People who've never taken alcohol or drugs

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Alcohol tastes like AIDS and drugs r bad. Not a fan and don't understand the obsession.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I regularly drink. Oh boy do I (if the past weekend and this week are any to go by...)

But I refuse to do drugs.(and yes I know alcohol is a drug I'm talking other drugs) Unless it's prescribed by a doctor. I smoked cigarettes at one point in my life and never again. Drugs just don't seem like a fun time to me.

To me, as long as you aren't hurting anyone else with your decisions, I don't see why it's a big deal. And don't understand the people who think they're better because they aren't poisoning their bodies or whatever over the people who do.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I drink alcohol about twice a year, unless you count non-alcoholic beer (which actually contains about .5% alcohol). I've never done drugs, and I don't plan to start.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Chemical Alia said:
Drugs, though, I've never tried, and I can't really see myself trying them in the future. The whole idea of recreational drug use doesn't sit well with me. I don't want to consume them, and I don't want my money going to drug dealers.
When you say "the whole idea of recreation drug use doesn't sit well with me", do you mean the idea of using them yourself, or anyone at all? Also, funnily enough, there are plenty of drug users that hate drug dealers. They're not nice people (for the most part) because they can't be, there's too much money and no rules involved, so the violent tend to excel. Drugs would probably bring in a lot of money through tax. Though I'd have to insist that all the money earned from drug tax went to NASA/ESA.

Guffe said:
Narcotics / Illegal Drugs, never, they're illegal = you shouldn't take them.
Yeah, you need to be careful with that though. The law isn't always right. If the law was changed so that you were compelled to smoke at least a gram of weed a day, would you? What if alcohol were prohibited again? What if bacon was outlawed?

Hell, not all that long ago, by law in the US, black people couldn't use the same facilities as white people. I think that's a pretty good indicator that just because it's law, doesn't mean it's right.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I've never done any sort of drugs and I've never had alcohol (I'm now a couple of weeks off 20 years old). I was on antibiotics that would have reacted pretty nastily with alcohol for the first year or so of being able to drink, the drinking age in the UK being 18, and I've just kind of stuck with being a non-drinker. Don't really see the point of it I s'pose.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Techno Squidgy said:
Chemical Alia said:
Drugs, though, I've never tried, and I can't really see myself trying them in the future. The whole idea of recreational drug use doesn't sit well with me. I don't want to consume them, and I don't want my money going to drug dealers.
When you say "the whole idea of recreation drug use doesn't sit well with me", do you mean the idea of using them yourself, or anyone at all? Also, funnily enough, there are plenty of drug users that hate drug dealers. They're not nice people (for the most part) because they can't be, there's too much money and no rules involved, so the violent tend to excel. Drugs would probably bring in a lot of money through tax. Though I'd have to insist that all the money earned from drug tax went to NASA/ESA.
I mean me using them myself. I'm totally cool with my friends who use drugs as long as they do it responsibly and preferably not around me.

I also agree that it'd be better for drugs to be taxed and regulated for safety, rather than seeing that money go to gangs and to fund violent organizations. Great idea on the space thing, let's do it for science!

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I don't really consider alchohol a bad thing at all unless you use it like an idiot.

As for drugs I have never and will never try them.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I have better things to waste my money on than cigarettes and the like, usually they're video games.

I've only ever tried alcohol once just to do the whole "if you've never tried it you can't say you don't like it" thing, well I tried it and it tasted as terrible as I had thought, so I won't be doing it again since once again I have better, more entertaining things I could be wasting my money on.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
I only drink alcohol on special occasions, though not to the level of "only a sip of champagne on New Years". Getting together with friends I don't get to meet often, birthdays and so on are all good occasions, although I won't drink more than a few glasses, if that, and I certainly won't drink something which I dislike the taste of. I've never gotten more than a little tipsy in my life and I've never tried or plan on trying smoking and drugs, unless you count taking benylin when you have a cold.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Senare said:
I'm glad you asked. I have never taken narcotics nor drunk alcohol (more than a sip, because people wanted me to taste). I have numerous reason for avoiding it.

1. It is toxic.
2. It is addictive.
3. Some of the immediate effects are negative.
4. It is expensive.
5. It tends to limit options, especially since it effects your judgement.
6. I view consumption of it as a weakness.
7. The positive effects can generally be attained without it by other means, like mental tricks.
8. For alcohol: The things I have tried taste bad, and those that could taste well (drinks) can be made without alcohol.

My criteria for when it is acceptable to use narcotics or alcohol is when it is done for rare legitimate reasons where the benefits will definitely outweigh the costs. E.g. medical intervention. Everyone is of course free to poison themselves, as long as their consumption does not effect anyone else aversely and that they retain unimpaired judgement when it comes to decision-making that effects others (especially when voting). Note that the simple fact that you are poisoning yourself may tax your health-care system, which would fall under the previous point.
Wow. I'm astonished. You covered pretty much everything I was going to say. I started reading your post assuming it would be similar but... I mean you literally covered every single point I was going to say. Uh. Yeah, I agree. Wholeheartedly. I do not, nor will I ever, require the self-destruction that is alcohol and drugs.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
Guffe said:
Narcotics / Illegal Drugs, never, they're illegal = you shouldn't take them.
Yeah, you need to be careful with that though. The law isn't always right. .
Maybe I should explain myself?

The laws change, so do people, and society at the moment in my country we have list of substances that have been made illegal to use. This is based on tests done by medical experts who find out that usage of such substances in small enough doses damage your body/nervous system/mental health in a bad/dramatical way, then it's made illegal. Some you may use if you get an order from a doctor, because with some sicknesses or health issues the bad in the drug also reverses the bad in your body and therefor has a healing effect (or something), but without a certificate you can't use them. And then we have the 100% illegal stuff like cocaine, heroine, weed etc etc.

At the moment the law says I can't use any of these, it means I won't. If alcohol would've been illegal since I was born, or just 10 years ago changed to illegal, I doubt I would drink today.

I'm not saying people always made the right decision, as you said, slavery. But if I would've lived in 19th century I would probably not have seen anything wrong in slavery, most likely! That was the society of that time, then came along great people who did great things to change all that.

There are rules in society, I live in a country were every person who is in this country, has to obey the same rules and laws, doesn't matter what sex, skincolour, height, weight, haircolour etc etc.

And throwing out extremes at me like "make it so everyone has to smoke 1 gram of weed a day" is unnecessary. It's not going to happen!
What I can agree on is that some laws might be a bit weird, you can go around them or maybe one or two might be outrageous, that's why we have a system here that when we notice flaws like this there are people educated to notice it, and change it. But the laws are made so everyone can live together in this society, if everyone were to follow the rules. Which too many don't!!

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Guffe said:
You raise some interesting points. Let me start cutting up your argument a bit.

at the moment in my country we have list of substances that have been made illegal to use. This is based on tests done by medical experts who find out that usage of such substances in small enough doses damage your body/nervous system/mental health in a bad/dramatical way, then it's made illegal.
then we have the 100% illegal stuff like cocaine, heroine, weed etc etc.
Okay, but what's interesting is the debate on the harmfulness of Cannabis and various other recreational drugs. Cannabis is actually pretty safe. There are risks, of course, but there are also ways to minimise those risks. Research has shown that cannabis has some really positive aspects to it, and not purely recreational. MDMA, the bit you actually want when you buy ecstasy, has potential applications in PTSD treatment and can be extremely helpful in therapy. A lot of drug legislation has more to do with politics than it does with what's best for everyone.

At the moment the law says I can't use any of these, it means I won't. If alcohol would've been illegal since I was born, or just 10 years ago changed to illegal, I doubt I would drink today.
And throwing out extremes at me like "make it so everyone has to smoke 1 gram of weed a day" is unnecessary. It's not going to happen!
I wasn't saying that because I think it's actually going to happen, I was saying that because I wanted you to think. If the law said you HAD to smoke weed, would you?

What I can agree on is that some laws might be a bit weird, you can go around them or maybe one or two might be outrageous, that's why we have a system here that when we notice flaws like this there are people educated to notice it, and change it.
I agree with you there, and I think drug legislation across most of the world is flawed, and needs to be changed.
To me, it's ridiculous that a consenting adult can't go to a store and pick out an intoxicant of choice, and have themselves a nice evening. Of course, you'd need to actually educate people about drugs, what they do, how they can be dangerous, how to use them safely, but overall I think that having drugs illegal makes them more dangerous. There's no regulations on adulterants, no guarantee that what you pay for is what you get, and drug dealers (for the most part) are scum.

As an aside, I don't think ALL drugs should be legal. However, there should be a wide selection of safer drugs, so that people don't have to resort to shit like heroin. Also, I apologise if I came across as hostile earlier (or now), that was never my intention.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Not never. I have had alcohol before but I've never been drunk and very very rarely drink it at all. I had maybe a bottle or 2's worth during my life (I'm 22). I actually haven't found an alcoholic drink I even like taste of so I don't even want to drink it for that. The only drugs I've taken are medicinal.

The idea of being drunk or high dose not appeal to me at all, in fact it looks horrifying. I embarrass myself enough when I'm completely sober so I don't need to add alcohol to the mix. Besides I couldn't afford to drink much even if wanted to.
Babysitting people who are drunk and/or high isn't fun either. I have friends who have been trying to to knock drug habits and have a lot of issue from that so I'm sure as hell not going to start.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I don't drink/smoke/do drugs

And I live in the Netherlands, hehe.

I see drinking and drugs as the same thing really, they both fuck with your mind to make you feel good. Eh, no thanks. It also smells terrible, makes people act like they're not themselves anymore and is extremely expensive compared to water >_>

xWestie

Apr 13, 2010
I've never taken drugs. Just simply doesn't appeal to me.
Alcohol; I very rarely drink. Only if I'm out with family friends and they're drinking, but I tend to not have more than 2 drinks or so.
Again, doesn't much appeal to me. + 1 Alcoholic mother which has rather put me off drinking tbh, lol.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Relish in Chaos said:
I was just wondering, are there any of you here that have never taken alcohol or (recreational) drugs, either for religious reasons, health reasons, or because the idea has simply never appealed to you?
Religious reasons for me. I've not drank any alcoholic beverages or taken drugs beyond the occasional panadol or avellin. Apart from that, I've seen druken people before (really drunk, I mean- dancing on tables drunk and picking fights with bobbies kind of drunk) and it terrifies me to think that I could ever end up that way.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I don't drink, smoke or take any illegal drugs as I figured out in my teens that I've an addictive personality and so I've always preferred to play it safe and not risk it. I've no problem with alcohol in food (other then I don't particularly like the taste if there's too much) and no problem with my friends drinking and smoking.

Hurrly

Aug 4, 2013
I used to drink quite alot and noq i smoke weed pretty much everyday.
My reasons initially was curiosity simple as that, i wanted to experience something different which is why iv tried acid on three ocassions ans i may do it again.

I believe that if people are educated to the potential harms and possible benefits then they can and should make an informed decision based on their own personal thoughts.
Personally i will never ever do cocaine or heroine as iv seen people who destroyed their live through it.
The first time i smoked weed i was living with classmates at college and we sat in the kitchen for an hours quizing our friened who had done it quite regularly.
We asked about side effects long term short term and medium term.

We all made an informed decision some decided to try it and some didnt, none was judged we understood it was a personal choice for them to make and if they are concerned about the effects that is perfectly fine.
With alcohol again education and personal preference. For me sometimes i just like to forget things and when im really drunk i do. ofc i do drink responsibly but every so often i want to get so wasted i cant remember my name and so thats what i do.