PETA Asks Gamers To Be Kind To Zerglings

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Come to think of it, a zergling-skin wallet could be rather stylish. Oh well, this is the best speech regarding the treatment of zerg that I've ever heard given:
[audio]http://s3.amazonaws.com/nuclearlaunchdetected/mp3/Alert_TerranCalldownLaunch.mp3[/audio]

I just love that one.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Setting aside the hard-to-avoid dislike for PETA's more extreme behavior, you have to admit this is a pretty clever campaign. It raises awareness without casting judgment and ties in smartly with what is bound to be one of the year's biggest game releases. Yes, PETA does some objectionable (and outright indefensible) things, but this is a smart and funny way of getting its message out - even if the idea of making nice with the Zerg makes about as much sense as sitting down for tea with a rabid grizzly bear.
Well, now that I can breath and see through the tears of a 4 minute laughing fit, allow me to disagree with this being "a clever campaign."

While I'll give them credit for not judging, as you said, they show a complete lack of understanding of the game and therefor the gamers themselves. Indeed, zerglings are slaughtered by the literal thousands as the push the front lines of the zerg army...but that's the keyword there: army. This isn't just a misunderstood race of beastial aliens, these are sentient, intelligent creatures who want to assimilate or destroy everything in their path. They're literally bloodthirsty monsters hell-bent on destroying every last teran and protoss...not because these other two species are encrouching on their natural habitat or hunting them to extinction...it's because they're the frickin' zerg swarm. It's what they do.

To think that they're deserving of pity, sympathy, and protection is just obscenely out of touch with the demographic that they're trying to reach and just PETA's desperate attempt to cling onto something popular so they can spread their propaganda around. Hell, I'd imagine if TETZ actually existed in the SC universe, it would be seen as a rogue terrorist group working with the enemy of all humanity, and anyone claiming to be a member of it would be executed for treason.

It's clear to me that PETA has launched a campaign for trying to influence gamers, which is why they raised a stink about whaling in AC IV. And now we have this hilarious bit of news.

"Awwwwww, he's just a kewt wittul zergy! He just wants two bwe your fwiend!" Yyyyeeeeeaaaah. Go up and give a Hydralisk a nice big ol' hug and tell me how that works out. Or even try it with a Zergling and see how well you can protect them after they've ripped you to shreds and eaten your face.

Edit: Seriously though, this was THE funniest thing I have seen on this website (funnier than any Zero Punctuation, Jimquisition, No Right Answer, MovieBob, ANYTHING) since I joined up. You can't make up comedy gold this funny. Just looking at that pamphlet picture makes me laugh uncontrollably.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
"Just because crocodiles and snakes look alien to us, that doesn't make it OK to skin them alive for a handbag, shoes, or a belt."

Holy shit I didn't think it was possible to skin a humongous crocodile while it's ALIVE but whoever can do that must be pretty badass and deserves every inch of leather they get from it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, my theorem is now proven:
PETA + video games - sanity = hilarity. Shine on you crazy diamonds, PETA.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I could say that this is hilarious on a level that this is truly proof that PETA hates people, since the zerg pretty much started it (and how many INNOCENT lives does Kerrigan have under her belt in her search for destruction and revenge?)

I could say that zerg perhaps don't have a higher level of thinking and feelings since pretty much everything they do is "for the swarm" as a hive-mind.

I could say that Zerg have more in common with insects than reptiles (regarding exoskeletons, behaviour, etc), and most animal rights activists don't shed a tear when their insects are crushed under their shoes or on their windshields.

I could say that in the time I played Starcraft, I loved mah Zerg, thought my 'lings were like little puppies (well, more the Starcraft 1 picture) and I always hated when even one died. My "no zergling left behind" mentality didn't work out so well :(.

I'm not prepared for this! So many jokes! How could I have seen this coming!?

I must say though, well done PETA. This has to be one of your less offensive, less confrontational, and joyously lulzy campaigns ever. Job well done.

Captcha: Sin, cos, tan

Catptcha, yo zetta slow! Where were you when there was rumors of another TWEWY game?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
major_chaos said:
Wenseph said:
Off topic, but what is your avatar from? I can normally at least hazard a guess with anime avatars but yours has me stumped and its bugging me.

OT: As far as PETA goes this falls into the "harmless but stupid" category. I have to wonder if after the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Mario, Cooking Mama and Pokemon parodies they decided to step back and try to take a more gentle approach to reaching gamers. It still isn't going to work, but apparently they are at least capable of recognizing trends. Although they don't seem to be able to recognize what a bunch of vile people they all are.
Using my blackbelt in google-fu, I believe I've narrowed it down to Nekomonogatari Kuro. Part of the Bakemonogatari series. Googling "Nekomonogatari Kuro characters" gives pictures of a girl that bears a striking resemblance to the one in his avatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bakemonogatari_episodes#Nekomonogatari_.28Kuro.29_.282012.29.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Oh, fuck right off, PETA.

No, seriously. You think this means people'll forget about your last, or indeed, every other prior incident of complete arsehole-ness? Do you think a cute picture of a Zergling makes us forget that you recently threw wild accusations at a game that wasn't yet released over ONE FUCKING SCREENSHOT? Do you think it makes us forget that you took the concept of a magical racoon suit and came out with "MARIO IS MURDER!"?

No PETA, it doesn't. Nothing short of a good five years of sanity and major fucking reforms to some of your terrible policies would convince anyone at this point that you're anything other than a bunch of morons, and even then, anyone who remembers that far is always gonna be keeping an eye on you.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
You'd think they could use a better picture for this. Just type "cute zerg" into google images and you get a wealth of them. This one being my favourite.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
You know because maybe if you give them a cuddle while they're eviscerating you they'll learn to love.

Fuckin' jackholes

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Clever campaign. They would have a much better reputation if all their other campagins were this clever.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
JenSeven said:
*Headdesk*
*Headdesk again*
*Headdesk again for good measure*

Thanks PETA, I now have a headache and there is a dent in my nice wooden desk.

Should I send them the bill?
Don't do that. It could turn into a bad habit that's hard to snap out of.

Besides - look at it this way: Is this not a rather perfect example of the perceptive disconnect between PETA ideology and, y'know, reality? At the very, very least it's a valid example of how they plain don't care about lore, facts or truth in general, they just see the world through shit-tinted glasses, so that everyone and anything looks rather shitty and offensive to them.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Aliens? Fictional aliens? Protesting the abuse of fictional animals wasn't ludicrous enough? PETA's campaigns get more insane by the day it seems. First Pokemon and Mario (both of which are ridiculous in their own right), then campaigning against Assassin's Creed based on a single piece of concept art.

And yeah, I fell obligated to point out the fact that PETA is not a particularly good animal rights organisation in that they euthanize (or dispose of by other means) over 90% of the animals they take in and their established goals show that they want every domesticated pet on the planet killed for having any contact with humans. So yeah, PETA = BAD.

Also, everyone in this thread, including me, is playing into their hands because they are attention whores, looking to draw attention to themselves any way that they possible can.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
This is actually an adorable PETA campaign. Instead of spreading their hate, they chose to show love.

Unfortunately, this guy said it best.

1337mokro said:
HOLD THE FUCK ON!!!

Zerglings are manufactured creatures. They were "gifted" traits by a superior species making them basically wolfs that have been bred into dogs. True Zergs are now bred for combat and genetic perfection, but they are still a bred species even from the start. Initially they were uplifted for a purpose like the Protos, they were intended to serve a goal.

In other words PETA is actually AGAINST Zergs. They want to take every single zerg into the back alley of their headquarters and euthanize it. That is what PETA wants to do to zergs. They want to eradicate them all because PETA believes that "animals for companionship or any other use" should not exist.

Nice job PETA, you hypocritical pieces of shit.
Fuck PETA and everything that they do.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Now, I'm no Starcraft expert by any means, but aren't the zerg a sentient race that is evil and wants you dead?

"Remember, while Zerglings are not real, there are many equally 'strange' and exotic animals we share this planet with who deserve our empathy. Just because crocodiles and snakes look alien to us, that doesn't make it OK to skin them alive for a handbag, shoes, or a belt," Bartlett wrote.
Most people don't consider crocs and snakes to be alien since most are familiar enough of them! For something to be considered alien to has to be so different and strange that it isn't something one is familiar with! And people are familiar with snakes and crocs by the time they enter kindergarten!