Plot twists and big reveals you solved by yourself

RoyalSorceress

Jun 15, 2010
I'm really good at sniffing out plot twists and am rarely ever surprised. In fact I think the only plot twist to surprise me is the one at the end of the Harry Potter series, you know the one about Snape.

EDIT: Actually I remembered that there were a few plot twists in One Piece that surprised me. Brook's past, the whole thing with Ace, and Hody's motivation were big ones.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
RoyalSorceress said:
I'm really good at sniffing out plot twists and am rarely ever surprised. In fact I think the only plot twist to surprise me is the one at the end of the Harry Potter series, you know the one about Snape.
That's the only thing I ever correctly called. I'm usually rubbish with that kind of thing.

I totally called that the Titanic would sink though. Oh yeah, I'm a damn psychic.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I guessed what the plot twist of Bioshock would be close to it actually happening. Partly because I've seen the sort of thing happen before, and partly because it was a natural conclusion that
<color=grey>the main character is a manchurian candidate because I already knew about the internet's obsession with the phrase "would you kindly."

Also, that <color=aliceblue>Atlas would betray you, but that was laughably obvious a third of the way through, assuming you've been paying attention to the audio logs.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
In The Darkness II

Right from the beginning I figured the visions that Jackie was having of Jenny were the the result of the Angelus messing with his head, and that it had taken Jenny has its host. I was never heavily into the Darkness lore, but I knew what the Angelus was because of my cousin who is a huge Darkness fan. It was made kind of obvious by the fact that ever time Jackie had one of these visions the Darkness would say "IT LIES!!!", emphasis on the word 'it'.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Without knowing almost anything about the franchise I knew who the bad guy was going to be in Deus ex: human revolution the second I saw him. I became very suspicious the first time he was even mentioned.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
In Mass Effect 2, I kind of figured
Garrus was Archangel
the moment I saw his armor.

Also, in Portal 2, I pretty much figured on
GLaDOS being Caroline

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Bruce Willis is dead the whole time

Kevin Spacey is Keyser Söze

Edward Norton is Tyler Durden

etc. etc.

I usually figure out plot twists almost immediately just based on the tone of the film and through the application of basic observational and deductive reasoning I acquired from having watched many a murder mystery with my mother when I was a kid.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I knew who Altas was from the moment his family was killed, even when I didn't know what his name would be, because well...
The Polito form is dead, insect.

Jade Empire...that one bugged me as the game dragged on and on and on.

Fucking Slumdog Millionare, knew the final question, who he would call and what he would do about ten minutes in...I walked out at that stage.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Phasmal said:
I dunno if I was supposed to already know (it was pretty obvious) but I knew straight away that
Quincy Sharp was the spirit of Arkham. Their voices are exactly the same.
I figured that one out, after you hear the first one you find and next hear him as himself.

Tank207 said:
In The Darkness II

Right from the beginning I figured the visions that Jackie was having of Jenny were the the result of the Angelus messing with his head, and that it had taken Jenny has its host. I was never heavily into the Darkness lore, but I knew what the Angelus was because of my cousin who is a huge Darkness fan. It was made kind of obvious by the fact that ever time Jackie had one of these visions the Darkness would say "IT LIES!!!", emphasis on the word 'it'.
I didn't see that coming until just after the carnival stuff.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Stasisesque said:
The ending to Lost, along with every one who ever watched even 5 minutes of the first episode, 10 years prior to its cancellation.
I had never seen the show and I called the ending when the series started. I was till in highschool then and I specifically said

It will turn out they're all dead

I think it was based on a book, which is probably how I called it.
What got me into LOST was that the producer promised, in the off-season gap between Season 1 and Season 2, that a) there would not be a copout ending, nor ambiguous or non-ending and b) all the big theories already postulated to him -- most notably this specific theory itself -- were wrong. I stopped watching LOST at the midway ending with the flashforwards where everything major was tied up, but with enough minor loose ends to keep producing episodes for the dedicated fans. If he did indeed pull this stunt as the final, final ending, after suckering people into watching by explicitly promising that would not be what happened, then that's disgraceful.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
snave said:
I stopped watching LOST at the midway ending with the flashforwards where everything major was tied up, but with enough minor loose ends to keep producing episodes for the dedicated fans.
I have yet, to this day, to see an episode of LOST in any quantity of time. Maybe I saved myself the time?

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
snave said:
I stopped watching LOST at the midway ending with the flashforwards where everything major was tied up, but with enough minor loose ends to keep producing episodes for the dedicated fans.
I have yet, to this day, to see an episode of LOST in any quantity of time. Maybe I saved myself the time?
It had its highlights. Namely, Season 1, bits of Season 2 and Season 4. Season 3 and the filler bulk of Season 2 were terrible.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Pretty much everything that going happen in Avatar I figured out after the first 10 minutes or so, when they got done explaining the basic premise of the movie. It was laughably predictable after that, but despite that I still managed to enjoy the movie.

I figured out the killer in quite a few Bones episodes because I noticed a pattern with it, every killer will either have appeared in the first 5-10 minutes of the episode or just come out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes of the episode, the killer almost never shows up halfway through, and they will never not figure out who the killer is either.

Captcha: Smoking Guns

My, how psychic captcha, you must have seen me coming an hour ago.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I'm actually really good at it, annoyingly so actually that my friends just tell me to shut up if I'm about to say something about a game or movie, but the funny thing is that I did not at all see the KotoR twist coming, probably because I didn't know crap about Star Wars really. Heck I played it less than 4 years ago in college, which made me...22ish? My buddy actually subtly wanted to hang out when I was in the reveal area just so he could watch me flip at the reveal, which I did.

Other than that I called both who the kid was in the pit and who would be Robin in Batman with little knowledge of Batman universe both in their first or second appearance on screen, only ever seen that one and the 2nd of the series of the movies, and the Batman: The Animated series, never read any of the comics. Tate only as the actual badguy, not specifics since I didn't know who Liam Neeson's character was really.

I'm blanking on actual movies, but I know I've completely undone hours upon hours of prep for a lot of tabletop games I've played in by guessing every part of our DM's plots, which is only funny so many times.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
irani_che said:
Obvious one from Dark Knight Rises

the kid who climbed out of the prison, i mean, the kid didnt have the mask, they kept saying he was injured in the prison and got it there
Yeah I got that too, they said they attacked and beat up Bane, but when the kid was climbing out, it had no injuries.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
nathan-dts said:
Eclpsedragon said:
I guessed the whole big plot twist at the end of The Sixth Sense.

Video games are easy to predict, especially when a character is going to die.
There is one character I keep guessing will die, but to my surprise hasn't yet.

Sully from Uncharted,
he's the mentor character and with everything that happened in Drake's Deception,
it just seemed like they were going to kill him.
Yeah, don't be suprised; Uncharted is a fun series. It's a videogame that takes inspiration from old cinema and literature. Everything works out for the hero at the end and he gets the girl. Hell, he managed to get the same girl three different times.
Yeah, but I was so sure they'd kill him off for dramatic effect.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
The first time I saw The Princess Bride:

That Wesley was the Man in Black. It's kinda obvious.

Doesn't keep me from liking the movie, though.