People who've never taken alcohol or drugs

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I do not voluntarily do drugs. When i was a kid back in the 1980's a doctor prescribed me Ritalin as an experiment to treat me for depression after my first attempt at suicide. It turned me into a violent bully. I didn't go looking for victims, but if any other kid paid me the slightest disrespect, i would see red, black out and come to my senses as teachers would be struggling to tear me off my victim. One day i woke up with a conscience, felt deep regret for all the people i hurt and refused to take any more of the pills.

Moved to a new city with my parents. City has a huge meth problem. Watched as all my childhood friends that i made there, and my parents became tweakers. Buried my father last year. Cardiac arrest brought on by meth overdose. He was 52. He had been dealing it to my old childhood friends.

Got my first GF at 17 yrs old. Had only known her for 2 weeks. She invited me to stay the weekend with her since her parents were gone. She was only 15. I had no intention of sleeping with her at the time. She knew my position on drugs. She spiked my drink anyway and took my virginity. Didn't learn about her spiking my drink till 6 months later. Just remembered her having sex with me as if it were a hazy out of body experience that ended with me crying at the foot of her bed, unsure how i could have let that happen. My only first hand experience with alcohol.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Bittersteel said:
I drink but I don't do drugs. I find it stupid to do heroin, crack, cocaine and other drugs. I don't understand why people take them. If you are doing it for medical reason, then I have no problem.
When you say "other drugs", how about Cannabis?

Given that, objectively speaking, it's not nearly as bad for you as Alcohol.

The reason that Tobacco and Alcohol are legal (in the UK) and other drugs are not, is purely for cultural and historical reasons, and drugs are mostly dealt with the way they are (again, in the UK) because of political influence and uninformed opinion, rather than actual facts.

For an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about: This is a Wikipedia Article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_classification:_making_a_hash_of_it%3F](*shrugs* if you're that interested go find the source material yourself) regarding a report by an independent committee, released in 2006, which addresses many of the problems with the way drugs are currently classified in UK law.

Personally I don't use drugs any more (mostly because, as part of my job, I'm tested for them), but I drink fairly heavily(albeit, considerably less than I used to). I've not been a smoker for about a year now, before that I was quite on-and-off with the smoking.

Mostly I've just started to get a little bit older - I can't drink and smoke all night then go play Rugby the next day like I used to. I need to spend money on things like a Mortgage and bills as well, so I can't afford to go out binging like I used to.

So, these days it's a couple of pints of an evening, and the occasional smash-up when the occasion demands.

I don't regret Drinking, Smoking or taking Drugs, and whilst I'll never understand those who don't see the appeal of them (same way they'll never understand why I do see the appeal), I'm a live-and-let-live sort of person these days, if people want to go round being all healthy and nonsense then that's their decision.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Addendum: I do on the other hand abuse caffeine like a single mother abuses her kids. It was the only way i could keep up with all the tweakers i lived around without becoming one. Now i just do caffeine recreationaly.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
I know it's bad for me, but I usually get drunk 0-2 times a week. I drink for the taste and for the buzz.

I have never used any type of drug though, and never intend to do so. First of all it ruins your body and secondly it gives money to the criminals who make and distribute the drugs. I'm also a non-smoker because yuk and unhealthy.

Caffeine I also try to stay away from. That shit just does crazy things to me :p

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
I've done plenty of things. IMO (which, no one should care about in the first place) those who don't do these things, aren't quite living life. Now, there are a PLETHORA of other ways to experience life and all it's wonders, but everyone should live a little in some way or another. I'll drink every now and again, but when it comes to chemicals (among other things) I don't have an addictive personality. So I'll really only smoke cigarettes during extreme moments of stress, if not, then when I drink, which is about every other weekend. And depending on the situation at hand, I'll either drink in excess for a party or just enough to have a jolly old time. I am an avid fan of The Pot, and to this day the only reason I can say why is due to the psychological AND body high that comes from it. I've tried cocaine once, but I cut myself off there out of fear that it could develop further. I've eaten magic mushrooms plenty of times, tried acid 5 times, but I've never done meth or heroine. We all need to draw the line somewhere. And those who stray away from these things, I'm sure you have your reasons. And good on you for sticking to your ideals. Just experience life in any way you can, and you don't necessarily need drugs for it, but some can open your mind further! =)

TL;DR - If you're living straight edge, I hope you're making it worthwhile.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
My view on alcohol is this:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/12caec259590056aea8138a930902b3f/tumblr_mocxs3WfLz1qjpxbbo1_500.gif

I'll say this, I like to have a drink every weekend (with friends), usually getting drunk, only because I like the taste though.
As for drugs, I've had enough experience with them to know that alcohol is all you need in a drug. Alcohol is great, it brings people together and makes bad music bearable.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I sort of took alcohol once. I had a sip of wine and spat it out because it was terrible, like drinking acidic knives, and another thing that was so "alcoholic", it froze in our freezer within a day.

I'm allergic to opium, and marijuana, so those are out, and the other drugs seem too... life risking to even want to bother with.

So for me, no religious reasons. Just allergies, distaste, and having a stick up my ass (I call it my spinal cord)

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Here!
I've never seen the appeal at all. I actually have had alcohol though, but rarely more than a sip. I think it tastes absolutely terrible.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I am currently 20 and have never drunk any alcohol or taken any kind of drugs, the most I would have done is passive smoking since a friend of mine smokes.

I know that drinking and smoking are unhealthy and bad for you as well as potentially addicting but that is not why I have never tried it. It's just never appealed to me, I have never wanted to drink or smoke myself, I thought I wanted to when I was younger but that was just because it was the "thing" to do. Drinking and smoking was cool and everyone should aspire to it was the thought process I had then and I felt pretty bad for never having done it.

I have just never wanted to do it and now think both alcohol and drugs are both pretty bad. I don't look down on anyone who does enjoy to drink or smoke in moderation, I just think they are both bad habits.

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
No alcohol, no smoking, no drugs - Or at least that is how I go about it. It is healthier and saves a lot of money are two things I am sure of. I always find it funny when you get people casually talking about the time they took some drugs like it is some kind of "Mature" or "Adult" thing and they are almost acting as if you are weird for not having tried it yourself. I am not some kind of puritan fun hater but I think we can all agree nobody should act like doing any of these things makes you grown up and mature. The interesting thing about illegal drugs is that it isn't really taking the drugs that is a huge deal. It is what the person does under the influence of them and the cost of healthcare when it almost inevitably goes downhill that is the real issue. I can't say whether making it legal would change things or not. I do however, not think that we would all become drug addicts if it was legal like governments seem to be paranoid about.

Hmmmm...I wonder how much money it would rake in if it was all government controlled and legal.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Can somebody please explain the "dont like the taste of alcohol" comment that a lot of people seem to be making. There are so many different kinds of liquor and beer and they all taste so different. I could name more then a dozen right now where you can not taste the alcohol in the slightest bit.

Guffe said:
The one part I'm pretty glad you picked up was the part of "drug dealers being scum" (well most of them anyways... at least that's what the movies tell me :p). This is the major part in the drug business, plus the part that people don't understand drugs and overdoses happen due to this etc.
But the fact that people die from 1) overdoses, and 2) the drug market itself. I mean drug cartells in Mexico are basically at war killing each other for land to grow Cannabis in and then the "normal street tugs" selling the stuff don't have the Santa reputation either.
If some few chosen drugs were legistlated, what will happen? Will these, at the moment criminal organisation, try to stop this whole thing making it even worse and affecting the civilian population around them, or what will happen? Because I doubt they will freely let go a business worth several millions just because some politician said the drug store can now sell "their product".

But yes, this is one of the biggest debates out there, and I have no idea when a conclusion will come to it. Like with most other big debates.
They will do the obvious thing and start selling it legally. If you legalize weed then there are going to be people growing it and you can be dam sure a large portion of those people are going to be ones to used to grow it illegally.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Little Gray said:
alcohol taste snip

Guffe said:
my long bad english snip
They will do the obvious thing and start selling it legally. If you legalize weed then there are going to be people growing it and you can be dam sure a large portion of those people are going to be ones to used to grow it illegally.
Yeah, most likely some of them, but that would meen you have to get a lot paperwork done, a business started etc etc. Unless they somehow start supplying for drug stores. And I bet they'll lose a lot of money on those prices compared to how it is now.

I will also answer your alcohol taste question :)

Not alcohol itself but I don't like beer, mainly because I don't get any taste from it, it's as if I'd be drinking water with a bitter aftertaste. And somehow my body reacts strangely to beer, my tummy swells after 2 or 3 of them (small cans) and then i get pain in my stomach for about an hour or so.
Then again in Finland we don't have that many different beers, I've tasted in England a few different ones which were OK and even in bottles over here they are pretty OK, so if I find that out in a pub then I take a pint but no more, this isn't from just trying once this experience with beer.

Other alcohol drinks I like just fine :D

Mar 19, 2010
Well considering the NSA is listening i will just say that I drink a little alcohol on occasions where there is no way to talk myself out of it other than that i have never ever did or considered doing illegal drugs in fact i never did anything illegal at all. True story.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
"I can't tell you about it. If you can't see it then you will just never know it. I feel sorry for you." It's like going to a fair and not going on any of the rides.

I really wish I could fluently describe the experiences of my favorite branch, psychedelics. Though it would be far less novel and inspiring if it was describable. All I can tell you is, it would be unlike anything you have experienced in your life.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
rhodo said:
I'm egocentric enough that I just can't give in to peer pressure, so I've never gotten real drunk even when I was a teenager and getting very drunk was pretty much a social status among my friends. I still enjoy drinking and going to pubs, but I can never get really drunk like some people do. I'm just not an addictive personality.

As for drugs, it's different: I'd never take them because I'm scared of the damage they do to your brain and body, and I don't like not being able to think and act clearly.... so I've always wondered -why- do some people use drugs. I see no upside to them.
Because your experiences have lead you to have these beliefs. What is the point in snowboarding? what is the point in video-games? What is the point in Television? Pleasure.

Now yes a certain element of pain is present in drugs. However it is not there initially, it builds up with continued use. Just as the pleasure gets lessened with use. It is something done on occasion. It is the people who do not realize the increased pain, the people who run from suicidal tendencies only to self-harm with drugs, these are the stories the news will air. It will be easier for these people to blame drugs then their own rotten luck, so that is what they do.