PETA Wants Michael Vick Dropped From Madden NFL Cover Vote

smut

Aug 4, 2007
CD-R said:
Actually PETA euthanized over 2000 animals last year. It's not the fact that PETA euthanized over 2000 animals last year that's the problem. It's the fact that they euthanized over 2000 animals last year and made no attempt whatsoever to find homes for them. Then there's the whole supporting domestic terrorists, collecting millions of dollars and not using it to help animals, being massive hypocrites etc.

Seriously if you really want to help animals support a local shelter or rescue. Don't give money to these assholes.

Also PETA said all of Micheal Vick's dogs should have been put down. All but a few had to be put down the rest were all adopted out (no thanks to them). So yeah fuck these assholes.
Not a fan of PETA but that domestic terrorism is bullshit. Please prove they "support domestic terrorists". And no, letting a dog out of a cage is not domestic terrorism. Planting a bomb at a MLK day parade like a white supremacist recently did? That is domestic terrorism. A right wing militia plotting to kill state troopers and kidnap a judge? THAT is domestic terrorism.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Manicotti said:
Well, it's not like EA is famous for its heartfelt sensitivity regarding its PR...

Still kind of split on this. I can't decide whether I hate PETA or Vick more.
You find a man who tortured dogs to be more pleasant than an organization that campaigns for the ethical treatment of animals in a manner that you find annoying, but which has most likely never affected you personally?
Are you sure you're not just following the crowd here?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I just dont think that a guy like that deserves to be honoured in such a way. He may be a good player, he may be hard working (something I hold in highest regard, I do think of myself as a student of Master Gai after all) but after what he did, its among the most in-human sort of thing in my mind. There really is no excuse for doing these things, were not talking about killing an animal in self defence (if a bear wants me for dinner and I have a loaded shot gun, the bears going down) were talking about the brutal torture and killing of dogs, animals born and bred to live along side humans. I dont know if you have a pet but honestly the thought of someone so much as kicking my dog fills me with rage, or any animal as a matter of fact.
You seem like a reasonable chapy and it does make sense for a sportsman to be judged on his sporting ability but for a man like that to be given these oppurtunities and privileges while other more deserving people sit in the wings just makes me sick. Sportsman are suppose to be role models and the fact that hes still aloud out there alongside real sportsmen and women drives me mad.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Trucken said:
llafnwod said:
That is an argument, and it did come across in your previous posts. Again, my main problem was with saying "if PETA's against it, it must be fine" which is what was coming across in your (and many others') later posts. This is separate. I think the problem with this argument is that dog fighting isn't really the sort of thing you can be sorry for without a major change in character. It's not like he assaulted someone or said something he shouldn't have; a continuing crime like that shows a nature of violence, sadism, and a general contempt for life. The only reason he's "sorry" is that he was caught. That's the problem people have with putting him on the cover; regardless of how good a football player he is, for some given value of evil people shouldn't be celebrated or made role models.
If I somehow implied that I thought "if PETA's against it, it must be fine", I really screwed up. What I basically was trying to say was that I think PETA are just as bad as Michael Vick, even worse actually. Yes, Vick saying that he's sorry AFTER he got caught seems unsincere (spelling?), but at least he had the good common sense to do that. PETA continue to assault and harass people and NEVER apologises for the shit they do, they just hide behind "the ends justifies the means". "The ends justifies the means" is a cowards way of saying "I know it's wrong but I did it anyway and I don't wanna face the consequences".

However, that's not the point. The point is people should pay for their crimes. Vick did his time and as a part of his punishment he's donating a part of his salary to charity in order to prevent dogfighting. Most people should be able to be forgiven for their crimes. Of course there are people that don't deserve to be forgiven, like Joseph Fritzl, but I believe that Vick should be able to be forgiven.
Okay, I think I get it now. At this point it basically boils down to moral preference; you believe Vick should be forgiven - at least to this extent - due to his gestures of contrition, and I don't. I don't agree, but I understand.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
one of the few times i agree with PETA.

and wtf he was already on the Cover once? take him out of the running and put some1 else more deserving. Even if being on the cover means you are cursed XD

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Trucken said:
llafnwod said:
Trucken said:
Also, it's a real fucking kicker that PETA hates Vick seeing that they themselves euthanised 1325 cats and dogs a few years ago. Dumbasses...
Some helpful reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_euthanasia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cruelty
A difference between animal cruelty and animal euthanasia? Sure. But PETA, the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals KILLS animals. The organization that wants animals to have the same rights as people KILLS animals. Doesn't that make them mass murderers?
Good point! I thought it was dumb until i considered it like that. Does that make PETA the Hitler of animals? I think yes.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
llafnwod said:
PETA does not want animals to have the same rights as humans, and the idea behind euthanasia is that it is better for the animals to die painlessly than continue to suffer or starve to death.
My main problem with the responses in this thread is the fact that people are honestly putting aside Vick's actions, actions they self-admittedly abhor, because PETA is the group complaining is exactly the sort of cliched "Hitler was a vegetarian" bullshit I thought everyone grew out of by the seventh grade. You could make the argument that his personal life should have no bearing on whether he shows up on the cover of a game, but I doubt anyone would be if it were bums instead of dogs he was dragging off the street and torturing.

I hope.
Shit, more people would be willing to brush it aside if he had just murdered a few humans, honestly. People say "getting away with murder" as a joke, but literally some people in the NFL GET AWAY WITH MURDER and still play. Seeing the flak Vick is getting for something he did not even get away with (i.e. paid his debt to society in prison and learned from his actions) makes me kind of sick, how can we hold his actions to a higher standard than say Ray Lewis' (whose wikipedia is literally the first one if you search NFL, murder)?

Vick went to prison, now hes done. He gets a blank slate in the eyes of the law, why not here too?

Besides he is an amazing player, and a former Virginia Tech Hokie!

sportsboy85

Jun 10, 2009
Ray Lewis basically killed a person and you're bitching about Vick on the cover, PETA?

I get what they are trying to say, but if he gets on, due to the Madden curse something bad will probably happen to him anyway.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
If any other animal protection group had said this I would of heard them out then made up my mind but PETA..... I mean really if your so big a douche bag that people aren't even willing to hear you out on a subject when they would any other group you really need to take a long hard look at your self.

II2none

Jan 5, 2011
PETA screw off, I don't really care for sports games. But it's still a video game, and PETA you don't have any say so in the video game industry. It's kinda sad your still so butthurt about some animals,I mean c'mon this man was already sentenced a ridiculous amount of time in prison for a moderately offensive crime (and it was probably cause he's black).I think he's learned his lesson you jackasses.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
pretentiousname01 said:
And here I though jail time was to "pay your debt to society".

Does this mean that peta isn't part of normal society?

Dumbasses.
Peta isn't part of normal anything

Annnnnd now I want to vote with Vic on this one. Don?t get me wrong, I love dogs. Hell, my name, Caleb, comes from a word for Dog in Hebrew. But if Peta comes into this, I cannot find myself in support by them.
It may be petty, but I was harassed by the ?Animal Rights? group (most of whom were members of Peta) back in High School because I wore a leather jacket during the winter. I now can never support any political group with a similar agenda. If you want animals to have rights, fine, work for it, don?t harass people who disagree, or preform other stupid acts, like telling people to drink beer, not milk. It?s the sort of feeling that makes me want to shop at a store where the employees have gone on strike for a stupid reason.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
similar.squirrel said:
Manicotti said:
Well, it's not like EA is famous for its heartfelt sensitivity regarding its PR...

Still kind of split on this. I can't decide whether I hate PETA or Vick more.
You find a man who tortured dogs to be more pleasant than an organization that campaigns for the ethical treatment of animals in a manner that you find annoying, but which has most likely never affected you personally?
Are you sure you're not just following the crowd here?
Vick torturing dogs has never affected me personally either, so why would it make it NOT following the crowd to find him less arbitrarily "pleasant"?

For the record, I hate Vick for his actual crimes, sure. I think he's done his time, but he's still a reasonably contemptible human being. On the other hand, I also despise PETA for its juvenile and highly sexist methods, and also for its staggering hypocrisy [http://www.petakillsanimals.com/] in killing more animals in the last year, just to cut costs, than Vick could have in five lifetimes. But maybe I'm supposed to just find that less annoying and more forgivable than the private activities of another meathead athlete?

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I may hate PETA and think of the group as bunch of nutters, but even a madman can make a good point. Vick may have served his time, but I don't think that means he should be forgiven and not treated with the contempt he deserves...
Then again looking at the game's curse, maybe it's a good thing.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
smut said:
CD-R said:
Actually PETA euthanized over 2000 animals last year. It's not the fact that PETA euthanized over 2000 animals last year that's the problem. It's the fact that they euthanized over 2000 animals last year and made no attempt whatsoever to find homes for them. Then there's the whole supporting domestic terrorists, collecting millions of dollars and not using it to help animals, being massive hypocrites etc.

Seriously if you really want to help animals support a local shelter or rescue. Don't give money to these assholes.

Also PETA said all of Micheal Vick's dogs should have been put down. All but a few had to be put down the rest were all adopted out (no thanks to them). So yeah fuck these assholes.
Not a fan of PETA but that domestic terrorism is bullshit. Please prove they "support domestic terrorists". And no, letting a dog out of a cage is not domestic terrorism. Planting a bomb at a MLK day parade like a white supremacist recently did? That is domestic terrorism. A right wing militia plotting to kill state troopers and kidnap a judge? THAT is domestic terrorism.
They talk about it in the video I posted. They've given financial aid to Rob Coronado a guy who lit a lab at Michigan State University on fire. They start talking about it at 7:30 onwards. He's also admitted to five other arsons. If that's not domestic terrorism I don't know what is.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
There seem to be two clear sides to this one here on the forums:

1. Michael Vick paid his debt to society (because I like football and he's a good player.)
OR
2. Michael Vick is still a contemptible human being (because I am unaware of or could not care less about his sports performance.)

Jordan Snidal

Jan 24, 2011
to be honest, i didn't even care about what he did in the past. its not who you where but who you are that matters, and he seems to have tried to turn his life around. but peta has to be like fundamentalist religious people and go and get offended by everything they dont like

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
llafnwod said:
Trucken said:
Also, it's a real fucking kicker that PETA hates Vick seeing that they themselves euthanised 1325 cats and dogs a few years ago. Dumbasses...
Some helpful reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_euthanasia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cruelty
YOU ARE RIGHT euthanized, not put in a cage to fight to the death. these animals would have been left to fend for themselves or pu to sleep in a much less humane way. Some "humane societies" actually gas the animals they can't adopt out, or inject them with poison to kill them. it's called PETA People for the ETHICAL Treatment of Animals. It's the ETHICAL part that people miss, it is not ethical to have animals fight for their lives for entertainment, but it is ethical to relieve the suffering of animals that have nowhere to go and are sick and in pain.

uto

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
It's very easy to judge someone of their mistakes, and if we truly don't believe that people can be redeemed why bother with correctional institutions? This type of dispute only makes PETA resemble the Westboro Baptist Church, in my opinion. We're either all in this together, or all demons toppling each other to claim the throne of superiority.

Whether we want to accept it or not, we each must repent and set aside petty arguments in order to change things that actually matter in the world. This is MADDEN-ESS!

Plus, he was already on the cover of Madden. So...

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Though I personally think anyone that makes animals fight to the death amongst them should him/herself be forced to fight for his/her own survival while I spectate and abuse said person...

If he's in the actual Roster he's just as valid for the cover as anyone else in the brainless oaf-filled fields of American Football.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
I'm conflicted, on one hand I hate PETA so much I'd be willing toskin and wear one of them just so I could say "I'm not wearing an animal, are you happy now?!" on the other I strongly believe the that twat should be fire, out of a cannon, in to the sun.