Phantom of the Arcade - A Text Adventure

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=6.75152.861944 said:
Danzorz post=6.75152.861921 said:
I can't understand the mortal combat guy
Well, Mortal Kombat was really nasty when it came out, but that's old school now. What he really needs is something much more recent that Jack Thompson might have heard of.

BTW, lowest score I can get finishing it is 75/95.
What might that be?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Patience, patience young one. play around. Examine everything. Take a good look at the descriptions - maybe they give you a clue what to do.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
CantFaketheFunk post=6.75152.863190 said:
Patience, patience young one. play around. Examine everything. Take a good look at the descriptions - maybe they give you a clue what to do.
I've examined *everything* and been to every room. Three times. I know the leaning ghost wants 'something more scandalous' than mortal kombat, but I have no idea what the hell that is and nothing in my inventory that could help.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Go back to the dirt. Pay very careful attention there when you examine it. It's a clue :)

Murrah

Aug 28, 2008
Have you ever tried sniffing dirt?? i have, and it was horrible! i end up drinking something
The_Oracle said:
CantFaketheFunk post=6.75152.863190 said:
I've examined *everything* and been to every room. Three times. I know the leaning ghost wants 'something more scandalous' than mortal kombat, but I have no idea what the hell that is and nothing in my inventory that could help.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
*air guitars madly in the air*

EXCELLENT!!! :D

I love my new Hallo-winner badge! It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks to all the mods for this terrific Halloween text game, as well as the funky Halloween badges!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Urk...fercryinoutloud, what the hell does that bored ghost want? Don't say the dirt progression---I tried that and he wasn't interested.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
SimuLord post=6.75152.863323 said:
Urk...fercryinoutloud, what the hell does that bored ghost want? Don't say the dirt progression---I tried that and he wasn't interested.
Hint: Look at the area where the bored ghost is. Also, what do you use at a carnival that takes the form of small pieces of paper? The bored ghost desires those pieces of paper.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The_Oracle post=6.75152.863332 said:
Hint: Look at the area where the bored ghost is. Also, what do you use at a carnival that takes the form of small pieces of paper? The bored ghost desires those pieces of paper.
*facepalm*

I forgot that things are not always as they first appear. Look closer and the truth will be revealed. Victory is mine! (although there's no way in hell I'll be able to figure out those monsters or zombies, seeing that I'm a PC-only gamer!)

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Landslide post=6.75152.859257 said:
sprout post=6.75152.859242 said:
SWEET! that was so much fun. Got stuck several times, but managed to stumble my way thru... I really wanted the badge. Great job guys. :D
Now we make you play Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It'll be fun watching you tear your hair out, and giggle.
Where is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one? I'm praticaly obsessed with the book and really want to play it.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
excellent game, good job, would love to see another by u guys.
id def play it, i found the game hard(being my first text adventure) but once i got the rythem of it it was ok

thx for the fun and thx to people for the nice subtle tips ;)

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Landslide said:
sprout post=6.75152.859242 said:
SWEET! that was so much fun. Got stuck several times, but managed to stumble my way thru... I really wanted the badge. Great job guys. :D
Now we make you play Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It'll be fun watching you tear your hair out, and giggle.
please make a contest out of it!!! that game was awesome and mind destroyingly hard

wow finally finished the game. thanks, it was terrific. do another one please! and i only needed help with 1 ghost. im proud of it! great job on the writing susan, and that map was great too. look at all those cool shiny halloween badges. makes me so excited!

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
sheic99 post=6.75152.863386 said:
Where is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one? I'm praticaly obsessed with the book and really want to play it.
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Try to get the babel fish without the walkthrough for your first few play attempts; it builds character. Right before you start empathizing with Marvin's outlook on life, then take a peek at the walkthrough to save your sanity. Can you imagine those gamers of yesteryear, without the full power of the internet at hand to guide their explorations, testing themselves against this unforgiving landscape? When they raise their canes and declare that games were uphill both ways back in the day, now you understand their madness.