Peter Molyneux Is "Ashamed" Of Fable III's Scores

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
Kanatatsu said:
brunt32 said:
Every time I've met Peter. What is quite a lot in all fairness. He always seems to be quite sincere and greatly concerned about his games and he does treat them as HIS games. You can see the personal connections he has with the game he creates.
this post was. hard to read. because of the random. periods.
Sorry.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!

This is the how manyeth time Molyneux does this? It's always the same with this guy: First he unleashes a week long thunderstorm about how awesome his new game will be, then he kicks off an avalanche about how failed the end result is.

I'm all for developers admitting things that could have gone better, but this is just pathetic.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Can't we just fire him into the sun and get this over with? We all know that's the only way it will ever end. Otherwise, the cycle of madness and disappointment will continue for eternity...as it is told on the Mayan prophecies.

That, or he should just stick to something MUCH simpler until he can play in the big leagues again.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
cursedseishi said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Fappy said:
Peter is never satisfied with his work.
You know the old saying:

"A true artist is never satisfied with his work."
Honestly, in this case its just more Molycock, not genuine dissatisfaction, seeing as he said the same exact things around the time he announced the next Fable game.
I don't believe that. I do truly believe this man speaks the truth every time he says stuff like this. I've met the guy and I've never seen somebody as passionate about his work as him. He truly wants to make the perfect game, it is just too bad that he always seems to try to reach too high.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
He should consider himself lucky he didn't read my review. I HATED Fable III - in fact I think it was one of the worst pieces of shits I played last year. Wouldn't get any higher than a 3/10 on a good day from me.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Having re-played all three recently I thought Fable 3 was the best of the series; it had a far more compelling story and a unique and quite effective menu system. It at least tried to do something different with the last 'ruling king' section of the game even if the system was flawed and the ending anti-climatic.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I'd say fair play to the guy, providing this isn't just hyperbole. I enjoyed it a fair bit, just needed more fighting and less travelling and talking. But when the fighting really kicks off, its worth evey moment.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Fable is one of those things that I believe shows how whiny, and hard to please gamers are.

Peter is treated really unfairly, I believe. I honestly don't get this whole thing about him promising, and not delivering. And every time I ask this when news about Fable and Peter come up, I never get a good answer.

What promises has he 'not' filled, that is really such a big deal?

I can really feel for him though. I'm currently studying game design, and I am never satisfied with the game that I turn in. It could get a grade of a A+, and I'm still not happy that I wasn't able to get that health bar to work, or fix the bugs in the collision detection, etc etc, before the project is due. Time constraints can be a real ***** in game development.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Zhukov said:
Mr Molyneux, you are one strange little man.

And yet, I can't help but like the guy.
The man's charisma stat is through the roof. That said, he says this after every Fable installment. Oh, we had high hopes but didn't reach them. Oh, I feel just gutted over what we didn't achieve.

You know, just once, I'd like him to be offended and ask us what the hell our collective problem is. Just once.
I'd also like him to simply shut up about all his aspirations for the game he's producing. Ever time he opens his mouth and talks about all the features he hopes to implement in his game when they aren't even close to done it gets all us gamers excited about the prospects. Then he releases something and is all, "Sorry it didn't actually have all that crap I told you about earlier." Sorry, Pete, the townspeople have heard "Wolf!" one too many times now and are not going to take your nonsense any more.

That's what I think the real problem is, not gamers being unappreciative of what would otherwise be a good game. He undermines his own efforts by telling us all this stuff or criticizing his productions in public.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Pandalink said:
I thought Fable 3 was pretty good, actually. Not as good as the first Fable, mind, but that was one of the greatest video games I've ever played - so it's a pretty high standard.

Why did people seem to not enjoy Fable 3?
One of the biggest complaints I hear about is the inventory system.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The first one was the only good one and for whatever reason Lionhead, probably because of Molyneux, just keeps getting further and further away from why it was good.

I pre-ordered the second game and aside from the Pub games DLC I don't play it. Never trust what Molynuex says. He'll just keeps lying out his ass.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
dogstile said:
Man I like the guy. At the very least his games are different.
Different how? Outside of the 5 year old humor of fart jokes and blatant liberal pandering (don't call me a bitchy Republican/Conservative please, I'm neither), Fable has become one of the most generic action RPGs out there.

Black and White 2 was a shadow of the original Black and White.

The Movies was really enjoyable, until you know, they didn't support it for shit. One very 'meh' xpack and then not much else. It's a game that would have benefited so much from continued support, but it didn't get that.

And next on his plate is Fable: THE KINECT NEEDS GAMES.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
I just wish it didn't feel like every installment took a step backwards. To me Fable 1 was so much more of a charming game than 2 that it's incredible and fable 3 is so bad that just being the sequel to an average fable 2 is astounding.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
"It didn't end up being the game that I dreamed it would be..." The story of Molyneux's life.

I'm not sure if Molyneux's ridiculous hype of every game is due to his own inability to grasp reality, pure marketing, or if there is someone behind the scenes at the studio stoking his fire? But the man's visions are always so obviously out of reach, he is setting himself up for failure.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
dogstile said:
Man I like the guy. At the very least his games are different.
Different how? Outside of the 5 year old humor of fart jokes and blatant liberal pandering (don't call me a bitchy Republican/Conservative please, I'm neither), Fable has become one of the most generic action RPGs out there.
You know, I love it exactly for the 5 year old humour. This is a game that can't even take itself seriously, it doesn't know where its going and I really haven't played much else that feels like fable does.

So that's how its different, its enjoyable to play, its characters are funny (to me at least, I don't care if you have a different sense of humour, you're not the one enjoying it, I am) and I like the gameplay.

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
It doesn't surprise me that Molyneux is saying he's disappointed in Fable's end product. He says that every time.

Maybe he should try expanding on the stuff they implemented in the last game to try to iron out the wrinkles instead of attempting to toss in every neat new idea he gets.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
The Molyneux law:

"The last Fable always sucks and the next Fable will always be awesome"

in practice, the series grow worse the faster the days.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I still don't have an idea how that game rated between 70-80%.After playing it,for me,it's around 60-70% mark but not more.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I don't see the shittyness that everyone else seems to be seeing in the Fable games. They were flawed like every other game out there, but they were polished, well produced, entertaining and oozing humor and fairytale-like charm. Indeed, Fable 2 had a rubbish ending, but so did every Assassin's Creed game and they were still enjoyabe.

What really bothers me about Peter M. is that he keeps making Fable games all those years. If you stop to think how many original IP's this guy has worked on in his career, your mind melts. So why is he suddenly so timid about his projects? A clear pattern with him is that every time he makes a new game it's awesome, and then he makes a sequel that is worse than the original. I really think it would work best for him if he worked on a brand new IP. If someone has the imagination and drive to come out with something unique and amazing, it's him. Still, no matter what his next game will be (or the one after that), he will have my support as a buyer. Because he made Dungeon motherfucking Keeper. End of story.