Please let Pokemon gracefully exit.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Joshimodo said:
Hoho, it looks like another "Terminate421 defends Pokémon with his entirely unbiased viewpoint thread!
Now that's just rude. In all honesty.

You only see me go rageface on haters who have no legitimate reason about it.

DubiousJackson

Jul 17, 2009
Something that I'd love to see brought back is the Pokemon following you from Yellow and SoulSilver, I really like it and would be good to see in the 3d layout games. If they ever were to run out of ideas they could release one HHHHUUUGGGGGGEEEE game and have all the islands or most of them in it, don't know how they would do it, but I would buy it hands down!

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
I just want them to make a mega-game that allows you to travel between all of the regions, not just Kanto/Johto.

And get rid of all the trade/event/weird item thingies you need to get all the pokemon. Just let me go catch the little bastards! Let me have an epic adventure where I track all of them down and finally catch them all in one game. No Pal Park, no transferring, just me and a few thousand pokeballs.

It'd probably need to be a console release though; not sure if handhelds can do all that or not.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pokémon B&W is probably my favourite iteration yet. I'm not going to flame or whine, but even with lackluster Pokés, I say if they've got that caliber of game in them, rock on.

DubiousJackson

Jul 17, 2009
Well I suppose that would at least mean better graphics (theoretically). If it came out on handheld it would be great but I do agree that it may not be able to handle it. And I definitely agree on the events thing, just have each of them in some dungeon/quest etc thing. Just give me a lot of boxes, copious amounts of pokeballs and a new pokeball for no apparent reason other than I want a new one to exist!!!

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'm still enjoying the new Pokemon games and I like it for being the one franchise Nintendo puts out still worth buying. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon all are basically retextured versions of the originals but at least Pokemon feels more like an expansion then a really old game that was photoshopped.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
TheKasp said:
AuronFtw said:
Gen 5 has pokemon modeled after trashbags leaking shit and ice cream cones. It's obvious they're out of ideas. The last best thing they could do is make a huge, immersive MMO, but nintendo fucking blows at making new games/using new ideas, so they'll probably just keep cranking out the same old bullshit.
Gen 1 has a pile of mud and just renamed animals. They were obviously out of ideas back then *sigh*. Please come up with an argument that you did not read somewhere and kept on repeating it over and over again.
I also love some of the evolved forms in gen 3.

Dugtrio... is FUCKING 3 diglets! It's just 3 fucking diglets! ITS JUST THREE DIGLETS!!! :O

Oh yeah and let's not forget the classic; the ball with eyes. Which involves into...

*drumroll*

an INVERTED ball with eyes!

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I stopped enjoying and paying attention to Pokemon after Sapphire and Ruby however Pokemon Conquest has sparked my interest. I tried the Dungeon series and it was alright, but nothing I'd beat or buy sequels of.

GangstaPony

Apr 29, 2012
Please let Star Trek gracefully exit...
Please let Mario gracefully exit...
Please let Legend Of Zelda gracefully exit...
Please let Halo gracefully exit...
Please let Call Of Duty gracefully exit...
Please let Batman movies gracefully exit...
Please let Marvel movies gracefully exit...
Please let How I Met Your Mother gracefully exit...
Please let Game Of Thrones gracefully exit...
Please let Futurama gracefully exit...
Please let Friendship Is Magic gracefully exit...
Please let World Of Warcraft gracefully exit...
Please let Valve/Steam gracefully exit...
Please let Disney/Pixar gracefully exit...

When you agree with the above...
I will agree with you and personally destroy the Pokemon franchise

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Kahunaburger said:
Nintendo has discovered what is essentially crack for 5th graders. Why would they stop making it?
How is it that it stays appealing to the 5th graders even as time passes though? Do new 5th graders get on board, or do the 5th graders from R/B days still play it? The latter has not been the case in my experience, I just wonder how it still has appeal and exposure to young audiences in this constantly changing atmosphere.
If this graph:

is anything to go by, I'd say a little of both. I've got a younger cousin playing pokemon now, and it seems to me that the core components that appealed to me and my friends at her age (collectible monsters that look cute and/or awesome, strong social elements, well-designed progression mechanics, and good marketing) are the elements that appeal to her.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Oh crap, do you know what you've just done?
Here, take this:

So much flame...
Just reading the first page his singed my eyebrows through my computer screen.
I would say something about opinions and all that, but I value what's left of my eyebrows.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
RobfromtheGulag said:
Kahunaburger said:
Nintendo has discovered what is essentially crack for 5th graders. Why would they stop making it?
How is it that it stays appealing to the 5th graders even as time passes though? Do new 5th graders get on board, or do the 5th graders from R/B days still play it? The latter has not been the case in my experience, I just wonder how it still has appeal and exposure to young audiences in this constantly changing atmosphere.
The anime is still going, to my knowledge. I believe it airs at like 7 or 8AM on CN or something, which is usually about the time children are getting up to get ready for school/eating breakfast, including (I think) a new episode sometime on Saturday and I know that around noon on Saturdays they always have like two episodes on.

Not to mention that the TCG is still going strong, I'm not sure where exactly, but it's still alive and kicking pretty well if the cards are still being made along with full CG commercials for each new iteration of cards.

All in all it has the exact same appeal as it did for us when we were young as the new generation has now. "Woah, this guy has a cool pet with super powers! I want one! Wow, he's on an adventure to become the Pokemon Master instead of sitting in boring old school!"

Honestly, that's why everyone watched the show. Ash, unlike us, got to go on adventures with monsters and his friends instead of sitting in school. It made us feel like we were on the adventure ourselves.

This is also why the anime hasn't changed, and they have now begun to replace all key characters except Pikachu, and why he is always so weak, and why you never even really hear about Ash's other Pokemon or exploits in other regions (Seriously, does nobody recognize the guy who has reached at least the semi-finals in every league, beaten every gym so far, defeated every battle frontier, and the Orange league?) In fact, the only time you actually ever see or hear about Ash's other Pokemon anymore is usually the League battle section of the newest season, where he always brings over two or three older-STRONGER-faces to fight with. I'm not even sure if he talks to Oak or his own mother anymore.

Because this way, it's fresh, and it's new for the new generation of viewers. GF finally realized that after four generations that most of the original viewers probably aren't watching it anymore.

I'm rambling.

TL;DR

Kids will always like what kids have always liked. It's not the quality of the show, but how it is presented.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
J. Mazarin said:
SUDDENLY: OPINIONS EVERYWHERE

Pokemon was an enormous part of my childhood, though I generally stopped paying attention after gen 2, sticking with R/B/Y and G/S/C. Black and White revived my interest in the series, and I'm genuinely looking forward to B/W 2 as it looks like they have a chance to be the best Pokemon games I've ever played.

You grew up. You got older. And now, you don't enjoy the new games as much as you enjoyed the older games when you were a kid. Sounds like you have a TRAGIC variation of Star-Wars-Fan-Itis.

Just because you don't like the series anymore doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. It's bigger than it's ever been, and it'll continue to grow whether you like it or not.

That analogy doesn't work because the prequels were objectively complete shit. No, you can't argue against it, Red Letter Media made it a fact already.

Pokemon died for me after the ones with Regi things. Y'know, those golems that required a ridiculously unintuitive sequence of events to make appear and then required at least 60 attempts to capture with ultraballs.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
That analogy doesn't work because the prequels were objectively complete shit. No, you can't argue against it, Red Letter Media made it a fact already.

Pokemon died for me after the ones with Regi things. Y'know, those golems that required a ridiculously unintuitive sequence of events to make appear and then required at least 60 attempts to capture with ultraballs.
Nobody will ever argue they were not.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Edit: quoted the wrong post. I hate this new forum look with a fiery passion.

Totally agree. I loved the Mystery Dungeon games.

OT: Opinions presented as facts. A successful series which generated a lot of income for Nintendo should be discontinued. I wont bother to go into more details why this thread is stupid.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Oooh great, Another thread, of someone else not liking the GEN 5 Pokemon's. *Sigh*

I admit, i haven't been on Black or white for ages, but that's because i have pretty much done everything. However when BW2 comes out in England i'm going to be bossing it!

Gen 5 added some of the best Pokemon around, such as Axew's evolutionary forms, Joltik and his evolution, and Snivy's forms and Oshawotts. Tepig is awesome but his evo's are meh.

Also we got Dark/Dragon type, and a Bug/fire type, which completely shakes things up from a competitive stand point, plus the new moves that are included are awesome (Now Electrode finally has a use instead of just his speed with Electro-ball)

Oooh plus, BW2 is a sequel, not a new game entirely, someone should do research on Serebii or something, because BW2 looks to be the best thing that ever happened to Pokemon, it's the first time a region has been completely changed and has had different gyms, plus Hardmode (which im guessing is like New game +) looks to shake things uo even more!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Know what I'd love to see in a pokemon spinoff game?

Real-time combat.

Like, you travel the overworld, then are transported to a themed arena when you run into a pokemon/trainer. I imagine smash bros./mega man (x,zero,zx) style combat with your pokemon's 4 move translating to the 4 B moves of a smash bros. character.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I can agree that Gen V had some weak designs, but really, every generation has its weak spots. I mean, some of Gen I's designs included a half-dozen eggs with eyes, an upside-down Pokeball with eyes, a pile of sludge with eyes and a purple rat. For every good design, there were at least two bad ones. It's simply the nature of the game; when you base Pokemon designs on common objects and animals, you're bound to end up with a few duds before long.

The games themselves are only improving, each generation having improved and built upon the generation that came before it. Really, the series has limitless potential, and there's nowhere to go from here but up.