People who've never taken alcohol or drugs

DiscoRhombus

Jan 6, 2014
My girlfriend has never used any sort of recreational drug. Personally, I've used a large number and I don't see what the fuss is about as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. I've cut down on my drug usage massively since meeting her, only smoking every now and again. I would never encourage her (or anybody else) to do what I do.

EDIT:
Evil Smurf said:
My view on alcohol is this:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/12caec259590056aea8138a930902b3f/tumblr_mocxs3WfLz1qjpxbbo1_500.gif

I'll say this, I like to have a drink every weekend (with friends), usually getting drunk, only because I like the taste though.
As for drugs, I've had enough experience with them to know that alcohol is all you need in a drug. Alcohol is great, it brings people together and makes bad music bearable.
I have to say though - this is a huge fallacy. Alcohol certainly isn't all you need in a drug. It's more harmful than many other illegal or controlled substances and the detrimental social implications of binge drinking in terms of violent crime states and A&E admissions means it doesn't bring people together.

Sure it may according to your own anecdotal evidence, you and your friends may feel closer thanks to your shared drinking sessions/nights. But it is a drug that causes all sorts of problems with impulsive behaviour and can often lead to ugly (if not always physical) confrontations between friends or strangers.

theboombody

Jan 2, 2014
I've never taken alcohol or drugs, but not for moral reasons, because I'm inherently immoral. I genuinely like being a bad guy, the worst of the worst if possible. But I decided to be the worst scum on the planet in a G-rated way, just for the extra challenge of it. It's like a badge of honor (or dis-honor, whatever you want to call it). Alcohol and drugs are not G-rated. So I haven't done them. They are useless to me since they do not help me progress in my objective. I make fun of people who use drugs and people who don't use drugs, because that's just the way I am. But I don't plan to do so on this forum, because I don't want to be kicked off.

G-rated Shock Value - "No bad Words. Just bad ideas."

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Alcohol, for me it is a minor thing. The most I drink is a one cider on the weekends and possibly one sip of the Frangelico (or Nutella liquor as I call it) during the week. Other then that, I don't drink much out of those zones and if I do it is pretty damn rarely. I do it for the taste, but I don't want to drink too much because I have no idea what would happen to me if I did, it tis a scary thought for myself.

For drugs, never taken them and never will. This includes smoking, but the biggest reasons for this too is bodily damage and possible damage to the people around me, I don't want to put them in danger to make myself more 'relaxed' or 'feel better' in any way. The other reasons are because of my moral standard, I just don't see that they are good unless it is for medical purposes.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I've never bothered with either. Putting aside legality, I just have no interest. I like my head as clear as possible, and even the smell of alcohol is unpleasant to me. Not sure how much of that is ingrained in me by a billion heavy-handed adds predicting doom, but I don't really suspect I'm missing all that much, nor do I care much if I am.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Maybe an incredibly rare case but never had any drugs, alcohol, ill be honest ive tried it but find it disgusting, so yeah thats me

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
No drugs, no smoking and no alcohol unless you count a handful of sips over the years, either when someone claimed this was an alcholic drink I might actually like (I didn't) or when I hadn't realized it contained alcohol (in which case I stopped drinking pretty quickly, because I didn't like the taste, then checked the label).

I've never liked the taste of any of those things that I have tried, and the idea of getting drunk doesn't appeal to me at all, so I'm not about to force myself to drink something I don't like to experience something I don't like.

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
Part of it is "The idea doesn't seem fun to me", part of it is that employers tend to frown on that sort of thing (at least with drugs). Actually had a friend that got turned down for a gov't job because he admitted to using, a long time ago, on his application thing. Admittedly, that seems unfair, but I don't see that policy changing any time soon.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Little Gray said:
Can somebody please explain the "dont like the taste of alcohol" comment that a lot of people seem to be making. There are so many different kinds of liquor and beer and they all taste so different. I could name more then a dozen right now where you can not taste the alcohol in the slightest bit.
Well for me personally, I can probably tell you it's because I haven't tried a lot of varieties. And that could be because I have no idea what are the right ones.

So far all I've tried has been disgusting. With maybe like one little exception. Or two. If one doesn't know what to look for, it's just a matter of trial and error.

And eventually, you just might get lazy and decide you can't be bothered hunting for tasty alcohol so you just ditch the stuff altogether.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
rhodo said:
I do believe a person who willingly takes drugs is a person who doesn't understand neurobiology. Or a person who doesn't have respect for their body.
Whats your opinion of prolific mathmeticians, biologists and psychologists advocating drugs, Are these people lacking in judgement/knowledge? Do theories like double helix DNA structure and subconscious not hold up, Freud and Crick both have their drugs to commend for these realizations.

Are you unwilling to take cough syrup for a cold? Dextromethorphan in it can cause irreversible damage to the speech centers of the brain! Would you take painkillers for a broken limb? Well have fun with your liver failure and ulcers! It's not that drugs are entirely good, nothing is, but sometimes they are the best remedy. They are not going to cause addiction and irreversible damages when used responsibly. They are not going to make people into immoral savages. A degree of caution must be taken, but if certain ones where made legal the society would only benefit.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
17 and never tried alcohol, drugs, smoking, anything. Medical, though, I am on two types of medicine atm for my infected piercing, but for recreational use? Never.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I don't drink or use drugs of any kind (aside from coffee, I am hopelessly addicted to coffee).

For the drugs, it was simply a matter of not having any inclination. I hate it when I'm spaced out on cough medicine, I can't imagine intentionally doing that to yourself if there wasn't a good reason for it.

As for alcohol.... well, lets just say I have a family history and I wanted to break tradition. Nuff said? good.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
Medicine wise, I did took some for my headaches but that's all.

I've never taken or drunk any drug at all in my life just for the heck of it. (Alcohol is a drug).

Speaking about this kind of stuff... I also never swear until I was 19 years old. I swear commonly now when I'm mad/upset enough.

Dann661

Aug 3, 2010
I only drink at parties and don't smoke cigarettes, but my weed consumptions is through the roof, mostly because its so easy to get and do with mates, and its not even a bad drug, when did you last hear of someone ODing on weed? I've done MDMA a few times and probably will do again, but it's something I approach with at least 2 weeks planning so we don't get caught (by police of otherwise), and to make sure that we don't have more than necessary to prevent any unfortunate incidents. I don't see the big deal as long as you're not reckless with it. (I'm 17 but 18 this month (WHOO!))

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
I had a sip of beer once when I was a kid, but I thought it was gross and never drank the stuff again. I also dislike the taste of grapes so I never really drink wine (I have tasted it though, it was even worse than beer). I've never taken drugs for recreational purposes, though sometimes I get sick and have to take cough syrup or headache pills, but that's about it.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
rhodo said:
Have you ever overdosed on cough syrup? Yes, simple, innocent cough syrup. Try that. Drink an entire bottle of it. Heck, I think half of it can be enough.

Try it.

Looks like you don't know the difference between "you're forced to take this drug in small dose in order to cure a disease", versus "ahahah I'm taking this drug for the lulz!!".

Heck, back in the days people said tobacco was healthy and "doctors advised on smoking tobacco to cure from cold". Recreational drugs are to modern days what tobacco was in the 40s, and leeches in the '800.
Hmm my varying opinion is reason enough for you to promote a substance with permanent brain damage side-effect. How nice. I'm sorry champ but I've spent many hours on erowid

We both have our opinions and our facts supporting them, no amount of biased logic will change either of us. On a parting note I was of similar mindset until I took my first trip, needless to say its changed. Best of luck.

theboombody

Jan 2, 2014
I wonder if most grown people who never drank or did drugs are virgins too. I was until I turned 28. I loved being a virgin. I bragged about it all the time. Because I was not a virgin for some goody-two-shoes reason. I was a virgin because I wanted to draw attention to G-rated Shock Value. Because I love being G-rated and I love being bad. I never want to be bad or good in an R-rated way. And I don't want to be good in a G-rated way either. I actually want to be more bad than R-rated people without doing R-rated things.

Man, I was like the best in the world at abstinence. I should have gotten a championship belt for it. Maybe I did. I forget.

G-rated Shock Value
"No bad words. Just bad ideas."

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I've had sips of wine to taste it (never liked any of it) but beyond that I've never drank. Alcohol is expensive, most of it tastes rotten and I don't socialize in the kinds of setting where it really plays a role.

Never tried drugs, for no particular reason. It just doesn't interest me.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
I've had alcohol once, mostly to be polite to the family I was staying with (for a study abroad program) at the time. Even then, I'm incredibly paranoid about anything that affects my state of mind, so I've never even been buzzed, yet alone drunk. One side of my family has a history with alcohol addiction, and I'm just stubborn enough that I don't want to know how hard it'd be to kick something like that. The other side has naturally weak lungs and smoke cigarettes despite that. Seeing the ugly long-term effects its had on their health is enough to make me never want to go anywhere near the damn things, not to mention that the secondhand smoke alone can give me migraines.

Fortunately, my immediate family never got out of hand, and for the most part either completely or partially kicked their respective vices long before I was born. However, it meant that I was kind of raised in a very "anti-drug" kind of household, and I was never really curious about trying them myself. I'm a little more open-minded now about others' use of recreational drugs nowadays, so long as it doesn't hit life-ruining levels. However, I don't think I would ever want to use them personally.