Pokeball Button Combos

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I used to hold to hold down the B button (or was it the A button, whatever button you used to select actions anyway) when tossing Pokeballs. I knew it didn't actually make a difference, I did it anyway.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Either Down and B or the entire D-pad held down with B.
But for some reason I thought that before you used any combination the game was fine, but if you used one even once your catch rate fell unless you kept on doing the combo.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Switch between pushing A and B rapidly to increase the chance of a succesful catch...

I used to do that, but I can't in Heart Gold because I'm to busy holding the pen to push the buttons...

Sep 14, 2009
lol great topic

epninja said:
I use a + b and Down. Its just became apart of when I catch Pokemon now, it feels weird if I don't use the button combo.
this. i almost turned the game off one time when i caught a pidgeotto because i didn't do this combo when i was eating.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I'd always down A and press left and right against the pokeball's wiggling.

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
For the ds I press the letter buttons counter-clockwise and the d-pad clockwise.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
cant remember if i pressed buttons or not but i remember once going up to ho-oh on gold and, without fighting, without weakening, without doing anything at all i throw an ordinary pokebal and

shake shake shake *click* increeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedibly improbably, but possible

ive often thought of that as the second most improbable thing in my life, the first, improbably enough, also features pokemon

on crystal id just won a battle and i went to check one of my pokemons stats but i selected my blissey by mistake (now remember, blisseys family bring luck so this is especially "ohmygosh!") it turned out that, as of the last battle, blisseys total gathered exp points had reached EXACTLY 100000 points SPOT ON!!! i mean, the odds of that are like winning the frickin lottery!!!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I usually mash the A button until it says I caught it.

Calumon: Try catching a Digimon, they even harder! >.<

[sub]The joke is is that in Digimon battle there is only one way to catch them and thats by pressing capture, and you have like a 1 in 100 chance of getting it. Grind Tastic.[/sub]

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
I press A in time with the wiggling of the pokeball. I swear it seems to work when I get the timing just right. XD

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
It used to be hold-A-as-soon-as-the-ball-closes. Since Sapphire or so, it's become pointedly-avoid-pressing-anything-to-break-oneself-of-a-habit.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
D4zZ said:
Now it's randomly bashing everything in the hope it will do anything, leaving it to catch something on it's own feels like it won't do anything.
I have ALWAYS (not just now) randomly bashed all the buttons repeatedly at the same time in the hopes it works. However I've also held all the buttons down at the same time. Seems to work. Though I know deep down in my heart it doesn't really help.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Down + A as soon as the ball closes. EVERY TIME.

It had NEVER WORKED but I still do it EVERY TIME.

Ixcius

Apr 16, 2010
Usually mashing a or b or moving the d-pad in the direction the pokemon wobbles.

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
up, down, a, b, left, right. i swear to you it works caught mewtwo with a dusk ball. and also every time i dont use it it just wont catch anyhting

EDIT: also it used to ACTUALLY be a cheat. i have the lvl 70 lugia in a great ball to prove it, as well as mewtwo in a poke ball. idk if it still works in HG and SS but i still do it.

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
I just never let go of A after selecting the Pokeball to use. Never seems to actually help, but yeah.

In D/P/Platinum, though, pressing on the Pokeball on the touch screen after you throw one actually appears to have some effect. Azelf was breaking out of my Pokeballs instantly, I pressed on the touch screen when I threw the next one, and it was held in for 3 jumps before breaking out. Same type of ball, even.

Probably a coincidence, but that's what I do now.

(In case anyone was wondering, I went through probably 50 of every type of ball I had before I finally got it in a Timer Ball.)

Another thing I do sometimes is try to distract myself. Find a reason to look away from the game until the Pokemon has either broken out for the 100th time, or been caught. It has NEVER worked, nor even felt like it would, but I still do it.