Points where you've disagreed with Yahtzee

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
needausername said:
With almost everything he says...
This pretty much sums it up.

He is no God. Just another reviewer putting a funny spin on his reviews.

Why many people seem to agree with him is beyond me. Unless you all have no opinions of your own.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
When he said it was stupid to unclock characters in SSB I dissagree.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Aanorith said:
I don't think anyone can say they have never disagreed with Yahtzee with a strait face.
He usually presents some valid points of complaint but I have never fallen off my chair in chock if that's what your asking.
We know that, but the thread is about you telling the others what it was that you disagreed with.

BardSeed

Aug 4, 2008
I thought Saint's row two was terrible. It's definitely nowhere near as good as GTA 4, in my opinion.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
People need to realize that Yahtzee's bread and butter is making fun of every game that they put on his table. If his standards really were as impossibly high as his reviews seem to indicate, there is no possible way he could have been a gamer for his entire life. Sure, he does call out developers on some BS every now and then but for the most part his reviews are just comedy bits. Now, go out there and get some opinions of your own.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
When he said that the standard Halo fare was as simple as 'humans rule aliens suck they are stealing ancient weapons and we'd rather they didn't'. he has no right to say that when his only prior knowledge came from what was arguably the weakest story in the series Halo 3.
Willful ignorance is NOT FACT Mr. Crowshaw.

Other than that though I often agree but I don't really take him that seriously I mean he does nothing to warrant his opinions being any more valid than the next man, just because he's funny doesn't mean he is always right.

Regardless I still respect the man for managing to entertain so many people, I just wish people would stop bowing down and following his every word.

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
Erm, it doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not, he is doing it on purpose to make these reviews FUNNY. Hell, i bet even he doesn't believe some of the criticsm he says during his videos.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
24/7.

Most of the time it's blind rage, mixed with popular quirks and his fabled Yahtzee-ism. I only watch it for the lulz. It's definately not a source of information for me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Chaosut said:
Alot of people probably nod their heads in agreement 95% of the time when you watch a review by Yahtzee. He seems to be able to hit the nail on the head pretty well. However have there ever been points where you've disagreed with him and what are they.
My only one that i can think of is Mirror's Edge. Yes, the singleplayer was short and the story was all style and no substance, however by no means did i think it was a bad game, in fact i thought it was quite good. The controls i particularly liked because they were simple and effective. It deserves points just for managing to pull off a first-pereson parkour game. Mirros's Edge is far from perfect (and probably not worth the full $100, which i sadly paid, sadly because i'm a cheap arse), but i still thought it was a fun game.
Also i disagree that adventure games are dead, though this is only because i want to put me head in the sand, lol.
I still don't understand why he recommended we buy No More Heroes. I thought he hated quick time events and tedium.

I don't mind when he tears apart a game I like, I just hate it when he raves about a piece of crap like No More Heroes. The only game he's praised that actually deserved it was Portal... Saints Row 2 was really fun too.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Pezzer said:
Halo and Fable, his dislike of above.

I think he values technical accuracy too highly.
Yeah, and the bull**** with devil may cry 4. The cinematics were awesome and still are, he wanted to take part in them? So he thinks it would be improved with quick time events?
Also the game gives you the control over the most of action. And the dice thing appeared only twice and wasn't that annoying.

EDIT: and oblivion, and mirror's edge.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
LeonHellsvite said:
Hmmm I see him as a humour kind of reviewer, I often can disagree and thats fine I also (about 70% of the time) agree with him, I dont agree how he hates JRPG's but someone doesnt like JRPG's what else is new?
This. I can't understand his/anyone's hate for J-RPG's. The only arguable points i've heard are:

1) Turn based combat sucks...
2) The character design makes them look too young.

Then there are the idiots who's only arguement is that it is Japanese. That's just un-justifyable prejudice. Aside from the rant...most J-RPG's I play don't have these faults.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Mass effect review, though he also mentions he generally doesn't like RPG's.

I didn't think Painkiller was really that great. I bought it after his review, but still haven't finished it because I keep losing interest. Ironically, I loved Serious Sam.

I also disagree with him on the ending to COD4, being I thought it was appropriately tragic(or bittersweet) and it hardly "comes out of nowhere". I mean, you are being chased by the guys entire army in the last level, and the game already shows it's willingness to show bad things happening to the protagonists(i.e. the nuke).

Really, the point where I listen to him the most is horror games. After having played his Tribly games and watched his reviews, I've picked up on the fact we share similar tastes in horror and if he doesn't think a game is scary(i.e. FEAR), I probably won't either.

BasicMojo

Mar 27, 2008
Lots of the things he has said about certain games line up with my own experience of those games. No More Heroes and Call of Duty 4 are two good examples. He does say a lot of things that I disagree with, but that doesn't make him any less funny. I'm not really one to read reviews, instead basing my financial choices on what I personally like and dislike. While I have found Yahtzee helpful, I've learned to take the things he says with a grain of salt apiece. But that hasn't made me enjoy his reviews any less.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Yahtzee's reviews are more entertainment than review, but I think he brings up a lot of good points about most games.

The only reviews I disagree with are ones where he specifically doesn't play the game the way it was meant to be played, i.e. with other people. You can't complain about a multiplayer game being boring if you play it by yourself: it was never intended to be played that way.

He also takes his points to the extreme, but that's where the humor comes in. If you really listen to what he's saying, most of his "WORST THINGS EVAR" are really just nitpicks, and he admits to that. Read between the lines and you'll see that he actually does enjoy some of the games. Of course, he tends to pick ones that he knows he'll hate, just for the sake of ripping on it.

On the other hand, when he says a game is good (or at least tolerable), it's usually well-worth checking out.

The Eaten Cake

Nov 26, 2008
Like PedroSteckecilo, I like JRPGs, and I also don't particularly care how a story is presented if it's good. There are a few other things, too, like his persistent dismissal of the Wii.