People who've never taken alcohol or drugs

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
When it comes to drinking, I'm more a social drinker. Generally not with family, except maybe a beer or glass of wine, but I don't get sloppy drunk. And really, I don't get sloppy drunk. I'm generally pretty in control, even when drunk, and I don't like the feeling of getting drunk and losing control. Tipsy is good enough.

Doesn't help that I know alcoholics. The less said on that, the better. Long story short, the best cure for a desire to drink is seeing others repeatedly make asses of themselves.

As for drugs, I haven't taken any. Ever. Been offered, but never tried any. And, I swear I had classmates, and probably even teachers, that probably thought I did drugs. Didn't help that I had friends that did drugs, and even they said I looked high as my default expression.

Anyway, I currently have a job that failing a drug test is a firing offense. Had it for a while and I can say I don't want to lose it. That's more than enough reason for me to avoid drugs. The loss of self control, doesn't help, either. Honestly, I don't need other reasons to avoid drugs, but that's enough.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
After drinking a single pint of cider I became very ill, so although I have tried it I don't drink alcohol. There's something about recreational drugs that I find completely repulsive. I don't really know why, but I have never tried them and think less of people who have. Perhaps I find the idea of people around me being in an altered state of mind scary, whatever the reason I am NEVER going near recreational drugs.

RoyalSorceress

Jun 15, 2010
I have never drunk, smoked or taken drugs. Why would I want to harm myself? My mom is very sensitive to smells (bad migranes) and I care to much about her to expose her to that.
Also I look at the amount of money those habits cost a think "Hell no, do you know how many action figures I could buy off ebay for that much?"
Yes, I'm addicted to plastic crack.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried various alcoholic drinks, but only small sips. I don't like the taste or the idea of losing control. I have never and probalby will never do drugs

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I've never done drugs simply because the idea has always seemed like a bad idea, to put it one way. I have had a drink or two but never enough to get me as far as tipsy, I've never understood binge drinking.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Having read the first page or so it looks like I'm one of the few that drink like a fish. Though there's a good chance that the type of thread brought out the nondrinkers. I'm loving my new scotch hobby, but I've never really taken to weed. I don't like the way it makes me feel. Going to sleep at noon seems like a waste.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I very rarely drink. At most I get a shot at New Years.(didn't happen 2 days ago though) Otherwise it's the very rare toast in which case I usually just take a sip, find the drink horrible and usually find a friend that's more then happy to take it off my hands.

Never touched recreational drugs.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Never done any illegal drugs. Not because I think they are evil, but rather because I (a) don't know where to get any, (b) have no real interest in figuring (a) out, and (c) don't want to risk my future as a district attorney.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I've been high on prescription drugs once; but that was for science, literally. I had to keep a journal and everything. I hardly ever drink and have never been drunk, and I have never taken recreational drugs. I can't stand the taste of alcohol, and I've just never really felt like doing drugs. I don't have any moral problem with drugs or alcohol and most of my friends do them. I just don't see the point.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
I'm in my mid-thirties now, so don't do drugs anymore. That's a young mans game. Besides, I only did the fun stuff like pills and pot.

I love booze, I enjoy being drunk with mates and I have very good sipping whisky at home. I must admit I am lucky, I do not get hung-over, never have. The worst I've ever felt was a little tired the next day. In my teens and 20s I could have all weekend guzzling sessions. Those are behind me now. I'll regularly have Friday beers with the boys, but it's usually 10 beers max these days.

That being said, I'd rather be with a load of (boring) none-drinkers than some twat who can't handle his beer. I can't stand 'chuckers' and violent drunks are the worst, pussies like that should drink cola.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I have absolutely no interest in either drugs nor alcohol. Alcohol smells like shit and I find no appeal in being drunk or high.

Not to mention that these are costly activities, and my gaming hobby is already expensive enough.

I'm also a fair bit cannabiphobic, so weed is off the table literally no matter what and I generally avoid those who partake.

The closest I'll ever come to substance abuse is my caffeine addiction.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I've never tried alcohol, my reasons for it are about as far from righteous or noble as they come, though. XD

For as long as I can remember, I have had an intense, all-consuming phobia of vomiting. I abhor it. when I have a stomach virus, I pray for death. Alcohol demands as recompense for its feel-goods that the imbiber vomit... thus, no amount of feel-goods would be worth the price.

Generally people bring up that you don't have to drink enough to vomit in order to enjoy alcohol, but why risk it, says I? Still others bring up that they, personally, have never been made to vomit from alcohol... all I can say is that my years of being my friend's designated driver has convinced me that if such people do exist, they're in a very tiny minority.

I've also never done drugs... but nothing quite as unique behind that. the risk-reward ratio just doesn't justify the cost in time and money trying such drugs would require. XD

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I like to be in full control of myself. Drugs take that away from you. Heck, I don't even take legal FDA approved drugs. As for alcohol, I can only become one of two different kinds of ***** drunk; A)Snarky party-pooper damn-kids-get-off-my-lawn *****, & 2)Hyperactive loves-to-break-things hold-my-beer trolling sadist.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ITs scary how many people here do not consider alcohol a drug.

I have tasted both nicotine and alcohol, however i chose not to consume either of the two. Same goes for coffee. I have never tried "hard drugs".
Drugs alter your brain state and i like mine as it is thank you very much. Also alcohol just makes me sleepy and the rest does not seem to have any effect.
I had a bottle of champagle on my desk during new years eve, unopened, just to troll people calling in via skype. That bottle was gifted to me 5 years ago and i never had a reason to open it.
Sadly we have a tradition to gift drinks at occasions here, so alcohol is stockpiling in my house since i dont actually drink it.

Fishcactus said:
I don't even like taking drugs for medical reasons, if I can live with the pain i'll just keep on going.
Very much the same for me, which is basically why i have a whole bunch of prescribed anti-pain medication that would be a treasure for any druggie left over in my house. some of it is probably going bad from old age. such waste.

loc978 said:
Can't really comment, since I drink occasionally and am looking into getting a medical marijuana growers license (to treat chronic pain from various injuries, because I have bad reactions to every opiod painkiller I've tried)... but I would like to point out that caffeine is a recreational drug. One that's very hard to avoid in any land full of pre-packaged food and drink. Most straightedge people I've met are heavily addicted to the stuff (to the point of getting the shakes during rare withdrawals), usually in the form of energy drinks.

...that's the only drug I've ever been addicted to. I find alcohol to be much less dangerous for me.
caffeine is extremely addictive and it has severe physical withdrawal effects. if they would go cold very likely they would be incapable of even walking for a few days. (usually hits peak after a week of going cold). Though i never understood the purpose of energy drinks. why would you drink them? Im glad to avoid caffeine altogether, thought admittedly its possible there are some traces of it in food i consume, like i know there are in one of the candies i like, but those are way bellow the dosages of people drinking coffe or so.

In Search of Username said:
I drink, but I have a couple of friends who're teetotal. They both say they just don't see the appeal. Don't see why they wouldn't but whatever.
Not trying to condone or anything. You say you dont see why cant they understand the appeal, so can you explain why does it appeal to you?

Juan Regular said:
Senare said:
6. I view consumption of it as a weakness.
Better watch out, you might hurt yourself falling down that mighty high horse of yours.
Drinking alcohol in moderation is by no means a sign of weakness in any way and looking down on others who enjoy a drink from time to time and calling them 'weak' is hands down idiotic.
Mild consumption is not weakness of course, but people who go to be hypnotized because they lack the will to stop do have a weakness.

AnarchistFish said:
Weird that many of the people saying they don't see the appeal are people who've never tried it, but whatever
Maybe they never tried because they dont see the appeal? Surely you can say "killing babies does not appeal to me" before trying it, right?

shootthebandit said:
thesilentman said:
I choose to not indulge in such because I'm not interested in screwing my body over at my age. I'm also underage, but even as I become an adult, I have promised not to have any drugs or alcohol.

Not that it's gonna stop me from becoming a hit at parties, right guys? Right... guys....?
Id say if youre confident enough to go to parties and stay sober then I would encourage you to do so. If you are an interesting person then youll be ok just expect to be a glorified taxi driver and never be a dick and say "I was sober heres a video of you....and does your head hurt this morning". I dont know what age you are because a lot of us at a young age say "ill never drink or do druvs" then we get caught up in the moment. I sincerely hope you live up to what you said and all the best to you when you are old enough
I can second that taxi driver reference. I was the guy that would go to parties that would bsically be only for getting drunk - and stayed sover. Of course half of the time at those parties was spent me telling people no when they offered me drinks. Though i ALWAYS had a ride to the party since they knew ill be sober in the end and be able to be the driver going back to city. (we used to party outside of city). And hence i never had to pay for a ride.
Granted much can change by the time im 80, but so far at 24 i still see no appeal of drugs.

-------
Let me end you with this amazing gif

akai

Aug 23, 2013
I've never taken any drugs and I have no desire to do so. I don't see the point of the whole thing. Alcohol I drink, but only on special occasions when I opt for red wine, but I can't handle more than one glass.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I've never taken alcohol or recreational drugs and I will even tend to not take paracetamol if I can avoid it. I'm not anti-medicine but I tend to avoid taking medication if I can avoid it and so I don't take paracetamol if I know the pain is temporary and I can tough it out.

I don't drink for many reasons - I want to remain in control of myself, alcohol is habit-forming and expensive, I don't want to give money to an industry that doesn't do enough to combat reckless drinking, I have an inherent dislike for any non-medical product that alters the mind and I strongly believe that our inhibitions make civilization possible and that it is not a good idea to remove ones inhibitions.

I don't take drugs for similar reasons and because I don't want to go to jail.

I have a good life. I've never had a drink and I never will. I don't like alcohol. I don't mind people who drink alcohol - my dislike of alcohol is aimed squarely at the substance itself. Most people I know drink alcohol and I have nothing against them provided they do so responsibly. I don't even care if someone takes drugs so long as they don't hurt anyone else while taking drugs or in the pursuit of more drugs. I don't hate people for taking these substances - everyone's life is different and people have different values and beliefs. I don't want to take alcohol because that is the decision I made. I'm not religious, my parents and siblings aren't teetotalers, but I'm not going to drink because when I was 10 years old I said to myself "I am never going to touch alcohol", simply because I didn't like the very concept of taking mind-altering drugs for recreational purposes.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Im ok with the social drink 3-6 amd thats me for the evening. just dont feel the need to be wasted and hungover.

Rec drugs I've never taken ive never felt the need to escape from reality.
Ive worked with people with drug problems and i understand why they take them.
i just dont need to for both anti stress and euphora. and the long term health effects are not something i want to deal with

Audioviper

Jan 5, 2012
The only time I have ever consumed any form of alcohol was on a school trip to a church. They gave us little paper cups full of red wine to drink & whilst I do admit it was rather nice, I never aim to taste another drop of alcohol. Why? No idea. Maybe out of a fear of getting drunk? I have a reasonable amount of self-control but what if am a complete light weight & don't recognize that I'm getting drunk? I haven't kept all my friends secrets to myself all this time just to fuck it all up in one night. I had a lady friend that got slightly drunk & after a rather... 'Truthful' conversation with her I decided that It's fun to watch, but not fun to engage in the activity.

As for drugs? Waste of time. They just fuck with your head. I don't need to get high to have a good time, I'll just go Airsofting or do a rally course at Brands Hatch again. Better yet, I'll go to The Escapist & browse the Forums, that usually works.