PC Gamers Beat Console Crowd to Bad Company 2 Vietnam Map Unlock

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Well, in the consoles' defense, the PC version came out a couple of days before the console version.
They only started counting the day the console versions were released.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
vallorn said:
just as a point i think they should remake BF:2142 with the new engine... mainly because of Titan fights with destructible buildings would be all kinds of awesome.
Oh... Fuck... YEAAAAH! *Orgasms so hard he gets split in two*

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
insanelich said:
BUT PC GAMING IS DEAAAAAAAAAAD!
Yes, you keep on ignoring evidence to fit your preconceived notions.

Now we all know why this is. Because console gamers only have 12 buttons and PC gamers have a hundred, allowing them to set hotkeys to these team actions. Console gamers took so long because they probably have to pull up a menu or something to do these team actions and they would rather just kill people.

I've never played this game, can you tell?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Cvstos said:
Canid117 said:
Thee Prisoner said:
Canid117 said:
loc978 said:
Canid117 said:
Does the game still run like crap on normal PC's? Ran like garbage on mine because of the particle effects and I will not play unless I can turn the damn dust effects down so I can play without lagging horrifically every time a grenade goes off.
Define a "normal" PC...
How about an HP in the $900-$1100 range.
The problem is just stating how much the computer costs doesn't really tell us much on why you are having these issues.

Lag can be caused by your internet connection and/or your graphic card abilities, bad drivers and etc.

If you can at least give us the model number of your computer we might be able to help. Pre-made computers are notorious for having bad to average graphic cards and/or chips.
My internet should be fine. I can play Team Fortress 2 without any lag and the times the game would lag in BFBC2 was when stuff blew up. My Chipset is an ATI mobility Radeon 4200 series with an M520 series CPU at 2.30 GHZ according according my system information on control panel. All of this is running on a one year old pavilion. I had gone on forums and there were numerous complaints that the game ran poorly on mid range computers and that it would probably be better after a few patches but I have yet to check if performance has improved at all on my machine. System requirements labs says I should be able to run it fine if I turned down the graphics and it would have too if I was just able to turn down those damn particle effects. They are a nasty resource hog and I honestly do not mind if a dust cloud looks a little unrealistic if it means my game runs smoothly.
Waaaaaaait a minute. "Mobility" graphics card. "Mobility" CPU. And you're comparing BC2 to TF2?

Hate to brake it to you, but that's... crazy. TF2 needs only a 1.2GHz CPU, BC2 a *dual core* 2Ghz CPU. TF2 can run on any card from the GF5 series or better, while BC2 requires a 7800GT, which way outclasses the GF5 series. The system requirements for BC2 are way higher.

Also, and this is KEY, take a note on the back of the BC2 box. "Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported."

"Mobility" chipsets ARE laptop versions of those cards. They sacrifice *substantial* processing strength for much, much greater power efficiency.

And your CPU is ALSO a "mobility" variant. Less processing strength, higher power efficiency. But that also means less performance on games.

Is this a laptop? That's the only reason I could see you having spent $900 (USD) on that machine. If it's a desktop, you got hosed, BAD. $900 can get you all the parts you need for an actually-fairly-powerful gaming computer these days. There's no excuse for a $900 desktop system having a mobility card short of that price including some stupid-huge monitor, which would defeat the purpose of having a stupid huge monitor since you need a more powerful GPU to drive gaming graphics on that! I mean, look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-recommendation-upgrade,2803-2.html

$100 can buy you a decent GPU these days. Moving up to around $170 nets you something in the GeForce 460 class, which should run just about any game you want buttery-smooth.

Remember: Laptops are significantly less powerful than their desktop counterparts. They are like this to consume less power and have better battery life. As such, they don't run games very well. Dollar-for-dollar, a desktop is always going to be substantially more powerful than a laptop. It's not mobile, but that's the trade-off. There's a reason these gaming companies put that "not supported" warning for laptop chipsets on the system requirements: they're just not powerful enough to run some of these games as they're meant to be played.

If you're running a desktop, I'd say at least upgrade that GPU (remember to make sure your system can run it! these strong GPUs need a strong power supply!). But also consider getting a new system, and this time talking to a gaming geek or, shoot, this community on what kind of computer you can get for your money. They'll lead you down if not the best path then certainly a better one than the path that got you mobility hardware for $900. Sheesh.

If you're running a laptop... hate to break it to you, but you really can't complain as long as it runs. Remember, your hardware isn't even officially supported, it's a relief it runs at all. If you really want to run it well, get a desktop. Even if you gave me just $600, I could build you a system that would utterly smoke anything with a "mobility" graphics card.
I thought the words mobility and pavilion would be a bit of a hint.

The TF2 comment was about my internet connection. My internet shouldn't be the problem it is the hardware I was worried about. I booted the game up last night and it did run better after some tweaking and setting its resource priority to high but the Ping was still hanging around 250 which is awfully high for any other online game I have ever played on this machine.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Most people on consoles dont even know how to play like a team unless your on each others friends list.

Thee Prisoner

Apr 28, 2010
Canid117 said:
Cvstos said:
Canid117 said:
Thee Prisoner said:
Canid117 said:
loc978 said:
Canid117 said:
Does the game still run like crap on normal PC's? Ran like garbage on mine because of the particle effects and I will not play unless I can turn the damn dust effects down so I can play without lagging horrifically every time a grenade goes off.
Define a "normal" PC...
How about an HP in the $900-$1100 range.
The problem is just stating how much the computer costs doesn't really tell us much on why you are having these issues.

Lag can be caused by your internet connection and/or your graphic card abilities, bad drivers and etc.

If you can at least give us the model number of your computer we might be able to help. Pre-made computers are notorious for having bad to average graphic cards and/or chips.
My internet should be fine. I can play Team Fortress 2 without any lag and the times the game would lag in BFBC2 was when stuff blew up. My Chipset is an ATI mobility Radeon 4200 series with an M520 series CPU at 2.30 GHZ according according my system information on control panel. All of this is running on a one year old pavilion. I had gone on forums and there were numerous complaints that the game ran poorly on mid range computers and that it would probably be better after a few patches but I have yet to check if performance has improved at all on my machine. System requirements labs says I should be able to run it fine if I turned down the graphics and it would have too if I was just able to turn down those damn particle effects. They are a nasty resource hog and I honestly do not mind if a dust cloud looks a little unrealistic if it means my game runs smoothly.
Waaaaaaait a minute. "Mobility" graphics card. "Mobility" CPU. And you're comparing BC2 to TF2?

Hate to brake it to you, but that's... crazy. TF2 needs only a 1.2GHz CPU, BC2 a *dual core* 2Ghz CPU. TF2 can run on any card from the GF5 series or better, while BC2 requires a 7800GT, which way outclasses the GF5 series. The system requirements for BC2 are way higher.

Also, and this is KEY, take a note on the back of the BC2 box. "Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported."

"Mobility" chipsets ARE laptop versions of those cards. They sacrifice *substantial* processing strength for much, much greater power efficiency.

And your CPU is ALSO a "mobility" variant. Less processing strength, higher power efficiency. But that also means less performance on games.

Is this a laptop? That's the only reason I could see you having spent $900 (USD) on that machine. If it's a desktop, you got hosed, BAD. $900 can get you all the parts you need for an actually-fairly-powerful gaming computer these days. There's no excuse for a $900 desktop system having a mobility card short of that price including some stupid-huge monitor, which would defeat the purpose of having a stupid huge monitor since you need a more powerful GPU to drive gaming graphics on that! I mean, look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-recommendation-upgrade,2803-2.html

$100 can buy you a decent GPU these days. Moving up to around $170 nets you something in the GeForce 460 class, which should run just about any game you want buttery-smooth.

Remember: Laptops are significantly less powerful than their desktop counterparts. They are like this to consume less power and have better battery life. As such, they don't run games very well. Dollar-for-dollar, a desktop is always going to be substantially more powerful than a laptop. It's not mobile, but that's the trade-off. There's a reason these gaming companies put that "not supported" warning for laptop chipsets on the system requirements: they're just not powerful enough to run some of these games as they're meant to be played.

If you're running a desktop, I'd say at least upgrade that GPU (remember to make sure your system can run it! these strong GPUs need a strong power supply!). But also consider getting a new system, and this time talking to a gaming geek or, shoot, this community on what kind of computer you can get for your money. They'll lead you down if not the best path then certainly a better one than the path that got you mobility hardware for $900. Sheesh.

If you're running a laptop... hate to break it to you, but you really can't complain as long as it runs. Remember, your hardware isn't even officially supported, it's a relief it runs at all. If you really want to run it well, get a desktop. Even if you gave me just $600, I could build you a system that would utterly smoke anything with a "mobility" graphics card.
I thought the words mobility and pavilion would be a bit of a hint.

The TF2 comment was about my internet connection. My internet shouldn't be the problem it is the hardware I was worried about. I booted the game up last night and it did run better after some tweaking and setting its resource priority to high but the Ping was still hanging around 250 which is awfully high for any other online game I have ever played on this machine.

To be fair regular HP desktops do use the pavilion name and all-in-ones desktops or mini desktops use
integrated graphics or mobility chips.

Even though this is OT, it's a good reminder about laptops and how well they perform(not always well) and issues with certain games. Cvstos was a little harsh in his response but has a good point on laptop chip sets that are not supported.

250 ping is a bit high. Many years ago while on dialup, I had less then 250 ping for online games. hehe

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Hilarious the amount of people claiming that there are more people playing on on the PC.

Someone already posted the stats and PC gamers have nearly half the playtime.

So no your excuse of "there are more PC players!", "it's discounted on Steam!", etc don't fly.

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
PeePantz said:
Being released to the PC a few days before obviously gives them an unfair advantage. By the time the challenge date of the console release, PC gamers have already gathered enough steam and had more people come back to the game. New players have also had three days prep. Also, they've had a chance to get the feel of the game such as maps and weaponry.
Derp, they didn't start counting numbers until the 21st, including PC version.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
zombays said:
PeePantz said:
Being released to the PC a few days before obviously gives them an unfair advantage. By the time the challenge date of the console release, PC gamers have already gathered enough steam and had more people come back to the game. New players have also had three days prep. Also, they've had a chance to get the feel of the game such as maps and weaponry.
I suggest you reread my post. I'm well aware.

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
PeePantz said:
zombays said:
PeePantz said:
Oh, yes, I did read your whole rant, but your first sentence is what I'll pay most attention to.

Jun 11, 2008
PeePantz said:
I don't think knowing maps helps with pressing a button given that the game has already been out all the necessary equipment should be availabe to people unless they got the game new.

Hybridwolf said:
Erm...a person I know said it's a load of bollocks that the PC market won because they had severs purely for team based actions. Whereas, the 360 players are stuck waiting to join games which have five people on each team. Doesn't help you can only comminicate with your squad, no one else. Still, at least the console players will get their eventually.
You can't really complain about PC gamers doing that. Besides in any games I have been in nearly everyone spots every target they see anyway I know I always spot before I shoot. I know this is off topic but this is why every system should have dedicated servers as those problems you have wouldn't exist. I am not say that if they did do this it was right I didn't see any but if other platforms did have it I am sure they would of done something similar.

Geo Da Sponge said:
Hang on, don't you have to unlock repair tools, ammo boxes, health kits and defibrillators? You did in Bad Company 2. So doesn't that mean that PC gamers were still at a huge advantage for having the game a few days earlier? The only other explanation that seems logical to me is the same reason people can get achievements so quickly on TF2 :p.

I'm not getting sore about this since I don't own the game on any platform, but I find it hard to believe that there's such a huge discrepancy purely because PC gamers are 'more team friendly'. Especially if the statistic that PC gamers have less time clocked on the game in total is true.
Well I took a quick look at the website to make sure. Now regardless if there were boosting servers the 360 is better for Repairs and Revives. Although that could be given a higher player base but yes they do have higher in that place. PC has highest in resupplies and spots. PS3 doesn't have highest in anything.

Kukakkau said:
Yeah all I'm gonna say is it's easier to hack your stats on PC...

Either that or bad company suddenly became a PC hit overnight - it was always referred to as being designed for consoles and PCs just getting a port so I don't see how that can happen...

Anyway good for them they unlocked content early - medals all round
You can't hack your stats on PC..... You could if you were desperate get your friends on a private ranked server which would be expensive as you would have to buy one pay for it and password it or you could join one with no people and then otehrs would join see the problem with it? I am not saying there was no boosting done as t here probably was but you still can't hack stats.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
zombays said:
PeePantz said:
zombays said:
PeePantz said:
Oh, yes, I did read your whole rant, but your first sentence is what I'll pay most attention to.
Rant? Less than four lines of text is now considered a rant? Did the expansion get released to the PC before consoles? Yes. Although the competition didn't start until the 21st (which was the console release date), PC gamers got a jump to, summing it up, "fine tune" their play.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Glademaster said:
I don't think knowing maps helps with pressing a button given that the game has already been out all the necessary equipment should be availabe to people unless they got the game new.
All the maps were new. They added new guns and new vehicles. I know that my skills increase with practice and better familiarity. Also, a ton of players stopped playing and only came back when the add on came out. There's bound to be rust.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
To those who say that PC players are all team-players and godly...
Left 4 dead 2...

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
strangeotron said:
What a fucking dumb idea locking content that i've paid for is.
you could use that same logic for any game that contains locked content in the form of:

"You must do something to get this."

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I would have loved to fight for the cause alongside my PC brethren, but unfortunately EA has decided I can't use my CD Key and so I can't play Vietnam expansion. Sorry guys.

Jun 11, 2008
PeePantz said:
Glademaster said:
All the maps were new. They added new guns and new vehicles. I know that my skills increase with practice and better familiarity. Also, a ton of players stopped playing and only came back when the add on came out. There's bound to be rust.
I see what you mean but is not about kills it is about team actions. You are basically given all you need t o start doing team when you start the game at level 1 which is spot. Refilling ammo and health and repairs is given on your first rank up which I got in about 3 full games when I got the game. So I don't think getting this early is as much as an advantage as you think given that it is team actions and everything is available so early. In fact people being rusty and getting stupid deaths probably increased the rate this goes up given defibs.