PC gamers..how are you enjoying Origin?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
snagli said:
Tell me, have you ever eaten a banana?

Only when you take a bite it turns out it's made of plastic.

And it's filled with poo.

And if you ask the guy you bought it from he just says "You bought it, it's your problem now".

If you have ever done that, then there's no need to repeat it by using Origin.
Funny. That pretty much sums up 80% of my interaction with Steam. Want to contact customer support? Create separate account. Send them a mail. Wait 3 days for response that asks You for additional details. Send the details. Wait another 3 days for next e-mail. Fun!

Oh. New game out! Let's buy it! Oh not available in my region, even tho it's on shelves in B&M shops and requires Steamworks to run. Great. Why have digital distribution if I have to buy boxed?

Oh. A discount. From 49 euro to 29 euro. You know... it's still more expensive than at local B&M because 29 euro is average price for new game in Poland. Because Valve refuses to use local currency.

DrSpoy said:
I think you might be wrong here. its not because its not "our beloved steam" its because of that whole scare about it digging through your files. Its also the fact we have to get another program on our computer (possibly just for one or 2 games), and the fact that its practically forcing us to get it to get some of the new EA games. Just my opinion, at least they could've done a much better job of just announcing it and making sure they have a decent amount of sales.

Variation = Good. Forcing us to get something because you want to compete = bad
As proved by tech-savvy people. The file scanning is limited to certain folders that contain data about installed games. It's mostly badly optimized and it doesn't even read the files unless the file is important for the software to run. Just scans the names and filepaths.

As for forcing the software..could say it about every game that requires Steamworks to work. I didn't get it because I wanted to play Valve game. I didn't get it because I wanted to. I got it because a game by third-party company forced it on me.

bahumat42 said:
Keava said:
I'm not using it much, but i must say their customer support is 10 times faster than Steam. The few times i had to contact them to fix my order i got in chat with the rep in 2-5 minutes and they fixed my issues right away.

Plus, as opposed to Steam, EA let's me pay in my currency, which means 30-50% cheaper games.
origin charges more than retail and online retailers, i saved about 36% by going through game uk than using their service. Keep your eyes peeled on other places for savings.
Still cheaper than steam tho. Yeah, my local retailers charge me less because pretty much every retailer in Poland gives about 5-10$ discount if You order through their website. But it means I either have to take a bus to the shop or pay for delivery so all in all compared to Origin i save maybe 2$ on new games. Older (6 months+) is different story of course.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
If Dragon Age 3 turns out to be any good and not a *expletive deleted* DA2 was I'll consider it. Until then, not a chance. Solidarity & spite.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
I keep a cluster of garlic within the vicinity of my computer. Seems to be doing a good job at keeping Origin away.

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
Keava said:
Like I said, the scare. Not whether or not it was true, false, or all that big or small. The scare of it alone is enough to make a lot of people not want it. Its that easy.
As for steam forcing theirs, well, its sort of expected at this point. Its a big digital distributer, theres not much to it other then that, really. It just seems annoying though at this point that companies want me to have 3-4 different online stores for no apparent reason.

As for problems with steam, I live in America, so those problems generally fly on by without me noticing. Although thinking about the problems, yes I can agree, that is BS on steams part.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
another thing that origin does better than steam: no region locks. if steam doesn't allow me to play the games i legaly own where i want, when i want, they can go fuck themselves. seriously, valve people. die in a fire.

origin lets me play my eastern european keys when i travel to my second residence in germany, no questions asked. that's how it's supposed to work, damn it. now i just hope singleplayer titles like ME3 and DA3 and such will run in offline mode. then steam has been outdone in every regard for me.

all this white knighting of steam fanboys is pretty annoying though..

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
Kathinka said:
another thing that origin does better than steam: no region locks. if steam doesn't allow me to play the games i legaly own where i want, when i want, they can go fuck themselves. seriously, valve people. die in a fire.

origin lets me play my eastern european keys when i travel to my second residence in germany, no questions asked. that's how it's supposed to work, damn it. now i just hope singleplayer titles like ME3 and DA3 and such will run in offline mode. then steam has been outdone in every regard for me.

valve people die in a fire? Might be taking it a bit far, maybe?

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Vault101 said:
soo.....Origin

good?

bad?

terrible?

I havnt had the pleasure of using EA's "wonderful" new service, so Im curious to know how you guys are finding it? is it as bad as i seems? is it "ok"?

tell me your experiences
As much as I enjoy using Steam.
Read as: I don't notice it at all.

It's not the anti-christ. EA may be but Origin is just a program that sits on my computer waiting for me to start it so I can play Battlefield.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
From a user standpoint all I can say is it's pretty much identical to Steam. I don't find it any more or less intrusive. The sales and prices on it fail in comparison (though there are rare instances when games are cheaper on Origin than on Steam) and the game selections are still very limited.

All and all my experiences with Origin have been extremely positive.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
DrSpoy said:
Kathinka said:

valve people die in a fire? Might be taking it a bit far, maybe?
maybe. then again, they kinda would have brought that onto themselves. when i buy a game from my hard earned money, and then i travel 90 miles west to my second residence and steam tells me that i can't play said games, steam support basicly tells me to fuck off and buy new copies of this games...
everything that breaks their monopoly is good in my books. because with this they crossed the line from draconic into the territory of needles batshit insane evil.
however, they will unfortunately be arround much longer, because they have a bazillion mindles fansheep that swallow every piece of crap that they get fed without thinking as if it was a gift from god, and then praise steam as the best thing ever.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
EA's got nothing in its roster to make me justify using Origin. If they don't trust people to the point of feeling the need to monitor them like hawks through what has been flatteringly called spyware, then I have no reason to pay them to continue; no one's games are worth that kind of hassle.

I'm no fan of Steam either, by the way, but at least most of its games can be played without it running.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Keava said:
Kyle 2175 said:
It's okay. I have little intention of using it to buy anything, but it works well enough, far better than Steam did at launch. The interface is clean and simple; the downloading is as fast as anything else. It's certainly nothing special, but I don't see why people are avoiding it like the plague.
Because it's not their "beloved" Steam. People really need to realize we need much more competition on digital distribution market if we ever want to have base game price to go down. Currently the only 2 that people speak of are Steam and Origin, but there is GameStop's Impulse, Desura (indie games), GamersGate (mainly for UK people), D2D and GoG (classics and soon indie games). That's not really all that much compared to all the retail chains world wide that sell games.

Monopoly = Bad. Variation = Good.

The idea is to buy the game where You get the best offer. That way You give other services a sign that They could improve.
Except that Origin is just a giant pile of spyware. I want some of the games they offer so bad. But I'm more willing to buy an xbox or ps3 (or borrow / rent one) and play through ME3 then I am to install Origin

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
If Origin does anything on my computer that isn't Origin's buisness then I don't want it. Same reason I don't use Facebook.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Very briefly used it with bf3 and it honestly doesn't work very well.... Badly made but not terribly and it's just minor things. Still, it's bad.

I don't like that it spies on you either, I also deleted my facebook account (only relevant if you wanted to say "but how can you complain about it stealing your privacy when you use facebook?) but when I think about it... I want mass effect 3 and I can't think of a single thing on my computer that would really hurt me in any way if people knew I had it so I am going to get mass effect 3 dammit.

I can always get a crack for origin when the game comes out though... my business is still my business.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Keava said:
Kyle 2175 said:
It's okay. I have little intention of using it to buy anything, but it works well enough, far better than Steam did at launch. The interface is clean and simple; the downloading is as fast as anything else. It's certainly nothing special, but I don't see why people are avoiding it like the plague.
Because it's not their "beloved" Steam. People really need to realize we need much more competition on digital distribution market if we ever want to have base game price to go down. Currently the only 2 that people speak of are Steam and Origin, but there is GameStop's Impulse, Desura (indie games), GamersGate (mainly for UK people), D2D and GoG (classics and soon indie games). That's not really all that much compared to all the retail chains world wide that sell games.

Monopoly = Bad. Variation = Good.

The idea is to buy the game where You get the best offer. That way You give other services a sign that They could improve.
On the contrary, Origin = monopoly.

It's only a varied choice when you can still get a digital game from Steam, Gamer's Gate, D2D, etc. EA is instead pulling their new games and linking them to Origin only.

If this crap catches on, we'll have a dozen DD-clients for every publisher in PC land and you cannot get a specific game elsewhere.
Say goodbye to cheap sales and customer rights. EA is already banning people from the (singleplayer)games they bought legitimately and they're getting away with it.

If Steam, D2D or GG pisses you off, you can get exactly the same library of games from a competitor. EA doesn't care if a small percentage of their customers gets completely shafted, because it won't affect them. They even make you sign away your rights to a class action lawsuit when you use the service, so the duped cannot band together.

The fact that Origin doubles as spyware is only further insult to injury.

I don't even blame EA so much for trying anything they might get away with (they're running a business afteral), but I blame the sheep who don't care about pissing in their own well, because it works on the surface.

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
Origin's pretty much like STEAM only less dependable and without the sales and small game count. Haven't had any problems with it, doesn't weigh on my computer and so far it's been functional.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Still standing strong and not using it after saying I wouldn't, until the hardware and software scanning becomes as optional as it is with Steam. Would love the be playing Battlefield 3, but I am taking a stand here. Still not a big fan of being forced to use one of these clients when I buy games from retailers, both Steam and Origin.

And for those saying that from peoples testing it only looks at a few things on your computer so far, or Facebook is worse. I don't care how little it looks at, if it looks at anything and then forwards that info to EA without my express permission, no sale. For Facebook I hardly ever use it and the info I put on their (very little) was my decision. Facebook does not forwards detail of all the software I have on my computer. As for the super cookies that allow them to follow you round websites, there are Firefox plugin's that nip that in the bud straight away. So for me Facebook is not higher on my personal priority list of things that are going to invade my privacy than Origin.