Phantom of the Arcade - A Text Adventure

Feb 13, 2008
paulgruberman said:
sheic99 post=6.75152.863386 said:
Where is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one? I'm praticaly obsessed with the book and really want to play it.
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Try to get the babel fish without the walkthrough for your first few play attempts; it builds character. Right before you start empathizing with Marvin's outlook on life, then take a peek at the walkthrough to save your sanity. Can you imagine those gamers of yesteryear, without the full power of the internet at hand to guide their explorations, testing themselves against this unforgiving landscape? When they raise their canes and declare that games were uphill both ways back in the day, now you understand their madness.
My post earlier leads to the graphical interface. :)

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
paulgruberman said:
sheic99 post=6.75152.863386 said:
Where is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one? I'm praticaly obsessed with the book and really want to play it.
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Try to get the babel fish without the walkthrough for your first few play attempts; it builds character.
Walkthrough? that would be nice, I keep losing and I've not even got of earth yet.

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
Well, that was a fun way to enjoy an hour in the middle of the night. My hat is off to you, it actually took me a moment to figure out the mortal kombat guy before I finally figured it out. The map really helped in making it even more enjoyable too (for me at least).

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I forgot to say thanks.

That was a great game you guys had there; I really hope that you guys host another text-based adventure game in the future.

I also did it without using the map; which helped me to utilise the chicken costume to its full potential.

Once again; kudos to the escapist staff!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.75152.865556 said:
Susan Arendt said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Delmar Wynn said:
I have always expressed an interest in drinking a cup of mud.
Well, it was ground earlier. ;)
One of these days, I swear, I'm going to ban you for your love of puns. It pains me so.
I was brought up on Rocky/Bullwinkle and DangerMouse, I blame my youth. :)
I have DM on DVD, I'll have you know. So you're temporarily spared for having good taste in absurd cartoons.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
I'd also like to say thanks, and voice my opinion that another one should be done soon. It was great (although fustrating at times, but that's part of the fun)

Feb 13, 2008
TwilightFan182 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TwilightFan182 said:
How do I un-jam the street fighter coin slot?! GAH! I've been stuck on this for nearly an hour!
About for quarters then?
I got that much. There are no quarters in any area I have access to, though.
Uh...yes there is...Either you've picked it up or not been in the right room.

GoddessTio

Dec 30, 2007
I hardly ever play text adventure games, so this is a command and response I typed in at the beginning:
Unfortunately, the door seems to be stuck. You can't figure out how it managed to lock itself, but whatever - it ain't budging. You're going to have to find some other way out of here. Peering through the darkness, you think you can see a dark corridor extending east.

>go down hall
I only understood you as far as wanting to go down.

Made me giggle.

May 17, 2007
If you're stuck: LOOK at everything. Including things already in your inventory. Clues abound.

I finished it pretty quickly - only encountered one object which I knew what to do with but couldn't phrase it right - but it did take me a while to realise there was an actual door to the NE from the entrance hall, not just noise coming through a wall (the pitfalls of looking at a map which doesn't show diagonal doors!)

I got the extra points for make-you-his-***** and the points for being not unflappable, but I'm still only on 85. Those extra 10 points have got me stumped. Any wise words, Game Master? :D