Phrases That Make You "Cringe"

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
Interesting for me you have to replace /arsehole with /asshole?region=us
That would explain it. Mine's set to English. So tell me then, what do you say when you mean 'ass' as a small hoofed equine e.g. the Biblical reference 'The ass saw the angel'?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
catalyst8 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Interesting for me you have to replace /arsehole with /asshole?region=us
That would explain it. Mine's set to English. So tell me then, what do you say when you mean 'ass' as a small hoofed equine e.g. the Biblical reference 'The ass saw the angel'?
Donkey, in the US they are the same, ass is just very uncommonly used. Generally by kids trying to be "clever" and get away with swearing

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Trivea said:
"I don't read." Well, I guess you're fucked at restaurants, aren't you, dumbass? If you don't like to read books, fine. Some people don't (and those people are retarded). That's their prerogative. But unless someone is completely illiterate, EVERYBODY reads.
When people say they don't read it is usually implied that they mean books/magazines/etc.
I don't care what is implied, it's the phrasing of it. It isn't that hard to say "I don't read books." If people say something literal like that, they should be prepared to be taken literally.

Duatha

Aug 9, 2011
This is an internet thing but mine is "there so stupid" i just hate the improper use of the word form.

Oct 30, 2010
catalyst8 said:
4173 said:
catalyst8 said:
artanis_neravar said:
catalyst8 said:
1. "My bad." Your bad what?

2. "I'm good." Please define good & evil.

4. "Asshole." A pit for a hoofed mammal of the horse family.

All ignorant & imbecilic statements.
Imo, those are just you being an grammar nazi. Really. Are you pissed off if someone says "im good"? Would you really ask the to define good?
Of course, unless they're making a genuine claim to being particularly virtuous. Fortunately I know only one person who uses the phrase, the rest of my friends are adults & speak accordingly.

Are you annoyed when people use contractions in speech?

My bad - I accept responsibility for the undesirable event we were discussing.

I'm good - I find my general state of being, relating to your query, satisfactory.

Seems like reasonable time saving measures to me.
Not at all, I'm annoyed when people fail to communicate by using the wrong words. 'Bad' & 'good' are both adjectives, as such their purpose is to qualify. To say 'My bad' is as meaningless as saying 'Those heavy' or 'His red', because the possessive determiner ('His') is not the subject of the qualifying adjective.
In this case, they are using "bad" as a pronoun. Yes, that is playing fast and loose with English conventions, but I don't think it impedes communication. Certainly, it is your prerogative to be against this sort of language manipulation.

I flat-out disagree about "I'm good" though.* Good has other meanings beyond the moral meaning, one of which is along the lines of satisfied/satisfactory. Therefor "I'm good" can express satisfaction on a particular topic, or overall.

*Yes, if someone walked up to you out of the blue and said "I'm good" it would not communicate sufficient information, but that's true of all sorts of phrases and words.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
"Epic win"

"Epic fail"

"Owned"

"Pwned"

Anything 1337

"That's like, your opinion, man"

"The cake is a lie"

"Atheists are a religion"

"U mad" (this one only when it's used out of context. I know it's a trolling mechanism, so when used properly, it's ok)

"Get a life"

you're instead of your and viceversa

"Bro"

"Imma let you finish"

"Up in this *****"

"Gem"

"Oh, it was pretty horrible, I did really bad" - proceeds to show a 100% score or a perfectly executed masterpiece drawing/sculpture/whatever. tl;dr fake modesty

"I don't know anything about this subject, but here's my opinion"

"I don't want to be racist/a jerk/sexist" - proceeds to be racist/a jerk/sexist

Anything in japanese. "Kawai", "desu", "ugu", and the infamous "~" that they had to google what key was it binded to in order to type it. Damn weeaboos

Emoticons. ALMOST ALL OF THEM. "xD", "<3", "T.T", etc. The only acceptable ones are ":)", ":(", ":|", and maybe "^.^" if not too overused.

And a lot lot more than I can't remember now...

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
"Where I come from, we..." Makes me want to punch people, and scream "WELL YOU'RE HERE NOW, *****!" in people's faces. But I act more civil and just tell them to feck off instead.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
holy_secret said:
Because I said so.
This takes the price. This sentence makes me want to take something hard and introduce it to the speakers head.

No, not because you said so. I require a reason for why you are saying what you are saying or wanting me to do something you want me to do.
It's not as bad as using "because". Just saying "because" drives me insane.

Bubba Doongai

Sep 3, 2011
Father Time said:
"It's the exception that proves the rule."

The existence of an exception is evidence against there being a rule.

A lot of these phrases that people complain about like "I could care less" yeah you know they mean the opposite of that. But in this they mean what they say and what they say makes no logical sense.
I'm pretty sure that phrase actually started as "The exception that tests the rule." Prove was supposed to mean test but people took it to mean that it verifies the rule. Unfortunately, some people will just spout sayings without even thinking about the logical sense beforehand.

Jenitals

Jan 15, 2011
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:
Saltyk said:
catalyst8 said:
How do you feel about the term "bro"? Not just in the "you mad, bro?" troll comment, but just in general? For example, when a friend calls you bro.
It doesn't irritate me in the least, much like 'ma' is abbreviated for mama & 'pa' for papa (though there's a strong etymological argument that they are also abbreviated forms of mater & pater). 'Bro.' is also an accepted written abbreviation for some members of religious orders in the same way that 'Dr.' abbreviates doctor.
Personally, I don't like the term "bro". I always think of drunk ignorant frat boys. Even when friends call me "bro", I always think of drunk ignorant frat boys. I could probably add it to my list of phrases that make me cringe.
Me and my mate call each other bros and we're definitely not drunk neither are we "frat" (what is that?) and we are most definiteley not male. It's just a less traditional or, for lack of a better word, cheesy way for saying we're best friends.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
PureChaos said:
Seek and ye shall find

If i'm looking for something and i ask someone if they know where it is and they say that, it really bugs me. if they don't know, they could just so 'no'. When I do find it and they get all smug going 'see, i told you you'd find it if you looked' it just annoys me more.
That's a quote from the New Testament (from the Bible)

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
sergnb said:
"Epic win"

"Epic fail"

"Owned"

"Pwned"

Anything 1337

"That's like, your opinion, man"

"The cake is a lie"

"Atheists are a religion"

"U mad" (this one only when it's used out of context. I know it's a trolling mechanism, so when used properly, it's ok)

"Get a life"

you're instead of your and viceversa

"Bro"

"Imma let you finish"

"Up in this *****"

"Gem"

"Oh, it was pretty horrible, I did really bad" - proceeds to show a 100% score or a perfectly executed masterpiece drawing/sculpture/whatever. tl;dr fake modesty

"I don't know anything about this subject, but here's my opinion"

"I don't want to be racist/a jerk/sexist" - proceeds to be racist/a jerk/sexist

Anything in japanese. "Kawai", "desu", "ugu", and the infamous "~" that they had to google what key was it binded to in order to type it. Damn weeaboos

Emoticons. ALMOST ALL OF THEM. "xD", "<3", "T.T", etc. The only acceptable ones are ":)", ":(", ":|", and maybe "^.^" if not too overused.

And a lot lot more than I can't remember now...
You must not spend much time on the internet if it bothers you that much.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Lately, it has been anything movie bob says with his boston accent. Ugh.
OT: "I trust my (bf or gf) I just don't trust the person they are hanging out with."

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Not really a phrase, but when people say 'Brilliant' like Will fron The Inbetweeners, it makes me so cross, don't really know why, but it just does.

Kinkaido

Aug 27, 2011
One that's common among kids at my school: "I seen that."
No! You SAW that or HAVE SEEN it! Learn grammar, please!

And I'm chiming in with the "I could care less." haters. Is adding the n't really so hard?