Physicist Definitively Rules Time Travel Impossible

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
joeman098 said:
I saw this Stephen Hawking show about time travel and he believed that going backwards was impossible but going forward by traveling at near light speed was! just it is a one way ticket
I saw that too, and im more inclined to believe Mr. Hawking!

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
If there is one thing we know it's that you can't 100% disprove anything.

Admittedly I want to believe in time travel for my own selfish reasons, but even so, this is just a paper at the moment, and we've yet to see these results properly digested by the rest of the scientific community.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
This explains why marty started to disappear earlier than he should have...some other time traveler was doing the same thing in another dimension...about 1 minute earlier.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
As it so happens I know a time traveler, or he could just be mentally unstable but I prefer to believe the latter. So meh.

Reaganomics

Russian Roulette Runner-up
Jun 14, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
This area of physics is something I really don't understand. I can grasp most of the rest of it but astrophysics melts my brain; psychology is more my speed. Did you know for example that without any external indicators of time (i.e living in an underground bunker/cave) your average human reverts to a 25 hour day? (ranges from 21-27). That is all kinds of messed up when you consider that our planet's day/night cycle is fairly consistent time wise.
The planet's day/night cycle is not consistent. Tidal forces between the earth and the moon are slowing the speed of the earth rotation. The moon rotated but the tidal forces of the earth slowed the rotation of the moon to a stop. Doesn't really explain the 25 hour thing though.

OT i know a doctor that might disagree with this scientist.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Before anyone feels they should be able to comment on whether doing something with space time, they should bear in mind that we don't really, as a species, know what time even is. We might be able to understand time, but might be able to account for it in our experiments, but what is time? Is it a dimension? Is it the result of "strings"? Is it the only way our brains can comprehend the existence of a 4th spatial dimension, by viewing one atomic slice at any moment?

I wouldn't rule out time travel, not yet, anyway. There's so much we don't understand that how time works. As with all models, there's going to mistakes made with this. You should always remeber, just over a century years ago, most scientists would have assumed Newtonian mechanics were the do-all-and-end-all of physics. (and, unfortunately, a lot of people still do =\ )

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Steven Hawking said it couldn't be done because its a feedback loop. which as a layman just seems easier to understand.

But u can time travel. Forward in time XD just not backwards is all.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Well thanks for spoiling Doctor Who for me. And save for stock markets, why would you want to go into the past? It's full of disease and everyone speaks like a Shakespeare play, if you're lucky. Those things gave me a headache in High School.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pizza to deliver to one I.C Weiner.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I like the idea of alternate realities. We'll fuck up their timelines, but keep our one pristine. ;)
But what if 'they' decide to get revenge and fuck up our timeline as payback.

Oooh I see some neat potential for time travelling conflicts...

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
blue_guy said:
Anyway it should be pretty obvious that time travel is immposible, pretty much everything causes a paradox (prety much any minor event from far enough back would erase the original time traveller(s)). We also don't even know if the past still "exists" once its stopped being the present (and have no reason to believe it does).
Fundemental flaw in most of the paradox time change theories, it wouldnt really work like that. time traval is invalidated by things other trhan causality. Its peoples fantasies of changing known history which causality can prove impossible, not the ability to go back in time itself. To bring to light a conspirosy theory favourite area, take JFK, a time travller couldnt prevent that, but if it wasnt the identified people there, it could have been a time travller (please note this is just an example I don't really beleive it is vaugely liekly). Changing can't happen in your own universe/dimension, but actually performing an action could if physics allowed a loophole, as long as you know it happened.

On the later point, sure we have no idea either way, butt here are pleanty of similar assumtions in this that we have l;ittle idea about.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
rutger5000 said:
Sporky111 said:
I don't see why everyone automatically thinks "kill Hitler" when time travel comes up. There are much more productive things that could be done. I'd personally go back to some time before the middle ages and start fucking with the Catholic Church. We'll see what the world would be like by now without them stunting scientific progress.
Kill Plato, believe me no man has harmed science more then he has. Had the guy not existed we would have been roughly 2000 years further then we are now.
Personally by the time time travel would be invented in the sci-movie way i doubt anyone would remember any human we today can remember from history

Why would a 4030AD time traveler care about killing someone 5 years before they go and put a bullet in their own head anyway

Time travel to the past doesn't seem to have any practical value what could possibly exist in the past that would be of value to someone with the technology to time travel

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
So...has the multiverse theory been proven then? That whole, killing alternate-Hitler seems like a fun idea but in the multiverse it could be that we're the only universe in which Hitler was 'evil'...
Actually there would be an infinite number of universe, which would mean an infinite number of universes in which Hitler would be evil. You could never run out of Hitlers to kill!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Chrono Trigger says otherwise, and my whimisical nature inlines me to believe the robot and the frog knight.

Those guys would never lie...
The frog is really a toad. And the robot was programmed to lie!

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Another scientist Theorised that time travel would only be possible from the point in time the Time Machine was operational onwards. IE, as soon as it's turned on, some future guy pops out.

"Just to let you know, it works. Gratz."

It was an interesting theory at least, and made a modicum of sense.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Considering only special relativity, time travel was already known to be impossible. Since this man's reasoning is all in terms of special relativity, I don't see what he thinks to have added to the discussion. As far as I can see, he just used his metamaterial as an illustration (a simulation, perhaps) of his reasoning, not an actual experiment in time travel.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
Dragonball Z had time travel spot on? What else did Akira Toriyama get right?!

Plus, to time travel (or jump through the 5th and 6th dimensions) you'd need a time and space machine. Remember, the earth is constantly spinning and orbiting the sun, which in turn is spinning round the milky way, and the galaxy is also moving; therefore the earth that existed 1 minute ago has travelled at the least a few thousand kilometres since that point, so if you went back in time or to another reality, you'd damn well better be wearing a spacesuit, or be in some kind of time-ship that has an FTL drive, so you could shoot off and find earth, which I would imagine depending on how far you go would be like looking for a needle in a haystack the size of the sun.