PETA Asks Gamers To Be Kind To Zerglings

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TETZ?

*snickers*

Immaturity aside, as clever as it is, I don't think they understand what the Zerg do. I mean, hugs and cuddles aren't gonna stop them from murdering the hell out of you.
I for one support PETA members giving zerglings hugs, the zerg will be doing the rest of us a favor.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TETZ?

*snickers*

Immaturity aside, as clever as it is, I don't think they understand what the Zerg do. I mean, hugs and cuddles aren't gonna stop them from murdering the hell out of you.
I for one support PETA members giving zerglings hugs, the zerg will be doing the rest of us a favor.
I think they should show us how to properly cuddle zerglings, or, even better, create a zergling cuddle corp. and make it their mission to cuddle and hug as many zerglings as possible. I mean, it's only right of them to do it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Zerg are hiveminded, the lower rungs of their "society" probably don't even feel anything since they're remote controlled by psionics. That's a step past even eusocial species where the workers will happily sacrifice themselves for the queen.

These aren't friendly beasts of Nurgle.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Jodan said:
yes they do have feelings mostly hunger and homicidal rage

but really what?

now correct me if im worng but didnt the zerg go around genetically engineering species to serve the zerg as slaves.
Ainsi we should be helping to liberate them and returning them to their natural habitat.
or putting them out of their misery as humanley as possiable, which is obviously via space marine.
zerglings are an extention of the hive mind(or Kerrigan in SC2)
there less slave and more akin to a cell of a larger animal.

There are some agents that possess functioning minds(Cerebrates, Overmind,&Kerrigan)
Infested Terrens are just moving biomass that use to be people so not exactly slaves.

I would say in SC 1 that Kerrigan was a slave. As she did still have her mind but it was subject to the orders of the Overmind. I wouldn't exactly call Cerebrates slaves as they were extensions of the Overmind and were more then willing to fulfill there orders.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TETZ?

*snickers*

I think they should show us how to properly cuddle zerglings, or, even better, create a zergling cuddle corp. and make it their mission to cuddle and hug as many zerglings as possible. I mean, it's only right of them to do it.
Agreed, they should lead by example. Now if you don't mind I'm going to get comfy in that battlecruiser to watch while eating popcorn. Everyone's invited.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TETZ?

*snickers*

Agreed, they should lead by example. Now if you don't mind I'm going to get comfy in that battlecruiser to watch while eating popcorn. Everyone's invited.
I'll bring the soda!

OT: Really, PETA? Really? You want me to feel BAD for defending myself against the intelligent, intentionally malicious, invasive alien species bent on exterminating all other life in the universe in the name of genetic perfection? What the Jesus Jumped-Up Christ is wrong with you people?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Ah yes, let us hug the engineered killing machine, whose sole purpose is to act like moving cover for more valuable units.

I know, yes, it's supposed to be a cute joke and they've succeeded in getting people to talk about it, which is half the battle, but it seems like a waste of resources because it's not bound to make much headway.

Then again, a lot of what the PETA does is nonsensical media stunts and frightening impressionable children, so I guess this fits right in.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I feel sorry for the poor soul who was playing SC/II at work when the PETA manager walked in and saw the zerg rush.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
RicoADF said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TETZ?

*snickers*

And I shall bring other snacks since an odd massacre of this weirdness needs this. :D

Now I have a funny image in my head of PETA people getting murdered by trying to cuddle the zerglings into submission.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
CharrHearted said:

Pretty much sums up my reaction to this piece of information.

Aaah Peta, getting more and more dumber one step at a time... now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to have me some fried Zerglings. :3
Mine too.

OT:
Even more so because I'd like to say this to people that STILL take PETA seriously at this point...

WHY!?!?! Why do you take them seriously at this point?

Why do they hold a shred of your respect today? WHY!?!?!

The 'Holocaust on your Plate' ad campaign wasn't disgusting enough to draw you away?

The fact that PETA kills, sorry... 'puts to sleep forever' 2/3 of the animals it takes in while the Humane Societies around the country only euthanize far less than 1/3 of the animals they take in... wasn't enough?

The fact that Ingrid Nooker, the vice president, uses medicine derived from animal testing (and the previous fact) isn't enough to get you to stop giving money to such MASSIVE hypocrites?

And the fact that PETA has given money to firebombers who torch medical labs isn't enough to draw you away from these tools?

Really?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Wait, is it me, or did PETA just do something that could be classified as 'intelligent'? Maybe not the best campaign ever, but they didn't... butcher everything.
Until you get to the part where you realise you're asked to have empathy for beings mostly intent on chewing your face off.
Empathy and restraint when it comes to killer animals is justified when we're capable of driving said animal extinct (eg. tigers, rhinos). Somehow I'm pretty sure the zerg doesn't quite qualify for any endangered species list. Until then I'd say we'll be fine blowing their little heads off. With empathy.

Amusement: 7/10
Intelligence: 3/10

They're getting better at their batshit stupid campaigns, I have to hand them that.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Therumancer said:
angler fish (I mean seriously people, those things exist to give your nightmares something to be afraid of)
Angler Fish are my proof that there is a God and that he REALLY REALLY HATES humans, life, and happiness. I don't know why we haven't started an international campaign to kill them all. On a serious note, I actually really agree with your post in general. It makes a lot of sense and it is level headed.

As much as I dislike PETA, I'm amused by this campaign. For all the people talking about how they don't know the lore, I think you are missing the point. Its supposed to be pretty silly.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
I can see this campaign have the opposite effect in-game wise, and get Terran players pumped about their next "inhumane massacre" of zerglings. Do PETA actually know what the Zerg are?

I would love to see them do an ad campaign for xenomorph chessbursters (dawww ain't they sweet!) from the Alien series. In face this whole thing instantly reminded me of when Gediman calls the newborn in Alien Resurrection a "Beautiful little baby". I love that creepy line.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Yes, PETA does some objectionable (and outright indefensible) things, but this is a smart and funny way of getting its message out.
Kind of like cigarette companies creating Joe Camel to appeal to kids, huh.

Neeckin

Feb 5, 2013
Wow, I'm agreeing with PETA on something, let alone something about Zerg. What the hell?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
PETA Asks Gamers To Be Kind To Zerglings

With StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm about to launch, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals would like to remind everyone that Zerglings have feelings, too.

PETA will be attending tonight's launch event for StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm in Irvine, California, but in a slightly different guise than we've come to know it. In honor of the long-awaited StarCraft release, the group is renaming itself "Terrans for the Ethical Treatment of Zerglings" for the night and will hand out pamphlets entitled Zerglings Have Feelings, Too.

"When playing StarCraft, I had noticed how the Zerg were treated more like animals than like other people. I couldn't help but wonder if there would be an analog to PETA in the world of StarCraft," PETA online marketing strategist Joel Bartlett wrote. Thus was born the idea for TETZ, and tonight's appearance at the StarCraft launch.

"Remember, while Zerglings are not real, there are many equally 'strange' and exotic animals we share this planet with who deserve our empathy. Just because crocodiles and snakes look alien to us, that doesn't make it OK to skin them alive for a handbag, shoes, or a belt," Bartlett wrote. "And if we had to share our world with the Zerg in reality, I'd like to think that we'd make an effort to understand and respect them rather than sending out the battlecruisers - because the alternative to having empathy for other beings is about as grim as it gets."

Setting aside the hard-to-avoid dislike for PETA's more extreme behavior, you have to admit this is a pretty clever campaign. It raises awareness without casting judgment and ties in smartly with what is bound to be one of the year's biggest game releases. Yes, PETA does some objectionable (and outright indefensible) things, but this is a smart and funny way of getting its message out - even if the idea of making nice with the Zerg makes about as much sense as sitting down for tea with a rabid grizzly bear.

Source: PETA [http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2013/03/11/peta-starcraft-zerglings-have-feelings-too.aspx]

Escapist please stop posting these stories, your playing right into their hand.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
TheDoctor455 said:
CharrHearted said:

Pretty much sums up my reaction to this piece of information.

Aaah Peta, getting more and more dumber one step at a time... now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to have me some fried Zerglings. :3
Mine too.

OT:
Even more so because I'd like to say this to people that STILL take PETA seriously at this point...

WHY!?!?! Why do you take them seriously at this point?

Why do they hold a shred of your respect today? WHY!?!?!

The 'Holocaust on your Plate' ad campaign wasn't disgusting enough to draw you away?

The fact that PETA kills, sorry... 'puts to sleep forever' 2/3 of the animals it takes in while the Humane Societies around the country only euthanize far less than 1/3 of the animals they take in... wasn't enough?

The fact that Ingrid Nooker, the vice president, uses medicine derived from animal testing (and the previous fact) isn't enough to get you to stop giving money to such MASSIVE hypocrites?

And the fact that PETA has given money to firebombers who torch medical labs isn't enough to draw you away from these tools?

Really?
This

PETA can go fuck itself, this zergling campaign is fairly inoffensive but them acting like they have ANY moral superiority is absolute bullshit

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
You know, I actually thought this was a fairly neat idea to appeal to the gamer demographic... and then I actually read the article.

Comparing wild animals to biologically engineered killing machines with no other purpose than to invade, kill and assimilate every useful life-form they encounter... Yeah.

God damn it, I hate it when people who know NOTHING of games try to "be cool" and appeal to gamers. You'd think that everyone would realize that trying to approach a subject you know nothing about only makes you look stupid. Guess not.