitations.

edit: And the death threats, believe it or not, those come from muslims that misunderstand the point of their religion. Islaam is in fact a peaceful religion, it's the way it can be interpreted that may lead to terrorism.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
CountArioch said:
Billion Backs said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:

Of course, considering all the rules just about every religion has about what one can and can't do, their version of "love" probably isn't worth it either.
Are you kidding? You get 4 wives, who are allowed to be bisexual. Plus, their religion tells them to attend to your needs first before their own.

Granted, if you're a woman that sucks. As a man, I gotta say the Muslim version of love looks pretty darn good :p.

And all the people who are screaming about "FREEDOM OF SPEECH I'LL DRAW MOHAMMED ALL I WANT RARGRARG" would be saying the same thing if they weren't anonymous. I am not trying to argue that people who think it's okay to kill other people over religious arguments isn't a problem, but I AM saying that the internet makes people 150% more gutsy then they would have been in real life.
So what if in real life more people would be too afraid to express themselves? How is it any better? Internet is a great thing because it makes it harder to terrorize the speaker into accepting one's ideology, whatever it might be.

That should be seen as a GOOD thing, not something to make fun of. Technology allowed us to transcend some of the restrictions certain dominating ideologies have exerted upon us. (And do consider the fact that just about every monotheistic religion has something along the lines of "Kill all the unbelievers", whether followers accept it or not. Islam, Christianity, not 100% on Judaism although it seems likely) It allows people to speak out against the bully, to rally a movement instead of being beat down in fetal position before they could gain momentum.

Also, less seriously, I fucking love pork. And don't think any religion or ideology should have anything to say on how many people you choose to live with and fuck as long as they agree... But then again, that last part doesn't really matter when it comes to Islam and the way they treat women.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
SteelStallion said:
I still think the page should just be removed though, it would save a lot of headache.
So you think that the opinions of one group of people should be censored for the sake of convenience? That is one slippery slope you are on the edge of.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Billion Backs said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:

Kinda the point as to why I've never really been a very religious person.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
They have computers in Pakistan???

Seriously though, that's the problem with the WORLD wide web. It's a single entity that blankets many regions with different ideologies. It seems that it has fallen upon the lowest common denominator to dictate the ideas and corporations are bending over backwards to comply because it's technically a "nitche" market.

Feb 18, 2009
Jaredin said:
Well...cant say imn surprised. After what happened to that newspaper dude and he now has people trying to kill him...

One nation that seriously over-reacts...dont see Israel banning stuff of depictations of Jesus...
Yes, Israel - that Jewish state. They really get upset over people making fun of Christ.

Also: Facebook do take down groups if they think it's going to cause them loads of trouble (read: lawsuit). My friends made a group called 'Fuck Shia LaBoeuf' and it got taken down for inflammatory attacks against a person. I would have thought this group would count as an inflammatory attack against a notoriously touchy faith. Weird they're sitting on their high horse about it.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Phoenixlight said:
lol @ Pakistan, south park has drawn jesus and other religious figures without any christians or other people complaining.
There's nothing in the Bible about not being able to make images of the holy gardener or the man Mary cheated with to make him. Only in Islam is there such a restriction, the problem is that the fringe of the Muslim religion is far more reactionary and violent than the fringes of other religions worldwide, hopefully, as with the other Abrahamic sects they will mellow out over time.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Legion said:
While I agree with most of what you say, I do feel that I should point out that nobody would be forced to read the page or anything. Sure it's pathetic, but it's completely avoidable by anyone who wishes to, so banning the site is just as stupid.
That's a good point, and one I agree with. A friend of mine recently updated his status on facebook, commenting on the statuses of his fellow Muslim friends;

"With your status updates regarding boycott facebook for the group 'Draw Mohammad Day' you've actually helped them to get the attention they were seeking for. If there's something wrong and or offensive, you leave it...try not let others to know abt..so it won't become a big deal as not many of us will know abt it. Way to market something you weren't suppose to."

I still think the page should just be removed though, it would save a lot of headache.
Please explain to me what is exactly wrong with the page?

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
asinann said:
...the problem is that the fringe of the Muslim religion is far more reactionary and violent than the fringes of other religions worldwide...
Exactly. Also, other religions tend to marginalize their extremists. There is a reason the Westboro Baptist Church is almost universally looked upon with scorn. In Islam, however, the nutjobs are running the asylum... and some of the countries.

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
Here, I'll make it simple for you:

India is a secular country with Hindu majority at about 80% of the total population and Muslims being the largest religious minority with about 13% of the population. Pakistan, on the other hand, is an Islamic country with 97% population being Muslim, and only about 1.8% Hindus. Diplomatic relations between the two are defined by the history of the violent partition of British India into these two states, and numerous military conflicts and territorial disputes thereafter, with displaced populations on both sides.

This is why Indian authorities requested that the page be blocked there. So take it up with them, not Facebok.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
adrakonis said:
Isn't Youtube also banned in Pakistan? I read that in the papers last saturday.
If you actually read this article, you'd see that in there as well.