Pandaren Join World Of Warcraft In Next Expansion

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to drop my warrior for a Pandaren Monk, and I LOOOOOVE my warrior. The Asian aesthetic of it all, I'm in love with it, partly because of how I was raised traditional Chinese and I love the culture.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
POKEMON IN WOW! FINALLY A WAY TO USE OUR PETS! DAMN! YEAAAH!!!!! ^_^ WOOOHOOO

sry im just too happy about the new expansion. So much awesomeness...acount wide achievements now i can make an alt without throwing all my hard hours of work on my priest.

Pets daaaamn...my fat collection will finally pay off. I hope the collector pets and blizzcon pets act like epic pets with higher stats. Like the pokemon legendaries :D

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I just can't get excited about Mists of Pandaria. While the pokemon-esque battles is probably the single most interesting idea Wow will introduce, there are many other decisions that have me shaking my head. I have a Collectors Edition of Vanilla and all of the expansions, but this is the first expansion I am seriously considering passing on.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Don said:
While the pokemon-esque battles is probably the single most interesting idea Wow will introduce, there are many other decisions that have me shaking my head.
Such as? No really, please elaborate.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Why don't they make the next expansion about the titans or about The lich king(bolvar) cause hes not dead and the helmet will still be controlling him.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Don said:
While the pokemon-esque battles is probably the single most interesting idea Wow will introduce, there are many other decisions that have me shaking my head.
Sure. They only just tweaked the talent trees for Cataclysm, now they are doing away with them entirely. Classes are getting complete overhauls. New resource systems for Warlocks, Shaman totems being changed, and even Hunters are losing their melee weapon. I dislike how you will be able to get Valor points from doing 'daily quests' for those so inclined. Other decisions from Cata are being reversed, such as dungeons going back to the quicker 'Wrath' style instances, as well as Scholo and Scarlet Monastery being given the level 90 heroic mode.

Aside from the companion battles (and I would love to get my Mini-diablo battling), the other feature that has merit, is the timed dungeons with normalized gear, even though I don't like the idea of having leaderboards.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Erana said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
the World of Warcraft Pandaren can be either Horde or Alliance,
So, either they're going to have a gaping continuity hole here with Alliance and Horde Pandarens being unable to understand each other, or will the pandaren language be cross-faction?
You asked the very first question that popped up in my head when I read about the "choose your faction" bit. Blizzard has gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent direct cross-faction communication (they actually altered how typed player dialogue appears in order to defeat an add-on that was allowing it) so I have to wonder just how this particular issue gets settled.

Also, it's a pity Goblins can't be Monks. I'm just picturing a little green pinball ricocheting off the faces of enemies with fists and feet flying.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
WoW Pokemon actually sounds like something, if it's done right, that'll bring me to WoW.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Don said:
Loop Stricken said:
Don said:
Sure. They only just tweaked the talent trees for Cataclysm, now they are doing away with them entirely. Classes are getting complete overhauls. New resource systems for Warlocks, Shaman totems being changed, and even Hunters are losing their melee weapon. I dislike how you will be able to get Valor points from doing 'daily quests' for those so inclined. Other decisions from Cata are being reversed, such as dungeons going back to the quicker 'Wrath' style instances, as well as Scholo and Scarlet Monastery being given the level 90 heroic mode.

Aside from the companion battles (and I would love to get my Mini-diablo battling), the other feature that has merit, is the timed dungeons with normalized gear, even though I don't like the idea of having leaderboards.
Fair enough, but;
They haven't removed talent trees, more that they've just truncated them further. It's in line with their Diablo 3 ethos, and I personally don't think it's going to be a massive problem.

Warlock resources are... well again I can't see how it's such a problem. The introduction of soulshards as a cooldown went down well, if memory serves. I'm playing a Destro lock at the moment and I'm wondering why I have to deal with souls when all I'm doing is burning things to death.
Personally I see it as a decent foil against the constant claims of zOmg homogeny levelled at WoW lately. Which brings us to...

Shaman totems.
Not going away, being revamped. Putting down buff totems is boring, so they removed buff totems. Instead your totems will actively do things when you drop them, like deploy shields, root, or repel enemies.

SM is a lv80 heroic but fair enough, you don't seem to like rehashes of old dungeons. Oddly, the revamps of Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines are supposedly the best-received of the Cata dungeons.

Challenge dungeons; this I liked. Aesthetic gear to transmog into show how uberleet you are is a nice touch. Don't like the leaderboards? Ignore them. I know I will.

Maybe I'm being a wee bit too overzealous in defending this expansion choice, but know this; as soon as it was announced, AS SOON AS, I was gutted. I thought, for fuck's sake, I don't want bloody pandas!
But, the rest of the expansion looks very good. The level designs are excellent and this time you'll get to SEE them instead of just fly over them. We've only had a tiny bit of information about this expansion, and I'm just sick of seeing "WoW is dead" posts on every forum.

Give it a chance. If you don't like it, show Blizzard by unsubscribing (and more importantly, not continuing to ***** about the game on the various forums).
Can't see past the drunken pandas? Really your own problem, and it's not like WoW is bereft of comedic races, for what are goblins and gnomes if not this?
Think that Blizzard is too busy catering to casuals? one, they're a company and they aim to make money. Two, casual isn't synonymous with bad, but most bads are casual; I've seen more than my fair share of piss-poor raid-level players.

Somebody mentioned an expansion revolving around Bolvar the Lich King.
No.
His job is now to sit there and make sure the Scourge don't mindlessly swarm over everything. He even refers to himself as the jailor of the damned. [sub]Or someone does, it's been a while.[/sub]
besides, in one of the fluff novels it's described how Arthas basically excised the spirit of ner'zul from the helm and took his powers for himself, or somesuch. So no ghostly maddening whispers in that pointy hat, just the massive responsibility of keeping the zombies relatively contained.

Now I've forgotten where I'm going with this.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
When my buddy told me about this expansion i thought he was pulling my leg.

Sigh Blizzard you keep disappointing me. SWTOR here i come

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Erana said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
the World of Warcraft Pandaren can be either Horde or Alliance,
So, either they're going to have a gaping continuity hole here with Alliance and Horde Pandarens being unable to understand each other, or will the pandaren language be cross-faction?
You asked the very first question that popped up in my head when I read about the "choose your faction" bit. Blizzard has gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent direct cross-faction communication (they actually altered how typed player dialogue appears in order to defeat an add-on that was allowing it) so I have to wonder just how this particular issue gets settled.

Also, it's a pity Goblins can't be Monks. I'm just picturing a little green pinball ricocheting off the faces of enemies with fists and feet flying.
As they said at Blizzcon, they're not sure themselves how they're going to deal with the language issue. But from how they've been portraying the Pandaren as fun-loving people who just go with the flow, maybe they'll just pinkie-pie-swear not to give any superspecial tactics to the other faction. Whilst beating each other's faces in. Whilst being massively drunk.

And as far as goblin and worgen not getting to be monks, that's likely because they've just had their expansion, and best not to make them and their fancy higher-polygon models even more desirable.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Andothul said:
Sigh Blizzard you keep disappointing me. SWTOR here i come
It's funny you say this. Funny as in strange; A lot of the complaints being levelled at this WoW expansion are that with the PvE scenarious and pet fighting system, that Blizzard are just copying SWToR.
Also SWToR's embargo has been lifted and the reviews are... middling.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
The thing that I find most upsetting about this expansion is the fact that Pandaren can be both Alliance and Horde. The whole Alliance vs Horde, each race having to pick a side, is great and I feel like this craps on that concept. Each race had it's own unique look and vibe which went towards building the image of the larger faction and now that image is less distinct.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
dagens24 said:
The thing that I find most upsetting about this expansion is the fact that Pandaren can be both Alliance and Horde. The whole Alliance vs Horde, each race having to pick a side, is great and I feel like this craps on that concept. Each race had it's own unique look and vibe which went towards building the image of the larger faction and now that image is less distinct.
I sort of understand this concern, but the way I see it; it has a red name or a differently-coloured flag. Hit it until it falls over.
... this can be troublesome in fights with mind-control mechanics.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
dagens24 said:
That's pretty trivial, imo.
In fact, the way races are arbitrarily forced into either horde or alliance is highly unrealistic, almost to the point of breaking immersion.
In any case, what race someone belongs to is a non-issue as I apply axe to face.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Denamic said:
In fact, the way races are arbitrarily forced into either horde or alliance is highly unrealistic, almost to the point of breaking immersion.
You say that but up until Cataclysm it made sense.

The Alliance is the Alliance, the clue is in the name, of the humans, night elves and dwarves. Gnomes tagging along because they're useless comic relief teaming up with dwarves.

The Horde is basically everyone else. Orcs arrive from Draenor, cause a ruckus, become not-evil but still villified. Team up with trolls, team up with tauren, accept the undead because the humans can't make nice.

Come Burning Crusade, spacegoats crash their magic spaceship and join the Alliance because paladins, basically.
Blood elves join the Horde because the Alliance won't accept a bunch of fel-magic addicts, also they have draenei now and belfs and draenei have been having a bit of a ruckus apparently.

Then we get Cataclysm, and the Alliance accept a bunch of cursed infectious werewolves.
The Horde accept Goblins because... their leader kidnapped Thrall? Never been too clear on that myself.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
People act like wow is dying, as if. I have little doubt this expansion will outsell the last and gain tons of subscribers back, as well as new ones. 9/10s of the naysayers are vocal minority. Once the expansion launches, I'll refer back to this post.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Burying the lead here a bit. Honestly once the whole panda thing washes over. The big story here is going to be the pokemon battles. I was watching the stream with a bunch of friends on steam, and it got to the point where we were all convinced that it was a joke. The live audience was actually laughing as the presenter was working through the features of the system. But all the interviews since then have treated it totally straight so it must be real. The battle interface looks exactly like Pokemon, the player stands next to the pet across a small arena from the other, you have 4 mapped abilities, the battles are turn based, and your pets will level up, each pet has unique individual stats, and can be found in specific places around the world some only at certain times of day. There's even a pokedex, that gives a blurb about all of the various pets tells you what its base stats are and where you can find them.

Oh and one of the buildings they showed in the announcement trailer at the beginning clearly has a pokeball engraved into the entry arch. I commented on it when we were watching it, and realized that it was deliberate when they told us about the pet battles later.

The copying is so wholesale blatent that i frankly will be shocked if Blizzard does not face a copyright lawsuit from NIntendo.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
How exactly is this going to get by in China? Blizzard didn't release these panda men before because of the Chinese frowning on dead Pandas. Has that changed?
thats an urban legend. There's no issue with Panda's in games in china. Bones however they do have issues with. In order to release Wrath of the Lich king in china Blizzard had to remove every single exposed bone in the game. And for an expansion about zombie hordes, littered with skull and death motifs it was a process that took about 2 years.