Phantom of the Arcade - A Text Adventure

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Yay! I finally made it. Had some real trouble with the Mortal Combat guy until i saw the Jack Thompson hint, then it all made sense.
The crane was also a bit tricky, but that's probably me being slow.
All in all it was great fun. More so than some of the regular games with graphics I've tried.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The chubby ghost and the leaning ghost are the two most subtle puzzles in the game, and therefore the hardest. Feel very proud if you got them with no clues at all. :)

As for those extra ten points...since it's already Wednesday, I'll tell you they're to be had in the Snack Bar, but the rest is up to you.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
I enjoyed that immensely. I would like to thank you for a lack of mazes, be they of twisty passages, thirsty cabbages, or anything else. I also appreciated a collection of puzzles that avoided logic from Bizarro-World.

I was surprised that none of the classic 'magic words' got a reaction from the parser. When/if the next adventure launches, make sure to include dual-wielding; I mean, Halo 2 had it, and that was last generation! ;-)

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Does anyone know how to get that game to work? All I keep getting is a red x in the corner. I've asked a few times before hand and so far I haven't had any luck getting help to try and get the game to run for me.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Dammit! I've played through, gone as far as I can go without asking for hints...

I'm missing chapter 2, I'm pretty sure I need to spice up the american dude's lunch (did I avoid the spoiler?), but it won't let me. It won't let me pick his lunch up, nor will it let me open the spice unless I've got his lunch. hint please

Feb 13, 2008
dalek sec said:
Does anyone know how to get that game to work? All I keep getting is a red x in the corner. I've asked a few times before hand and so far I haven't had any luck getting help to try and get the game to run for me.
Probably best to download the z8 and Frotz so you can play it offline.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
dalek sec said:
Just guessing wildly from the info provided, you're running IE and the security settings are blocking Java by default. Since it's doesn't appear to offer an option to temporarily allow in the error message itself, you'd probably have to dig around in the preferences to turn it on, which may or may not be an ideal solution for you.

Then again, you could be using a different browser and have an older version of Java. In that case you can grab the latest here:
Delmar Wynn said:
The game runs a Java applet. You might visit http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and get the latest version of Java. That will also repair any Java plug-in issues you might have.
If you're running Firefox 3, however, it has a bug running various Java applets, and this is likely one of them. Until they patch that bug, you'd need to use another browser or play the downloaded version.

The downloadable version of the game is exactly the same, and will still generate a code for the badge, so if all else fails, grab it and the z-code interpreter of your choice.

ProjectileVomit

Jan 18, 2008
can someone give me hints on The Street Fighter Cabinet and the Lanky Ghost?
nvm, took me so long to get that one- its insert ....in

can somebody PM me on hints of getting Chapter 2,4, and 8?

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dude, you don't spice up another man's lunch...
I'm sorry, my English is getting in the way.

Blasted grammar...I've got my thesaurus out.

EDIT: Ah....truly you can't make the horse drink.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
nilcypher said:
khoryos post=6.75152.859163 said:
Unfortunately, whilst I know what I have to do I have no idea how to do it!
I can't get the damn game out of the machine.
Well I'm sure that when push come to shove, you'll figure it out.
Thanks for letting me finish the game. Also, max points woohoo!

Now all I need is them zombies...

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
needausername said:
please help me with chapter 4, I have the "dirt" but I don't know how to use it.
Maybe there's some kind of machine around that could make it useful?