Points where you've disagreed with Yahtzee

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
In all of his reviews there is always something I disagree with but probably in his Brawl video I disagree the most. Not because I like Brawl but it isn't a game were smahing buttons will help in anyway and there were some other things but I cannot remember right now.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
iamq said:
When he said it was stupid to unclock characters in SSB I dissagree.
No I agree with him on this one, purely because it sucks to bring a game over to play at with friends, and you only have the few starting characters/maps/guns whatever it may be

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Daye.04 said:
Secondly, he pulls out almost only crap about games, because negativity sells. Every person is bound to disagree with him on at least one point. Preferbly between 10-50 points
He focuses on the crap, but this balances all those other reviewers who are overly generous with their praise [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale]. And as he's mentioned in several reviews, "no one likes it when I'm being nice to a game". I see him more as an entertainer than a focused reviewer.

Also, this subject has been brought up on the Escapist and elsewhere: video games are not as easy to review as other media. Other critics can spend two hours watching a movie, or listen to a CD a couple of times, or spend a couple of days reading a book, or grab dinner at a restaurant, and review it. But can you really make an honest appraisal of a video game after a week of play?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
A lot of points. The one that comes to mind is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. But I guess I reacted extra hard to that one since I'm a first class SSB fanboy.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
About 85-90% of what he says.

The extra special care he takes to point out the crap in games is why I don't see him as a valued reviewer, because he doesn't cover enough points to be a valid reviewer in my eyes.

Also let's not forget the fact that if this man was not (occasionally) funny no one would even consider him to be a good reviewer.

One of the most glaring ones I can remember is the Soul Calibur one, about the throw button.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Single player in Halo 3 was ok if you (like me) skipped all the cutscenes.

not playing Halo 1, and only playing Halo 2 online was the deciding factor in that, and most of the single player was good, apart from the bits Halo used to pride itself on, the driving.

now, for this I get 2 distinct options, drive, and have my retarded AI partner shoot at the weakest enemy who couldn't be any further from my vehicle if he were in fucking orbit, or shoot, and have my retarded AI partner drive in circles or come to a total standstill next to the mahoosive tank of death that I'm desperately trying to destroy with my piddly little chain gun.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
There have been a few, but I just sit back and laugh. I think of him more as a pisstake than an actual reviewer. But his words do affect my opinion on a game.

massau

Apr 25, 2009
i don't know by one side he has it right but sometimes he says something wrong like in the hawq review that if u se a plane there it is already on another side (so he means on almoste lighting speed)
its more like if u hear it here it is already there (faster than speed of sound)
but i don't look at it like a review i see it as a weekly entertainment

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Falseprophet said:
He focuses on the crap, but this balances all those other reviewers who are overly generous with their praise [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale]. And as he's mentioned in several reviews, "no one likes it when I'm being nice to a game". I see him more as an entertainer than a focused reviewer.
So you quoted me .. To say .. The exact same thing I did .. Allright.

ChromeAlchemist said:

The extra special care he takes to point out the crap in games is why I don't see him as a valued reviewer, because he doesn't cover enough points to be a valid reviewer in my eyes.

Also let's not forget the fact that if this man was not (occasionally) funny no one would even consider him to be a good reviewer.

One of the most glaring ones I can remember is the Soul Calibur one, about the throw button.
He's not supposed to be a good reviewer. He's supposed to take the piss out of games, because that's what sells. If you look at his very first vids (before he got paid) he was actually trying to review the game. Still being overly negative, because it was supposed to be funny. In the line with his other videos on YouTube.

Sheesh =P

You think Unskippable and Unforgotten Realms are in any way serious? Zero Punctuation is the exact same thing as them. Only Zero Punctuation pretends to be a review.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I think he took the Lord's name in vain at one point, but other than that ....

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Daye.04 said:
Falseprophet said:
So you quoted me .. To say .. The exact same thing I did .. Allright.

ChromeAlchemist said:

He's not supposed to be a good reviewer. He's supposed to take the piss out of games, because that's what sells. If you look at his very first vids (before he got paid) he was actually trying to review the game. Still being overly negative, because it was supposed to be funny. In the line with his other videos on YouTube.

Sheesh =P

You think Unskippable and Unforgotten Realms are in any way serious? Zero Punctuation is the exact same thing as them. Only Zero Punctuation pretends to be a review.
You think I don't know that? Of course I don't think he's a reviewer, it's the damned fanboys that don't know that he's not a real reviewer.

Can you honestly tell me that you haven't seen at least a few 'what trustworthy reviewers are there besides Yahtzee?' threads around here? It irritates me to no end. The fact that it says 'Zero Punctuation reviews (insert game here) means people think he's genuine.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
You think I don't know that? Of course I don't think he's a reviewer, it's the damned fanboys that don't know that he's not a real reviewer.

Can you honestly tell me that you haven't seen at least a few 'what trustworthy reviewers are there besides Yahtzee?' threads around here? It irritates me to no end. The fact that it says 'Zero Punctuation reviews (insert game here) means people think he's genuine.
Wait .. *reads own post* Damnit. I forgot to add that the only ones who thought Yathzee was was a reviewer was his fanboys.

Anyway. Yeah. I hear ya. It's annoying. Those fanboys are one of the worst thing about the Escapist. But as long as they stick to the Zero Punctuation comment section, I'm fine with it. I never enter that area anyway =P

Neo 2.3 Hylan-May

Apr 18, 2009
The Sonic Unleashed review's comment about the 3D "not working"
I semi-raged at that point, because I bring to the metaphorical table, the two Sonic Adventures and to an extent Sonic Heroes. (*coughcoughpointingtohisownthreadcough* [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.112356#1995046])

But, he has a different opinion to me and I accept that.

Now I'll admit that I haven't played Sonic Unleashed and I refuse to because since the aftermath of the Obvious Beta that is Sonic 06, the Sonic fanboys (and with no offense intended to anyone here, I'd be inclined to say around 90% of gamers and game reviewers) have been bashing the franchise due to something that wasn't to their expectations.

Someone told me somewhere that since Sonic 06, Sonic has only been remembered for the 2D games. I say, maybe we should start remembering the early 3D games.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Guitar hero and fable 2. I enjoyed brawl to start with, but it did get extremely boring.